Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is a Wilson a CB or a potential Safety?  Wilson, Bridges, Black, Gipson, and Rubell would be an elite DB haul.  All of Black, Gipson, Wilson, and Bridges are listed as CB's on the services.

He's got pretty elite speed, so I would think CB. Him and Bridges seem to be the true CB takes this class while Black falls into the Nickel and Gipson and Johnson-Rubell at Safety.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is a Wilson a CB or a potential Safety?  Wilson, Bridges, Black, Gipson, and Rubell would be an elite DB haul.  All of Black, Gipson, Wilson, and Bridges are listed as CB's on the services.

1 minute ago, Mason Ramsey said:

He's got pretty elite speed, so I would think CB. Him and Bridges seem to be the true CB takes this class while Black falls into the Nickel and Gipson and Johnson-Rubell at Safety.

Corian Gipson used to be listed at Safety. 247 and On3 changed that to CB just recently.

9 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Johnson-Rubell is being recruited for the NB spot.

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Corian Gipson used to be listed at Safety. 247 and On3 changed that to CB just recently.

That's why I lean to him at least starting at S.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Johnson-Rubell is being recruited for the NB spot.

I remember hearing that, but on a live stream yesterday, Gerry compared him to Jalen Catalon (not the biggest or fastest, but super instinctive) and I know he plays S at IMG, so that makes me think he starts at S as well. Black is much more suited to CB or Nickel imo. Guess we'll see if he ends up in the class.

Crystal Ballin': Entering in 11 predictions for Texas targets
With official visit season in full swing, I've entered in 11 Crystal Ball Predictions for Texas targets.
Jordan Scruggs

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin': Entering in 11 predictions for Texas targets
With official visit season in full swing, I've entered in 11 Crystal Ball Predictions for Texas targets.
Jordan Scruggs

The Texas Longhorns have kicked off their first major official visit weekend of the summer in style and serious momentum is building on the Forty Acres. Here are some crystal ball picks that reflect recent intel gathered by the Horns247 staff and myself.

JERRICK GIBSON, RB, IMG ACADEMY
Pick: Texas

Confidence: 6

Texas official visit dates: June 23-25

I’ve joined 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong and Texas recruiting editor Hudson Standish in entering a Crystal Ball for the Longhorns for the nation's No. 2 running back. The Florida native has been viewed as a Texas lean for quite some time, and according to Gibson, that’s largely attributed to the positive relationship with Longhorns’ running backs coach Tashard Choice.

"Coach Choice means a lot to me because we have a very strong relationship," he said. "The way he coaches and the way he puts energy into the guys and pours into them to make them better is a lot. His work speaks for itself too. You've got Bijan going there being a first-round pick. I think his second running back fell into the third round. Then he coached (Jahmyr) Gibbs at Georgia Tech. He's a young coach as well and he's got a good history behind him of running backs." Said the four-star in a recent interview with 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach.

Miami is the chief threat to Texas after a strong official visit last weekend, but my belief is that a strong push on Gibson’s upcoming official visit to Texas could get the job done and we could see Gibson shutting it down within weeks of the completion of his Longhorns official visit.

CHRISTIAN CLARK, RB, PHOENIX (ARIZ.) MOUNTAIN POINTE 

Texas official visit dates: June 16-18

Clark is another running back Tashard Choice has gone all in on and like Gibson, a perfect storm could be brewing on Clark’s official visit to Texas this weekend.

Oregon, Florida State, Georgia round out the other contenders in the mix for Clark, and the Bulldogs have long been thought to be the main competition for the four-star. However, after flipping Chauncey Bowens from Florida and already holding a commitment from Dwight Phillips Jr., Georgia is appearing to be less and less likely for Clark.

No other coach across the country has been more hands-on in the recruitment of Clark than Choice has, and the Texas coach has been able to give Clark a special comparison to that of fellow Arizona native and former Longhorn Bijan Robinson, which has gone a long way in placing Texas in the driver's seat of this one.

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
FREDDIE DUBOSE, WR, SMITHSON VALLEY

Since offering Dubose, the Longhorns have run hot and cold several times for the four-star wideout over the last few years, and in large part due to the consistency in communication, but things changed quickly once Chris Jackson arrived in Austin following the absence that was left by Brennan Marion.

As Dubose’s recruitment has come down the stretch in the last few months, Tennessee, Texas, and UTSA have rounded the competition ahead of the four-star’s upcoming commitment date.

Following this weekend Dubose will take one more official trip to Tennessee, and while the Vols have almost come from nowhere to a serious contender in the last few months, I view Texas as having too much to offer whether it’s proximity, long-term relationships, or Steve Sarkisian’s offense.

Former five-star Johntay Cook was assigned as Dubose’s host this weekend, and since arriving on campus yesterday sources can’t say enough of the job Cook has been doing in recruiting Dubose to join him on the Forty Acres.

PARKER LIVINGSTONE, WR, LOVEJOY

Confidence: 8

I’ve joined 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach in entering a Crystal Ball in favor of the Longhorns for four-star wide receiver Parker Livingstone.

Since arriving in Austin in late January, it’s unlikely that there’s a recruitment Chris Jackson has done a better job with than that of Livingstone’s as the two have created a bond that’s deeper than most coach-recruit relationships.

Earlier this week, it was reported by 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach that Livingstone had canceled his official visit to LSU. The news came days after it was reported that Livingstone has canceled his official visit to Arkansas. With no other officials on the docket (besides Texas) ahead of Livingstone’s planned commitment date (July 1), the Longhorns will have all of the opportunities in the world to win over the four-star’s pledge on his upcoming official visit.

DANIEL CRUZ, IOL, RICHLAND

Confidence: 7

I’ve joined 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach in entering a Crystal Ball in favor of the Longhorns for four-star interior offensive lineman Daniel Cruz.

A true center prospect, Kyle Flood has made Cruz his number one priority for the position since offering last summer and it’s safe to say Flood’s steadiness in recruiting Cruz has gone a long way in the four-star’s recruitment.

While Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M make up the list of contenders battling Texas, the Longhorns have been the ones with pole position for several months. With an upcoming official visit to Texas, I can see Kyle Flood repeating what he did last year by landing several offensive linemen in the summer months with Cruz being one of them as the center prospect plans to announce a commitment before his senior season starts.

(Photo: Courtesy of Santana Wilson)
SANTANA WILSON, CB, DESERT MOUNTAIN

Hearing really positive things on Santana Wilson and have decided to enter a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas, joining 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong on the pick.

Another interesting note on the four-star is that Wilson’s father, Adrian Wilson, is the current Vice President of Player Personnel with the Carolina Panthers.

Wilson’s father also played in the NFL for 14 years and had quite a successful career: First-team All-Pro (2009), 2× Second-team All-Pro (2006, 2008), 5× Pro Bowl (2006, 2008–2011), and Arizona Cardinals Ring of Honor.

TYANTHONY SMITH, LB, JASPER

Texas official visit dates: June 21-23

With a release of a top five schools list that included Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and USC earlier this week, Smith has moved his timeline up and is looking at making a decision ahead of his senior season, with the chance of a commitment even coming as early as July.

The four-star has built a bond with Jeff Choate over the last few months that’s brought the two tighter than ever, and Choate has been able to generate serious momentum with Smith in relating his story to that of DeMarvion Overshown’s.

Smith is at USC on an official till Sunday, before flying over to Oklahoma where he’ll be there through Wednesday before arriving in Austin for a mid-week official trip. While USC has been known to crush their official visits, and even Oklahoma as well to some degree, I don’t see any school or coach catching up to the lead Choate and the Longhorns have built.

MELVIN HILLS, DL, LAFAYETTE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY

The Louisiana native has given rave reviews about Bo Davis, the city of Austin, and the overall trajectory of the program each time he has spoken with Horns247. While my feel on the recruitment has always been that the Longhorns have done an excellent job in establishing themselves as the leader, they’ve especially turned it on within the last month ahead of his Texas official visit which he is currently on.

Ahead of his official visit to Texas, Horns247 spoke with the three-star where he confirmed his recruitment is down to two schools in Ole Miss and Texas. Hills took an official trip to Oxford last weekend and has no other visit plans after this weekends visit to Texas. With Byron Murphy as his host and sources on the visit relating positive feedback to Horns247, I’ve entered in a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas ahead of Hills’ commitment date for July 15.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
LANDON RINK, 2025 DL, CY-FAIR

Texas official visit dates: N/A

The son of former Longhorn defensive lineman Shane Rink, I’ve entered in a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Burnt Orange to land the Texas legacy.

Behind the scenes I had covered Colton Vasek’s recruitment extensively for Horns247, and when speaking with a source last week I had brought up how much Rink’s process reminds of Vasek’s with all of the different visits to schools not named Texas, but the source was quick to shoot my theory down, relating that it’s less of a matter of if, but instead when.

While this one still has a ways to go, I think that the advantage Texas has through the legacy factor while also having one of Rink’s closest friends Trey Owens in the 2024 class already will prove too much to overcome for any other school.

TAYLOR TATUM, RB, LONGVIEW
Pick: USC

After speaking with several sources in Southern California over the last few days, I’ve decided to enter in a Crystal Ball in favor of the Trojans for the nation's No. 1 running back according to 247Sports.

Tatum has been a big fan of Lincoln Riley’s offense going all the way back to his days recruiting Tatum to join the Sooners, and Riley’s history of producing draft picks at the position has been essential to the Trojans pitch. The West coast lifestyle that comes with attending USC has also been a focal point in Tatum’s liking of the Trojans.

At different times throughout the last few months, Michigan has been able to take control of this recruitment and with an upcoming official visit set for June 23 the Wolverines will have another chance to gain momentum in their pursuit of the East Texan. While I could see the official visit to Ann Arbor potentially changing things, I don’t expect the Wolverines to jump USC in this one as the two-sport standout has had extensive talks with the Trojans baseball staff throughout the last few months and plans to play baseball at the next level as well.

KA’DAVION DOTSON, S, DUNCANVILLE
Pick: SMU

Confidence: 7

One of the leaders of the Panthers hard-hitting State Championship defense, I’ve entered in a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Dotson staying in the DFW metroplex with the SMU Mustangs.

At different times throughout the last couple of years LSU and Texas seemed to be the programs with the most steam, but with more defensive back targets emerging this spring for both the Tigers and the Longhorns, all signs have pointed toward Dotson taking his talents to University Park to play for Rhett Lashlee and the Ponies.

A commitment to SMU by Dotson would make him the fourth highest-rated player to ever pledge to the Mustangs in the modern recruiting area according to 247Sports. The 2024 cycle has the potential to be the highest-rated SMU signing class (in the modern era), and if the Mustangs were to get Dotson in the boat I expect him to do his part in making sure other top prospects in the metroplex stay home.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Gerry Hamilton put in CBs for Dubose and Brooks, to Texas.

image.thumb.png.8282edbb0b46afa7ad374c877fe32dc3.png

image.thumb.png.1c10838eb232cdf362a6d088360c4870.png

Interested to hear what they think about Dubose.  Injured last year.  Loves Texas but I was under the impression that he was in the 2nd group of WRs.  

• Rage+1 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls