Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@Reese Bennett fix the title!

OK, once again:

1. I can't do it. Or maybe I don't know how.

2. Thread was started under the old norm--I could not anticipate the current trend. That said, I kind of like the clean look but...

3. If I could, I would change it to "This Looks Like My Team"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

OK, once again:

1. I can't do it. Or maybe I don't know how.

2. Thread was started under the old norm--I could not anticipate the current trend. That said, I kind of like the clean look but...

3. If I could, I would change it to "This Looks Like My Team"

If you select the 3 dots on your first post for the topic it gives you the option to edit the title. 

God speed, good sir

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This off-season there’s been a bunch of talk of this being the most talented and deep Texas team since the prime Mack years. However, with a little luck and some wins in the fall this class could easily end up top 3 or even number 1. My point is that the table is set nicely for us to take off as a program again. It seems like Texas is the “cool” school with a “cool” coach and now has a well established culture to match. Every offseason has some hype but I can’t recall the last time there was this much optimism surrounding the program. I’m trying so hard not to be led astray by the kool aid but this just feels like the beginning of something special.

Texas was always a cool school and all things equal, most kids would pick Austin and Texas over other schools.  What’s happened is that we’re not playing the game with one hand tied behind the back anymore.  It’s not just us.  Look at the schools where most of the top recruits are visiting.  UGA, Texas, Miami, Oregon, USC, tOSU, Tenn.   It’s no wonder Brian Kelly and Saban and running and crying to congress bc NiL isn’t fair.  Fuck those schools, they’ve been cheating and paying since the mid to late 2000s.  It makes me smile when I think about those Bama and lsu inbreds trying to compete with the big boosters and corporate NiL opportunities in big markets.  I hope we put a beating on Saban this fall.  That motherfucker has lucked his way in two two wins against Texas with our QBs getting hurt in the 1st quarter.

• Hook 'Em 9

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Texas was always a cool school and all things equal, most kids would pick Austin and Texas over other schools.  What’s happened is that we’re not playing the game with one hand tied behind the back anymore.  It’s not just us.  Look at the schools where most of the top recruits are visiting.  UGA, Texas, Miami, Oregon, USC, tOSU, Tenn.   It’s no wonder Brian Kelly and Saban and running and crying to congress bc NiL isn’t fair.  Fuck those schools, they’ve been cheating and paying since the mid to late 2000s.  It makes me smile when I think about those Bama and lsu inbreds trying to compete with the big boosters and corporate NiL opportunities in big markets.  I hope we put a beating on Saban this fall.  That motherfucker has lucked his way in two two wins against Texas with our QBs getting hurt in the 1st quarter.

Haven't you heard man?  It's not that.  It's because their fans Really, Really like sports.  Especially baseball and football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This off-season there’s been a bunch of talk of this being the most talented and deep Texas team since the prime Mack years. However, with a little luck and some wins in the fall this class could easily end up top 3 or even number 1. My point is that the table is set nicely for us to take off as a program again. It seems like Texas is the “cool” school with a “cool” coach and now has a well established culture to match. Every offseason has some hype but I can’t recall the last time there was this much optimism surrounding the program. I’m trying so hard not to be led astray by the kool aid but this just feels like the beginning of something special.

You and me both. Just have to show it on the field this year and the rocket will take off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

All the schools you listed had bag games. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

All the schools you listed had bag games. 

USC and Miami did not to the extent that Bama, Clemson, lsu, aggy did.  It’s why their recruiting has all of the sudden taken off.  Cristobal knows  the bag game and they seem to actually have NiL.  Some of those schools had a bag game but they have a much bigger advantage now that they can legally pay people and are in bigger markets with corporate help.  Hell USC is skipping even recruiting high school guys and are now tampering and buying productive players off other teams.  I hope they keep doing it too.  Saban should get a taste of his own medicine.  They didn’t have a big bag game the last decade and it shows in their recruiting rankings like Texas.  Not saying those schools didn’t have some sort of pay for play or didn’t recruit good players.  Just saying that we’re going to see a big shift in the schools elite players will visit.  All of the sudden, Bama and LSU are struggling to keep their own players in state.  CTJ always gives us great insight and we should thank aggy for upping the ante.  Many schools simply don’t have e the fan base or money to compete.  I cannot wait till Texas One Fund starts incorporating some sort of point system where your donations for season tickets go to NiL.  Our Death Star will be even bigger.

Can’t wait for us to get Simmons, Mack, McKinley, Black and watch lsu cry.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

USC and Miami did not to the extent that Bama, Clemson, lsu, aggy did.  It’s why their recruiting has all of the sudden taken off.  Cristobal knows  the bag game and they seem to actually have NiL.  Some of those schools had a bag game but they have a much bigger advantage now that they can legally pay people and are in bigger markets with corporate help.  Hell USC is skipping even recruiting high school guys and are now tampering and buying productive players off other teams.  I hope they keep doing it too.  Saban should get a taste of his own medicine.  They didn’t have a big bag game the last decade and it shows in their recruiting rankings like Texas.  Not saying those schools didn’t have some sort of pay for play or didn’t recruit good players.  Just saying that we’re going to see a big shift in the schools elite players will visit.  All of the sudden, Bama and LSU are struggling to keep their own players in state.  CTJ always gives us great insight and we should thank aggy for upping the ante.  Many schools simply don’t have e the fan base or money to compete.  I cannot wait till Texas One Fund starts incorporating some sort of point system where your donations for season tickets go to NiL.  Our Death Star will be even bigger.

Agree with the last sentence, would be epic! Mack is going to play football and baseball right?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

July 1. Not a long wait. 

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, victory88 said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

In a bit of wet blanket news, AL DE Jordan Ross is on an OV to Tennessee and said they are in his top 3 along with UGA and UF. 

Good player but was always a longshot for us.  Colin Simmons, Danny Okoye, Zina Umeozulu, and maybe a fourth guy like Solomon Williams or Deshawn Warner if the coaches feel like we need the numbers, that should be our '24 Edge class.  Combine that with an interior DL class of Dominick McKinley, Alex January, Jayden Jackson, and Melvin Hills, we're talking about maybe the best defensive line recruiting class in Texas history.  Ross would be a nice cherry on top, but if we get all these more realistic targets I'm not going to miss him at all.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.2f0f8d5062ed7382e3f40344bcb1921e.png

So we'd take all of Brooks, Saina, and Kibble?  We have picks for all three and they all seem like OG.  Maybe they view Saina as a Tackle?  Kibble plays LT for Humble.  Would also think they'd stay on/save a spit for DeAndre Cartet since he's taking an OV in September.

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns 5-star official visit weekend is scheduled to conclude around noon today with prospects heading back home.

Steve Sarkisian and staff already have one commitment from the weekend in 4-star running back Jerrick Gibson. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder chose Texas over Miami and Tennessee.

Along with Gibson, the staff hosted 19 official visitors this weekend headlined by the nation’s No. 1 ranked EDGE prospect Colin Simmons.

Simmons is joined on the list of official visitors by five-stars Kobe Black, Terry Bussey and Dominick McKinley. There are 15 combined five-star and four-star ranked prospects from the states of Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey, Arkansas and Indiana.

Inside Texas brings the IT community the recruiting game of yes, maybe or no as the 5-star weekend comes to a conclusion. Yes is a Texas clear leader. Maybe are recruitments Texas has a legit chance to win. And No is pretty obvious.

Yes
Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 4 (5-star)
Visit schedule: Miami June 9-11 (OV), Alabama June 16-18 (OV), Oregon June 20-21, Texas June 23-25 (OV), Texas A&M June 26-28 and LSU November 11 (OV)
The Juice: Texas needed to hit a home run on this official trip. As of Sunday morning, Sark could send Shohei Ohtani to the plate. The definition of a total team effort recruitment. – Justin and Gerry

Daniel Cruz, IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 198 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Ohio State June 2-4, Texas A&M June 9-11, Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: Texas or Oklahoma. Like my On3 RPM.

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 382 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: South Carolina June 2-4, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: IT will be surprised if this one doesn’t go Texas’ direction.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 194 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: USC June 2-4, Michigan June 9-11, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas remains the leader.

Corian Gipson, CB/DB, Lancaster (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 67 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Clemson June 2-4, TCU June 13-14, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Inside Texas wishes Corian Gipson a very Happy Birthday!

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 22 (5-star)
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma June 9-11, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25, LSU September 8
The Juice: IT considers Texas the heavy favorite.

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 411 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 2-4, USC June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: IT believes Texas holds a lead over USC with Texas A&M third.

Nate Kibble, IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 485 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 9-11, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas is considered the leader over Texas A&M

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 471 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas Tech June 2-4, LSU June 9-11, Florida State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 200 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 9-11, Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas has been trending over Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Maybe
Daniel Calhoun, OT, Roswell (Ga.) Walton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 114 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 2-4, Alabama June 9-11, Auburn June 12-13, Tennessee June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Georgia and Texas is still where the decision is expected to come from.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24 (5-star)
Official visit schedule: Ohio State June 2-4, Texas A&M June 9-11, Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: The visit has gone very well. The mom likes the academic piece with the University of Texas.

Jayden Jackson, DL, Brownsburg (Ind.) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 550 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Florida June 2-4, Ohio State June 9-11, Miami June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas and Ohio State were ahead of Miami headed into June. But the OVs to Columbus and Coral Gables were wildly popular. Jackson is enjoying his official in Austin, but the Horns have a few hills to climb here. – Justin Wells

T.J. Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 331 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Auburn June 2-4, Miami June 9-11, Texas A&M June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 78 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Florida State June 2-4, Florida June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: A numbers buster for LSU. The Longhorns feel like they have a legit shot here.

Selman Bridges, CB/DB, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 46 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: TCU June 9-11, Arkansas June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

No
Terry Bussey, WR/ATH, Timpson (Texas) High

On3 Industry Ranking: No. 17 (5-star)
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: Give the Texas staff credit for a strong effort down the stretch and the receiver sales pitch. Just don’t think the Horns overtook Texas A&M here this weekend. – Justin Wells

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Miss.) Holmes County – *Mississippi State verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 391 (4-star)
The juice: The Saturday returns are a very tough one to flip at the end of the day.

Yes, No, and Maybe

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Texas Longhorns 5-star official visit weekend is scheduled to conclude around noon today with prospects heading back home.

Steve Sarkisian and staff already have one commitment from the weekend in 4-star running back Jerrick Gibson. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder chose Texas over Miami and Tennessee.

Along with Gibson, the staff hosted 19 official visitors this weekend headlined by the nation’s No. 1 ranked EDGE prospect Colin Simmons.

Simmons is joined on the list of official visitors by five-stars Kobe Black, Terry Bussey and Dominick McKinley. There are 15 combined five-star and four-star ranked prospects from the states of Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey, Arkansas and Indiana.

Inside Texas brings the IT community the recruiting game of yes, maybe or no as the 5-star weekend comes to a conclusion. Yes is a Texas clear leader. Maybe are recruitments Texas has a legit chance to win. And No is pretty obvious.

Yes
Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 4 (5-star)
Visit schedule: Miami June 9-11 (OV), Alabama June 16-18 (OV), Oregon June 20-21, Texas June 23-25 (OV), Texas A&M June 26-28 and LSU November 11 (OV)
The Juice: Texas needed to hit a home run on this official trip. As of Sunday morning, Sark could send Shohei Ohtani to the plate. The definition of a total team effort recruitment. – Justin and Gerry

Daniel Cruz, IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 198 (4-star)
The juice: Texas or Oklahoma. Like my On3 RPM.

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 382 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: South Carolina June 2-4, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: IT will be surprised if this one doesn’t go Texas’ direction.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Fort Worth (Texas) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 194 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: USC June 2-4, Michigan June 9-11, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas remains the leader.

Corian Gipson, CB/DB, Lancaster (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 67 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Clemson June 2-4, TCU June 13-14, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Inside Texas wishes Corian Gipson a very Happy Birthday!

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 22 (5-star)
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma June 9-11, Ohio State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25, LSU September 8
The Juice: IT considers Texas the heavy favorite.

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 411 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 2-4, USC June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: IT believes Texas holds a lead over USC with Texas A&M third.

Nate Kibble, IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 485 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 9-11, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas is considered the leader over Texas A&M

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 471 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas Tech June 2-4, LSU June 9-11, Florida State June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 200 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 9-11, Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas has been trending over Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Maybe
Daniel Calhoun, OT, Roswell (Ga.) Walton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 114 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 2-4, Alabama June 9-11, Auburn June 12-13, Tennessee June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Georgia and Texas is still where the decision is expected to come from.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24 (5-star)
The juice: The visit has gone very well. The mom likes the academic piece with the University of Texas.

Jayden Jackson, DL, Brownsburg (Ind.) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 550 (3-star)
Official visit schedule: Florida June 2-4, Ohio State June 9-11, Miami June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The Juice: Texas and Ohio State were ahead of Miami headed into June. But the OVs to Columbus and Coral Gables were wildly popular. Jackson is enjoying his official in Austin, but the Horns have a few hills to climb here. – Justin Wells

T.J. Lindsey, DL, Bryant (Ark.) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 331 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Auburn June 2-4, Miami June 9-11, Texas A&M June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 78 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: Florida State June 2-4, Florida June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: A numbers buster for LSU. The Longhorns feel like they have a legit shot here.

Selman Bridges, CB/DB, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 46 (4-star)
Official visit schedule: TCU June 9-11, Arkansas June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

No
Terry Bussey, WR/ATH, Timpson (Texas) High

On3 Industry Ranking: No. 17 (5-star)
Official visit schedule: Oklahoma June 16-18, Texas June 23-25
The juice: Give the Texas staff credit for a strong effort down the stretch and the receiver sales pitch. Just don’t think the Horns overtook Texas A&M here this weekend. – Justin Wells

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Miss.) Holmes County – *Mississippi State verbal
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 391 (4-star)
The juice: The Saturday returns are a very tough one to flip at the end of the day.

Yes, No, and Maybe

Interesting that they’ve got Bussey in the “No” category when Standish has been so positive about him this weekend. Maybe that one is a done deal no matter how well the visit is going. 

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting that they’ve got Bussey in the “No” category when Standish has been so positive about him this weekend. Maybe that one is a done deal no matter how well the visit is going. 

Gerry did say that if Texas keeps chipping away they still have a shot, but if they add Livingstone, Hampton, and Wingo they likely have no more spots.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry did say that if Texas keeps chipping away they still have a shot, but if they add Livingstone, Hampton, and Wingo they likely have no more spots.

I don't think Hampton is 100% a take at WR only, seems like they'd take him and figure it out later. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls