Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Part of the problem is that the guys who have been historically good at the evaluations aren’t involved with them anymore. They’re higher up in the orgs or just not interested in the tedious nature of how the rankings are crafted and updated. 

I can tell you for a fact that more than a third of the top 250 for On3 would be removed by guys that used to do it, to say nothing of the rivals and 247 stuff. ESPN lost their workhorse and their stuff has turned to absolute shit. 

One other thing that I have been reluctant to post about has been happening since Herman flamed out. The stigma with Texas’ class rankings versus the NFL production has become a widely spread problem in the space. That seeps into how Texas locks and leans are viewed early and how things get ranked later. In other words, if you rank Texas guys well, you’re going to look like an idiot later. Until that narrative turns due to performance, you really are going to see some downside weirdness. The whole moving down of Arch Manning thing in the last cycle played into this. 

I know that sounds conspiracy level on its surface, but consider the human psychology of it and also assume that I’ve been told multiple anecdotes associated to this. It also makes the aggie belief in On3 being a “sip run organization” comical. 

I was looking at the on3 rankings this week and was surprised with how aligned they were with Rivals this cycle in the top 250. It wasn’t a thorough overview, so could be anecdotal, but most prospects I saw had 247 as the outlier. ESPN too, for different reasons. 

Wow they got legacy Jack Anderson, said the world was changing, the world did not change, they got legacy Micah Hudson, said the world was changing...

They beat us in the lowest percentage upset of the year, and that's awesome, they played their odds right and won, shit I hate gambling and even I've been there.

But they win a recruit based on their clearly well-run alumni network and act like regular kids want to go to Lubbock when they have options. And it's just not true.

They're in a great spot for the little Big 12, they might grab some middle ranked recruits that want to be superstars in a nationally televised game against Cincinnati, but long term for the national recruits it's just not there. And I'll be cheering for Skyline chili against uncooked tortillas every time.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NevaLost said:

This is a great point underscored by the fact that Tech has one recruit ranked in the top 40 in Texas in the past three recruiting classes (#40). 

I had to double check this. They've never had a 5 star commit. Ever? 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Wow they got legacy Jack Anderson, said the world was changing, the world did not change, they got legacy Micah Hudson, said the world was changing...

They beat us in the lowest percentage upset of the year, and that's awesome, they played their odds right and won, shit I hate gambling and even I've been there.

But they win a recruit based on their clearly well-run alumni network and act like regular kids want to go to Lubbock when they have options. And it's just not true.

They're in a great spot for the little Big 12, they might grab some middle ranked recruits that want to be superstars in a nationally televised game against Cincinnati, but long term for the national recruits it's just not there. And I'll be cheering for Skyline chili against uncooked tortillas every time.

You forgot that the kid is also a legacy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On the IT live last night they talked about Collin Simmons again and mentioned that everything has been building there and they believe he's on  precipice of commitment. The question they asked is when he is going to pop and will it be before his late July visit or end of season LSU visit. Gerry mentioned that he was initially going to decide after the football season for Duncanville to potentially before the season. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Viva the Matador with another gem of a take.

what a joke...

• 2024: currently #22 in composite rankings, currently have 3 players in the Texas Top 50 (40, 43, 45) - they will go up with Hudson obviously, who will be the top rated recruit of all time in TTU's 247 history if he sticks. but they are out 9 of the remaining top 10 players in the State.
  • 23: 28, 1 player in Texas Top 50 (#44, Jordan Sanford)
  • 22: 43, 0 of the  Top 50 Texas prospects (top ranked Texas player was #61, Joseph Adedire)
  • 21: 74, 1 in Top 50 Texas prospects (#26, Behren Morton)
  • 20: 48, 1 in Top 50 Texas prospects (#43, Loic Fouonji who has 4 career starts)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Don't go aggie on us and start calling it the Little Big 12.....

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our WR board looks to be the following:

Committed - Freddie Dubose

Expected to Commit - Parker Livingstone

Remaining Board - Ryan Wingo, Aeryn Hampton(ATH?), Terry Bussey

I dont really understand where Hampton fits. Athlete suggests the staff wants to move him to defense, but Texas is in really good position in the secondary. Going to be interesting to see how that plays out. 

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Bobby keeps saying that the staff was highly impressed how Zina looked. Apparently, he has gotten himself in very good shape. 

I noticed that as well but took that to mean he was a silent and the IT guys are pumping up the excitement for when he goes public. Hope it is all true and he’s a stud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On the IT live last night they talked about Collin Simmons again and mentioned that everything has been building there and they believe he's on  precipice of commitment. The question they asked is when he is going to pop and will it be before his late July visit or end of season LSU visit. Gerry mentioned that he was initially going to decide after the football season for Duncanville to potentially before the season. 

After the season or potentially before the season. That's narrowing that shit down like a fuckin' boss!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Our WR board looks to be the following:

Committed - Freddie Dubose

Expected to Commit - Parker Livingstone

Remaining Board - Ryan Wingo, Aeryn Hampton(ATH?), Terry Bussey

And Camron Williams, the new offer from Arkansas 

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry compared him both on and off the field to Agiye Hall.

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get the impression that Gerry is not a fan of Texas recruiting him

So...the only two schools with firsthand knowledge of Hall's culture issues are the two finalists for a guy like him? Hampton must be one seriously talented player. 

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So...the only two schools with firsthand knowledge of Hall's culture issues are the two finalists for a guy like him? Hampton must be one seriously talented player. 

Texas and Alabama know how to give a talented kid with issues a chance to mature.

They also know how to get rid of a kid if the issues outweigh production on the field.

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls