Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

One side is being played.  No one really knows for sure.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he is a silent to both.  I’m guessing he goes LSU on the 10th. Only chance Texas has is to have a great season.  Just my opinion.  

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think it’s fairly obvious he’s a silent to both. Which is why silent commits are, and always have been, completely meaningless.

I figured he was going to LSU but their mod hedging makes me think that CS might not know where he’s going at this point.

It is called 

Texas Longhorns on Twitter: "Four pillars. One goal. #LEVERAGE🚀  https://t.co/isE8L10pIq" / Twitter

Personally I feel like all the LSU talk was just post visit hype with the commitment date coming after that but our side has maintained he will decide earlier than initially thought. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

In my defense most of that brain damage was caused by watching this football team that last 10+ years.  How is your little man’s complex coming along?

I attended the Rose Bowl win over USC and was in my ~third row endzone seat towards the side where Vince scored the winning TD. Watched it with my 2 suitemates from freshman year in college, one who I’d knosince 5th grade and one who I had known since kindergarten. 

When it comes to college football, everything since that game has been gravy.

No complex, no brain damage.

I see that you may have lost your teeth though. 

image.gif.19a22df70fefea586ce806f0c6faab3c.gif
Stork 2023

• Haha 1

(The 247 sites - and Roach - on Simmons, McKinley and Mack.)

The Stampede: Taking the temperature of Colin Simmons’ recruitment ahead of decision week
Horns247 Staff

Spoiler

The Stampede: Taking the temperature of Colin Simmons’ recruitment ahead of decision week
Horns247 Staff

In just over 72 hours five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons will announce his college decision between a group of finalists that includes Texas, LSU, and Miami. Ahead of Thursday at 2 p.m. CT, Horns247 reached to team site reporters Sonny Shipp (LSU) and Gaby Urrutia (Miami), as well as Texas regional analyst Mike Roach to gauge everyone's thoughts ahead of the big day. 

Here's a breakdown of what everyone said.

Horns247's thoughts

Texas is looking to add edge rushers in this 2024 class, and there’s no bigger target at the position — perhaps on the entire board — than five-star Duncanville standout Colin Simmons. The nation’s top-ranked edge, per the 247Sports Composite, Simmons is keeping everyone on their toes ahead of Thursday, with the 247Sports Crystal Ball almost evenly split between the Longhorns and Tigers.

If you’re a fan of a compelling commitment announcements, then Simmons is the recruit for you. That’s because sources on both Texas and LSU sides are optimistic ahead of Thursday. We saw the back-and-forth nature of another five-star this past weekend in KJ Bolden, who had buzz to Auburn, Florida State, and Georgia in the days leading up to his announcement, before picking the Seminoles on Saturday. Could there be swings like that with Simmons this week? Probably not. The scope of his recruitment is much more narrowed in the final hours.

One factor that’s remain unchanged is sources on the Texas side haven’t really budged when it comes to believing Simmons will end up in Burnt Orange. That’s even throughout the momentum LSU has seemingly built the last couple weeks after the in-state standout visited Baton Rouge. Several industry predictions were made in favor of the Bayou Bengals in the days following, leading many to believe Brian Kelly and Co. were the favorite.

But again, sources Horns247 has spoken with still believe Texas can and potentially will win this recruitment out. Horns247’s Jordan Scruggs remains on Texas with his 247Sports Crystal Ball, and the rest of the Horns247 recruiting staff would agree with that assessment at the moment. (Hank South) 

Sonny Shipp's thoughts (LSU/Geaux247)

The Colin Simmons Watch heads into the week with all eyes focused on that Thursday commitment announcement at 2 p.m. CT.

Heading down the stretch, LSU, Texas and Miami are all still working feverishly to try to tie all the hours, days and months into recruiting the five-star into one big bow.

By this point, Simmons has diagnosed every depth chart and seen everything each school has to offer. I don’t see a relationship with a coach or coaches suddenly getting stronger over this stretch run that tilts the scales one way or the other.

If everything else stays relatively close on NIL opportunities, I enter the week still feeling like the relationships Frank Wilson, Sherman Wilson, JR Belton, Jordan Arcement and Brian Kelly have fostered push LSU over the top.

LSU has maintained regular and consistent contact with Simmons and his camp since his last unofficial visit. Nothing has changed on that front.

There is no denying Simmons is a difference-maker on the field with his ability to rush the passer, and with that will come twists and turns that cause anxiety over these next few days. You knew this would be a roller coaster ride for the nation’s No. 4 overall prospect and that’s what I expect these next few days to be.

Gaby Urrita's thoughts (Miami/InsideTheU)

Miami quietly got into the Colin Simmons game with a fairly-hush visit during a Florida swing that was nationally believed to be to check out the Gators.

But Simmons and his mom made the five-hour trek down from Gainesville to Fort Lauderdale to attend Miami’s spring game. He went on to spend some time on campus that mid-April weekend. From that point on, the Hurricanes were a constant in that recruitment.

Simmons made it a priority to get down to Coral Gables for an official visit this summer and I do believe that NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor, who would be Simmons’ position coach, along with others on Miami’s staff made a strong impression.

I don’t know that Miami ever felt like true favorites, but there was significantly more confidence in the summer months than there is now. It was always going to be tough for Miami to beat that SEC factor and it seems like that could be one of potentially a few reasons why this recruitment isn’t trending towards the Hurricanes.

Including Miami in that top three, I believe, was an acknowledgment of how well the program positioned themselves and made up ground over the course of that recruitment, but I don’t see it being enough to cross the finish line as this thing reaches a close.

Mike Roach's thoughts (247Sports Texas regional analyst)

This should be an interesting week leading up to the decision of five-star Duncanville (Texas) EDGE Colin Simmons. Last week I wrote that despite a top 3 of Texas, LSU and Miami, nearly everyone I spoke with felt this would come down to the Longhorns and Tigers.

It’s really been back and forth, and there’s a lot of confidence on both sides of the aisle. When talking to sources on either side, I could really see a case to place my confidence in either program.

The truth is, I don’t have one point to really hang my hat on for either program. As I said last week, my gut feel has always been LSU and that’s where I’m slightly leaning to. While I’ve heard a ton of positives on the Texas side, there hasn’t been any one thing to push it over the top for me and sway where I’m leaning.

I was hoping something might come out over the weekend, but it’s been really quiet behind the scenes. Simmons has been playing the game on social media for sure, and sources from both sides indicated there is some caution that Simmons is playing both sides of the fence right now.

With several days left, this recruitment likely isn’t totally decided. There are a few things I think falls in the favor of Texas. The need for Simmons is greater than any other position or prospect in the Texas class and they are absolutely treating him that way. I also think the ties Simmons has to the program through several players on the roster could win out.

His path to playing time would be much more immediate at Texas, and if NIL becomes a major factor, I believe the Longhorns are better positioned. There is one thing I’ve heard that I’m trying to get more information on that could tilt the scales towards the Longhorns in my mind. I also believe there isn’t total alignment in Simmons’ camp about where they’d like to see him end up.

Colin has approached the recruitment in a bit of a different way than most, and he loves to keep people guessing. My hope is that as we get closer to decision day, enough new information will emerge to give me a better idea.

Moving along the defensive recruiting board, there's more intel Horns247 has to share on two additional targets:

Dominick McKinley

Staying on the defensive line, Steve Sarkisian and his staff also have their hands full with another five-star trenchmen in Acadiana (La.) five-star DL Dominick McKinley.

Like Simmons, McKinley has been as if not more of a tough read for coaches and reporters alike as the Louisiana native keeps everything as close to the vest as possible, resulting in various differing reports that often come out within days of each other due to the low number of sources around the five-star.

However one of the few things that’s certain around McKinley is that he will announce his commitment either before the season or the day of Acadiana’s season opener on September 1st, as Horns247’s Hank South was able to confirm that with McKinley’s mother earlier this week.

Over the last few weeks I’ve done my best to illustrate what the intel has been from sources in that the feeling in Austin and in Norman is that it’s down to the pair of Red River rivals. In reporting that, I’ve been more cautious than I have with other prospects due to how hard sourcing is to come by around the five-star, especially when you factor in I was told Texas and Oklahoma were tied as leaders ahead of LSU before McKinley took an unofficial trip to Baton Rouge at the end of July.

As one would expect, information was hard to come by coming out of the LSU visit, but after speaking with sources throughout the weekend the notion that the Red River rivals are in front of the Tigers has remained unchanged, with one source from the Oklahoma side of things actually telling me the Sooners confidence has slightly waned as the recruitment has started to come down the home stretch.

While there will certainly be twists and turns as we get closer to the commitment date as McKinley has yet to give a pledge to either staff involved in his recruitment, I think the Longhorns are positioned better than anyone else in the race at this moment.

My belief that the Longhorns are positioned better than the other contenders is based off of proximity, the McCombs business school, early playing time opportunities, the city of Austin, and just the way that Steve Sarkisian’s staff has been able to pitch what the benefits could be if McKinley were to choose to play for Texas.

With that being said however, I’d like to hear more similar sourcing tying McKinley to a potential Texas decision before joining Hank in entering a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns. (Jordan Scruggs) 

Wardell Mack

On the topic of potential upcoming commitments, four-star cornerback Wardell Mack has intended on making a college decision in late August or early September. Could it be sooner? The Marrero (La.) John Ehret product recently tweeted an hourglass emoji, leaving one to think something is on the horizon. Mack is down to Texas, Florida, Florida State, and LSU. However, taking to several sources over the last few weeks, it’s clear this recruitment has morphed into a Texas-Florida battle down the stretch. That’s not to discount LSU, because the Tigers will continue to recruit him until signing day, but for now the feeling is the Longhorns and Gators are ahead. Mack visited Gainesville at the end of July but didn’t end up making it over to Baton Rouge before the Dead Period kicked back in.

With that being said, I still like my Crystal Ball prediction for Mack to Texas that I placed in early July. The connection with Terry Joseph, a New Orleans native, is significant, and one that could play a huge role in pulling the Top247 corner away from the Bayou State.

There’s still recruiting to be done, but with Texas’ need at the position and the work it’s put in on Mack over the last few months, the Longhorns are still on solid ground in this recruitment. (Hank South)

• Hook 'Em 9

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think it’s fairly obvious he’s a silent to both. Which is why silent commits are, and always have been, completely meaningless.

I figured he was going to LSU but their mod hedging makes me think that CS might not know where he’s going at this point.

If he was a silent to LSU, Frank Wilson would know, and if he knew he would have told the on3 LSU guys resulting in more confidence from them and a higher percentage on their picks. I don't think he is a silent to LSU and it's obvious to me the LSU guys don't know shit and are only banking on his last visit being a weekend visit time to their team.  I think this could go either way but I still lean towards him picking us based on my read of things.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(The 247 sites - and Roach - on Simmons, McKinley and Mack.)

Horns247 Staff

Reveal hidden contents

Horns247 Staff

In just over 72 hours five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons will announce his college decision between a group of finalists that includes Texas, LSU, and Miami. Ahead of Thursday at 2 p.m. CT, Horns247 reached to team site reporters Sonny Shipp (LSU) and Gaby Urrutia (Miami), as well as Texas regional analyst Mike Roach to gauge everyone's thoughts ahead of the big day. 

Here's a breakdown of what everyone said.

Horns247's thoughts

Texas is looking to add edge rushers in this 2024 class, and there’s no bigger target at the position — perhaps on the entire board — than five-star Duncanville standout Colin Simmons. The nation’s top-ranked edge, per the 247Sports Composite, Simmons is keeping everyone on their toes ahead of Thursday, with the 247Sports Crystal Ball almost evenly split between the Longhorns and Tigers.

If you’re a fan of a compelling commitment announcements, then Simmons is the recruit for you. That’s because sources on both Texas and LSU sides are optimistic ahead of Thursday. We saw the back-and-forth nature of another five-star this past weekend in KJ Bolden, who had buzz to Auburn, Florida State, and Georgia in the days leading up to his announcement, before picking the Seminoles on Saturday. Could there be swings like that with Simmons this week? Probably not. The scope of his recruitment is much more narrowed in the final hours.

One factor that’s remain unchanged is sources on the Texas side haven’t really budged when it comes to believing Simmons will end up in Burnt Orange. That’s even throughout the momentum LSU has seemingly built the last couple weeks after the in-state standout visited Baton Rouge. Several industry predictions were made in favor of the Bayou Bengals in the days following, leading many to believe Brian Kelly and Co. were the favorite.

But again, sources Horns247 has spoken with still believe Texas can and potentially will win this recruitment out. Horns247’s Jordan Scruggs remains on Texas with his 247Sports Crystal Ball, and the rest of the Horns247 recruiting staff would agree with that assessment at the moment. (Hank South) 

Sonny Shipp's thoughts (LSU/Geaux247)

The Colin Simmons Watch heads into the week with all eyes focused on that Thursday commitment announcement at 2 p.m. CT.

Heading down the stretch, LSU, Texas and Miami are all still working feverishly to try to tie all the hours, days and months into recruiting the five-star into one big bow.

By this point, Simmons has diagnosed every depth chart and seen everything each school has to offer. I don’t see a relationship with a coach or coaches suddenly getting stronger over this stretch run that tilts the scales one way or the other.

If everything else stays relatively close on NIL opportunities, I enter the week still feeling like the relationships Frank Wilson, Sherman Wilson, JR Belton, Jordan Arcement and Brian Kelly have fostered push LSU over the top.

LSU has maintained regular and consistent contact with Simmons and his camp since his last unofficial visit. Nothing has changed on that front.

There is no denying Simmons is a difference-maker on the field with his ability to rush the passer, and with that will come twists and turns that cause anxiety over these next few days. You knew this would be a roller coaster ride for the nation’s No. 4 overall prospect and that’s what I expect these next few days to be.

Gaby Urrita's thoughts (Miami/InsideTheU)

Miami quietly got into the Colin Simmons game with a fairly-hush visit during a Florida swing that was nationally believed to be to check out the Gators.

But Simmons and his mom made the five-hour trek down from Gainesville to Fort Lauderdale to attend Miami’s spring game. He went on to spend some time on campus that mid-April weekend. From that point on, the Hurricanes were a constant in that recruitment.

Simmons made it a priority to get down to Coral Gables for an official visit this summer and I do believe that NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor, who would be Simmons’ position coach, along with others on Miami’s staff made a strong impression.

I don’t know that Miami ever felt like true favorites, but there was significantly more confidence in the summer months than there is now. It was always going to be tough for Miami to beat that SEC factor and it seems like that could be one of potentially a few reasons why this recruitment isn’t trending towards the Hurricanes.

Including Miami in that top three, I believe, was an acknowledgment of how well the program positioned themselves and made up ground over the course of that recruitment, but I don’t see it being enough to cross the finish line as this thing reaches a close.

Mike Roach's thoughts (247Sports Texas regional analyst)

This should be an interesting week leading up to the decision of five-star Duncanville (Texas) EDGE Colin Simmons. Last week I wrote that despite a top 3 of Texas, LSU and Miami, nearly everyone I spoke with felt this would come down to the Longhorns and Tigers.

It’s really been back and forth, and there’s a lot of confidence on both sides of the aisle. When talking to sources on either side, I could really see a case to place my confidence in either program.

The truth is, I don’t have one point to really hang my hat on for either program. As I said last week, my gut feel has always been LSU and that’s where I’m slightly leaning to. While I’ve heard a ton of positives on the Texas side, there hasn’t been any one thing to push it over the top for me and sway where I’m leaning.

I was hoping something might come out over the weekend, but it’s been really quiet behind the scenes. Simmons has been playing the game on social media for sure, and sources from both sides indicated there is some caution that Simmons is playing both sides of the fence right now.

With several days left, this recruitment likely isn’t totally decided. There are a few things I think falls in the favor of Texas. The need for Simmons is greater than any other position or prospect in the Texas class and they are absolutely treating him that way. I also think the ties Simmons has to the program through several players on the roster could win out.

His path to playing time would be much more immediate at Texas, and if NIL becomes a major factor, I believe the Longhorns are better positioned. There is one thing I’ve heard that I’m trying to get more information on that could tilt the scales towards the Longhorns in my mind. I also believe there isn’t total alignment in Simmons’ camp about where they’d like to see him end up.

Colin has approached the recruitment in a bit of a different way than most, and he loves to keep people guessing. My hope is that as we get closer to decision day, enough new information will emerge to give me a better idea.

Moving along the defensive recruiting board, there's more intel Horns247 has to share on two additional targets:

Dominick McKinley

Staying on the defensive line, Steve Sarkisian and his staff also have their hands full with another five-star trenchmen in Acadiana (La.) five-star DL Dominick McKinley.

Like Simmons, McKinley has been as if not more of a tough read for coaches and reporters alike as the Louisiana native keeps everything as close to the vest as possible, resulting in various differing reports that often come out within days of each other due to the low number of sources around the five-star.

However one of the few things that’s certain around McKinley is that he will announce his commitment either before the season or the day of Acadiana’s season opener on September 1st, as Horns247’s Hank South was able to confirm that with McKinley’s mother earlier this week.

Over the last few weeks I’ve done my best to illustrate what the intel has been from sources in that the feeling in Austin and in Norman is that it’s down to the pair of Red River rivals. In reporting that, I’ve been more cautious than I have with other prospects due to how hard sourcing is to come by around the five-star, especially when you factor in I was told Texas and Oklahoma were tied as leaders ahead of LSU before McKinley took an unofficial trip to Baton Rouge at the end of July.

As one would expect, information was hard to come by coming out of the LSU visit, but after speaking with sources throughout the weekend the notion that the Red River rivals are in front of the Tigers has remained unchanged, with one source from the Oklahoma side of things actually telling me the Sooners confidence has slightly waned as the recruitment has started to come down the home stretch.

While there will certainly be twists and turns as we get closer to the commitment date as McKinley has yet to give a pledge to either staff involved in his recruitment, I think the Longhorns are positioned better than anyone else in the race at this moment.

My belief that the Longhorns are positioned better than the other contenders is based off of proximity, the McCombs business school, early playing time opportunities, the city of Austin, and just the way that Steve Sarkisian’s staff has been able to pitch what the benefits could be if McKinley were to choose to play for Texas.

With that being said however, I’d like to hear more similar sourcing tying McKinley to a potential Texas decision before joining Hank in entering a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns. (Jordan Scruggs) 

Wardell Mack

On the topic of potential upcoming commitments, four-star cornerback Wardell Mack has intended on making a college decision in late August or early September. Could it be sooner? The Marrero (La.) John Ehret product recently tweeted an hourglass emoji, leaving one to think something is on the horizon. Mack is down to Texas, Florida, Florida State, and LSU. However, taking to several sources over the last few weeks, it’s clear this recruitment has morphed into a Texas-Florida battle down the stretch. That’s not to discount LSU, because the Tigers will continue to recruit him until signing day, but for now the feeling is the Longhorns and Gators are ahead. Mack visited Gainesville at the end of July but didn’t end up making it over to Baton Rouge before the Dead Period kicked back in.

With that being said, I still like my Crystal Ball prediction for Mack to Texas that I placed in early July. The connection with Terry Joseph, a New Orleans native, is significant, and one that could play a huge role in pulling the Top247 corner away from the Bayou State.

There’s still recruiting to be done, but with Texas’ need at the position and the work it’s put in on Mack over the last few months, the Longhorns are still on solid ground in this recruitment. (Hank South)

Nothing really new on Simmons. The insiders are sticking to their guns, both staffs are cautiously optimistic. 

The McKinley and Mack updates are nice - not a ringing endorsement, but that's about as much confidence as I've come to expect from Roach.  

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I get the feeling (probably just wishful thinking) that Simmons has silently committed to both schools and will announce to Texas and end his statement with something along the lines of “when you lie to me, I don’t feel bad about lying to you. #BKEffect” At least that’s what I’m telling myself until the announcement.

Gerry is convinced that he has told both staffs he is coming. The only question is going to be when will he tell the losing staff, he isnt coming. Might see a lot more of this in the future for 5 stars. Nice way to bump your followers. 

17 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I get the feeling (probably just wishful thinking) that Simmons has silently committed to both schools and will announce to Texas and end his statement with something along the lines of “when you lie to me, I don’t feel bad about lying to you. #BKEffect” At least that’s what I’m telling myself until the announcement.

X Files GIF by The X-Files

Gerry Hamilton, in a video, on Mack/Simmons/McKinley/Black/Hudson.  In previous videos, Gerry has been clear about his picks at that point in time.  This seems like caveat central.

WARDELL MACK

- Whoever wins, will have to deal with Frank Wilson

- More confidence on Texas side than Fla, but LSU will not just let him go to Texas or Fla (Frank Wilson does not just walk away)

COLIN SIMMONS

- Coming out of Texas visit, most positive chatter about Simmons (out of all recruits)

- Gerry thinks Colin knows where he is going

- If Gerry had to make an RPM decision today, he's not sure he would put one in (yay!)

- About LSU On3 RPM picks, both programs have confidence ... 

DOMINICK MCKINLEY

- Texas/OU top 2, A&M was third

- Austin a little closer, Mom in education for 24 years 

KOBE BLACK

- Texas in good spot

- Will he decide before season, or go into season

MICAH HUDSON

- Any traction with Texas?

- Texas doesn't back off targets.  Recruiting through the whistle.  Maintained contact, longer it plays out, gives Texas and everyone else chip away.  Tech current favorite.

• Hook 'Em 4

Fong on Simmons and a few other Texas targets

Duncanville Teammates Committing This Week

Someone is going to be heart-broken when it comes to five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons, who will announce his decision on Thursday, Aug. 10.

LSU or Texas.

Since Simmons took his official visit to Texas the weekend of June 23, there has been a lot of buzz that the elite pass rusher would play his college football in Austin. The thing is, following trips to Baton Rouge for the LSU spring game and then again for the BK Bayou Splash the last weekend in July, there has been equal sentiment around the Tigers program.

So that’s where it stands with Simmons, LSU who was considered an early favorite, and Texas who has always been in it as well but this summer we’ve had sources say he’ll end up there.

My 247Sports Crystal Ball is over a year old in favor of LSU for Simmons. We'll see if that changes this week (I will change this one if I feel like I should do so after not doing it for Bolden despite saying the night before the intel favored FSU and an unneeded reminder Crystal Ball picks don't guarantee commitments). Regardless of what happens with Simmons, the intel heavily favors LSU for prized running back target Caden Durham who will share the floor with his teammate and announce Thursday as well. I loved LSU’s position for Durham following his visit for the Tigers spring game, and while Oklahoma maybe changed that pulse at times over the summer, the return for the BK Bayou Splash really elevated the Tigers position going into his announcement.

Texas sources feel good about where they stand with a few other five-stars in receiver Ryan Wingo (look for him to be back for the Wyoming game as they battle Mizzou among many others) defensive lineman Dominick McKinley (Oklahoma and LSU also in there), cornerback Kobe Black (Texas A&M and the Buckeyes also a couple others in there) and offensive tackle Brandon Baker (Oregon, Nebraska and Ohio State a few others swinging hard) as Steve Sarkisian and his staff pursue a third-straight top five class.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

MICAH HUDSON

- Any traction with Texas?

- Texas doesn't back off targets.  Recruiting through the whistle.  Maintained contact, longer it plays out, gives Texas and everyone else chip away.  Tech current favorite.

the fact that he STILL hasn't committed to TTU or that they can't close is funny to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The only way I see Simmons choosing Texas at this point is if the guy has been particularly cagey to generate excitement. Although for the life of me I can't imagine how Simmons can look at not having a real position coach at LSU that he has a relationship with, versus Bo Davis and his track record, and make that decision. I feel like Nahlin's pettiness is saying it all, however. He's been basically screaming "MY SOURCES ARE STILL IMPECCABLE" all week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Frank Wilson is the running back coach?   Interesting that he is leading the recruitment for all these defensive players.  Never played or coached defense.  RB coach is one of the positions where you can stick the bagman yeh?

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The only way I see Simmons choosing Texas at this point is if the guy has been particularly cagey to generate excitement. Although for the life of me I can't imagine how Simmons can look at not having a real position coach at LSU that he has a relationship with, versus Bo Davis PK and his track record, and make that decision. I feel like Nahlin's pettiness is saying it all, however. He's been basically screaming "MY SOURCES ARE STILL IMPECCABLE" all week. 

PK's track record is pretty solid and it's better than John Jancek, who will be coaching him at LSU now. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, walker said:

Frank Wilson is the running back coach?   Interesting that he is leading the recruitment for all these defensive players.  Never played or coached defense.  RB coach is one of the positions where you can stick the bagman yeh?

Wilson is involved in almost all of LSU's high profile recruits. Guy is a stud recruiter. 

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The only way I see Simmons choosing Texas at this point is if the guy has been particularly cagey to generate excitement. Although for the life of me I can't imagine how Simmons can look at not having a real position coach at LSU that he has a relationship with, versus Bo Davis and his track record, and make that decision. I feel like Nahlin's pettiness is saying it all, however. He's been basically screaming "MY SOURCES ARE STILL IMPECCABLE" all week. 

Based on this and A&M a few years ago, I think the solution is to do away with defensive staff and hire an emerging comedian to recruit.

14 minutes ago, walker said:

he's been a recruiting rainmaker for 15+ years, hell maybe 20.

12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

LSU working every angle they can:

LSU: Olivia, can you please take pics with a football recruit?
Olivia: Another one?
LSU: We really need this guy. And we can't really sell him on his position coach. Or our academics. Or much of anything else.
Olivia: Well, I'm pretty busy.
LSU: How does $10,000 sound?

image.thumb.jpeg.3aeef21ca1fd299707cfa0ae858d364f.jpeg

Isn’t that the hand sign for “Loser”?

41 minutes ago, walker said:

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Wilson is involved in almost all of LSU's high profile recruits. Guy is a stud recruiter. 

Frank Wilson is just a charismatic bagman who knows how to recruit. His job in these recruitments is to make sure there are enough casino chips for the parents and handlers to launder through the local shops when folks stop by in Baton Rouge. His whole purpose is to ensure that the money is where it is supposed to be, when it is supposed to be there. The guy is a bum of a coach and always has been. Hell, the LSU backfield this year is trash. It was trash last year. If Daniels is able to stay healthy, he'll have to be their leading rusher ... again. 

The LSU offer is about timing, not scope. I'm interested in seeing how that works for the agent on this one.

• Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The fact that it's neck-and-neck for Simmons and LSU still has the OV in their back pocket makes me kinda pessimistic. No matter what happens Thursday, they're still gonna push hard to get him back on campus for that.

People will say that this recruitment isn't over until the ink is dry. I doubt it. The guy is recruiting savvy. He's played it out to mystery and fanfare. He's gotten a ton of attention, but he's not acting like an attention whore doing it. Then he's going to become a recruiting cliche in a few months and flip to someone else? I think he'd have to commit to a school and then that school would have to totally fall apart in the season for that to be a possibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For reference:

If you add Black and Mack to the class calculator it bumps us up to #15

If you add McKinley, Black and Mack it bumps us up to #8

If you add McKinley, Black, Mack and Wingo it bumps us up to #5

If you add McKinley, Black, Mack, Wingo and Simmons it bumps us up to #3.

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On the one hand, the player has like LSU for forever. He likes their scheme better. He loves Baton Rouge. 

On the other hand, he's got a better offer, in the near and long term. He knows who his fucking coach will be. He likes Austin. He's been recruiting other players to Texas for a while.

I've stayed on the notion that he's headed to LSU from the beginning. I see no reason to change that now. 

On other matters, just thinking about Terrell Mack - Florida is heading for a second straight losing season. Napier will get a third year, but that's a risk beyond the third season. LSU hasn't prioritized him and Wilson just dropping a bag at the last minute isn't going to have the same impact as it did in the 2000's. 

McKinley is leaving Louisiana as of today. Academics are a legitimate factor for the mother. Is that important enough for her to steer the player? Or is their relationship just that she's going to voice her thoughts, but it is her son's decision? The guy likes Davis and Bates both, so the tipping point will be something else.

Black isn't going into the season uncommitted. Does Simmons going to Baton Rouge steer him as well? I think likely not. I think this one goes our way.

Wingo will not be committing any time soon. 

Lindsey has been given plenty of reasons to go to Auburn. Freeze is selling, literally telling guys, that they're going to have a bad season because they don't have their kind of talent and promising a lot of early playing time. He did this at Ole Miss as well, along with the same bonkers bag game. So why hasn't Lindsey wrapped this up? Why does Texas still think it has a shot?

Oregon to the Big 10 is a momentum swing for Baker, just not clear to what level.

I think this class is a disappointment without Simmons, simply because he's an immediate difference maker at a key position. That said, land 4 of the other 7 guys, which I think they will, plus a few other evaluation fills or surprises, and it's still going to be a damned good class. 

Hudson talk pops up every now and then. Seems like for zero reasons other than $9.95ers ginning things up during lulls.

Will Texas take the Simmons NIL package and shop it around?

Elijah Rushing might make sense. He's currently committed to Arizona. 5 star EDGE, holds a Texas offer. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elijah Rushing might make sense. He's currently committed to Arizona. 5 star EDGE, holds a Texas offer. 

I don't know. The focus has been on Simmons and he's given every indication to some folks that the focus was worth it.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have no insight on that, other than Simmons is more valuable to Texas. Simmons is #1 Edge in the nation and at the biggest D1 producing HS in the state.  He has value beyond just the field

Edited by Codaxx

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls