Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Daelyn Evans would be the cherry on top for this class.  Not only would it cause an epic aggy meltdown, but he'd give us 4 DT's for the class, and would be one of our highest rated commits.  I think he's going to be a stud and I hope the staff is pushing for him.  Flipping Evans and Smith would be taking the two best defensive recruits from the aggy class.

• Hook 'Em 9

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Daelyn Evans would be the cherry on top for this class.  Not only would it cause an epic aggy meltdown, but he'd give us 4 DT's for the class, and would be one of our highest rated commits.  I think he's going to be a stud and I hope the staff is pushing for him.  Flipping Evans and Smith would be taking the two best defensive recruits from the aggy class.

I wonder if the staff wanted Foster to delay for this reason.

(Lots of stuff - reiterated Texas for Tyanthony Smith, possibly LSU/Texas for McKinley, Aggie for Dealyn/Solomon; notes on several others.)

Potential flips, or they stick and upcoming commits: Recruiting buzz 24 hours out from National Signing Day
The latest on the on the nation's top prospects as we are a day away from the three-day Early Signing Period kicking off.
Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

Potential flips, or they stick and upcoming commits: Recruiting buzz 24 hours out from National Signing Day
The latest on the on the nation's top prospects as we are a day away from the three-day Early Signing Period kicking off.
Steve Wiltfong

Everything I think I know roughly 24 hours before the three-day Early Signing Period hits on Dec. 20.

Starting with the five-stars

• I still believe 247Sports’ No. 1 recruit in five-star receiver Jeremiah Smith will put pen to paper with Ohio State. Meanwhile, Florida State, Miami and Florida are working to change that.
  • I still believe 247Sports’ No. 4 recruit quarterback DJ Lagway will sign with Florida. Same goes for 247Sports No. 6 prospect LJ McCray. Lagway’s other suitors include Houston, Texas A&M, Clemson and maybe USC. McCray’s are Auburn and Florida State.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if Auburn surpassed Florida State for 247Sports’ No. 1 safety KJ Bolden (No. 15 prospect). Not a prediction yet but think the Tigers are giving the Seminoles a major run. There are a couple sources that think The Plains wins out.
  • I think it’s possible that five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley (No. 31 prospect) signs on Wednesday. I don’t think it will be with Texas A&M. I’m keeping an eye on Texas, and LSU currently has an official scheduled for mid-January.
  • A source around Buford (Ga.) High tells 247Sports that long-time Ohio State commit Eddrick Houston (No. 33 prospect) has not made a final decision. While communication has remained strong with the Buckeyes staff, Alabama is indeed making it interesting down the stretch. I said early in the day I liked OSU’s chances to hold, not saying they won’t but don’t feel as strong about it.
  • The recruitment of Clinton (NC) High Top247 defensive lineman Amaris Williams (No. 34 prospect) is “hour to hour” according to a source regarding who leads, whether that’s Florida where he’s committed or Auburn who’s charging hard.
  • I like Michigan for 247Sports No. 36 prospect in Gatlin Bair who is not expected to sign early. Oregon is the competition.
  • Still forecasting Miami (Fla.) Central Top247 defensive lineman Armondo Blount (No. 41) to flip from Florida State to the Hurricanes.
  • Longview (Texas) Pine Tree Top247 defensive lineman Dealyn Evans (No. 44) is a long-time verbal to Texas A&M and he could sign Wednesday.

Prospects ranked No. 51 through No. 100

• Sticking with my prediction of Missouri for Pine Bluff (Ark.) High Top247 receiver Courtney Crutchfield (No. 51 prospect). Arkansas is the other school.
  • Expecting Houston (Miss.) High Top247 defensive lineman William Echoles (No. 61 prospect) to honor his verbal to Ole Miss.
  • Wrote the last two days I thought Oregon was closing in on a flip of St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers Top247 receiver Jeremiah McClellan (No. 72 prospect). That intel is starting to change and I feel like the Buckeyes are on track to hold on. 247Sports National Analyst Allen Trieu is hearing a lot of the same.
  • I think Oregon hangs on to Top247 offensive tackle JacQawn McRoy (No. 80) but Colorado got a late visit and you never sleep on Deion Sanders late in the cycle.
  • I have Esko (Minn.) Lincoln Secondary Top247 safety Koi Perich (No. 84) sticking with Minnesota over flipping to Ohio State.

Prospects ranked No. 101 through No. 150

• Oregon is the heavy favorite to land Fairfield (Calif.) Armijo Top247 defensive lineman Jericho Johnson (No. 108).
  • I believe Missouri City (Texas) Ridge Point Top247 receiver Ashton Bethel-Roman (No. 114) will stick with Arkansas after flirting late with other programs.
  • Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast on Monday night in favor of Alabama to flip Northport (Ala.) Tuscaloosa County Top247 running back Kevin Riley (No. 116) from Miami.
  • My 247Sports Crystal Ball is on South Carolina for Meridian (Miss.) High Top247 running back Daniel Hill (No. 128), but I’m not sleeping on the late charge from Mississippi State for legacy recruit. Hill won’t announce till Jan. 6 and also has Alabama and Tennessee included in his finalists.
  • Riding with Arizona for Calabasas (Calif.) High Top247 athlete Aaron Butler (No. 130) if the Wildcats are pushing down the stretch. 247Sports National Analyst Greg Biggins says Washington is in the mix and could be a factor.
  • Wisconsin is the favorite for Towson (Md.) Concordia Prep Top247 defensive lineman Ernest Willor Jr. (No. 132). Madison was the only place he visited in December.

Prospects ranked No. 151 through 200

• Put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Texas A&M for Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day Top247 defensive lineman Solomon Williams (No. 153) following his visit to College Station over the weekend, but Alabama cannot be ruled out. In fact they were the leader before the return to the Aggies campus.
  • Katy (Texas) High Top247 offensive lineman Coen Echols (No. 154) won’t commit until Friday, the last day of the Early Signing Period. Auburn is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite, but LSU is making it interesting late. Aggies are the third team in the picture.
  • I think it’s picking up strong for Miami for Largo (Fla.) High Top247 linebacker Adarius Hayes (No. 180) but he’s saying the right things to Florida where he’s a long-time commitment.
  • We’ll see if North Palm Beach (Fla.) The Benjamin School Top247 athlete Amaree Williams (No. 189) signs after reclassifying to 2024 on Friday ahead of his Florida State visit.

Prospects ranked No. 201 through 247

• Bountiful (Utah) High Top247 safety Faletau Satuala (No. 211) won’t announce until Jan. 6 at the All-American Bowl. Utah is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite but BYU is making it very interesting.
  • Michigan State is the prediction for Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis offensive tackle Rustin Young (No. 218).
  • Missouri is the 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast regarding Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek Top247 cornerback Trajen Greco. He has a Jan. 6 commitment date as well.

New Crystal Ball Forecasts

• Logged one in favor of Syracuse for cornerback Marcellus Barnes Jr. who won’t announce until Jan. 6 at the All-American Bowl. Speaking of the Orange program, still like them for four-star edge rusher KingJoseph Edwards as well.
  • Teamed up with 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman to predict Tennessee for San Mateo (Calif.) Junipero Serra tight end Cole Harrison following his weekend official to Knoxville. Washington State is also in that one.
  • Rolling with Florida for Riverview (Fla.) Sumner High safety Gregory Smith III.
  • Two new Nebraska predictions include flipping Larry Tarver Jr. from Maryland and securing a pledge from linebacker Vincent Shavers. Also have an older pick in favor of the Huskers for defensive back Amare Sanders.
  • Have Starkville (Miss.) High four-star receiver Braylon Burnside landing with Mississippi State.

Quick Hitters

• Four-star quarterback Tyler Cherry could see his process extend past Wednesday as he deliberates between Indiana and Michigan State. Other Spartans Crystal Ball forecasts going into the Early Signing Period include offensive tackle Payton Stewart, cornerback Camren Campbell, offensive lineman Raheem Johnson and edge Kekai Burnett. Still feel good about linebacker Brady Pretzlaff to MSU too.
  • Speaking of quarterbacks, UCLA looks like the one to beat for quarterback Henry Hasselbeck.
  • Have Texas predicted for linebacker Tyanthony Smith.
  • Prediction is on Tennessee for cornerback Jaren Sensabaugh, but that could go Missouri’s way following his weekend official to Columbia.
  • Tennessee is pushing to flip tight end Willie Rodriguez from Kentucky. A source thinks he sticks with the Wildcats but the Vols are making him think.
  • It will be Florida or Alabama for coveted running back Jadan Baugh, who decommitted from Arkansas on Monday. The Gators have been in a great spot for awhile but a late push and visit to Tuscaloosa this past weekend as the Crimson Tide gaining the momentum. Dialogue is heavy with both parties.
  • Sticking with my 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Florida State for Concord (NC) Jay M. Robinson defensive lineman D’Nas White.
  • Florida is charging late for offensive lineman Favour Edwin with Alabama and Auburn rounding out the top three.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Am I happy we may flip a 5 star recruit from aggy? Yes

Do I expect him to develop into the next Suh? no

From everything I've seen following this recruit I have no expectations and expect him to portal out if he does sign here. Sick for the recruiting image implications though.

Could use one more interior DL. Might as well be a 5 star flip from aggy at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Lots of stuff - reiterated Texas for Tyanthony Smith, possibly LSU/Texas for McKinley, Aggie for Dealyn/Solomon; notes on several others.)

Steve Wiltfong

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

Everything I think I know roughly 24 hours before the three-day Early Signing Period hits on Dec. 20.

• I still believe 247Sports’ No. 1 recruit in five-star receiver Jeremiah Smith will put pen to paper with Ohio State. Meanwhile, Florida State, Miami and Florida are working to change that.
  • I still believe 247Sports’ No. 4 recruit quarterback DJ Lagway will sign with Florida. Same goes for 247Sports No. 6 prospect LJ McCray. Lagway’s other suitors include Houston, Texas A&M, Clemson and maybe USC. McCray’s are Auburn and Florida State.
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if Auburn surpassed Florida State for 247Sports’ No. 1 safety KJ Bolden (No. 15 prospect). Not a prediction yet but think the Tigers are giving the Seminoles a major run. There are a couple sources that think The Plains wins out.
  • I think it’s possible that five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley (No. 31 prospect) signs on Wednesday. I don’t think it will be with Texas A&M. I’m keeping an eye on Texas, and LSU currently has an official scheduled for mid-January.
  • A source around Buford (Ga.) High tells 247Sports that long-time Ohio State commit Eddrick Houston (No. 33 prospect) has not made a final decision. While communication has remained strong with the Buckeyes staff, Alabama is indeed making it interesting down the stretch. I said early in the day I liked OSU’s chances to hold, not saying they won’t but don’t feel as strong about it.
  • The recruitment of Clinton (NC) High Top247 defensive lineman Amaris Williams (No. 34 prospect) is “hour to hour” according to a source regarding who leads, whether that’s Florida where he’s committed or Auburn who’s charging hard.
  • I like Michigan for 247Sports No. 36 prospect in Gatlin Bair who is not expected to sign early. Oregon is the competition.
  • Still forecasting Miami (Fla.) Central Top247 defensive lineman Armondo Blount (No. 41) to flip from Florida State to the Hurricanes.
  • Longview (Texas) Pine Tree Top247 defensive lineman Dealyn Evans (No. 44) is a long-time verbal to Texas A&M and he could sign Wednesday.

• Sticking with my prediction of Missouri for Pine Bluff (Ark.) High Top247 receiver Courtney Crutchfield (No. 51 prospect). Arkansas is the other school.
  • Expecting Houston (Miss.) High Top247 defensive lineman William Echoles (No. 61 prospect) to honor his verbal to Ole Miss.
  • Wrote the last two days I thought Oregon was closing in on a flip of St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers Top247 receiver Jeremiah McClellan (No. 72 prospect). That intel is starting to change and I feel like the Buckeyes are on track to hold on. 247Sports National Analyst Allen Trieu is hearing a lot of the same.
  • I think Oregon hangs on to Top247 offensive tackle JacQawn McRoy (No. 80) but Colorado got a late visit and you never sleep on Deion Sanders late in the cycle.
  • I have Esko (Minn.) Lincoln Secondary Top247 safety Koi Perich (No. 84) sticking with Minnesota over flipping to Ohio State.

• Oregon is the heavy favorite to land Fairfield (Calif.) Armijo Top247 defensive lineman Jericho Johnson (No. 108).
  • I believe Missouri City (Texas) Ridge Point Top247 receiver Ashton Bethel-Roman (No. 114) will stick with Arkansas after flirting late with other programs.
  • Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast on Monday night in favor of Alabama to flip Northport (Ala.) Tuscaloosa County Top247 running back Kevin Riley (No. 116) from Miami.
  • My 247Sports Crystal Ball is on South Carolina for Meridian (Miss.) High Top247 running back Daniel Hill (No. 128), but I’m not sleeping on the late charge from Mississippi State for legacy recruit. Hill won’t announce till Jan. 6 and also has Alabama and Tennessee included in his finalists.
  • Riding with Arizona for Calabasas (Calif.) High Top247 athlete Aaron Butler (No. 130) if the Wildcats are pushing down the stretch. 247Sports National Analyst Greg Biggins says Washington is in the mix and could be a factor.
  • Wisconsin is the favorite for Towson (Md.) Concordia Prep Top247 defensive lineman Ernest Willor Jr. (No. 132). Madison was the only place he visited in December.

• Put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Texas A&M for Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day Top247 defensive lineman Solomon Williams (No. 153) following his visit to College Station over the weekend, but Alabama cannot be ruled out. In fact they were the leader before the return to the Aggies campus.
  • Katy (Texas) High Top247 offensive lineman Coen Echols (No. 154) won’t commit until Friday, the last day of the Early Signing Period. Auburn is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite, but LSU is making it interesting late. Aggies are the third team in the picture.
  • I think it’s picking up strong for Miami for Largo (Fla.) High Top247 linebacker Adarius Hayes (No. 180) but he’s saying the right things to Florida where he’s a long-time commitment.
  • We’ll see if North Palm Beach (Fla.) The Benjamin School Top247 athlete Amaree Williams (No. 189) signs after reclassifying to 2024 on Friday ahead of his Florida State visit.

• Bountiful (Utah) High Top247 safety Faletau Satuala (No. 211) won’t announce until Jan. 6 at the All-American Bowl. Utah is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite but BYU is making it very interesting.
  • Michigan State is the prediction for Honolulu (Hawaii) St. Louis offensive tackle Rustin Young (No. 218).
  • Missouri is the 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast regarding Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek Top247 cornerback Trajen Greco. He has a Jan. 6 commitment date as well.

• Logged one in favor of Syracuse for cornerback Marcellus Barnes Jr. who won’t announce until Jan. 6 at the All-American Bowl. Speaking of the Orange program, still like them for four-star edge rusher KingJoseph Edwards as well.
  • Teamed up with 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman to predict Tennessee for San Mateo (Calif.) Junipero Serra tight end Cole Harrison following his weekend official to Knoxville. Washington State is also in that one.
  • Rolling with Florida for Riverview (Fla.) Sumner High safety Gregory Smith III.
  • Two new Nebraska predictions include flipping Larry Tarver Jr. from Maryland and securing a pledge from linebacker Vincent Shavers. Also have an older pick in favor of the Huskers for defensive back Amare Sanders.
  • Have Starkville (Miss.) High four-star receiver Braylon Burnside landing with Mississippi State.

Quick Hitters

• Four-star quarterback Tyler Cherry could see his process extend past Wednesday as he deliberates between Indiana and Michigan State. Other Spartans Crystal Ball forecasts going into the Early Signing Period include offensive tackle Payton Stewart, cornerback Camren Campbell, offensive lineman Raheem Johnson and edge Kekai Burnett. Still feel good about linebacker Brady Pretzlaff to MSU too.
  • Speaking of quarterbacks, UCLA looks like the one to beat for quarterback Henry Hasselbeck.
  • Prediction is on Tennessee for cornerback Jaren Sensabaugh, but that could go Missouri’s way following his weekend official to Columbia.
  • Tennessee is pushing to flip tight end Willie Rodriguez from Kentucky. A source thinks he sticks with the Wildcats but the Vols are making him think.
  • It will be Florida or Alabama for coveted running back Jadan Baugh, who decommitted from Arkansas on Monday. The Gators have been in a great spot for awhile but a late push and visit to Tuscaloosa this past weekend as the Crimson Tide gaining the momentum. Dialogue is heavy with both parties.
  • Sticking with my 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Florida State for Concord (NC) Jay M. Robinson defensive lineman D’Nas White.
  • Florida is charging late for offensive lineman Favour Edwin with Alabama and Auburn rounding out the top three.

I don't interpret his take on Evans that way.  All he says is

1.  Evans has been a long time aggy commit.  (This says nothing about where he will end up.)

2.  He might sign with aggy Wednesday.  (Then again, he might not.)

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

Hide contents

Steve Wiltfong

Quick Hitters

Gatlin Bair! Forgot about him - fast as shit Mormon kid from Idaho we offered.

Finally decommitted from Boise State on 12/1

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

Just FYI - a minute of Anthony Hill, unfiltered.  Lulz.

(Twitter was borked when I posted this, so reposting as a psa ... .)

I love how this dude, who was in high school this time last year, stops runners in their tracks without giving up a single extra yard. He could be at a standstill and the ball carrier with a full head of steam gets wrapped up and put down without Hill giving up an inch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

18 hours ago, Vertigo said:

At this point, it don't make a shit. We got pretty much everything we needed to get in this cycle. If we can get Smith and/or Evans it would just be the chef's kiss on top of a great class. 

Agreed. We have vulnerabilities this season that have been out of whack with other positions. Edge rush and safeties. I was thinking like the old days where it might take a few years to bring them up to standard. Sarkisian masterfully builds the roster from the portal and recruits; now the weaknesses are addressed.

It'd be nice to be in the top 3 ranking, I guess. I'm quite content with what I see in terms of who we got, where we needed them, and talent average. 

This is fun. Oh yea, and the first round of the playoff in just under two weeks.

I'm the optimistic type. I never saw any of this coming so fast.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m also starting to have a problem picking out my favorite recruit of the class. I remember the days where the choice was between two or three. There are plentyyy of options with this class. Gotta be between Simmons and Wingo but hard to not like gibson, XF, Mack-had to help with XF, Baker, and on. If you count transfers, I think I saw 4-5 one handed catches in Goldens highlights, we could use that fighting for the ball and AM should have always been here…a lot to love/pick between.

I don't envy you. Somebody's feelings will be hurt.

• Haha 5

I’m just happy we got Simmons. I watched a little of last years state game and was wondering who that was. Learned he was a 2024 not 23 and that he was leaning LSU.
We haven’t got guys like that in awhile. Haven’t watched any highlights or games this year so hopefully he is still the dominant player I saw lol.

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I’m just happy we got Simmons. I watched a little of last years state game and was wondering who that was. Learned he was a 2024 not 23 and that he was leaning LSU.
We haven’t got guys like that in awhile. Haven’t watched any highlights or games this year so hopefully he is still the dominant player I saw lol.

He was the Defensive MVP of the state championship game again this year.  So, I think it's safe to say that he is still good.  

Sorry, I don't have highlights for you.  Here is an article:

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/17/texas-longhorns-football-recruiting-colin-simmons-state-championship-win-stats-recap/

Colin Simmons, a five-star recruit committed to Texas, led Duncanville to their second consecutive State Championship win against North Shore with a final score of 49-33.

Simmons finished the game with eight tackles, three sacks, three tackles for loss, and one forced fumble. He was a wrecking ball, and the North Shore offensive line couldn’t stop him from getting to the backfield.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Within the last hour or so, Suchomel saying Hampton may still end up flipping to Bama.

I don't think any of us consider Hampton to be a firm commit. I also don't think any of us really care where he ends up.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Eric Nahlin: Re-ranking the most underrated players in Texas' 2024 class

As the Texas coaching staff looks to put the final touches on the 2024 recruiting cycle, we’ll take a look at some of the most underrated players in the signing class. Every cycle has its share of underrated players. Look no further than success of former three-stars T’Vondre Sweat and Jaylan Ford this year. There are many reasons prospects can be underrated, often there are even good reasons for it. But with this group, it’s really hard for me to understand their assigned ratings.

Alex January, DT, Duncanville (Texas)

On3 Industry Ranking: 88.68

I’ve never understood this ranking. January was on the scene early showing good traits as a true freshman at a national powerhouse. As he grew, he continued to move well. He may not be “twitchy” but few people his size are. The fact is he’s big, can move his feet, and bends and moves well. Scarcity makes him even more valuable. Somehow On3 is the only outlet that has him as a Top 300 prospect.

I value this comment from Inside Texas subscriber tcl0035:

Re: Alex January

My father and I went to 6 or so Duncanville games this year. He doesn’t really follow recruiting much so he’s always asking me who to look out for when we go to games, but he was aware of Colin Simmons, it’s impossible to follow HS football in DFW and not know who he is. However, every time we left a Duncanville game he’d make me aware that January is just as good of a signing for Texas as Colin is and by the time they finished their business with North Shore on Saturday afternoon, I was in full agreement. His frame is impressive and his motor never changed from game to game nor from opponent to opponent. Duncanville went up against some decent offensive lines through the course of the season and playoffs and he won his matchup every game; even in their loss to DeSoto, he stood out. He’s likely not going to be a freshman All-American, but in the unlikely event he’s asked to play enough snaps to warrant that type of honor, he is capable of earning that level of recognition.

Here’s January in the state championship against North Shore. And if you’re still not sold, here’s Ian Boyd discussing January’s value-add to the overall scheme.

FIFY: 93.00 (My personal rating)

D’antre Robinson, DT, Orlando (Fla.) Jones

On3 Industry Ranking: 90.50

Of course I think Robinson is underrated. I deemed him the second most important player in the class after Colin Simmons. That doesn’t mean I think he’s the second best, but when factoring for roster need, scarcity, and ability, Robinson was a must-get in my view. The player who reminds me of T’Vondre Sweat actually beat Sweat to the end zone with a one-handed reception earlier in the year.

Borderline four-star? Get real.

FIFY: 95.00

Christian Clark, RB, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe

On3 Industry Ranking: 90.07

Clark’s name was omitted from the national hype machine due in part to being from Arizona and in part often operating in a timeshare at running back. He was originally considered an athlete rather than running back. Seeing that designation before watching his tape I expected to see a future linebacker, but nothing could have been further from the truth. He has a great combination of vision and lateral agility that help him find space and then good acceleration and long speed to hit from deep. Add a solid dose of power and you have yourself the makings of an elite volume running back.

FIFY: 95.00

Santana Wilson, CB, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain

On3 Industry Ranking: 90.84

A lot of people fawn over a prospect being a ‘coach’s son’ but give me the ‘player’s son’. Genetics matter, and so does individual skills training. They also have to look dad in the eye at the dinner table. If dad played in the NFL then dad is tough. Adrian Wilson was certainly tough. Santana doesn’t have his father’s hulking size for safety, but he’s well built for corner and more importantly moves like a corner. This was a brilliant early take by Terry Joseph.

That frame will effortlessly fill out and he’s going to be the cornerback version of his dad.

FIFY: 93.00 (I like On3’s ranking of him)

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

On3 Industry Ranking: 89.11

Confidence, poise and size in the pocket, toughness, and potentially elite arm talent are the Cliff’s Notes on Owens. He makes tough throws in big situations agains tight coverage. He’s also not afraid to compete.

Make sure to circle back to Inside Texas today at noon for an in-depth video look at Owens through the eyes of his trainer, J.P. Tillman.

FIFY: 92.50

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

On3 Industry Ranking: 89.41

Two-way tight ends — those who are plus blockers and receivers — are not easy to find, but Washington has the makings of becoming a complete player at the position. Here’s what a buddy of mine said in September:

I had Washington last night and he’s much better than his film. I think he ends up being a devastating blocker once he’s bigger but he’s fully committed now. Very agile and created separation all night. Just bad QB play from Langham Creek. His initial punch is extremely violent. Reminded me of what I thought of Billy Walton last year. Walton will strike you!!!

I always liked Washington’s film. In addition to his ‘want-to’ as a blocker he is an easy mover as a receiver.

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

On3 Industry Ranking: 89.96

Here’s what I wrote in May when predicting Livingtsone would commit to Texas:

With a strong, 6-foot-4, 190 pound frame, Livingstone is going to be a physical presence as he eventually plays north of 210 pounds. Physicality is just one of many important traits, but if matched with good ball skills, body control, and hands, it can be a defining trait. However, Livingstone is more than just size, and it’s possible that as he adds strength his speed will increase and the ability he shows to stretch the field in high school will translate to college.

A more complete evaluation of Livingstone would include junior year track times, but alas, he elected to focus on baseball this past Spring. While his ability as a baseball player does highlight his coordination, I would love to see if he could improve upon his very impressive 21.69 200 meter time posted as a sophomore. I’m guessing he would have.

That evaluation was playing out cleanly early in the season before Livingstone hurt his foot.

Each of Livingstone’s positive traits complements the next. He might not be elite at any one aspect — though he’s a terrific ball-winner — but he’s good at all of them.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I dont have a sub but Hampton is the first pic in the article

This isn't a prediction it will happen, but The Crimson Tide are in the thick of it down the stretch for Daingerfield (Texas) High four-star athlete Aeryn Hampton. Hampton committed to the Longhorns in July, but throughout his process Alabama led for much of it. Nick Saban went in-home with Hampton and the dialogue continues into today with the Crimson Tide staff.

Texas has 247Sports No. 5 ranked recruiting class and still love their chances of flipping four-star linebacker Tyanthony Smith from Texas A&M

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Within the last hour or so, Suchomel saying Hampton may still end up flipping to Bama.

56 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don't think any of us consider Hampton to be a firm commit. I also don't think any of us really care where he ends up.

If Hampton flips, does that free up UT to go after Terry Bussy in the lead up to February signing day?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 10
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

Hearing Wingo already flipped to Mizzou. Source is colleagues that are Mizzou alumni that are friends with NIL carriers. NIL Deal was signed 2 weeks ago.

Apparently there was drama with family during his last visit to Texas and shit hit the fan.

Well he posted this two weeks ago

And retweeted Black's commitment post. But other than that sure.

• Haha 2