Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Let me get this straight, the dad takes a bag from mizzou, kid signs there and they(Missouri) are then going to sue the family they just paid? Think you’re missing a key piece to this puzzle that he’s not signed yet….

The only thing that makes sense is somebody in the wingo camp wants to squeeze us for a little extra cash. 

Just now, crash_davis said:

The original premise is that Wingo hasn't signed with Texas bc the dad took a bag from Mizzou. I was saying Wingo could still sign with Texas bc what's Mizzou going to do, sue?

I gotcha, was just pointing out that it read like they were going to sue the parents they just paid and he signs. That would be a first 

3 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

Losing Wingo would suck but grabbing Stewart would be a great consolation prize. You just know he'll catch the game winning TD at kyle next year, sending the ags into full meltdown.

Only way Stewart catches the game winning TD against aggy next year is if it happens in the first quarter, because it's going to be a 49-0 massacre.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

I wouldn't put that out of the realm of possibility but what is Mizzou going to do? Sue him?

Wingo's dad doesn't need bag money. They have a long history of sending Wingos to places other than Mizzou. Ryan Wingo going there would be a stunner. 

Drinkwitz reminds me a lot of Muschamp as a HC. Media people love the guy because of how he handles them. He doesn't have the same personality as Muschamp, but Muschamp was great with media in that he'd feed people offline every kind of scuttlebutt they want to hear or report. So he'd always get a ton of love in the media and then when he had a good season at UF, boy, that machine was about to roll.

Listening to XM84 lately, they're talking the same way about Drinkwitz at Mizzou. Then, I remember that I've watched the guy coach, and I smirk. Yeah, he's 10-2. He also got a delay of game called on him with :03 on the clock and made his kicker attempt a 61 yarder instead of 56 yarder against KSU. The guy inherited a senior-laden team at App State, coached them to 11-1 and left after one season ahead of the bowl game and went to Mizzou. At Mizzou, he's had 3 seasons below .500 and now this fortuitous season. I guess we'll see if that's built to last. Their schedule is Charmin soft again next season and he returns a ton of experience, so maybe he's got a shot, but I'm ... from Missouri on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m not rationalizing Wingo because it will put us in serious scramble mode for 25 and 26, but if his large NIL money gets repurposed to the transfer portal (say the kid from AZ) that’s a net win for us in 24. 
He was my 3rd most important get behind Simmons and Filsame, but if you are going to get the rug pulled out from you on signing day in this day and age WR would be my first choice for it to happen at. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Getting Smith would be great and all, but I don't measure pleasure in college sports through the lens of aggie tears. Those are nice and all, but that won't make me feel better about losing Hampton or Wingo.

This. Also why I’m not interested in Evan Stewart. Building your program through a guiding philosophy of what would stick it to your rival the most is a big part of why ATM is where it is. We can do much better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe blight is a better way of viewing this. Are you fine living with a little blight in your crops or forest? Or do you want it removed, root and branch?

Depends is it your lively hood or just an expensive hobby?  If lively hood it isn't economical for you to totally eradicate the blight, you make more money ignoring it and not adding the expense of eradication, if it's a hobby for you to blow your excess money on to have a pristine crop or forest, go for it.

That said, I agree with your point- fuck Saban and let him know to stay the fuck out of Texas.

Edited by TexasRenegade