USMNT 2021

Napoleon

14 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That ref and VAR situation was/is crap.  If every qualifying game is on TV, then there's no excuse not to have some sort of setup to review plays.   The cost should be part of the officiating expenditures - i.e. on CONCACAF.  If they can pay for it here and in Mexico, they should be able to pay for it elsewhere.

As per the ref, we're now screwed out of 2 starters for Jamaica.  It does us no good to win last night, then lose on Tuesday.  3 + 0 = 0 + 3.  How we end up with 2 cards for defending a player verbally that just got his face raked, while Mexico's players continued to yell directly in the ref's face is beyond me.

And, I'd really love to buy a "Man in the Mirror" shirt, but everyone would just think I was a Michael Jackson fan.

That REF was a joke...

If we can't beat Jamaica without the two players that are out, does USMNT really deserve to advance anyway ??

concacaf_posiciones.jpg_837728158.jpg&w=

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That REF was a joke...

If we can't beat Jamaica without the two players that are out, does USMNT really deserve to advance anyway ??

concacaf_posiciones.jpg_837728158.jpg&w=

Sure but didn't we already drop points on the road to El Salvodor or some other crap country?  After T&T, I'd prefer not to fuck around and find out we have to get a result in game 14.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Which boy?

I noticed that 3 FC Dallas players started: McKennie, Zimmerman, and Pepi

1 FC Dallas was about to come on before Miles Robinson got his second yellow = red: Cannon

4 FC Dallas Academy players were subbed on: Acosta, Richards, Ferreira, and…

Funes Mori (MEX).

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!

Maybe, maybe La Masia could match that in 2010-2014, but other than that, even River Plate & Boca Jrs didn’t produce that many guys on a single team coming out of their academy/making their professional debuts.

it's the only thing the hunts have done right since they bought the team

Soccer America

USA-Mexico Men's World Cup Qualifying Player Ratings

by Mike Woitalla

USA-MEXICO EXPRESS:
Nov. 12 in Cincinnati, Ohio
USA 2 Mexico 0. Goals: Pulisic 74, McKennie 85.
Att.: 26,000.

The USA delivered the game plan that Coach Gregg Berhalter promised  -- "high press ... put speed in the game ... make it uncomfortable for them" -- and pulled off the most dominating U.S. win over Mexico in the rivalry's World Cup qualifying history. Mexico's frustration mounted amid the game's frenetic pace, the USA matched Mexico in possession, out-shot El Tri 18-8, and Christian Pulisic put the USA ahead five minutes after his second-half arrival off the bench. Weston McKennie's goal revived the dos a cero tradition.

GOALKEEPER

Mexico had the best chance and most impressive attacking sequence in a hectic first half when its slick passing broke the USA's high press and sent Chucky Lozano through for a low shot from 16 yards that Zack Steffen blocked with a darting dive save in the 18th minute. Steffen also looked good six minutes earlier with a diving save, although Edson Alvarez's well-placed shot from outside the penalty area lacked power.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG) 25/0 (26)

DEFENDERS

The relentless pressure that the U.S. midfield applied to successfully disrupt Mexico's buildups limited El Tri's ability to test the backline, which did intervene successfully when it had to. Central defender Walker Zimmermann headed clear a 57th-minute cross after the Mexicans broke through for the first time in the second half. His central partner Miles Robinson started strong with a 2nd-minute tackle on Jesus Corona but his second yellow-card foul sent him off in the 89th minute -- late enough that it didn't cost the USA. Left back Antonee Robinson tended to trouble the Mexicans until his final pass, although he set up a couple shots. DeAndre Yedlin played competently enough allow Yunus Musah freedom to surge forward.

DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR) 70/0 (28)

Miles Robinson (Atlanta United) 15/3 (24)

Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC) 21/2 (28)

Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG) 18/1 (24)

MIDFIELDERS

The marauding Weston McKennie capped his all-around performance by stroking home the USA's second goal, after which he showed deep in the U.S. half to end a rare Mexico attack. Yunus Musah's midfield support contributed to Tim Weah's outstanding performance. Tyler Adams filled in the gaps when his midfield companions and the outside backs attacked.

Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP) 10/0 (18)

Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER) 21/1 (22)

Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA) 28/8 (23)

FORWARDS

Left winger Brenden Aaronson's first corner kick didn't get past the first Mexican defender and later efforts were better but ineffective. His 18th-minute shot went straight to keeper. Tim Weah showed signs of being the USA's sharpest attacker in the first half when his low pass created a chance for tightly marked Ricardo Pepi, who came inches short of reaching it for a solid shot. Early in the second half, Weah blazed through to serve up the USA's best chance at that point, McKennie's shot that Ochoa saved. In the 74th minute Weah, delivered the perfect cross for Pulisic to score the go-ahead goal. Weah even contributed on the other end with a solid tackle to end a Mexican attack. Pepi's hustle contributed significantly to Mexico's inability to find routes out of his own half,  but his scoring touch failed him when the ball popped up to him 10 yards out. He shot high over the crossbar.

Tim Weah (Lille/FRA) 17/1 (21)

Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas) 5/3 (18)

Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT) 14/5 (21)

SUBSTITUTES

Christian Pulisic followed the script the USA had hoped for -- producing what the USA needed within the few minutes he was limited to because of his injury recovery. Making his qualifying debut, Jesus Ferreira shot wide in stoppage time.

Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG) 41/17 (23)

Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids) 43/2 (26)

Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas) 3/2 (20)

Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER) 5/0 (21)

TRIVIA: Friday's game marked the 73rd USA-Mexico encounter, dating back to 1934. The head-to-head record now stands at 22 USA wins, 36 Mexico wins, 15 ties. Since 2000, the USA has won 17, lost 9, and tied 6.

Nov. 12 in Cincinnati, Ohio
USA 2 Mexico 0. Goals: Pulisic 74, McKennie 85.
USA -- Steffen; Yedlin, M.Robinson, Zimmerman, A.Robinson; Musah (Acosta, 82), Adams, McKennie; Weah (Richards, 90+1), Pepi (Ferreira, 82), Aaronson (Pulisic, 69).
Mexico -- Ochoa; L.Rodriguez, Dominguez, Vasquez, Gallardo; Romo (C.Rodriguez, 74), Alvarez (Funes Mori, 83), Herrera; Corona (Alvarado, 75), Jimenez, Lozano.
Yellow cards: USA -- M.Robinson 59, 90, Steffen 68, McKennie 68; Mexico -- Romo 45+1, L.Rodriguez 68. Red cards: USA -- M.Robinson 89; Mexico -- none.
Referee: Ivan Barton (El Salvador)
Att.: 26,000.

Stats:
USA/Mexico
Shots: 18/8
Shots on target: 5/4
Saves:4/3
Corner Kicks: 5/3
Fouls: 12/13
Offside: 0/1
Possession: 49%/51%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

If we can get an early goal at Azteca this cycle it will feel a whole lot different than it did with Davies and Bradley.

Tenfold? Looks like Pulisic and McKennie weren't that far off in xGa.

Weah was great. Not super opinionated between him and McKennie on MOTM. Weah probably played better but I think McKennie's job is harder. And I'm not factoring McKennie's goal into the equation too much although the finish was superb. The chance was kind of created from poor defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After the Mexico game, I'm curious to see where Reyna fits. He doesn't fit the mold of what Aaronson/Weah were doing at all. He also can't cover the ground in the middle like Musah/Adams/McKennie. I'd be interested to see Reyna as a false 9 to see how that looks. It's obviously overthinking things to leave him out of the lineup when healthy, but he's not a clean fit into any of the roles the looked really good against Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

After the Mexico game, I'm curious to see where Reyna fits. He doesn't fit the mold of what Aaronson/Weah were doing at all. He also can't cover the ground in the middle like Musah/Adams/McKennie. I'd be interested to see Reyna as a false 9 to see how that looks. It's obviously overthinking things to leave him out of the lineup when healthy, but he's not a clean fit into any of the roles the looked really good against Mexico.

Filipo with Tactical Manager discussed this today (talking points 3-5). He contends the US needs more chances coming centrally and that Reyna (or possibly Luca de la Torre) would provide this. Filipo has long championed Reyna at attacking mid for the USMNT instead of winger.

I'm inclined to agree but don't know who should get pulled.

We absolutely bossed midfield in a way I've never seen the US to do Mexico, and El Tri struggled to get the ball out of its half against pressure from our front six. I believe their only quality chances came on the counter after a bad giveaway from our midfield. They were completely incapable of building from the back.

But when the US won the ball and transitioned forward, many of our buildups fizzled because that final connection wasn't there. (In fairness, every team struggles with this.)

23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Only lineup quibble was Steffen. His decision-making still seems questionable (uncertain?), particularly when coming off his line, but he stepped up when we needed him.

Not sure I agree. The guy didn't let any get past him, and I didn't think he looked shaky at all. In fact given how we were playing around with the ball on the back end, I think his feet were needed. I thought before the game that might be a decision to be concerned about, not anymore. I think Berhalter made the right call there.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That REF was a joke...

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Sure but didn't we already drop points on the road to El Salvodor or some other crap country?  After T&T, I'd prefer not to fuck around and find out we have to get a result in game 14.

I think with our talent pool, if Berhalter makes the right roster choices and stops playing guys out of position and plays our best lineups he has available to him, we should beat anyone on the bottom half of the octagonal, home or road. We are that much better than these squads. To me the days of 3 at home, 1 on the road are done. It should be looking to win every game, even Mexico on the road. We have the team that can do that and win games against the bottom feeders.

In the games we dropped road points, what Berhalter did was extremely questionable. We looked really lost in the El Salvador opener and against Panama he ran out a team that was attempting to play for a draw, WTF!?!?!

So yeah, even with the players that will miss Jamaica, it shouldn't matter, we should be able to beat them.

BTW - Reyna fits because he is too talented NOT to be on the field. Frankly I like the ideal that @Braff Zacklin mentioned from Filipe, put him in the middle. MMA is great, but if you can swap Reyna in for one of them and this team becomes a lot better, then so be it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, goatsaag said:

He also can't cover the ground in the middle like Musah/Adams/McKennie

Uh... yes he can. He's a world class midfielder for his age. Maybe watch him play. Sure he doesn't have their pace but he is a fucking ball hawk and his positioning IQ is off the charts. He isn't worth $50M+ because of his false 9 potential. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

For a world cup title I would give up every other sports team title for the rest of my life without question

It would be fun.  No doubt.  One thing that would just about put this over UT football for me would be the idea of the entire country potentially shutting down as the team got deeper and deeper into the tourney.  Some of the scenes from places like Soldier Field, KC, and sports bars around the world were pretty cool to see during our last run.

I've lived in Dallas for 80% of my life, but have somehow been in either Austin or Tennessee for every Dallas-area championship.  I was in TN in 2005.  Other than the Sidekicks when I was a kid in '87, I haven't been able to partake in the buildup of a local playoff/championship run.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Saw one "article" on it without any sources but nothing on /r/soccer or /r/Chelsea so figured it was nothing. There's a new Pulisic rumor every week. 

If they do sell him it will be because of impatience with the injury issues and guessing they would turn around and instantly buy another winger as the attack has been a little anemic lately with injuries stacking up. Pulisic when healthy and in form is still a very good fit for Chelsea. Then again - he'd be a good fit anywhere. 

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dammit.  Another 4PM game on Tuesday.  I guess I should be happy that, at least, I've got Paramount+ this time.

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Think I’m going to have to take the afternoon off and hit up the Londoner. 

Perfect! 5 PM (EST) is the time I "pickup" the kiddo from the nanny, I can just flip on the TV at that time too!

Edited by Captain Ron

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

It would be a loan.

There was also rumors that Chelsea wanted Dest a couple of months ago as well. Barca has assets and can move money around pretty easily if they really want to.

I don't want Pulisic at Barca at this point, but the fact that these rumors come only have Xavi takes over is pretty flattering and does help that thought as well. 

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

There was also rumors that Chelsea wanted Dest a couple of months ago as well. Barca has assets and can move money around pretty easily if they really want to.

I don't want Pulisic at Barca at this point, but the fact that these rumors come only have Xavi takes over is pretty flattering and does help that thought as well. 

Yeah I’m still agreeing with 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

That doesn't make any sense.