Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Explain it to me like I'm 5, because I essentially am when it comes to schemes -- how does a soft "don't let them get behind us" defense let them get behind them?

If ever there was a "you had ONE job" moment, it seems that was it.  Maybe I missed something.

coverage busts can happen even if you are playing "soft".  miscommunication on "handing off" a receiver was likely at play on the Hutchinson drop.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Explain it to me like I'm 5, because I essentially am when it comes to schemes -- how does a soft "don't let them get behind us" defense let them get behind them?

If ever there was a "you had ONE job" moment, it seems that was it.  Maybe I missed something.

They ran a go and deep out with a RB flaring out to create a simple flood.  The normal way to cover this would be Barron staying over the Go, Hill driving on the deep out, OLB splitting the difference of the out and flare - not really covering either but forcing air under the ball to the deep out while still being able to come up and make a tackle on the flare.  What happened at the critical moment isn't on camera, but it looks like both Cook and Barron drove on the deep out, leaving the Go wide open.

We don't play soft coverage.  It's almost like a meme on this board for the other team to catch any pass and people to knee jerk something about soft coverage.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They ran a go and deep out with a RB flaring out to create a simple flood.  The normal way to cover this would be Barron staying over the Go, Hill driving on the deep out, OLB splitting the difference of the out and flare - not really covering either but forcing air under the ball to the deep out while still being able to come up and make a tackle on the flare.  What happened at the critical moment isn't on camera, but it looks like both Cook and Barron drove on the deep out, leaving the Go wide open.

We don't play soft coverage.  It's almost like a meme on this board for the other team to catch any pass and people to knee jerk something about soft coverage.

Baron is on the bottom of the screen (playing CB on the boundary side), so I believe the mix up is between Cook and Jamison

image.png.2dad7bf4ff0b799c4c4bac9eda7c194c.png

Looks like Dorsey going to the flat, not sure. My guess was cover 3 (complete guess, since you cant see much). Cook assumed assumed Jamison would take the fly and he hustled to grab the out, only to find to Jamison there also (I believe that is Jamison, but I can not see his number)

Edited by Codaxx

This thread is always an interesting read a couple days after our games

On 10/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, Texasborn91 said:

It seems like we try to shrink the pocket instead of just a straight pass rush. 

I thought ISU's use of rollouts was really clever. All of our pass rush is in the middle of the line. I expect to see more rollouts from other teams moving forward. 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, longhornmatt said:

The Akina “4 corners” method of recruiting and filling out the starting lineup got a lot more athletes on the field than recruiting guys who only project to safety (read: slow).  

I kind of thought we were doing that when Austin Jordan was supposedly a safety recruit according to the $9.95ers, but it turns out we’re playing him at corner.  And we’re doing things like playing Taaffe in close games and spinning Blackwell up to safety from LB, so I’m not holding out much hope that we prioritize athleticism at safety.

Which, btw, if we’re not going to do that, maybe work a little harder not to let the opposing team get their best (and only) WR matched up one on one with our safeties all the time.

We moved Cook and Crawford to safety this year. I have high hopes for Crawford next year but he definitely doesn't seem ready yet

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The coaches on defense also just need to sub less.  The first Dorsey/Bush/Taaffe drive was one of ISU’s first possessions of the game, and we played those guys the entire drive (i.e., it was a planned rotation, not guys coming in because someone got hurt or took themselves out because they were gassed).  

The offense essentially never subs anyone except the RBs, so I don’t think it’s a Sark thing.  Meanwhile, both this year and last year our defensive rotations have been way too inclusive for the bench warmers in competitive situations.  It’s not as harmful this year because the DL subs at least are all bringing it (last year we’d play the 3rd string DL when we had a team pinned inside their own 5 and promptly get gashed on simple handoffs), but the back 7 rotation is still not helping.

Before yesterday, Watts had played 86.37% of snaps, Thompson 85.68%, Cook 75.29%, Jamison 65.82% (lower due to injuries). And that's all with some blowouts where you expect to see the backups. We really don't rotate our DBs that much except for Barron (55.2%). Johnson (32.33% higher due to injuries), Guilbeau (30.25%), and Crawford (20.79%) are the only backup DBs with a snap share above 10%.

24 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Baron is on the bottom of the screen (playing CB on the boundary side), so I believe the mix up is between Cook and Jamison

image.png.2dad7bf4ff0b799c4c4bac9eda7c194c.png

Looks like Dorsey going to the flat, not sure. My guess was cover 3 (complete guess, since you cant see much). Cook assumed assumed Jamison would take the fly and he hustled to grab the out, only to find to Jamison there also (I believe that is Jamison, but I can not see his number)

That might be Guilbeau and not Dorsey. Can only see a 3, so it is either Dorsey (#3) or Guilbeau (#13).. Either way, I am pretty sure it is on Jamison

Edited by Codaxx

46 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Well, call it what you will, their receivers had a ton of space to operate in on Saturday.

Well, call it what you will, their receivers had a ton of space to operate in on Saturday.

There's a difference between blown coverage and soft coverage. Most of this board sees a WR open and immediately calls it soft coverage.  Soft coverage is generally referred to when teams are playing way off the receivers and drop at the snap. We do this some, where we line up at the first down marker and then the DBs still bail, giving up an easy first, but most of the conversions this week were deeper in the secondary, which would be blown coverages/assignments. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think what he is saying, is people are confusing shitty for soft. Anytime there is a completion, everyone reacts with "soft coverage". ISU scores on a 54 yard slant with press coverage and people dont say "why are we always in press coverage", they still say "soft coverage"

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There's a difference between blown coverage and soft coverage. Most of this board sees a WR open and immediately calls it soft coverage.  Soft coverage is generally referred to when teams are playing way off the receivers and drop at the snap.

That would be my interpretation of the phrase.

We do this some, 

Contrast this with the statement above:  "we don't play soft coverage".

My amateur interpretation is that, at least on Saturday, this defense was trying to keep everything in front of them.  In my mind that's "soft".  Doesn't necessarily mean "bad" unless one has a particularly dogmatic approach to defensive theory.  If I assume that the strategy was to keep everthing in front of the defense, and then some dude gets wide open, that to me signals a failure in executing the defense.  Blown, soft, whatever.

That would be my interpretation of the phrase.

Contrast this with the statement above:  "we don't play soft coverage".

My amateur interpretation is that, at least on Saturday, this defense was trying to keep everything in front of them.  In my mind that's "soft".  Doesn't necessarily mean "bad" unless one has a particularly dogmatic approach to defensive theory.  If I assume that the strategy was to keep everthing in front of the defense, and then some dude gets wide open, that to me signals a failure in executing the defense.  Blown, soft, whatever.

The difference is soft coverage is a problem when the defense executes the coverage correctly, but it still gives up a first because the coverage had them playing too far off. Blown coverage is when the players on the defense don't execute the call correctly. It's a meaningful difference when we're talking about it in the thread about our DC and whether his calls are to blame for the failure or it's another issue. 

You're wrong about our defense on Saturday.  The biggest problem was our back 7 not executing.  When guys are getting open deep down the field like they were on Saturday, calling a soft coverage is not usually to blame. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You're wrong about our defense on Saturday.  The biggest problem was our back 7 not executing.  When guys are getting open deep down the field like they were on Saturday, calling a soft coverage is not usually to blame. 

I'm literally saying we blew the soft coverage.  Is that wrong?  Did we blow tighter coverage?

Somebody blew something.  Ahem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

The biggest difference between the offense and defense is happening on Sunday and Monday. People can say what they want about Sark, but he does a great job scouting. He usually comes out and hammers a defense, based on where he sees a weakness. I just dont see the same game prep from the defensive staff. Feels like the defense comes into game and is surprised by when the opposing offense does what they did the last 4 games. Its very odd, because PK came as a guy that was known for varying his schemes from game to game. 

They had to bench cook for an egregious blown assignment, between him and Jamison who has more experience on our entire team? If you can’t get your leaders to pay attention it’s going to be damn hard to expect your young guys to put in the work and have the dedication to be great. No edge rush, no LB’s that can stay on the field for 3 downs, and DB’s blowing coverages. Tom Herman is still haunting us apparently. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

They had to bench cook for an egregious blown assignment, between him and Jamison who has more experience on our entire team? If you can’t get your leaders to pay attention it’s going to be damn hard to expect your young guys to put in the work and have the dedication to be great. No edge rush, no LB’s that can stay on the field for 3 downs, and DB’s blowing coverages. Tom Herman is still haunting us apparently. 

Kind of a weird game. I have been known to criticize the secondary, but they have been assignment sound this year. This one and the long TD pass were really out of character. I am not sure what to make of it. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

before the season I heard through some contacts that Patterson was saying our DB's on campus are avg to below average.  the injuries didn't help on Saturday.

They obviously made a decision to go with death by 1000 cuts, hope the O doesn't go dormant during games and maybe we can create some QB pressure other ways.

ISU and Bama both had some bad drops which helped tremendously.  

I've been all in on the PK isn't the answer train, but this was known by the staff since the beginning of the year.  The O needs to pick it the fuck up. They need to score 35+ a game because we are going to give up 3rd and short/medium all year against any O with a pulse.  Hopefully some of last game was just ISU's D being pretty salty.

We knew our LB’s were going to be rough, our edge rushers downright awful, and now the DB’s were average or below average. I really fuckin hate Tom Herman. 

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

I watched the every-play on YouTube and yikes, the pass defense was atrocious. The stat sheet reads like Texas dominated first and second downs, then ISU subbed in a NFL roster on third down. What actually happened on plenty of occasions is that ISU just found themselves in third and long because they suck and dropped passes, missed throws, etc. on first and second down, but got it right on third. The opportunities for those plays were never not there.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I watched the every-play on YouTube and yikes, the pass defense was atrocious. The stat sheet reads like Texas dominated first and second downs, then ISU subbed in a NFL roster on third down. What actually happened on plenty of occasions is that ISU just found themselves in third and long because they suck and dropped passes, missed throws, etc. on first and second down, but got it right on third. The opportunities for those plays were never not there.

We suck, I’m not sure you understand this. Not a single defensive starter we have is going to be drafted, undrafted free agents is the best we can hope for until the freshman and sophomore’s start taking over. Your expectations and reality are skewed lol.  

7 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

We suck, I’m not sure you understand this. Not a single defensive starter we have is going to be drafted, undrafted free agents is the best we can hope for until the freshman and sophomore’s start taking over. Your expectations and reality are skewed lol.  

You should lay off telling other people their reality is skewed. We absolutely have guys who will get drafted on this defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

If we start numerically I can't get past zero without knowing you are incorrect.

• Like 1

I was there in '08 when Gideon dropped that pick. For just a moment, that stadium was crushed. I would have never guessed that he'd be the only guy (or close to it if I'm being fact-checked) in the stadium that day still associated with the Texas D in 2022.

22 hours ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Absolutely. GP and PK have their work cut out for them when game planning for TCU. They seem like a matchup nightmare for us this year. OSU seems easier to game plan, but the players will just have to execute better than this game.

Something that i’ve wondered the last two days is how much of the soft coverage (minus the safety/freshman DB blown coverage long TD) by PK is predicated on the idea that our offense is elite but our defensive skill players are not? If we score 35 against ISU, the 21 looks much better. If we force the opponent to make lots of small plays we have a better chance of stopping them in the long run, keeping them to just three points, or turning them over. Then, we just rely on our offense to score more.

Is that me justifying things, a losers mentality, or a sign that PK doesn’t have the dudes on defense that he feels can just dominate other teams (a la Georgia).

Death by a thousand cuts is slow and painful, but it lacks the inevitability of beheading. There is always a chance that something happens before your executioner gets to 1000. I think the lack of talent and proficiency at edge and DB force us to choose. As stated above, zone and blown can be but are not necessarily also soft coverages. 

22 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think my biggest defense-related concern actually pertains to next year and the year after. We just haven't recruited (out of high school or the portal) the same level of player on defense as we have on offense. From the 21-22 recruiting classes (inclusive of underclassman transfers like Ewers), we have 7 offensive players ranked .97 or better on the composite coming out of high school. Only 4 on defense. Among those recruits, the offensive average is .9831, whereas the defensive average is .9557.  If you extend that out to 2023 (as of now), the gap widens to 11 vs. 6. It's particularly glaring at off-ball linebacker, where we don't have a single 21-23 recruit in the .90s.  DT isn't quite as bad but still not great.  Whether PK is the right coach or not (seems like not), we will absolutely need to either hit on lower ranked prospects or use the portal for a talent infusion at those positions. 

This. Jimmies and Joes. Today's offenses, even pedestrian ones, are frequently going to threaten weak points. Not many teams have no weak points on D-- it would be nice to join the not many.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

Those passing % and conversion numbers are flat-out putrid. We need recruiting/portaling and development. While we still have an unacceptable deficit in personnel, I would rather hold my nose, shout at my TV, and stink at those than at points allowed (which is second-rate, granted, but not bad enough to ruin a season by itself). I honestly don't know whether it is just a "grass is greener" situation or whether we are foolish for keeping PK for now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I was there in '08 when Gideon dropped that pick. For just a moment, that stadium was crushed. I would have never guessed that he'd be the only guy (or close to it if I'm being fact-checked) in the stadium that day still associated with the Texas D in 2022.

Death by a thousand cuts is slow and painful, but it lacks the inevitability of beheading. There is always a chance that something happens before your executioner gets to 1000. I think the lack of talent and proficiency at edge and DB force us to choose. As stated above, zone and blown can be but are not necessarily also soft coverages. 

This. Jimmies and Joes. Today's offenses, even pedestrian ones, are frequently going to threaten weak points. Not many teams have no weak points on D-- it would be nice to join the not many.

Those passing % and conversion numbers are flat-out putrid. We need recruiting/portaling and development. While we still have an unacceptable deficit in personnel, I would rather hold my nose, shout at my TV, and stink at those than at points allowed (which is second-rate, granted, but not bad enough to ruin a season by itself). I honestly don't know whether it is just a "grass is greener" situation or whether we are foolish for keeping PK for now.

I know it is completely maddening to watch the defense, but the results have not been terrible. Texas is 18th in pts per drive this year (1.61 pts), after being 95th last year (2.58 pts). The last time Texas had a top 20 defense in pts per drive was 2017 (11th, 1.41 pts). There are obvious issues. Talent issues and coaching issues (Defensive game prep feels non-existent at times). For all our bitching, the biggest improvement on the team this season has come from the defense through 7 games. It is one of the most confusing story lines I have seen in Longhorn history. I hope it stays that way. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I know it is completely maddening to watch the defense, but the results have not been terrible. Texas is 18th in pts per drive this year (1.61 pts), after being 95th last year (2.58 pts). The last time Texas had a top 20 defense in pts per drive was 2017 (11th, 1.41 pts). There are obvious issues. Talent issues and coaching issues (Defensive game prep feels non-existent at times). For all our bitching, the biggest improvement on the team this season has come from the defense through 7 games. It is one of the most confusing story lines I have seen in Longhorn history. I hope it stays that way. 

This is surly

stop making sense.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Please point out where I said I expected better. I’ll wait. And the idea that no one on this defense is getting drafted is just wrong. Of the guys leaving this year alone there’s multiple draft picks.

This is just an unhinged rant.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

giphy.gif

Please point out where I said I expected better. I’ll wait. And the idea that no one on this defense is getting drafted is just wrong. Of the guys leaving this year alone there’s multiple draft picks.

This is just an unhinged rant.

Yeah my bad man, I was definitely drinking and all these pages upon pages of fire PK and the defensive staff sucks has me ragey. Overshown will probably be drafted on athletic ability alone, after that I’m not sure coburn or Jamison are guaranteed to be drafted but I could be wrong. Your comment about ISU bringing out an nfl roster on 3rd down to me sounded like you expected Texas to not make them look so good and make a stop. 

this angle really clarifies the non-targeting call for me!

It also clarifies the violence of that Cook hit.

Dang, he put his body on the line as atonement for busted coverage earlier. PK/Sark must love that. They got to rip him a new one and then praise him all in the same defensive film session.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It's odd that this team is absolutely overachieving expectations against the run and explosive plays while simultaneously underachieving at getting off the field on 3rd and 4th downs.  It's pretty maddening.  And as discussed in this thread it seems like a combo of scheme at times, talent (or lack thereof) at certain positions and our players (looking at you LB's in particular) playing with extremely low football IQ on obvious passing downs.  If we could just get slight improvement on D, our offense is good enough that we should start being able to actually put teams away in the 2nd half.

31 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah my bad man, I was definitely drinking and all these pages upon pages of fire PK and the defensive staff sucks has me ragey. Overshown will probably be drafted on athletic ability alone, after that I’m not sure coburn or Jamison are guaranteed to be drafted but I could be wrong. Your comment about ISU bringing out an nfl roster on 3rd down to me sounded like you expected Texas to not make them look so good and make a stop. 

Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Cook, Jamison and Overshown should all be drafted. Hell, Overshown may be the least likely to get drafted out of that group. He is not a NFL LB or edge player. He is going to be without a position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Why is the recruiting on offense better than on defense? Is it wanting to play in Sark's offense and not really knowing who PK is? Is it poor recuiting on the D side? What teams are more attractive for defensive elite and why? I would think Sark would be asking himself these questions.

Texas spent the Herman years ignoring the Edge position (Orlando didnt use it much), poor LB recruiting,  and recruiting slow DBs. DT recruiting was good and it shows. 

Edited by Codaxx

9 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Why is the recruiting on offense better than on defense?

What makes you think this is the case? We have 9 commits in the top 200 of the 247composite rankings. 4 on defense and 5 on offense.

2022 we had 12 in the top 200. 6 on offense and 6 on defense.

Edited by Hookem2147

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What makes you think this is the case? We have 9 commits in the top 200 of the 247composite rankings. 4 on defense and 5 on offense.

2022 we had 12 in the top 200. 6 on offense and 6 on defense.

What were Herman's numbers the last couple of years?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What were Herman's numbers the last couple of years?

2018 cylce- 14 in top 200. 9 on defense (Coburn, Ossai and Adoeye the only 3 non-DB's), 5 on offense

2019- 11 in top 200. 5 on defense (3 of which were secondary players. Floyd and Gbenda the other 2.), 6 on offense

2020- 10 in top 200. 6 on defense(Collins, Dorbah and Broughton. Other 3 were secondary guys), 4 on offense

2021- 3 in top 200 (if you don't include Worthy). Sanders, Ibraheem and JD Coffey. Our four highest rated front 7 players in that class were DJ Harris, Jordon Thomas, Terrence Cooks and Mo Blackwell.

• Hook 'Em 2

Reposting this here because it fits better:

This matches what I thought I saw during the game. It wasn't our zone defense that was the primary problem. It was busted man coverage. Iowa state average 17.2 yards per completion against man coverage, at a 78% completion rate. Against our zone coverage, those numbers dropped to 10.2 yards and 64%. Our zone coverage was actually pretty good apparently, as Iowa State only had a 30% success rate against zone vs a 66.7% success rate vs man. Iowa State used a lot of man beaters and we played man quite a bit. We just didn't do it well at all. Also, against third and 7+, Iowa State had a jaw dropping 12.1 yards per play. That's insane. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This matches what I thought I saw during the game. It wasn't our zone defense that was the primary problem. It was busted man coverage. Iowa state average 17.2 yards per completion against man coverage, at a 78% completion rate. Against our zone coverage, those numbers dropped to 10.2 yards and 64%. Our zone coverage was actually pretty good apparently, as Iowa State only had a 30% success rate against zone vs a 66.7% success rate vs man. Iowa State used a lot of man beaters and we played man quite a bit. We just didn't do it well at all. Also, against third and 7+, Iowa State had a jaw dropping 12.1 yards per play. That's insane. 

Am I reading that right that it's saying we blitzed on 40% of snaps? Interesting, if true.

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think the idea is to prevent big place and force the other team to execute. And Iowa State didn't execute on first and second down.

So half the time it worked every time.

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well that is not surprising considering the injuries we had in the secondary which caused lesser experienced players to be put on the field.  I'd have felt better about this if Cain didn't absolutely fuck our offense a couple times. 

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Well that is not surprising considering the injuries we had in the secondary which caused lesser experienced players to be put on the field.  I'd have felt better about this if Cain didn't absolutely fuck our offense a couple times. 

It would be interesting to see if we ran man more once Watts went out. Maybe the younger guys have no idea how to play zone? Before anyone jokes that no one does, our DBs have not been our weakness this year. They've been pretty dang good overall. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Cook, Jamison and Overshown should all be drafted. Hell, Overshown may be the least likely to get drafted out of that group. He is not a NFL LB or edge player. He is going to be without a position.

Two, maybe three, of those will get drafted if my draft-PTSD has anything to say about it.

34 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I read it same way and PFF seems to ~agree having blitz % at 37.5%.  Dekkers shredded us when we brought pressure:

image.png.bc5b816511539eece40b2fd195c7fab2.png

makes sense the blitz wasnt getting home. If I remember correctly Texas had 5 pressures in 37 pass attempts.. Call it 14 blitzes, even if all the pressures happened on blitz calls (unlikley)  that is just 36% pressure rate. It would be interesting to see the blitz rate vs success rate on the blitz, not sure anyone tracks that. I bet that it is saying Texas needs to drop 8 more and maybe sprinkle in some 6 man pressures as curve call, because the 5 man pressure package is not getting there enough. The other thing that would be interesting is when did Texas blitz (ex. Texas blitzed 100% of the time on 3rd and 8+), to see if we are telegraphing them. 

Edited by Codaxx

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

How I feel when I see these good defensive stats. 

98653F2F-794D-46AE-AB6C-13DBA80FCFCE.gif

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?