Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

You guys seem pretty certain that PK called the field goal unit out on the field, is responsible for their preparation, and called the play resulting in the conversion.
I assume one of you can provide a link showing as much?

They should have sent the defense back out in a formation.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just looked back at the replay and we didn’t change too much alignment wise against the wildcat. Maybe our safeties were crashing to support the run sooner but I think the biggest adjustment was just fitting better along the DL and at LB.2782EF4C-A57C-4279-9058-700BA85B3881.thumb.png.baeaaeb515fe38348a3f9d2c1c1e0264.pngCE9F950B-8DD4-4E1C-A276-21F89FA4A22F.thumb.png.fbabbdaf62b81ee0dad406d6df69f22c.png

If you watch how we handle runs to the edges in real time our integrity just wasn't there early on. Gotta force players back inside to the pursuit, and we just weren't doing that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guessing these are B12 stats only ???

If so, Texas hasn't played any of the good B12 offensive teams yet.

• West Virginia
  • Tech
  • blOU

Yes, those are rankings with the Big 12.

Ranked against all 131 teams, overall defense is 11th(104 last year), run defense is 20th(118), tackling is 32nd(86), pass rush is 14th(115), and coverage is 21st(53).

On the other hand, both UTSA and Alabama are rated high offensively with the top Big 12 teams. We have faced and played well against other highly rated offenses.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Overshown had the guy right at the sticks. A millisecond earlier and he’s tackled short.

They should’ve been playing regular defense on that. I said watch out for the fake about 10 times. If they had done that they would’ve stuffed it easily. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just looked back at the replay and we didn’t change too much alignment wise against the wildcat. Maybe our safeties were crashing to support the run sooner but I think the biggest adjustment was just fitting better along the DL and at LB.2782EF4C-A57C-4279-9058-700BA85B3881.thumb.png.baeaaeb515fe38348a3f9d2c1c1e0264.pngCE9F950B-8DD4-4E1C-A276-21F89FA4A22F.thumb.png.fbabbdaf62b81ee0dad406d6df69f22c.png

The top pic looks like the “base 2-4-5” look, with Ogoufo standing and Guibeau (?) walked up as well to the edge. The bottom is a more traditional 3-4 alignment, with DMO walked up at end. The problem with either of these alignments is that neither DMO or Oghoufo enjoy setting an edge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I’d say getting surprised by the wildcat/playing it with light boxes in 2 high was pretty bad, considering we knew their QB couldn’t pass to save his life. But at least we adjusted at half.

We haven’t faced many good offenses and I think we have some personnel and scheme weaknesses that will be exploited in the second half of our schedule, but there’s no doubt our D has taken a big step forward this year. 

This. It's both true that the defense is significantly better and that multiple teams on the back half of the schedule are going to be capable of moving the ball/scoring.

Here are the stats the defense has allowed on short passes over the middle so far this year 

22/40, 320 yards, 2 TDs

Pretty pedestrian. Maybe we should rethink the narrative that this is some kind of gaping weak for us. 

ETA stats for slants specifically: 17/26, 160 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

22 hours ago, horny_gunman said:

The top pic looks like the “base 2-4-5” look, with Ogoufo standing and Guibeau (?) walked up as well to the edge. The bottom is a more traditional 3-4 alignment, with DMO walked up at end. The problem with either of these alignments is that neither DMO or Oghoufo enjoy setting an edge.

Top pic looks like the 3rd DL is in the process of putting his hand down and DMO on the top side edge over the wing back as on the bottom pic. Agree on neither being particularly good at setting the edge. 

23 hours ago, jw4381 said:

They should’ve been playing regular defense on that. I said watch out for the fake about 10 times. If they had done that they would’ve stuffed it easily. 

They would’ve kicked the field goal and no shutout.  I’ll take the result with some teachable moments.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, Hookem2147 said:

The only reason anyone posted anything is because the commentary guy very early said we needed to adjust after OU had a single decent run.  The next two wildcat plays combined for 0 yards.

Most announcers are just talking to fill space; don't take them seriously.

• Hook 'Em 2

Before folks get too excited about this Texas defense, the Horns defense has given up the 2nd highest number of plays in CFB.

• Thru 6 games, Texas has given up 447 plays
  • Texas is ranked #75 in 3rd down defense

(Source was an IT video)

Unfortunately we didn't learn much in the blOU game who was without their starting QB -- there is still a ton more work to be done to improve this Longhorn defense.  We also need to improve on creating turnovers...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Before folks get too excited about this Texas defense, the Horns defense has given up the 2nd highest number of plays in CFB.

• Thru 6 games, Texas has given up 447 plays
  • Texas is ranked #75 in 3rd down defense

(Source was an IT video)

Unfortunately we didn't learn much in the blOU game who was without their starting QB -- there is still a ton more work to be done to improve this Longhorn defense.  We also need to improve on creating turnovers...

that is just wrong. Texas isnt 2nd in plays defended. It is second in plays defended in the Big 12, no the nation. 

Texas is 77th in 3rd down conversion rate at 39% (UTSA was 9-16 and WV 9-18)

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that is just wrong. Texas isnt 2nd in plays defended. It is second in plays defended in the Big 12, no the nation. 

Texas is 77th in 3rd down conversion rate at 39% (UTSA was 9-16 and WV 9-18)

Wonder where IT got their stats??

Time of possession may be interesting to watch Saturday vs Iowa State... Cyclones like to hurt their opponents offensive rhythm by winning this battle.

Based on what I found, Iowa State is 24th in the nation in time of possession averaging over 32mins/game. 

Texas needs to convert their early red zone visits into TDs and force the Cyclones out of their comfortable ball control style.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder where IT got their stats??

Time of possession may be interesting to watch Saturday vs Iowa State... Cyclones like to hurt their opponents offensive rhythm by winning this battle.

Based on what I found, Iowa State is 24th in the nation in time of possession averaging over 32mins/game. 

Texas needs to convert their early red zone visits into TDs and force the Cyclones out of their comfortable ball control style.  

Texas needs that Sark play script. Getting up a couple TDs early would go a long way. ISU's offense isnt one that should functions well, when they are sped up

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Brian Jones is still not pleased by Horns DEs play vs blOU -- says we have got to set the edge much better.  Teams are gonna continue to attempt exploiting our Defense by running wide because often Texas still has bad gap fits against the run.  

If he’s right, this will be very clear in the back half of the schedule and likely the primary culprit to us dropping games/missing title game.

I’d bet he’s right.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Brian Jones is still not pleased by Horns DEs play vs blOU -- says we have got to set the edge much better.  Teams are gonna continue to attempt exploiting our Defense by running wide because often Texas still has bad gap fits against the run.  

Did he also say we are still making playing time decisions based on race?

1 minute ago, The Earl of Texas said:

No one gives up 3rd and very long like a PK defense does.

Fail to send extra pressure to get to QB + run zone to ensure their best WR doesn’t have anyone assigned to him must be a strategy that is too bad ass and advanced for the likes of me to understand.

This. I'm ok with zone. I actually like a 425 zone...  But I also like bringing one on 3rd and longhorn, so the route trees don't get extended.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?