Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

45 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

26 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me why the computers rank our defense so high compared to what my eyes see on Saturdays.  

Look above. Opponent completion %, opponent third down %, and sack % are all related issues and why we struggle so much on defense. It is hard to get after the passer with a 3 man front. Beating a man head up is a lot harder than coming from the edge. We have JAGs so some of these guys would be a lot more effective playing in a different scheme. We need to play a different front on those 3rd and longs but opposing teams know that and rush back to the line to keep our personnel on the field, and thus no pass rush. 

36 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me why the computers rank our defense so high compared to what my eyes see on Saturdays.  

Turnovers and yardage per play. Has to be. There’s a weird statistical kink in the numbers that coach pop a bitch posted. We are a millionth in opponent completion percentage but FOURTH in yards per completion. We are getting dinked and dunked to death which we know based on how many frustrating third downs we give up. Teams aren’t zipping through us with any regularity. But the one that really gets me is the opponent Qb rating. That doesn’t comport with eyeballs and I think it has to be driven by turnovers. 

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well good thing we don’t primarily operate out of a 3 man front.

If you think our pass rush issues have to do with how our DL is lining up then I don’t know what to tell you.

I'd like to see Ethan Burke in on 3rd downs. I'm not sure if he knows what he's doing yet but he looks disruptive and seems like he has pass rush skills. We don't have that right now.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'd like to see Ethan Burke in on 3rd downs. I'm not sure if he knows what he's doing yet but he looks disruptive and seems like he has pass rush skills. We don't have that right now.

I think Burke and Finkley burned their red shirts, so I am completely for giving them some chances to rush the passer. Finkley probably has the least pass rushing potential, but I really don’t see the downside to giving them some reps in passing situations. I am not sure either are the answer, but I think the risk is minimal. 

Staff seemed to know that our players on the backend simply couldn’t cover and make plays on the ball in the air for shit. LBs basically trying to learn passing lanes on the fly, because it always seems they are wherever they want to be on obvious passing downs. 

Staff apparently made damn sure they were going to utilize the one area of depth and strength and make sure that we would be solid against the run. Do that, and damage can be minimized by playing soft coverage on the backend and keep things in front of them. 

You’d imagine that reps and experience would assist the players development. Learn tendencies/anticipate instead of being reactive to the play and trying to attack after ball is out. 

Our players are our players. So the staff has to set them up to be as successful as possible. Obviously you want to the them progress as the season goes on. What’s it look like???? Like we are still lost finding the ball in the air while in man. 

So its rather easy to see why teams are so successful against us. Because we are running simple base zone/man. There’s film…. Teams know where to find the open area. From there its pitch and catch. Teams still have to execute the passing and catching aspect, but planning on them fucking that up isn’t a good strategy 

• Hook 'Em 3

Turnovers and yardage per play. Has to be. There’s a weird statistical kink in the numbers that coach pop a bitch posted. We are a millionth in opponent completion percentage but FOURTH in yards per completion. We are getting dinked and dunked to death which we know based on how many frustrating third downs we give up. Teams aren’t zipping through us with any regularity. But the one that really gets me is the opponent Qb rating. That doesn’t comport with eyeballs and I think it has to be driven by turnovers. 

This was our worst performance rushing the passer. We only had 5 pressures, two of which were from Ford. Without seeing those Ford pressures, I’m guessing they were delayed rushes. And probably our worst yards per pass and per completion on the season.

This was the first game without much dink and dunk. Up until OU almost half of Fords tackles were on passes so we’re not talking down the field. While we didn’t get sacks it forced some quick underneath stuff.

We need more sacks and more turnovers. But we were poor on 3rd down yesterday because, in part, due to limited pressure. I know Brooks blitzed twice - one catch, one misfire that could have been 6.

For our defense, the key is pressure. We’ll play pretty solid run D, but we’re not good at intermediate pass D. If that gets going, then deeper shots start to open up too. And acting I think we’re giving up deeper shots than last year, but we have received some misfires/catches from our opponents.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you think our pass rush issues have to do with how our DL is lining up then I don’t know what to tell you.

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

When we can get to this look we look a little more effective at pressuring the QB but then our eye discipline in our back 7 rears its ugly head when we are close to hitting home on the pass rush. Ugh

image.thumb.png.4ef025a673ca1c208a6b93bee25010c7.png

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

So I keep going back and forth about this defense.  If given the chance, I would part ways with PK but who would we hire that would be an immediate improvement.  Sark should give him the axe only if he has an actual DC that is proven.  We’ve seen what changing schemes and coaches constantly does.  This defense has issues but we still are holding teams from scoring and that is with major personnel issues.  Hutchinson and Noel are damn good WRs and they abused our freshmen CBS in Jordan and Brooks.  We still held them to 21 points.   

Also, these issues are not just limited to us.  Bama has been giving up tons of yards and points.  Okie lite who everyone sucks off here recently gave up 43 and blew a double digit 2nd half lead.  Baylor looks like shit after winning the conference last year.  Kansas all of the sudden looks beatable again.  Let’s let these games play out.  This is a good conference with good coaches.  If PK can get some impact edge players and some CBs that fit his system, we should be even better.  With all that said, if we can get someone like Muschamp or Odom… you make that switch immediately.  At the same time, not sure I would just fire PK given our improvement and roll the dice on another DC that may not be proven.  This team can make a run next year and it’s probably easier to find a few guys in the transfer portal to build on our improvement than to change schemes and start from scratch.  

Pay Dan Quinn whatever he wants!

4 hours ago, sidis said:

It's because we have 7 TDs allowed and now 5 INTs. You aren't going to be efficient when you have as many INTs as TDs while gaining the 4th worst mark in college football on every attempt. 

So who is an actual viable candidate that could be a replacement? It's easy to pick, but put someone up you'd rather have so we can see how they hold up to scrutiny.

I would have thought guys like Odom and Mason would be great, but they too are really struggling, worse than us.

Put someone up now and let's so how they fair the 2nd half of the season.

Such a bunch of shit in pass coverage... Not seeing any improvement in this area!!!  

Not sure why Texas doesn't change their defensive alignments more often and blitz  players that are closer to the line of scrimmage ??

Our blitzes take too long to get to the QB.

Fuck !!!

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Such a bunch of shit in pass coverage... Not seeing any improvement in this area!!!  

Not sure why Texas doesn't change their defensive alignments more often and blitz  players that are closer to the line of scrimmage ??

Our blitzes take too long to get to the QB.

Fuck !!!

ISU was the worst defense I have seen Texas play this year. That said it was still only 21 pts. I have been skeptical of this secondary all year. Offenses are improving going forward and I have a feeling Texas will need to put up 40-50 type numbers in couple of these remaining games to win, unless something dramatic changes. TCU WRs are going to be a huge issue. 

Edited by Codaxx

ISU was the worst defense I have seen Texas play this year. That said it was still only 21 pts. I have been skeptical of this secondary all year. Offenses are improving going forward and I have a feeling Texas will need to put up 40-50 type numbers in couple of these remaining games to win, unless something dramatic changes. TCU WRs are going to be a huge issue. 

Absolutely. GP and PK have their work cut out for them when game planning for TCU. They seem like a matchup nightmare for us this year. OSU seems easier to game plan, but the players will just have to execute better than this game.

Something that i’ve wondered the last two days is how much of the soft coverage (minus the safety/freshman DB blown coverage long TD) by PK is predicated on the idea that our offense is elite but our defensive skill players are not? If we score 35 against ISU, the 21 looks much better. If we force the opponent to make lots of small plays we have a better chance of stopping them in the long run, keeping them to just three points, or turning them over. Then, we just rely on our offense to score more.

Is that me justifying things, a losers mentality, or a sign that PK doesn’t have the dudes on defense that he feels can just dominate other teams (a la Georgia).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just watched the game again... Man we played terrible.
Underneath coverages constantly biting on shorter flat routes on 3rd and long is a fuckin' crime.  Who in the hell is coaching route recognition concepts and situational down and distance awareness for these assholes??
Our guys in zone coverage play like middle school kids -- just fucking covering air.

This is something i’m concerned about. It seems entirely too easy for qbs to make our linebackers/secondary players go the wrong way, be it a run fake or eye control.

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just watched the game again... Man we played terrible.

Underneath coverages constantly biting on shorter flat routes on 3rd and long is a fuckin' crime.  Who in the hell is coaching route recognition concepts and situational down and distance awareness for these assholes??

Our guys in zone coverage play like middle school kids -- just fucking covering air.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Absolutely. GP and PK have their work cut out for them when game planning for TCU. They seem like a matchup nightmare for us this year. OSU seems easier to game plan, but the players will just have to execute better than this game.

Something that i’ve wondered the last two days is how much of the soft coverage (minus the safety/freshman DB blown coverage long TD) by PK is predicated on the idea that our offense is elite but our defensive skill players are not? If we score 35 against ISU, the 21 looks much better. If we force the opponent to make lots of small plays we have a better chance of stopping them in the long run, keeping them to just three points, or turning them over. Then, we just rely on our offense to score more.

Is that me justifying things, a losers mentality, or a sign that PK doesn’t have the dudes on defense that he feels can just dominate other teams (a la Georgia).

The notion that zone coverage= soft coverage is not true. We play pretty aggressive coverage with our CB’s and our LB’s/safeties continually let us down, and asking them to play man isn’t the answer.

We suck at zone coverage period. None of our linebackers can cover in space. It’s not soft coverage, it’s bad coverage.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just watched the game again... Man we played terrible.

This is was the real issue on Saturday. I think the defense is always going be dancing on the edge of a knife. I think they lack the ability to lock up WRs. You can survive most games with that, if you do not give up big plays. You get undisciplined vs a better offense and the whole thing unwinds, it almost did on Saturday. I believe Cook was involved on the both big plays. (Cook/Jordan and I think Cook/Jamison on the dropped pass (I didnt see clear video, so I may be off on that)

• Like 2

I think my biggest defense-related concern actually pertains to next year and the year after. We just haven't recruited (out of high school or the portal) the same level of player on defense as we have on offense. From the 21-22 recruiting classes (inclusive of underclassman transfers like Ewers), we have 7 offensive players ranked .97 or better on the composite coming out of high school. Only 4 on defense. Among those recruits, the offensive average is .9831, whereas the defensive average is .9557.  If you extend that out to 2023 (as of now), the gap widens to 11 vs. 6. It's particularly glaring at off-ball linebacker, where we don't have a single 21-23 recruit in the .90s.  DT isn't quite as bad but still not great.  Whether PK is the right coach or not (seems like not), we will absolutely need to either hit on lower ranked prospects or use the portal for a talent infusion at those positions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is was the real issue on Saturday. I think the defense is always going be dancing on the edge of a knife. I think they lack the ability to lock up WRs. You can survive most games with that, if you do not give up big plays. You get undisciplined vs a better offense and the whole thing unwinds, it almost did on Saturday. I believe Cook was involved on the both big plays. (Cook/Jordan and I think Cook/Jamison on the dropped pass (I didnt see clear video, so I may be off on that)

Our LBs and DBs need to run drill after drill in fuckin coverages during practices... and live in the film room Mon thru Thursday morning this week.

Fuck

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Our LBs and DBs need to run drill after drill in fuckin coverages during practices... and live in the film room Mon thru Thursday morning this week.

Fuck

They are particularly poor at pattern recognition. They generally cover a spot in zone and fail to find the WR 

• Like 1

Yeah, Cook/Jordan i’m pretty sure. I felt bad for Jordan there, because the safety just completely vacated almost the exact spot the ball was thrown to. He bit hard on the run fake. Tough spot for a freshman.

Seems like a simple fix, “Cook, trust your guys up front to stop the run.” I hope that gets drilled this week by the secondary coaches.

7 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

So it’s not a scheme thing, it’s a dudes and secondary coaching thing?

I’m not a coach, but my eyes tell me our LB’s suck in pass coverage, getting depth in their drops, reading the eyes of the QB and route recognition. 

Maybe there’s a way to scheme around that or coach it better, I don’t know. But I do know it’s been an issue for 3 or 4 years now. As good as Overshown is in certain aspects of the game, we will upgrade at LB in pass defense next year without him being out there. It’s that bad. Ford is better but he’s still below average. DTD and Gbenda are Overshown level pass defenders.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for this goes to @Hookem2147 

Few team notes from IT:

We hate discussing injuries but that’s obviously an important theme after Saturday’s game, particularly in the secondary. Both starting cornerback Ryan Watts and starting safety Jerrin Thompson had issues Steve Sarkisian described as stinger-related after the game. They might not have been stingers because the pain didn’t dissipate like it normally does with a stinger, but like a stinger, these aren’t viewed as serious injuries. They’ll receive treatment this week and should be good to go on Saturday. Of course we’ll keep monitoring both throughout the week.

Thompson had his worst game of they year and you can bet the shoulder issue had something to do with it, but the secondary was just off in general. 

Two other big stories from the secondary surrounded the availability of starting safety Anthony Cook and backup cornerback Jamier Johnson. Our sources believe Cook was benched for an assignment bust before returning to the game to force the game deciding turnover on a pretty vicious hit. That reminded me of asking a source last spring if Cook would hold up against the run at the position. We were told “he has heart” and I think the forced fumble coming downhill 100 miles per hour illustrated that. 

Johnson is a bit more of a mystery. We hear he’s healthy. If that’s the case, then playing Austin Jordan would appear to be a coaching decision. 

Sark told the team many of the things he stated after the game and will probably reiterate today during his press conference. He was proud of their effort and proud of their ability to close that game out. “That wouldn’t have happened last year.” He also mentioned it’s hard to come back the next week after an emotional game. The start to Iowa State was reminiscent of the start to the UTSA game after playing Alabama. 

Someone will probably say, yeah, but OU sucks. Truer words…but they didn’t prepare or get up for that game like OU sucks.

Sources freely admitted the defense has a lot to clean up, however they view the issues as “simple fixes.” “That was the worst communication has been all year.” Sources also viewed the issues more with player execution than game plan. I pushed back on that a little and asked if some opponents receive more unique attention and custom game plans than others and the source said that isn’t the case. 

Hopefully after this Saturday against a dangerous Oklahoma State some fans find that even harder to believe.

RAT POISON...

Sources freely admitted the defense has a lot to clean up, however they view the issues as “simple fixes.” “That was the worst communication has been all year.” Sources also viewed the issues more with player execution than game plan. I pushed back on that a little and asked if some opponents receive more unique attention and custom game plans than others and the source said that isn’t the case. 

• Like 1

The notion that zone coverage= soft coverage is not true. We play pretty aggressive coverage with our CB’s and our LB’s/safeties continually let us down, and asking them to play man isn’t the answer.
We suck at zone coverage period. None of our linebackers can cover in space. It’s not soft coverage, it’s bad coverage.

That’s going to happen when you just back peddle to your area and stand flat footed until “something” happens.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Coach Bryan Erwin wants less 5 man rush, and more 3 man rush on 3rd and long.  Also says UT needs to be less predictable -- mix it up more.  Blames lack of a pass rush for a lot of the problems for not stopping 3rd downs.  

I still think it is more of a team issue. A pass rush would certainly help, but the secondary isnt make the QB hold the ball either (did ISU do much beside stare Hutchinson down and throw it). Secondary isnt helping the pass rush and the pass rush isnt helping the secondary. I certainly wouldnt mind some drop 3 on these long 3rd downs. If you are not getting home with the rush, might as well drop everyone. I do like the point of mixing it up. Couple times a game bring 6 or drop 8. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm not as smart as a lot of you when it comes to defense.

Even when I played football, I was on the OL and know dick about coverages. My CTE has prevented the retention of blocking techniques as well.

But I do know that on ISU's last drive, their best player constantly got open... WIDE open..... on 3rd / 4th down.

That can't happen.

I don't know which one of you chucklefucks bought a bucket of KFC to force that drop and the fumble shortly after.

I'm just thankful you did.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Two of ISU's three TDs came when Dorsey, Bush, and Taafe were on the field together, i.e. we were resting our starters. Texas had a lot of injuries before and during the game which meant they had to play the younger guys. They were torched. Jordan and Brooks just aren't ready. Taafe is a hell of a recruiter, he's not a good safety at this point.

The team needs more depth in the back 7 and some ends that can generate pressure with 3 and 4 down looks.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fuck

Re-watching the Iowa St game now, on 3rd down we seemed to always be in zone coverage, they were flooding one side and always hitting one of those guys for 1st downs. They did a good job of game planning our 3rd down defense.

The biggest difference between the offense and defense is happening on Sunday and Monday. People can say what they want about Sark, but he does a great job scouting. He usually comes out and hammers a defense, based on where he sees a weakness. I just dont see the same game prep from the defensive staff. Feels like the defense comes into game and is surprised by when the opposing offense does what they did the last 4 games. Its very odd, because PK came as a guy that was known for varying his schemes from game to game. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The biggest difference between the offense and defense is happening on Sunday and Monday. People can say what they want about Sark, but he does a great job scouting. He usually comes out and hammers a defense, based on where he sees a weakness. I just dont see the same game prep from the defensive staff. Feels like the defense comes into game and is surprised by when the opposing offense does what they did the last 4 games. Its very odd, because PK came as a guy that was known for varying his schemes from game to game. 

Wait, only Sarkisian is allowed to gameplan to an opponent's weakness?

• Haha 1

Well how creative can you really get with no ability to get edge pressure, and with your LB and Safeties lacking any type of natural instinct/ability to locate/identify pass-catchers and or patterns?

We are playing immensely better defense this year, although it has been frustrating at times. If we can do the following next year we might be great on defense:

• Legitimate edge rusher
  • LB that can identify pass and pattern match
  • Athletic safety that can identify pass and pattern match

If we can have one above-average to good player and two average players that fill the three (3) roles above this defense will be at another level. If we somehow were able to get a game changer at each, look out.

You think this is bad? This? This chicanery? He's done worse! That third down conversion....are you telling me a defender just happens to fall like that? No! He orchestrated it! PK! He defecated through a gameplan! And i saved him, and i shouldn't have, i took him into my own coaching staff! What was i thinking? He'll never change, he'll never change! Ever since he was a grad assistant, couldn't keep his hands out of the individual drills. But not our PK, not our precious PK! Coaching them blind! And he gets to be a DC! What a sick joke! I should have stopped him when I had the chance! And you....you have to stop him!

11 minutes ago, Fico said:

Well how creative can you really get with no ability to get edge pressure, and with your LB and Safeties lacking any type of natural instinct/ability to locate/identify pass-catchers and or patterns?

We are playing immensely better defense this year, although it has been frustrating at times. If we can do the following next year we might be great on defense:

• Legitimate edge rusher
  • LB that can identify pass and pattern match
  • Athletic safety that can identify pass and pattern match

If we can have one above-average to good player and two average players that fill the three (3) roles above this defense will be at another level. If we somehow were able to get a game changer at each, look out.

You've forgotten more football than I ever knew, but how do you not identify corner play as a position needing improvement?

And in a followup (for anyone on the dais) -- no way am I going back to watch that game, how did ISU's 8 get so freakin' loose on the deep pass where he dropped the ball?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You've forgotten more football than I ever knew, but how do you not identify corner play as a position needing improvement?

And in a followup (for anyone on the dais) -- no way am I going back to watch that game, how did ISU's 8 get so freakin' loose on the deep pass where he dropped the ball?

Because we have been good enough at corner this year, and I think we have some solid young players. We should be recruiting bodies for sure, but I don't think CB holds a candle in importance relative to finding some personnel fix to the issues I listed above.

• Hook 'Em 2

before the season I heard through some contacts that Patterson was saying our DB's on campus are avg to below average.  the injuries didn't help on Saturday.

They obviously made a decision to go with death by 1000 cuts, hope the O doesn't go dormant during games and maybe we can create some QB pressure other ways.

ISU and Bama both had some bad drops which helped tremendously.  

I've been all in on the PK isn't the answer train, but this was known by the staff since the beginning of the year.  The O needs to pick it the fuck up. They need to score 35+ a game because we are going to give up 3rd and short/medium all year against any O with a pulse.  Hopefully some of last game was just ISU's D being pretty salty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Coverage bust between Barron and Cook, seemingly on Barron.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?