Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

I’m done with PK or the DB staff, and if Sark doesn’t fire them I’m done with him too. These players are not well coached. It’s just obvious. Every single game, receivers run free in the secondary for miles. It’s terrible terrible coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is the statistic I want to see for the Texas defense and all of college football:

Defensive player average distance from a receiver when a reception is made. 

I believe the Texas defense would be below 100 on the nation at on average 3.5 yards  

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

b00ebb5c7c15237b6b4ecebdda30114f.jpg

Pass rush is bad, but it is an odd game to say that. The interior pass rush is only reason KSU didn’t score 40+. Those fat bastards did a great job pushing the pocket. The  pass defense was just wretched. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It’s plain as day that PK is the weakest link on this team. Bend don’t break is the dumbest strategy ever, especially in the Big 12.

PLEASE can we just hire a DC who plays a 4 man front and man to man defense. We might be able to find a sharp young coach from a local AISD middle school who has heard of such a thing. Because clearly we can’t find one in the college ranks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m done with PK or the DB staff, and if Sark doesn’t fire them I’m done with him too. These players are not well coached. It’s just obvious. Every single game, receivers run free in the secondary for miles. It’s terrible terrible coaching. 

I am not a huge PK fan, but I didn’t love the secondary hires when Sark originally made them and the like them less today 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What's funny to me is all the shit the D gets when if our O could just put it all together for 4 quarters nobody could hang with us.   Who on this defense is playing in the NFL?  We flat out don't have an elite playmaker. Period.  Compare that to the NFL talent on O.  I mean how much better would this D look with just Tyree Wilson off the edge.  This team is still trying to figure it out but if our elite O (really tough turnovers by Worthy and RJ + way too many pre-snap penalties and overall inconsistency) could actually put a complete game together all the D needs to do is be fucking average and we win by double digits every game.   And I think the O is going to do it next week too.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If you ignore everything before the last play, then sure, defense won the game.

468 yards, 329 yards passing, and over 9 yards per pass attempt to Adrian fucking Martinez is ass.  The offense had its typical second half hibernation as we do under Sark, which obviously is a problem, but the defense is the clear weak link on this team.  Watching our LBs play in coverage is like Mystery Science Theater 3000 level absurd.  They will move in absolutely any direction except toward a receiver actually coming into their area.  

Because all the LBs in Big 12 shut down Deuce Vaughn. Raise your hand if you thought Jaylan Ford would be the likely Big 12 DPOY in September. As far as the offense goes, maybe we should stop turning the ball over and committing pre-snap penalties that make it much more difficult to keep the offense on the field. You might think Martinez is ass, but he made a lot of plays with Texas defenders draped all over him in the backfield. Sometimes their guys are just as good or better than ours. Not to mention the multiple wounded duck prayers that all their receivers miraculously caught.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We do run a 4 man front and our man to man defense blows. So….

I mean 4 actual defensive linemen. Guys who put their hands on the ground before the snap.

PK’s hybrid DE/LB position (buck?) requires a Joseph Ossai-level talent to work. Unfortunately we don’t have that. 

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If you ignore everything before the last play, then sure, defense won the game.

468 yards, 329 yards passing, and over 9 yards per pass attempt to Adrian fucking Martinez is ass.  The offense had its typical second half hibernation as we do under Sark, which obviously is a problem, but the defense is the clear weak link on this team.  Watching our LBs play in coverage is like Mystery Science Theater 3000 level absurd.  They will move in absolutely any direction except toward a receiver actually coming into their area.  

If you told me Texas  forced KSU to be one dimensional and rely on Adrian Martinez’s arm, I would have bet on a blow out. Offense scored 3.1 pts per drive and the defense allowed 2.5 per drive (not including the last meaningless drives on each half) 

Edited by Codaxx

36 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

As bad as the defense was under Vance, it was better than the shit PK trots out wasn’t it?

Nope.

It's clear as day that the whoever the defensive passing game coordinator is not getting the job done this year. Most of us ignored it last year because we gave up 100 yard rushers every week. 

We were bad against the pass last year, and it has arguably gotten worse this year. Joseph can recruit, but it probably isn't worth these guys looking lost on Saturdays.

Maybe Kerry Coombs can be had?

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Pass rush is bad, but it is an odd game to say that. The interior pass rush is only reason KSU didn’t score 40+. Those fat bastards did a great job pushing the pocket. The  pass defense was just wretched. 

They may not have been that effective (holding, please), but by God the big boys were doing work yesterday.  When Sweatt couldn't grab that fumble out of bounds, you could tell he was so exhausted and so crushed, but he got back up and did it again along with the rest of his big-eater brethren.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

IIRC, Gideon was coached by Akina and Akina never was a fan or very good teacher of zone defense, as good as he was at coaching coverage DBs.  Is that correct?

I also recall one of the reasons Akina didn't like zone was he didn't like our LB play/schemes and was feuding for a while with the LB coach?

So perhaps Gideon is "like father like son"?

27 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Nope.

It's clear as day that the whoever the defensive passing game coordinator is not getting the job done this year. Most of us ignored it last year because we gave up 100 yard rushers every week. 

We were bad against the pass last year, and it has arguably gotten worse this year. Joseph can recruit, but it probably isn't worth these guys looking lost on Saturdays.

Maybe Kerry Coombs can be had?

It is just terrible. KSU offense has struggled vs any defense that has shut down the run. 2 teams held KSU to under 5 yards a carry coming into this game and KSU scored 10 pts in each of those games. Texas made Adrian Martinez look like an All Conference passer  

Throwing up fucking arm punts and their guys catch it with no one even close to them. And we wonder why our guys can barely locate the ball in the air when in man coverage.

Ideally, that's something you want your coaches to be able to address and teach, but many of these fucking guys get so much training in the offseason and have had training for years before even coming to Texas. How the fuck can you not take advantage of the ball being thrown up for grabs?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Throwing up fucking arm punts and their guys catch it with no one even close to them. And we wonder why our guys can barely locate the ball in the air when in man coverage.

Ideally, that's something you want your coaches to be able to address and teach, but many of these fucking guys get so much training in the offseason and have had training for years before even coming to Texas. How the fuck can you not take advantage of the ball being thrown up for grabs?

I really think this may be the core problem. We have two guys that can cover in Watts and Jamison (strange forget your man play notwithstanding). No one else appears to be capable at all, particularly at linebacker. Also, we are having to play a walk on at safety. So, yeah. We have a severe lack of talent and depth on defense. 

Edited by Dahobbs

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I really think this may be the core problem. We have two guys that can cover in Watts and Jamison (strange forget your man play notwithstanding). No one else appears to be capable at all, particularly at linebacker. Also, we are having to play a walk on at safety. So, yeah. We have a severe lack of talent and depth on defense. 

I think it beyond a talent thing. There were just too many wide open receivers in this game. Back 7 has a hard time locating WRs coming into their zone. They generally stare at the QB and cover grass. 

• Rage+1 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?