Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

It’s the dropping our ends into coverage talk that’s concerning to me. How do we sell an elite pass rushing guy in dropping back into coverage. PK should let that go, I always thought that was something he did schematically to manufacture confusion and pressure bc he couldn’t get the types of players that could do it straight up

5 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It’s the dropping our ends into coverage talk that’s concerning to me. How do we sell an elite pass rushing guy in dropping back into coverage. PK should let that go, I always thought that was something he did schematically to manufacture confusion and pressure bc he couldn’t get the types of players that could do it straight up

It’s been a bitch for the Steelers to develop anyone to rush the passer running similar looks 

7 hours ago, Codaxx said:

That’s the one reason I think this is more of a package, than a shift in strategy on the front. Kind of odd to put your 317 pound DT/DE at Buck (boundary) and not Jack, if this will be a base defense. Buck tends to drop more than Jack in PK’s defense and is the smaller more athletic edge player. Seems this is a move acknowledging that the coaches are not comfortable with the young Bucks ability to hold up vs the run against high end OLs.  Instead of moving Sorrel to Buck and Collins to Jack, it’s easier to just have 1 guy learn a new position for a heavy package. Pretty sure Texas did this with Ojomo last year.  Bama is also game 2, so you know the coaches are already doing some prep for that game 

I don’t think it’s about Bama KSU but rather TCU type offenses

It's hard to make sense of anything in practice reports.

We played end with both Ojomo and Broughton quite a bit last year. Sorrell usually would sub out, and we'd give a 3-4 look. 

I want to say that sometimes Sorrell replaced Ovie and we'd give more of a currently-trending (at least in college) "heavy" 4-3 look.  "Heavy" here referring to the alignment of a DE (very tight, nearly heads up over the tackle) moreso than his size.

Sorrell and Sweat were usually the DEs in stack.

I went back and watched the last few (3+) minutes of the Bama game. Going up by one with a minute and a half left looked like a win... until the D let Bama go 60-odd yards in that time, with 40+ on just two explosive (20+ yards) plays, the second of which was a clear sac... oh, wait, no... blitzer whiffed (mostly) the tackle, and the QB ran for 20+ pretty much into the area the blitzer vacated.  

We damn well better see an improvement in stops when necessary... First two years haven't been all that good for 3rd and 4th down D. Third time's the charm? 

31 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

the second of which was a clear sac... oh, wait, no... blitzer whiffed (mostly) the tackle, and the QB ran for 20+ pretty much into the area the blitzer vacated.  

in fairness, the guy responsible for that zone was so blatantly held by the right tackle to spring the qb, that it should have been a -10 play regardless.  but you are 100% right about everything you said.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FWIW

I didn't see that as the main issue. The blitzer was not held - I don't think he was even touched. He just flat failed to make the play.  Whatever, the result was a 25-yard turnaround... 20 yard run instead of 6-7 yard loss. And got the clock stopped, where the sack would've likely forced Bama to use their last timeout, and taken them out of FG range. 

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I didn't see that as the main issue. The blitzer was not held - I don't think he was even touched. He just flat failed to make the play.  Whatever, the result was a 25-yard turnaround... 20 yard run instead of 6-7 yard loss. And got the clock stopped, where the sack would've likely forced Bama to use their last timeout, and taken them out of FG range. 

Sometimes you dial up the perfect call and it just doesn't work. We had an untouched blitzer miss a sack and then a blatant hold help spring the QB for a 20-yard run to set up the game winning field goal.

Hard for me to put that final drive on the coaches (not saying you are, but I see that sentiment frequently). Players make plays and a heisman trophy winner pulled a rabbit out of his hat. It happens.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

in fairness, the guy responsible for that zone was so blatantly held by the right tackle to spring the qb, that it should have been a -10 play regardless.  but you are 100% right about everything you said.

Considering the blatant, but uncalled, face mask earlier, as well as the excruciating non-sack call, I'm not all that concerned about what didn't get a zebra flag. Again, what the refs did or did not do doesn't mean much here - it's the fact of dialing up a great play, only to have the player not make a gimme tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Considering the blatant, but uncalled, face mask earlier, as well as the excruciating non-sack call, I'm not all that concerned about what didn't get a zebra flag. Again, what the refs did or did not do doesn't mean much here - it's the fact of dialing up a great play, only to have the player not make a gimme tackle. 

Definitely feel better about stopping a late drive vs current QBs at Bama, compared to rooting for Texas to stop Bryce Young. 

There's an outpouring of angst in various threads, pointing out the D being in the 90+ percentile of failure to stop others on 3rd and 4th downs and getting pressure on offenses, but not putting them on the ground.

Unless we claim to be absolutely talentless, that's on the coaches. That includes not just the DC and his assistants, but on the HC as well. He absolutely has to ride herd on the D as well as the O (and on special teams, too), but he already IS the OC, himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

now i'm just getting angry thinking about all that shit but the guy that got held was schematically responsible for the zone vacated by the cb.

ultimately, the biggest key was the whiff.  i do feel like we had have set a record last year with whiffed cornerback blitzes in which we got there but didn't get the result.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The DBs have whiffed too often the past two years at or behind the LOS. I’m not sure if they’re thinking killshot or not, but they don’t have much backing them up so they need to understand the objective. Tackle or disrupt rather than highlight reel.

Nicely put. Forget about highlight reels, tackle that fucker and the highlights take care of themselves.

There's an outpouring of angst in various threads, pointing out the D being in the 90+ percentile of failure to stop others on 3rd and 4th downs and getting pressure on offenses, but not putting them on the ground.
Unless we claim to be absolutely talentless, that's on the coaches. That includes not just the DC and his assistants, but on the HC as well. He absolutely has to ride herd on the D as well as the O (and on special teams, too), but he already IS the OC, himself. 

Coaching got better as the year progressed and the linebackers started filling their zones. Cant remember a Texas team where the LBs consistently disrupted coverage, outside of an occasional athletic burst.

BOB coaching Bama’s offense really helped us last year. It was like they just showed up without a gameplan. Early in the season we were wide open in the middle. It was taking candy from a baby when they needed it on the last drive.

PK's charges were ready to go today.  Good on him and his staff.

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, a fairly dominating performance defensively. 

If Texas just plays 1s and 2s they probably hold Rice under 100 yards total. 

it absolutely would have been a shutout if Sark didn't give them a FG.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

PK's charges were ready to go today.  Good on him and his staff.

it absolutely would have been a shutout if Sark didn't give them a FG.

Sarkisian didn’t throw an ankle-level pass to Sanders when he’d easily have converted the fourth down with even an average pass. 

The defense looked like they knew what they were doing and did it well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been a nattering nabob of negativity on the offensive threads this morning, so I’ll give PK and his players their props, because they absolutely deserved it yesterday. They look like they’ve taken the same quantum leap from year 2 to 3 that they did from the disaster in year 1 to last year. They should keep us in every game this year, especially in conference. The youth movement is very exciting. 

Next week will be a real test to see how we do with a DT QB who runs like a RB when they spread us out in an empty set. I’m expecting a patient, ball control offense that tries to wear us out. I was hoping for a potent offense to force them out of that strategy, but after yesterday . . .

Edited by Duane Moore

Out of desperation two years ago, Collins needed to be playing end because we were getting gashed by simple off tackle plays and obliterated by counters. Ovie was a non factor on almost every play. Its why I thought PK was developmentally challenged.

But if Collins cant play inside, he cant play.
Speaking of the now swamp kitty Ovie, Ethan Burke managed to equal his total sacks for 2022 in his first game as a starter. Does that mean Burke is going to be a superstar? I don't know about that, but we now know why there werent a lot of tears shed when Ovie hopped in the motherfucker.

9 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Sarkisian didn’t throw an ankle-level pass to Sanders when he’d easily have converted the fourth down with even an average pass. 

The defense looked like they knew what they were doing and did it well. 

Sarkisian was playing QB?  Is that legal?

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Sorry.  Misread.  That said,  I love having a good defense again.  When rice was in 3rd and long,  I felt confident.   Been  a  while 

Heck, yeah. Very few missed tackles and a lot of people wanting to be part of them. Good stuff, even for one game against an outmanned team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

With 4 receivers on the field side (RB being the 4th), Gbenda would be responsible for #4 (the RB) or the first crosser.  He should take about 2 delay steps toward the RB release while checking the receivers that side for anyone crossing.

This is too aggressive on the snap and bad eyes on his part.  He's got 4 other defenders to help if the QB goes quick to a flare, there's no urgency to get there.  It should look more like shuffle, shuffle...rollover back to his own side matching the crosser.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?