Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Did Jahdae play many downs yesterday??

Bobby was frustrated on the OTF live watch during the 1st qtr -- he said that the Texas defensive plan added a LB, and took the nickel off the field.

Bobby was frustrated that Texas did not have one of their best defenders on the field, but hell the defense certainly shut baylor's putrid offense down.

Did Jahdae play many downs yesterday??
Bobby was frustrated on the OTF live watch during the 1st qtr -- he said that the Texas defensive plan added a LB, and took the nickel off the field.
Bobby was frustrated that Texas did not have one of their best defenders on the field, but hell the defense certainly shut baylor's putrid offense down.

They were going to take that outside zone run play off the table

I didn’t like seeing so much taafe so early…not when Kitan or Lewis could have been out there

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Anyone have numbers on how guys saw the field last night on defense? pK was doing heavy heavy rotations after the 1st quarter.  

This is the deepest defense we’ve had since at least 2009 I think. The secondary is a liability imo - that’s the only weakness. 

Guys I saw the first 3 quarters (before we emptied the bench all the way)

DL- Carter, Murphy, Sweat, Broughton, Bledsoe, Bryant, Collins

Edge- Burke, Tapp, Finkley, Sorrell

LB- Ford, Bush, Gbenda, Hill, Blackwell

CB- Holmes, Muhammad, Watts, Brooks

NB- Barron and Guilbeau

Safety- Williams, Taaffe, Crawford, Catalon, Thompson

On the final drive of the 4th quarter I believe we also mixed in Austin Jordan, Billy Walton and Lefau

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Love the development at linebacker.  Choate/PK have turned a couple 3 stars in Ford and Gbenda into absolute studs.

Davis does the same with the d-line.

The LB play yesterday really jumped off the screen. Every time Baylor managed to run beyond the LOS they got absolutely skull fucked by Gbenda or (sometimes AND) Ford and limited to 1-3 yards. It feels like forever since we had LB play like this. 

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Anyone have numbers on how guys saw the field last night on defense? pK was doing heavy heavy rotations after the 1st quarter.  

The substitution patterns drove me crazy last year. I think it was against Tech at one point we needed a stop on 4th and 2 and brought Blackwell in. It's paid off though. There's not much drop off from the starters this year. And time of possession is essentially meaningless. Wyoming held the ball for 40 minutes and I don't think anyone on defense played more than 45 snaps. No one's going to wear this defense out.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Gbenda had some really great plays and looks like a beast.   I still think the LBs have a ways to go in coverage in the middle but if Ford keeps being a ball hawk maybe the others can learn.

Completely different than whatever week when Gbenda looked like he should be replaced. He looked like he knew the play before it happened this week. So much faster read and react. He looked like he's playing the position, instead of occupying the position. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I noticed at least of couple of times that our front 7 recognized and shit all over the screen game.  That's some disciplined defense. I've been watching UT football since the mid 90's and I don't ever remember having a defense that could ever sniff out a screen.  Anyway, hat's off.  

I saw that too. Burke especially. He seemed to throw it into reverse on a dime when he had “clear shot” at the QB since the line all released. Very disciplined. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I noticed at least of couple of times that our front 7 recognized and shit all over the screen game.  That's some disciplined defense. I've been watching UT football since the mid 90's and I don't ever remember having a defense that could ever sniff out a screen.  Anyway, hat's off.  

Absolutely…one play in particular, Ant Hill abandoned whatever he was doing on the right side at exactly the right time, took a direct 45 degree angle to the RB who just caught the screen and obliterated him. Good stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, hornian said:

I saw that too. Burke especially. He seemed to throw it into reverse on a dime when he had “clear shot” at the QB since the line all released. Very disciplined. 

Burke is also really good at reading those quick throws to the perimeter and tracking the ball with his hands.  He just barely missed a few deflections.  I think QB's misjudge his wingspan.  As he continues to grow and get experience I think we'll see a lot of deflections and maybe the occasional INT.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I can understand Bobby's frustration. Your weakest at safety and Barron is one of the best players on the team, how does he not play safety when we are playing or 3-4 base?

Agree with both....crazy to take your top 2-3 players on defense completely off the field for Taeffe. 

4 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I’m probably most amazed that I’m not ready to rip my tv off the wall in frustration with Bush is playing. He’s not our best, but he’s much less of a liability than last season.

Jett is now being used better positionally.  In prior seasons he was being asked to play and do things that just didn't match his skillset.  

• Hook 'Em 3

The only consistent weakness I see on this defense is athleticism when Watts is paired with Thompson or Taaffe. Those are the duos that we've seen Wyoming and Baylor go after with quick outs and deep shots, respectively.  

But the fact that we have to get that specific to name a weakness and that's it's easily fixable (managing the rotation) is great. Two years ago it was 'the biggest weakness of many is when they run the ball outside in either direction.' Great development work.

The rotation was pretty tight for Alabama IIRC. So this really seems like the staff trusts almost every scholarship player to play but also knows the margin for error each week. Great job all around by the defensive staff. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/24/2023 at 6:30 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

They were going to take that outside zone run play off the table

I didn’t like seeing so much taafe so early…not when Kitan or Lewis could have been out there

ABsolutely. And I can't wait to see what this defense is capable of once we unleash this Lewis character.

Agree with both....crazy to take your top 2-3 players on defense completely off the field for Taeffe. 

You know Barron never comes off for Taafe right?

Barron only comes off for the 3rd LB in heavy offensive sets. Maybe not always heavy sets but 3 LB sets.

And if you think Catalon is one of our better players, then we’ll that preconceived bias.

But absolutely Barron needs to be on the field. And people will shit all over themselves about this and that but as it stands now, offenses can dictate whether he’s on the field.

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Barron only comes off for the 3rd LB in heavy offensive sets. Maybe not always heavy sets but 3 LB sets.

And if you think Catalon is one of our better players, then we’ll that preconceived bias.

But absolutely Barron needs to be on the field. And people will shit all over themselves about this and that but as it stands now, offenses can dictate whether he’s on the field.

If offenses want to dictate that Barron is off the field by being shitty at passing, I'm cool with it

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The scenario Bobby was talking about and finding ways to keep Baaron on the field was in the set you're talking about.....

They took him off the field and we brought in an extra linebacker but they also brought in Taaffe. The talk was bobby and rod saying to get Barron back at that safety position instead of Taaffe. 

I think Taaffe is pretty good at safety in the red zone but not with a long field. 

The only consistent weakness I see on this defense is athleticism when Watts is paired with Thompson or Taaffe. Those are the duos that we've seen Wyoming and Baylor go after with quick outs and deep shots, respectively.  
But the fact that we have to get that specific to name a weakness and that's it's easily fixable (managing the rotation) is great. Two years ago it was 'the biggest weakness of many is when they run the ball outside in either direction.' Great development work.
The rotation was pretty tight for Alabama IIRC. So this really seems like the staff trusts almost every scholarship player to play but also knows the margin for error each week. Great job all around by the defensive staff. 

This isn’t exactly right. Wyoming threw for 136. Their longest was 20 yards. You know the one right over Crawfords head. Their other deepest completion was Watts/Catalon. They did isolate Thompson twice for firsts. He also had a PBU on 3rd and the pick when attacking with quick outs.

Baylor took deep shots on Taafe/Watts and Catalon/Watts.

The staff has a plan, and they work it.

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?