Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

41 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m happy to eat big plate of crow on PK and this staff.  In the first year we all wanted him gone, but kudos to the ones in charge for keeping him around.  That show the D put on last night was spectacular!

Just pay him $6 mil/year to stick around!

It’s a testament to the continuity crowd who said changing DCs AGAIN was not going to do it. The players needed consistency in scheme and development. They got it

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Amazing how much better the defense looks when you swap Ovie, Ben Davis, Ray Thornton, etc. out for Barryn Sorrell, Ethan Burke, Kris Ross, Ant Hill, 

Even Jett Bush is showing much better this year. 

Ovie still jagging it up at his new school too.

It looked better last year after they had a year in the system. Yeah, upgrading players will usually help, but this improvement has been in the works for a while. 

Again, crow-eater right here.

In retrospect, regarding dislike of myself and many others for PK's results in the first two years, it appears that it's true that achievement requires not just physical talent, but mental talent. Who knew?  We had so many players doing stupid things that it was difficult to believe it was caused by anything other than shit coaching. 

It looks like the slowwww-brained guys are either gone, or have learned. And that's on the coaches, too.

Good Job kudos to PK and his staff. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What's crazy about this defense is we still have young edge players that are getting better.  It's pretty fun to play defense when your front 4 generates pressure with very little help.  Really hope we can pick up another DT in the portal or steal someone else's 5 star

Maybe they’re a few miles to the East? But they’ll need “coaching up” which we don’t do - HaHa aggy!

Hook’em!!!
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i thought millroe did well when he threw.  he just made the wrong decisions sometimes. 

The deep ball, yes. But he couldn’t read our defense. I thought he was very average whose stats were bolstered by mismatches on outside deep balls. His completions over the middle were busted plays where he broke contain long enough for a receiver to be wide open. 

None of that is meant to discount our great effort. I’ll just be really interested to see how Bama performs the rest of the way and if Milroe gets benched, temporarily or not. He’s got a great arm and obviously is an incredible athlete, but he needs a lot of work.  

5 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Maybe they’re a few miles to the East? But they’ll need “coaching up” which we don’t do - HaHa aggy!

Hook’em!!!

Damaged goods.  Lots of toxic guys over there.  I bet McKinley will be back in play.  Either way, watching even Broughton split a double team gives me hope that we'll be fine.  Remember, pk built his defenses with mainly 3 and low 4* players at uw.  If he's able to sit back and scheme and not stress about recruiting, I could see 10-15 more years of elite defenses.  

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

The deep ball, yes. But he couldn’t read our defense. I thought he was very average whose stats were bolstered by mismatches on outside deep balls. His completions over the middle were busted plays where he broke contain long enough for a receiver to be wide open. 

None of that is meant to discount our great effort. I’ll just be really interested to see how Bama performs the rest of the way and if Milroe gets benched, temporarily or not. He’s got a great arm and obviously is an incredible athlete, but he needs a lot of work.  

Frankly, this is pretty much why I expected a Texas win. Spy to control his run, DL to control the running game in general, make Milroe beat you in the air. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sark should be pointing to Venables and saying “not everyone is cut out to be a HC, but you can be a damn good DC and win titles doing that”

Except Choate has already been a successful head coach, leading Montana State to the FCS playoffs twice. He took this job to learn about big-time coaching/recruiting and you can bet he's soaked up a bunch. He'll be gone soon, but damn, he's doing a great job with the LBs.

Just now, Reese Bennett said:

Except Choate has already been a successful head coach, leading Montana State to the FCS playoffs twice. He took this job to learn about big-time coaching/recruiting and you can bet he's soaked up a bunch. He'll be gone soon, but damn, he's doing a great job with the LBs.

My comment was for PK, not Choate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah, stupid thread title. And posters need to stop claiming “we all” wanted him gone after year one. 

Yes.  But we are not a patient fan base.  I'm guilty but I'm old.  My seasons are running out.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Again, crow-eater right here.

In retrospect, regarding dislike of myself and many others for PK's results in the first two years, it appears that it's true that achievement requires not just physical talent, but mental talent. Who knew?  We had so many players doing stupid things that it was difficult to believe it was caused by anything other than shit coaching. 

It looks like the slowwww-brained guys are either gone, or have learned. And that's on the coaches, too.

Good Job kudos to PK and his staff. 

Slow brained isn't always about the people.  Sometimes it is.  It's also about not having to think and process and react as much because the formations, calls, alignments, etc have changed every year with a different DC.  Just having that consistency makes the same player look smarter and faster.

"A bad plan executed well is better than a good plan with shit execution."

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Slow brained isn't always about the people.  Sometimes it is.  It's also about not having to think and process and react as much because the formations, calls, alignments, etc have changed every year with a different DC.  Just having that consistency makes the same player look smarter and faster.

"A bad plan executed well is better than a good plan with shit execution."

If it isn't people, whose slow brain is it? 

And could we get an attribution for the quote?

8 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If it isn't people, whose slow brain is it? 

And could we get an attribution for the quote?

It’s the slow brain of even potentially very talented players who haven’t internalized the system. It’s not because they aren’t talented or capable, it’s that they hesitate and get beaten by slower or weaker players who don’t have that hesitation. It’s a systemic problem, not a player problem. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It’s the slow brain of even potentially very talented players who haven’t internalized the system. It’s not because they aren’t talented or capable, it’s that they hesitate and get beaten by slower or weaker players who don’t have that hesitation. It’s a systemic problem, not a player problem. 

Nah. Pretty sure we all have a  good idea about slow brain. Are "players" not "people"? The only way the problem is "systemic" is from shitty coaching, but we know we've got good coaches, right? 

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Nah. Pretty sure we all have a  good idea about slow brain. Are "players" not "people"? The only way the problem is "systemic" is from shitty coaching, but we know we've got good coaches, right? 

The problem is systemic when the system — coordinator — gets changed and the players don’t have enough game experience in the new system.

It doesn’t surprise me that someone who blamed the defense for the loss to Alabama last year has trouble wrapping his head around something like this. 

I mentioned it in another thread, but if Bama ran the ‘05-VY Offense, he’d be dangerous the rest of the season. Milroe needs the true RPO to be effective. He’s got a hell of an arm for the deep ball, but keep that as a surprise. Thank God they kept him in the pocket last night!

Hook’em!!!

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sark should be pointing to Venables and saying “not everyone is cut out to be a HC, but you can be a damn good DC and win titles doing that”

He might want to wait until he actually wins a title or something before saying something like this to anyone… Otherwise, he’s talking about himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It looked better last year after they had a year in the system. Yeah, upgrading players will usually help, but this improvement has been in the works for a while. 

Yep. There’s no reference to the key to the defensive unit - the interior of the defensive line. All of whom were here last year and 2021. Not only have they killed the run they’ve limited escapes straight up the field out of the QB. There’s a progression of maturity and maturity in the scheme. That half a step difference makes all the difference.

The recruiting has filled holes and is working to sustain, but there’s a damn good chance we win without Catalon and Hill.

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It doesn’t surprise me that someone who blamed the defense for the loss to Alabama last year has trouble wrapping his head around something like this. 

It doesn't surprise me that someone who wants to blame a loss on anyone other than the group that couldn't hold a lead for ninety seconds would claim that "slow brain" is due to the system and not to the coaches and players and their own personal cerebral processes.

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It doesn't surprise me that someone who wants to blame a loss on anyone other than the group that couldn't hold a lead for ninety seconds would claim that "slow brain" is due to the system and not to the coaches and players and their own personal cerebral processes.

Show me where I said it was due to the system. Quote me. Or STFU. 

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
I don’t think he wants the HC life. He’s never really pursued any midlevel openings and he has been a “fit” for several in the NW.
So guys want to just coach and not deal with the other bullshit….

On the other hand, if Choate is still here next fall it will be some sort of miracle…
Didn't people once say that about Venables? Or maybe it was just assumed..

PK and the defense put Saban in a lose-lose situation. If Saban were to swap out Milroe for a better passer, there’s a good chance we would have had double digit sacks. Milroe escaped a ton of pressures all night using his legs. 
Devil's advocate, a better passer doesn't hang on to the ball as long as Milroe. Watch the game again and see how many times Quinn lets the ball fly a millisecond before the pocket collapses. With Milroe if his first receiver was covered he either held on to the ball too long looking for a second read or scrambled...sometimes when he didn't really need to.

OC's watching the Bama tape will want their QB to get rid of the ball quickly..toss oob if necessary.

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Devil's advocate, a better passer doesn't hang on to the ball as long as Milroe. Watch the game again and see how many times Quinn lets the ball fly a millisecond before the pocket collapses. With Milroe if his first receiver was covered he either held on to the ball too long looking for a second read or scrambled...sometimes when he didn't really need to.

OC's watching the Bama tape will want their QB to get rid of the ball quickly..toss oob if necessary.

Alabama's OL played like the Texas OL in Sarkisian's 1st season. The pressure was immediate. Not to mention that the game plan was to account for Milroe with a spy. He did have 2 INTs, but he saved their OL's ass a lot as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, msucolt45 said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but if Bama ran the ‘05-VY Offense, he’d be dangerous the rest of the season. Milroe needs the true RPO to be effective. He’s got a hell of an arm for the deep ball, but keep that as a surprise. Thank God they kept him in the pocket last night!

Hook’em!!!

The fact that they don't use his running threat to consistently create conflict for defenders is insanity.

It not quite the same, but Saban deciding to go back to his old style of offense with Milroe feels a bit like Mack deciding to try to emulate Bama's offense with Garrett Gilbert and the offensive line we had in 2010.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?