Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

The scenario Bobby was talking about and finding ways to keep Baaron on the field was in the set you're talking about.....

They took him off the field and we brought in an extra linebacker but they also brought in Taaffe. The talk was bobby and rod saying to get Barron back at that safety position instead of Taaffe. 

I think Taaffe is pretty good at safety in the red zone but not with a long field. 

Gotcha.

The staff will have to deal with that situation. For me, it doesn’t matter the safety but Barron is one of your best so get him out there. You could even put him at corner. It’s not a knock on other guys it’s that Barron is that good.

There’s been so much rotation it’s hard to know what’s situational, but it’s apparent Barron comes out for the 3rd LB.

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This isn’t exactly right. Wyoming threw for 136. Their longest was 20 yards. You know the one right over Crawfords head. Their other deepest completion was Watts/Catalon. They did isolate Thompson twice for firsts. He also had a PBU on 3rd and the pick when attacking with quick outs.

Baylor took deep shots on Taafe/Watts and Catalon/Watts.

The staff has a plan, and they work it.

Right, neither of those teams were able to put together a complete game going after those duos. Wyoming and Baylor have major issues so it wasn't a big deal that they had some success, but I mention it as something that I expect teams to start incorporating into their game plans. Similar to how opposing defenses should be bringing a lot of different pressure looks vs our OL (though we seem to be improving). Basically, a good offense can probably count on having a couple successful plays doing that each game. 

I thought about including Catalon in the safeties list, but I don't really know what to think of him so far. He's stood out crashing down against the run a couple times, but it's TBD on his ability and range defending the pass. It's hard to evaluate DBs anyways since we really only see the times they're targeted. Watts/Thompson/Taaffe/maybe Catalon are just the ones being targeted most so far it seems. If anyone has advanced stats or grades I'd be interested in seeing if they support that or not. 

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Right, neither of those teams were able to put together a complete game going after those duos. Wyoming and Baylor have major issues so it wasn't a big deal that they had some success, but I mention it as something that I expect teams to start incorporating into their game plans. Similar to how opposing defenses should be bringing a lot of different pressure looks vs our OL (though we seem to be improving). Basically, a good offense can probably count on having a couple successful plays doing that each game. 

I thought about including Catalon in the safeties list, but I don't really know what to think of him so far. He's stood out crashing down against the run a couple times, but it's TBD on his ability and range defending the pass. It's hard to evaluate DBs anyways since we really only see the times they're targeted. Watts/Thompson/Taaffe/maybe Catalon are just the ones being targeted most so far it seems. If anyone has advanced stats or grades I'd be interested in seeing if they support that or not. 

The biggest issue at Safety is 3 of the top 4 are very similar. Its not to say that anyone is a bad player. Thompson, Cat, and Taaffe are all limited athletes. In theory Crawford or Williams would be a great pairing with Cat or Thompson. I just dont think either are to that level currently. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

The biggest issue at Safety is 3 of the top 4 are very similar. Its not to say that anyone is a bad player. Thompson, Cat, and Taaffe are all limited athletes. In theory Crawford or Williams would be a great pairing with Cat or Thompson. I just dont think either are to that level currently. 

I think we are a few weeks away from Williams really starting to put it together. 

I’m not aware of anyone with advanced metrics other than PFF. I don’t know that they’d have over the top safety help as part of that. That’d probably be incorporated into the pass D grade for each player. Same for open WRs that the Qb simply misses. The grading is ambiguous so not certain how reliable that is.

As for Catalon, he looks a little chunky but no idea if that’s normal for him. He hasn’t shown anything to say he’s a good pass defender. At least not from returning from his latest injury..

I’m not sure what KU will tell us because they might scheme themselves open rather than out athlete us.

On 9/25/2023 at 2:46 PM, Had Enough said:

I’m not sure what KU will tell us because they might scheme themselves open rather than out athlete us.

I expect the jayhawks to try isolating their TE's on Gbenda.  I doubt our defense will run man coverages much -- otherwise Daniels running and KU receivers running crossing routes could hurt Texas.

Texas zone coverages have at times shown some holes particularly in the seams and between the LBs and safeties

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, Fondren & Main said:

I wish we played Ok St this year so we could absolutely buttfuck them dry.

No, no, no, going in dry hurts both parties, are you a virgin or something? If you are going to fuck someone you want it to be easy and feel good. You don't want it to be painful for you.

Maybe I have a different perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On another note, did everyone come in here and eat crow for wanting PK fired and or gave GP all the credit for last year? FYI I didn't have to because I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of more than enough data to support it. Hopefully people now realize the lack of talent and development that took place under the previous coaching staff.

I will also add that Herman was such a prick, some of the "talent" didn't hang around long and transferred. Fuck that PoS. I am amazed at the quick turn around. This roster was in such bad shape I'm not sure most fans can comprehend. The LB room, OL, DB and DE/edge consisted of rubber bands, duct tape and bubble gum.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

On another note, did everyone come in here and eat crow for wanting PK fired and or gave GP all the credit for last year? FYI I didn't have to because I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of more than enough data to support it. Hopefully people now realize the lack of talent and development that took place under the previous coaching staff.

Talent, continuity and development. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sydir Mitchell did not play against Baylor.  Limited snaps vs. Rice and Wyoming for Mitchell this season.

image.png.d9d772da3998be82bb6b423fbbf77e1f.png

seeing the chart made me double check the recording.  I was at the game and was looking for Mitchell in garbage time.  I thought I was watching him for two plays.  TV confirmed it was actually 98, Trill Carter instead of 99, Sydir Mitchell.  Mea culpa.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

I don’t want to think about all the bad takes I’ve had since sark and co joined (as recent as Wyoming). PK is legit.

That said, I’ll probably go off again next lack luster performance because that’s what the internet is for?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I don’t want to think about all the bad takes I’ve had since sark and co joined (as recent as Wyoming). PK is legit.

That said, I’ll probably go off again next lack luster performance because that’s what the internet is for?

Everyone has their moments. I just like the idea of admitting when you are/were wrong. Hard to be a good person if you can't admit to the wrong choices, decisions or actions.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Who would have thought that the Safeties were going to be considered the weak link on this defense? Not me. They have only been exposed a few times. I wouldn't say wake but surely they are the weakest. They have been exploited more than anyone else but of course the pressure being put on opposing QBs has played a major role. The opposing QB's have time to throw, safety has been exposed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We havent played one decent offense, let alone a decent passing team with dual threat QB. There could be some WTF moments. Hopefully our own offense plays well because this could be a wake up call.

‘‘Member when our defense looked like shit against bad offenses? Doing what it’s supposed to be doing against the offenses we’ve faced so far is a very good thing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We havent played one decent offense, let alone a decent passing team with dual threat QB. There could be some WTF moments. Hopefully our own offense plays well because this could be a wake up call.

Kansas’ offense scored 24 on an OK (22 spots behind Texas in defensive efficiency) BYU defense. This could just as easily, or more likely, be a wake-up call for them. There are generally some WTF moments against other P5 teams, no matter what. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

This defense has passed the eye test at every turn so far. There is stuff you can look at regardless of opponent that can be telling signs. And a good DL tends to travel regardless of who is lining up across from them.

We've all watched enough Texas football to know what could be smoke and mirrors and what is sustainable. It took one game in 2012 to know Manny Diaz's defense was in trouble as Wyoming threw for 10 yards an attempt and moved the ball without resistance far too often, even though we won the game 37-17. It took one game in 2014 to know the Texas offense under Charlie Strong was in deep trouble (we all knew before that but still filled our minds with hope), even though we won 38-7. The statement victory over Notre Dame in 2016 for Charlie Strong overshadowed a defensive effort that was piss poor, which turned out to be the case for the entire season.

We can all identify warning signs and I don't think I've seen many warning signs with this defense yet that makes me feel their success is because of the opponents they are going up against.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Found my masterpiece.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:51 PM, CurlyDumps said:

If Sark is in the neighborhood of deserving the opportunity he was given, and wants to make it to year 4, PK will be gone 24 hours after the season ends.

tobefair this was posted after the Baylor loss. What are game thread and game thread adjacent posts besides kneejerk venting and shitposting?

Fairly sure I wasn't calling for his head after the season ended.  Reading back through this thread for the lols reminded me of how often PK called some serious WTF alignments. The historically bad defense of 2021 wasn't totally his fault but he definitely contributed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I'll admit to panicking just a bit in the 1st quarter with the run defense, but we settled in nicely.  

I said this in another thread but it wasn't very surprising. Texas had likely prepared for Daniels all week and not Bean. 

Daniels likes to scramble but not sure they were going to utilize that triple option look nearly as much based on previous games. Defense was just thrown off by a new QB and new offensive system. 

Gonna need to be PK's best gameplan this season for this Saturday's game at the Cotton Bowl.  Texas safeties and Gbenda are vulnerable in pass coverage.

Interesting nugget from Bobby Burton"This quarterback thing is unreal. Not since Bama – for three straight weeks now – have the Longhorns faced their opponent’s starting QB."

Those 3 games:  Wyoming, baylor, kansas

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna need to be PK's best gameplan this season for this Saturday's game at the Cotton Bowl.  Texas safeties and Gbenda are vulnerable in pass coverage.

Interesting nugget from Bobby Burton"This quarterback thing is unreal. Not since Bama – for three straight weeks now – have the Longhorns faced their opponent’s starting QB."

Those 3 games:  Wyoming, baylor, kansas

That just means our opponents have scouted us well.  They just didn’t account for PK adjusting.

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?