RIP Marty Schottenheimer

Texas St. Armadillos

5 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Damn

Him and Nov Turner are two of the first coaching names outside of the classic icons that I remember hearing about as a kid.

RIP

Same here - his Chargers teams with LT/Merrimon/Sproles were one of the first NFL teams I properly noticed. So much fun.

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We are at that age now where a lot of greats from are youth and passing along.  Fuck 

That's a broad "we", hombre.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

They say that he sucked in the playoffs.  What really happened is he got a bunch of shitty teams TO the playoffs.  

Great coach. 

He also had terrible luck with The Drive and The fumble in consecutive AFC Championships. He also had the best team in the AFC in 2004 with the Brees and Tomlinson lead Chargers but were upset by the Jets. He was always a great guy and, imo, a great coach. RIP to Marty and condolences to his family.

34 minutes ago, Hate said:

He also had terrible luck with The Drive and The fumble in consecutive AFC Championships. He also had the best team in the AFC in 2004 with the Brees and Tomlinson lead Chargers but were upset by the Jets. He was always a great guy and, imo, a great coach. RIP to Marty and condolences to his family.

He also had Lin Elliott miss like 8 field goals in that one playoff game for the Chiefs (I think it was against the Captain Comeback Colts?)

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He also had Lin Elliott miss like 8 field goals in that one playoff game for the Chiefs (I think it was against the Captain Comeback Colts?)

Yup. I think the Colts won 10-7 or something like that.  I was rooting my ass off for them to beat the Steelers.  I was crushed when they dropped that Hail Mary to go to the Super Bowl.  I had to decided to make the year "AFC team" that year because I thought Harbaugh and Marshall Faulk were badass.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hate said:

I knew I remembered something from the Chargers,  January 2007, Schott leads by 8 in the 4th qtr.  

On a fourth-down conversion attempt, Brady's pass was intercepted by Marlon McCree, but Troy Brown stripped the ball, and receiver Reche Caldwell recovered it. Schottenheimer unsuccessfully challenged the play and lost a timeout.

TB12 and the Pats then scored 11 points while the Chargers missed a long fg to tie. 

I was traveling through the Atlanta airport in Dec. '92 I think it was. I had a couple of hours between flights and Marty, His wife and one of their sons were heading to Florida for Christmas. I recognized him and struck up a conversation with him. Their flight got delayed so we spent over an hour talking, he was very down to earth and didn't seem to be bothered by my talking to them. His back was hurting and he stretched out on the floor. I talked with his wife for a long time. The whole family was that way.

I became a fan of his after that encounter. RIP Marty.

• Like 1

His early 90s Chiefs teams with Christian Okoye and Steve Deberg were a lot of fun.   The year he was in DC, he whipped the team in to shape, but literally would not take phone calls from Snyder and refused to discuss anything football with him in season, so Snyder fired him.  That’s badass. 

Unlike Andy Reid, who is a legit late game dumbass, Marty was just on the wrong end of an ass ton of bad fucking luck. RIP.

Edited by Bateshorn