Bourbon

Jimbaround

A friend gave me a bottle of the Rio Brazos Texas Bourbon.    Tasted like a shitty scotch.   Tried it neat, on the rocks and mixed with Diet Coke.   May be the worst tasting booze I have ever had.   And I've tried sloe gin.  

Sometimes a sale is all about enough keywords.. too brazos.. Texas.. Bourbon.. that’s the trifecta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Macanudo said:

A friend gave me a bottle of the Rio Brazos Texas Bourbon.    Tasted like a shitty scotch.   Tried it neat, on the rocks and mixed with Diet Coke.   May be the worst tasting booze I have ever had.   And I've tried sloe gin.  

I’ve generally found that once my interest in bourbon became more public amongst our circle of friends that I’ve been gifted probably every terrible bottle of bourbon that has Texas or Austin somewhere on the label in the market place.  

Unfortunately, because I’m a hoarder, they just accumulate like lost children taking up space in my liquor cabinet.  Maybe I should just box them up and leave them somewhere conspicuous in West Campus.

• Like 1

I’ve generally found that once my interest in bourbon became more public amongst our circle of friends that I’ve been gifted probably every terrible bottle of bourbon that has Texas or Austin somewhere on the label in the market place.  

Unfortunately, because I’m a hoarder, they just accumulate like lost children taking up space in my liquor cabinet.  Maybe I should just box them up and leave them somewhere conspicuous in West Campus.

I usually regift those to people I know mix their shit with the disclaimer of “I don’t recommend drinking this without a mixer, and you know I don’t mix my shit so here ya go.”

16 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I usually regift those to people I know mix their shit with the disclaimer of “I don’t recommend drinking this without a mixer, and you know I don’t mix my shit so here ya go.”

What I’m really hopeful is that @Bozo_Casanovaor @billfromlaketravis invite me over to drink from their collection and I’m going to give them one my 1835 bottles and insinuate that it’s a gift beyond measure, or at least that’s what the staffer at Spec’s promised.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

What I’m really hopeful is that @Bozo_Casanovaor @billfromlaketravis invite me over to drink from their collection and I’m going to give them one my 1835 bottles and insinuate that it’s a gift beyond measure, or at least that’s what the staffer at Spec’s promised.

Haha, BigD definitely has a better collection than mine. Bozo most likely as well. Party Taco will probably get me too if he hasn't already. 

Then there's Bert Orange who's in another galaxy. 

I offer guests whatever I have open. They have to catch me on the right day.  I do like like to give Blanton's and Eagle Rare to people that help me out, or if I couldn't make an event they invited me to. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I was gifted a case of it. I thought it was better than I expected given it’s aged 1 year.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I realize that this is a bit of a controversial opinion around here, but I don’t mind Garrison Brothers, it’s just a poor value.

It's a good distillery to visit. It's pretty close, a beautiful property, and a good/informative tour. That said, you could probably get Garrison Bros out of your system with a bourbon flight of all their products. 

It's bad by any means, it's just way too expensive. A JD BP SiB will blow your hair back for $60-70. It's just not worth it spend $200+ on GB Cowboy Bourbon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dope, thanks - The distillery is beautiful if y’all are ever in town. The entire area is being redeveloped around it and will be incredible when complete in about a year’s time.

I pass the spring where they source their water on my way to work sometimes… perfect country!

2 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Dope, thanks - The distillery is beautiful if y’all are ever in town. The entire area is being redeveloped around it and will be incredible when complete in about a year’s time.

I pass the spring where they source their water on my way to work sometimes… perfect country!

Maryland and Pennsylvania put ryes on the map. I hope distillers there continue to do well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LCHorn said:

That works, my only real cultivated expertise is in headaches anyway. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Because it makes me sad, the flagship Spec's locations in Dallas and Houston should have plenty of the JD BP SiB picks left. There was a pile of them at Houston Midtown. I would recommend. 

It would be nice if they shipped some to smaller stores in the burbs. I'm in Cypress now, and haven't found a single shop worth visiting frequently yet.  Every small independent store I visit has secondary or higher prices for anything special. The one store I went to was charging $93 for an Eagle Rare. I told the guy I didn't need it that bad, I had plenty at home, and he offered me $60 a bottle if I wanted to sell some to him. Fucking wanker. 

Spec's up here doesn't even get run of the mill Spec's barrel picks. It's sad :(

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It would be nice if they shipped some to smaller stores in the burbs. I'm in Cypress now, and haven't found a single shop worth visiting frequently yet.  Every small independent store I visit has secondary or higher prices for anything special. The one store I went to was charging $93 for an Eagle Rare. I told the guy I didn't need it that bad, I had plenty at home, and he offered me $60 a bottle if I wanted to sell some to him. Fucking wanker. 

Spec's up here doesn't even get run of the mill Spec's barrel picks. It's sad :(

It just goes to show you that many of the shoppers at Smith St. don't like drinking bourbon. They like flipping bourbon. The Jack pick accolades are well published on Houston Bourbon Hounds and Katy Bourbon Mafia Facebook groups. Maybe the price is keeping some away, but I think it's reasonable. I thought shipping bottles to the other stores is the usual process when they don't move at the Midtown store. I'm not sure what's going on here. 

I guess if the Jack pick still collecting dust next week, I'll pick up another. 

I'll probably crack the Rebel Distiller's Collection pick this weekend to determine if it's worth buying another. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody noticed a wide range in quality of EHT Small Batch? The ones from the Spec’s drop in December seem to be much better than I remember. 

No, but I just killed one from ‘18 or ‘19 and have a Christmas drop one sitting there ready to open so I’ll let you know.  

I had some 11 yr SAOS rye along with a ‘17 MBSR and ‘21 Handy last night and damn, rye kills it with Caramel Delite Girl Scout cookies.  There’s something perfectly contradictory about expensive pours and $0.25 cookies. 

37D300E9-D69A-424D-9AB9-8DB772530C77.jpeg

9 minutes ago, USCATX said:

No, but I just killed one from ‘18 or ‘19 and have a Christmas drop one sitting there ready to open so I’ll let you know.  

I had some 11 yr SAOS rye along with a ‘17 MBSR and ‘21 Handy last night and damn, rye kills it with Caramel Delite Girl Scout cookies.  There’s something perfectly contradictory about expensive pours and $0.25 cookies. 

37D300E9-D69A-424D-9AB9-8DB772530C77.jpeg

Maybe it’s not time to close the book on MGP Rye. What’s the mashbill? 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Brown-Forman knows their way around high proof bourbon. Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, the Spec’s JD pick, and OF SiB were all fire in 2021. 

That said, I think they’re getting too cute with the Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection. We like well aged products or high proof products. Not weird mashbills. 

It's because Elizabeth McCall is getting involved in the master's collection series

12 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

First of a few celebratory pours for my adopted nearby team I suppose. Bears aren't ever doing shit. Go Bengals, who dey
27c79c7783f561291751ded1c63720a4.jpg

That Boone County, tho.  First time I had it Inwas thinking “oh shit, this is a way better 90 proofer than W12 and it’s just sitting on shelves.”  Then everybody else figured it out and now it’s $350 secondary.  

12 minutes ago, USCATX said:

That Boone County, tho.  First time I had it Inwas thinking “oh shit, this is a way better 90 proofer than W12 and it’s just sitting on shelves.”  Then everybody else figured it out and now it’s $350 secondary.  

I'm a little bummed, I knew they were about out of the MGP stuff around that time so I went to the distillery and grabbed 3 more bottles, not fully knowing it would literally be gone the next week. The folks at the distillery played a little cagey with me as well when i asked how much stock was left, should have grabbed more. It would sit on shelves here all day for 45 bucks a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I wrote on this page to stock up because it was going away a couple months before it did, should have taken my own advice.

19 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

I'm a little bummed, I knew they were about out of the MGP stuff around that time so I went to the distillery and grabbed 3 more bottles, not fully knowing it would literally be gone the next week. The folks at the distillery played a little cagey with me as well when i asked how much stock was left, should have grabbed more. It would sit on shelves here all day for 45 bucks a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I wrote on this page to stock up because it was going away a couple months before it did, should have taken my own advice.

I took your advce, and bought a bottle at Spec's the next day. I should have bought a case.

When I bought my last bottle in 2020, the liquor store owner told me his distributor had two bottles in inventory. The one I was buying, and one in El Paso. I think I paid a $20 mark up. Totally worth it. 

• Like 1

I took your advce, and bought a bottle at Spec's the next day. I should have bought a case.
When I bought my last bottle in 2020, the liquor store owner told me his distributor had two bottles in inventory. The one I was buying, and one in El Paso. I think I paid a $20 mark up. Totally worth it. 

Definitely worth it