Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 10/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, Smax said:

Open it
Try it
Let me know how it is

Yeah I need to do that. I opened a new bottle  of the Basil Hayden Rye tonight and I’m not sold on it yet. I got carried away Friday night on Gold Rushes so I’m still a little gun shy and maybe not the best guinnea pig.

Edited by RMac5

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Saw some Weller Special Reserve on the shelf for $30 over the weekend in Athens, GA. Shopkeep said they had received one bottle of W12 and would let it go for $399. I practically yelled at her. She was selling Blanton’s for $109 too.

You can find handles of WSR all day in the Austin area for $32.99.  W12 for $399 could be one of the biggest bourbon disappointments of all time.  I’ve been pouring W12 for friends who haven’t had it because it’s about 75% as good as RY10 in my book.  

4 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

For those that really want to try the 2017 BTAC collection, here is a 1 oz. sample of each (plus a regular Sazerac) for $84. Only issue is that delivery is another $44.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/42259/buffalo-trace-antique-collection-gift-set-6x3cl

sets_pm_61.jpg

I paid $125 for that same tasting at the houston whiskey social.  the pours were extremely generous though - 2-3 oz.

9 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

For those that really want to try the 2017 BTAC collection, here is a 1 oz. sample of each (plus a regular Sazerac) for $84. Only issue is that delivery is another $44.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/42259/buffalo-trace-antique-collection-gift-set-6x3cl

sets_pm_61.jpg

That’s not a bad deal right there.  Hell of a night of sampling for things you never see at 99% of bars.  You can stumble into a $20-$30 THH or GTS pour but not all 5.  

On 10/7/2018 at 8:50 PM, irishtexan said:

Anybody tried this shit? I wasn’t particularly impressed. Just didn’t have anything that stoop out to me. And I love Weller. I guess I was just expecting more out of it. Feel like the abv was too low and there wasn’t enough heat.

f019bf3ba4b2efc95346f7901f953486.jpgacbe6d3eaf50b21c28f0b6f10287582f.jpg

You just told me there's no Santa Claus. 

10 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

sets_pm_61.jpg

Tempting if the shipping were less. Still tempting. 

On 8/15/2018 at 11:41 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t see why not. 

My schedule: 

Maryland : Larceny, personalized  barrel

Tulsa  Larceny again (it’s Tulsa, so who wants leftovers) 

USC : Weller Antique, Single Barrel/Store Pick

TCU : Blanton’s Store Pick

K State : Stagg Jr, decanted 3-4 weeks 

OU: Poor Man’s Pappy 

Baylor : Buffalo Trace, personalized barrel

OK State: Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel

WVU : Old Scout Single Barrel , 12 Year (you have to drink a “West Virginia” bourbon on WVU weekend) 

Tech : Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 12 Year (I know it’s a nice bottle for such an inferior school, but I work at the epicenter of Tech School Pride, so this win would be especially sweet)

ISU : Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel

KU : Stagg Jr, decanted (its close enough to Thanksgiving to drink something good)

Updating due to my recent haul:

My schedule: 

Maryland : Larceny, personalized  barrel

Tulsa  Larceny again (it’s Tulsa, so who wants leftovers) 

USC : Weller Antique, Single Barrel/Store Pick

TCU : Blanton’s Store Pick

K State : Stagg Jr, decanted 3-4 weeks 

OU: Poor Man’s Pappy 

Baylor : Buffalo Trace, personalized barrel EH Taylor Single Barrel

OK State: Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel I'm mulling Rebel Yell 10, but it's been so hard to find. 

WVU : Old Scout Single Barrel , 12 Year (you have to drink a “West Virginia” bourbon on WVU weekend) 

Tech : Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 12 Year (I know it’s a nice bottle for such an inferior school, but I work at the epicenter of Tech School Pride, so this win would be especially sweet)

ISU : Sazerac Rye, personalized barrel Elijah Craig, personalized barrel 

KU : Stagg Jr, decanted (its close enough to Thanksgiving to drink something good) Knob Creek Single Barrel 9 Year, decanted

On 10/12/2018 at 7:56 PM, Bert Orange said:

It’s delicious. Not as good as Batch 1, but that’s like saying it was a Kate Upton instead of a Brinkley. Gen 2 is fiiiiine. Had a glass tonight to toast my departed grandmother. 

That’s good to know, I was told 2.0 was better than the original version, I have a bottle of the original that I have not tapped into yet.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

PSA...thewhiskeyexchange.com has Blanton's Gold shipped for $110.    About $40-50 less than what you can normally find it for secondary market.

IMO it's worth every damn cent of $110.    Some of the best bourbon I have tasted.

They also have old label Elijah Craig barrel proof and WT101 8 yr age stated.  I think you can go up to 5 bottles for $103 shipping if you want to go big.  But you’re right, Gold is the best you can buy routinely for that price. 

Edited by USCATX

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m at a restaurant in Alabama and the old fashioned listed on the menu has Crown Royal in it. 

How do I report someone to the better business bureau?

Probably has a maraschino cherry or three and a huge slice of orange.  Kill it with fire.  

Goody Goody has a great store pick of the Knob Creek SB.    Try to find Barrel #6817 or 6816.  They are both 13yr 11 month old bottles.  For $40 it's really hard to find anything better.

These 2 locations in Houston have some.

2680 Highway 6 South, Houston, TX,77082 

6401 Woodway Drive, Houston TX 77057 

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Goody Goody has a great store pick of the Knob Creek SB.    Try to find Barrel #6817 or 6816.  They are both 13yr 11 month old bottles.  For $40 it's really hard to find anything better.

These 2 locations in Houston have some.

2680 Highway 6 South, Houston, TX,77082 

6401 Woodway Drive, Houston TX 77057 

I'm beginning to regret my purchase. The Village Liquor Store Pick is only 10 years old, and they definitely didn't go to Kentucky to pick it out.