So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

Decriminalized - so they just give the "offender" a ticket instead of shoving them in the slammer. Essentially, that's what we have in a number of major Texas counties: Travis, Bexar, Harris, Dallas, and El Paso.

Moreover, Austin City Council voted last January to order APD to not even ticket anyone for anything under 4 ounces, which is an absolute shitload of weed. So, for most tokers, the possession of maryjane is essentially legal now within the city limits.

that's adorable

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

Decriminalized - so they just give the "offender" a ticket instead of shoving them in the slammer. Essentially, that's what we have in a number of major Texas counties: Travis, Bexar, Harris, Dallas, and El Paso.

Moreover, Austin City Council voted last January to order APD to not even ticket anyone for anything under 4 ounces, which is an absolute shitload of weed. So, for most tokers, the possession of maryjane is essentially legal now within the city limits.

Travis DA is currently rejecting state jail felony MJ cases, i.e., < 5#.

I don't recommend trying that in any other county, though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Louisiana is going to vote on a bill to legalize soon and Oklahoma still might legalize medical for out of state residents.  We still might get some exciting news before June if things go well.

It's been a couple years since I covered Louisiana for work, but back then LSU was one of my customers. I was told by a guy high up in their Ag department that LSU had a plan to be a major player in legal weed in Louisiana. They felt like it could solve a lot of their budget issues, and they already had plenty of rural land they could use for greenhouses. Can you imagine if aggy got involved in weed in Texas? It would be maroon, wouldn't get you high, and would probably give you the shits or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, bolverk said:

This is/ was Biden's view on marijuana and the main cause for confusion for people. They don't get that it doesn't matter too much which states legalize and which don't. As long as it remains a schedule one substance (a higher class than cocaine and in the same class as heroine,) it means fuck all. Consumers still are being subjected to unnecessary risks and sellers still can't participate in banking institutions and run the daily risk of being raided by the DEA.

We need this resolved at the federal level before this prohibition can be considered over. And sorry to "both sides" this issue but it's undisputed that Democrats are just as much a barrier (albeit moreso at the federal level) to legalization as Republicans. I think big pharma and other powerful lobbying groups (especially private prisons) has a lot to do with this but still, it's an issue that needs to be driven home for both parties. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

I have said this all along - the party that decriminalizes will gain a ton of new voters and devotees. It goes way beyond recreation and its benefit to to everyone cannot be understated. It's way past time for this and the party that maneuvers to decriminalize will become even more powerful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I have said this all along - the party that decriminalizes will gain a ton of new voters and devotees. It goes way beyond recreation and its benefit to to everyone cannot be understated. It's way past time for this and the party that maneuvers to decriminalize will become even more powerful.

It should happen federally during the Biden presidency, but I’m not certain that it actually will.

10 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yeah, but it's not just a single party, at least at the state level. Twenty years from now there will be a Republican candidate for president (assuming the party is still around) who will say that they helped lead the way for legalization in their state. And it will resonate with their base. This is an issue that transcends political parties on every level except the one that matters most.

19 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, but it's not just a single party, at least at the state level. Twenty years from now there will be a Republican candidate for president (assuming the party is still around) who will say that they helped lead the way for legalization in their state. And it will resonate with their base. This is an issue that transcends political parties on every level except the one that matters most.

Will Smith Movie GIF by Bad Boys For Life

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yep.

How great would it be to adopt one of those good boys/girls??

He/She would be a great little guard dog, probably loyal as hell, excellently trained, AND could sniff out some good weed for you???

SIGN ME UP!

I can't bring a snitch into this house!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, bolverk said:

Updated map

525px-Map_of_US_state_cannabis_laws.svg.

Seriously? NC is decriminalized? I'll see y'all in the gardening thread....

Edit:  Shit. Half an ounce or less. I guess I'll have to put off the expansion of my herb garden for a few more legislative sessions at minimum.

Edited by Walden Ponderer

On 5/29/2021 at 10:22 PM, Bama Chick said:

He/She would be a great little guard dog, probably loyal as hell, excellently trained, AND could sniff out some good weed for you???

Highly questionable. As long as they get a treat, it's primo.

I imagine NC is taking the lead of their tobacco conglomerates.

SC - outside of Charleston - is Trumpy AF.

They were the assholes that cling to keeping the Stars and Bars on all government property long past all other states too.

Also see - Lindsay Graham and Tim Scott.

They get lost in the conversation of which state has the worst senators. They get overshadowed by Alabama (sob, I miss Doug Jones), Texas, and Kentucky.

23 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I imagine NC is taking the lead of their tobacco conglomerates.

SC - outside of Charleston - is Trumpy AF.

They were the assholes that cling to keeping the Stars and Bars on all government property long past all other states too.

Also see - Lindsay Graham and Tim Scott.

They get lost in the conversation of which state has the worst senators. They get overshadowed by Alabama (sob, I miss Doug Jones), Texas, and Kentucky.

You’re right……. Tim Scott is the fucking worst. I really hate that guy for some reason. 

I guess it’s all the trump cock sucking the man did the last 2 years. 

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

imagine NC is taking the lead of their tobacco conglomerates.

See, I would think these guys would be chomping at the bit to expand their product line and market.  A big tobacco company already has the packaging, distribution and marketing set up.  They could mass market weed and sell it side by side with cigarettes and dip.  Rednecks would eat that shit up.  

News from south of the border (short article):

The legalization effort began three years ago when the Supreme Court ruled that a previous law banning the recreational use of marijuana was unconstitutional. But while the lower chamber of Congress signed a legalization bill that also enjoys the support of Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, and Morena, the ruling party, the measure to turn the country into the world’s largest legal marijuana market seems stuck.

tl/dr: It sounds they're stuck in limbo on rules for how to regulate it with some concerned that the regulations themselves will end up with cops extorting from growers.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/louisiana-bill-to-legalize-smokable-medical-marijuana-heads-to-governors-desk/

lousiana very close to allowing medical patients to access smokable marijuana. They might also decriminalize possession of 14 grams or less before the legislative session ends.

lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Mexico all have way more advanced marijuana programs than Texas. Fucking Dan Patrick.

• Rage+1 1

47 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/louisiana-bill-to-legalize-smokable-medical-marijuana-heads-to-governors-desk/

lousiana very close to allowing medical patients to access smokable marijuana. They might also decriminalize possession of 14 grams or less before the legislative session ends.

lousiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Mexico all have way more advanced marijuana programs than Texas. Fucking Dan Patrick.

and the great irony is all the revenue the state is losing to its neighbors. shit, the last stuff I bought was from Oregon - 2000 miles away. Does that seem efficient to you?

Add Alabama. The lege passed medical a
couple of weeks ago and Governor MeeMaw signed it.

So there is no way this administration is going to legalize it federally is there? Why hasn't there been more pressure on this admin? Why didn't they receive more criticism for firing staffers for using (possibly legal at the time) marijuana?

"frustrating staffers who were pleased by initial indications from the Biden administration that recreational use of cannabis would not be immediately disqualifying for would-be personnel, according to three people familiar with the situation."

This was wrong on so many levels. 

On 6/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

See, I would think these guys would be chomping at the bit to expand their product line and market.  A big tobacco company already has the packaging, distribution and marketing set up.  They could mass market weed and sell it side by side with cigarettes and dip.  Rednecks would eat that shit up.  

Champing

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

Does the Senate have 60 votes to pass it?

I dunno, it's hard to figure out.  When Cynthia Lummis (WY) and Rand Paul (KY) are open to it, something close to 60 must exist.

But I'd say they'd probably be open it as long as it doesn't expunge the records of people currently in prison for it bc TOUGH ON CRIME.  And black people being let out of jail. 

something I have often wondered: who actually has the power to decriminalize? are multiple entities able to do it? an executive order doesn't get it done, right? guess I'm a little fuzzy on who's authority the decision rests

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

something I have often wondered: who actually has the power to decriminalize? are multiple entities able to do it? an executive order doesn't get it done, right? guess I'm a little fuzzy on who's authority the decision rests

Congress can decriminalize.

I think all Biden can do is re-schedule or de-schedule it. 

Amazon to no longer screen for marijuana use.

https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/Pages/Amazon-Drops-Marijuana-Screening.aspx

huh. tbh i didn't think anybody bothered with that anymore. i've had friends that partake that had to 'drug test' for new jobs (banking, IT) and neither were DQ'd for it, i just assumed nobody cared about it anymore. 

well, good for Amazon.

Amazon to no longer screen for marijuana use.
https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/Pages/Amazon-Drops-Marijuana-Screening.aspx
huh. tbh i didn't think anybody bothered with that anymore. i've had friends that partake that had to 'drug test' for new jobs (banking, IT) and neither were DQ'd for it, i just assumed nobody cared about it anymore. 
well, good for Amazon.

Every oil and gas company does. Usually hair test. Every engineering firm does. Whether you are in the office or the field. White collar and blue collar. That is millions of jobs (corrected).

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Every oil and gas company does. Usually hair test. Every engineering firm does. Whether you are in the office or the field. White collar and blue collar. That is hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Yep.  My good buddy (Petroleum Eng.) is about to be back on the job market and can't partake. 

I know someone who used to work in the field for Schlumberger.  He said they didn’t do normal layoffs.  When they needed to cut back,  they would just have a round of random drug testing and fire anyone who failed.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I know someone who used to work in the field for Schlumberger.  He said they didn’t do normal layoffs.  When they needed to cut back,  they would just have a round of random drug testing and fire anyone who failed.

fucked up. hilarious, but fucked up.

Every oil and gas company does. Usually hair test. Every engineering firm does. Whether you are in the office or the field. White collar and blue collar. That is millions of jobs (corrected).

Yep. It’s because of the DOT requirements for pipeline safety.

Yep. It’s because of the DOT requirements for pipeline safety.

Yeah. But also goes beyond that. Offshore stuff as well.

However, more than once I have seen drunk managers in the office (engineering). But anyone in the industry partaking in anything with THC on the weekend, nope, can’t do that.

Some of it is DOT and other safety stuff, some of is the fact that O&G is a very, very conservative industry.