UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure that's accurate. IIRC, Calipari can leave for little to nothing. He had a ton of leverage last time they negotiated. 

Yeah, I'm positive I read something that highlighted how inequitble his deal is.  (Not "unfair", just totally different in terms of buyouts.)

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure that's accurate. IIRC, Calipari can leave for little to nothing. He had a ton of leverage last time they negotiated. 

Correct, according to this article:

"Calipari's contract states that if the University terminates his deal then the University must pay a lofty guarantee," 247Sports wrote. "However, if Calipari voluntarily leaves, his contract states that he must give the University notice but there is no mention of a buyout or any 'liquidated damages' that he or a bidding employer must pay.

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

With all of talent, if I remember correctly, he didn't even make the tournament one year and maybe you don't remember that those 2 championships at UMass and Memphis were vacated and at UK, Calipari is on the same level as Guy Lewis and John Thompson. And I have no problems if CDC signs a younger up in coming coach. 

Why would I care about vacated titles? Cal was playing the bag game. Good news, it’s legal now.

John Thompson won less than 25 games 19 times in 27 seasons at Georgetown. He won 71% of his games. 
Guy Lewis won less than 25 games 22 times in 31 seasons. He won 68% of his games. I love Guy Lewis, my coach played for him so I have an affinity for those Houston teams.
Cal has finished with less than 25 wins 9 times in 30 seasons and wins 77% of his games.

Those are pretty awful comps from you. Anyone who would rather have an up and comer (McCasland, etc.) than Cal is a fucking moron. But please tell us all how great Bill Little is and how you know more than we do.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I honestly prefer it. I don't want a mid-60s coach who looks burnt out and runs a shitty offense at one of the most resource, talent and history-rich basketball schools in the country. 

You can say "maybe he needs a change of scenery" but what if he doesn't and we just blow tens of millions on Cal with no results?  Texas has so much momentum right now - this hire has to be right, and i prefer someone young enough to build a monster of a program for 15-20 years. 

What is the worst case scenario with Cal? He comes here, puts a bunch of kids in the NBA, he makes the tourney 9/10 years, but doesn’t ever make a FF. That’s the worst case.

57 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why would I care about vacated titles? Cal was playing the bag game. Good news, it’s legal now.

John Thompson won less than 25 games 19 times in 27 seasons at Georgetown. He won 71% of his games. 
Guy Lewis won less than 25 games 22 times in 31 seasons. He won 68% of his games. I love Guy Lewis, my coach played for him so I have an affinity for those Houston teams.
Cal has finished with less than 25 wins 9 times in 30 seasons and wins 77% of his games.

Those are pretty awful comps from you. Anyone who would rather have an up and comer (McCasland, etc.) than Cal is a fucking moron. But please tell us all how great Bill Little is and how you know more than we do.

You're not very bright. My point wasn't rocket science but evidently it is to you.  Having said that, you're such an idiot that you made my point. Both John Thompson and Guy Lewis had incredible talent for most of their coaching and like Calipari, have little to show for it.  Cal didn't play the bag game with Rose. He outright cheated to get him into school. Why would you care about vacated titles? Being a piece of crap, you probably wouldn't. And I could give a fuck if your coach played for Lewis. 

I never mentioned an up and comer specifically and there are probably some great candidates You probably would have whined like many of the fans and alums about Coach K his first 3 years at Duke and wanted him fired.

And I don't think I have ever said this on this site, but I am smarter than you. Why? Your posts. They tell me that I am smarter than you.

And what kind of asshole would take a cheap shot at Bill Little. I guess someone like you.

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

You're not very bright. My point wasn't rocket science but evidently it is to you.  Having said that, you're such an idiot that you made my point. Both John Thompson and Guy Lewis had incredible talent for most of their coaching and like Calipari, have little to show for it.  Cal didn't play the bag game with Rose. He outright cheated to get him into school. Why would you care about vacated titles? Being a piece of crap, you probably wouldn't. And I could give a fuck if your coach played for Lewis. 

I never mentioned an up and comer specifically and there are probably some great candidates You probably would have whined like many of the fans and alums about Coach K his first 3 years at Duke and wanted him fired.

And I don't think I have ever said this on this site, but I am smarter than you. Why? Your posts. They tell me that I am smarter than you.

And what kind of asshole would take a cheap shot at Bill Little. I guess someone like you.

Both of those coaches have significantly less to show for their talent than Cal does. If your point was that Cal did more with his talent than either of those two did then we made the same point. You’re welcome to look at the data and attempt whatever point you think you made, but you’ll find that those two examples are poor comparisons to Cal because they won significantly less.

Yes I don’t give a shit about vacated titles because I’m not 12 years old. Oh no he cheated on Rose’s grades? It’s almost like college one and dones aren’t real student athletes. I guess I’m a piece of crap for being happy that a guy who’s money making potential was tied to his ability to play basketball wasn’t denied his opportunity because of stupid rules that make players go to college. 

Go ahead and mention the up and comers that you would take over Cal? Let’s hear it. Who’s the Coach K for us?

Yes your intellect is truly dizzying. We should all bow down to your 1950s understanding of basketball and the world.

Did you ever meet Bill Little lol? Again I encourage you to talk to some baseball players, longtime baseball fans, and former coaches. I have no problem saying Bill Little is a douchebag. I’m not sure how that’s a cheap shot but I guess you can cry more about it if you’d like.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

Correct, according to this article:

"Calipari's contract states that if the University terminates his deal then the University must pay a lofty guarantee," 247Sports wrote. "However, if Calipari voluntarily leaves, his contract states that he must give the University notice but there is no mention of a buyout or any 'liquidated damages' that he or a bidding employer must pay.

If we’re not paying Chris or the new coaches buyout, we could pay more annual salary

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and again, i don't want Coach Cal, but the way people in this thread are talking about him you'd think he was shaka smart. do we want Cal? no. is he a better hire than probably 95% of available candidates? yes. 

let's get this debate clear right now: this is not a case of "people who don't want to hire Coach Cal" debating people who do want him hired; this is a case of "people who'd rather hire mizzou'a coach or UNT's coach than Coach Cal", debating those of us who think that's absolutely crazy. 

It would be like hiring Jimbo Fisher.

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm not a fan of the argument that Cal would be able to land ridiculous talent at Texas because what coach isn't able to land ridiculous talent at Texas? Even Shaka was landing 5 stars and NBA players. 

Texas has a mediocre football coach with no history of major success and he's still landing top 5 classes. NIL and the attraction of Texas does all the recruiting for Texas. 

Being able to land top talent is not unique to Cal at all. Any coach hired by Texas is going to land 5 stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not a fan of the argument that Cal would be able to land ridiculous talent at Texas because what coach isn't able to land ridiculous talent at Texas? Even Shaka was landing 5 stars and NBA players. 

Texas has a mediocre football coach with no history of major success and he's still landing top 5 classes. NIL and the attraction of Texas does all the recruiting for Texas. 

Being able to land top talent is not unique to Cal at all. Any coach hired by Texas is going to land 5 stars. 

Shaka was landing poor to middling classes for what Texas is capable of. I don't think Calipari is some awesome coach that gets everything out of his players but recruiting wise he would blow Shaka out of the fucking water. Go compare UK's draft record to Texas' during the years Shaka was here. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Shaka was landing poor to middling classes for what Texas is capable of. I don't think Calipari is some awesome coach that gets everything out of his players but recruiting wise he would blow Shaka out of the fucking water. Go compare UK's draft record to Texas' during the years Shaka was here. 

This was prior to NIL and Shaka was still landing a shit load of talent. Just go see all the top 50ish level talent Shaka was landing.

Yes, Cal is a better recruiter but any coach can land talent at Texas. Especially with the new advantages of NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

This was prior to NIL and Shaka was still landing a shit load of talent. Just go see all the top 50ish level talent Shaka was landing.

Yes, Cal is a better recruiter but any coach can land talent at Texas. Especially with the new advantages of NIL. 

Since you didn't do the basic research I asked, I'll do it for you.

Here is Shaka (keep in mind GBIII and JA were both local products and spoon-fed to him):

Screenshot_20230109_183904_Chrome.thumb.jpg.494fafc23c2c1182b85f4f0c9513f923.jpg

Here is Calipari over the same period:

Screenshot_20230109_184245_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d932743dd4f9343127669ff5fadf0da8.jpg

And since your premise is that "any coach can land talent at Texas" I have to imagine the 2nd guy would land quite a bit more. I get Kentucky is Kentucky but Cal would have zero issue bringing that freight train to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Shaka didn’t recruit anywhere near Cal. No one really ever has. Shaka would get us one big time recruit per year. Cal got the 5 best high school players all in the same year.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Do you even Basketball, bro? I'm guessing you don't because that statement is laughable. Shaka did recruit some good players, but nothing like Kentucky had in that time span they had McDonald's All-Americans beating down their doors every single year. Shaka would get one of those types of players every three cycles while Cal was reeling them in year in and year out. Look at Kentucky's 2023 class : #1 Combo guard, #1 SF, #2 C and #2 PG. When the fuck did Shaka ever recruit a class like that at Texas?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Chad said:

Do you even Basketball, bro? I'm guessing you don't because that statement is laughable. Shaka did recruit some good players, but nothing like Kentucky had in that time span they had McDonald's All-Americans beating down their doors every single year. Shaka would get one of those types of players every three cycles while Cal was reeling them in year in and year out. Look at Kentucky's 2023 class : #1 Combo guard, #1 SF, #2 C and #2 PG. When the fuck did Shaka ever recruit a class like that at Texas?

Our best recruiting class ever can’t come close to touching that and it included Kevin Durant

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Our best recruiting class ever can’t come close to touching that and it included Kevin Durant

Exactly. There is a difference between recruiting at a high level and recruiting at an elite level. Kentucky Basketball pulls in talent like Bama pulls in Football year in and year out. Shaka would've nut himself about the prospects of pulling in a class like this : https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

I never said Shaka recruited like Cal. I said he was landing talent. 

The #6 class in '17, #8 class in '18, and the only reason the '19 and '20 classes weren't ranked higher is because the classes were small. This was all prior to NIL that offset the advantages that  coaches like Cal had because they are huge cheaters. 

Cal would likely land more talent than some coaches at Texas but you're kidding yourself if it would be a huge advantage over other coaches. Musselman, Oats, Miller, Cronin would all land insane talent here with NIL. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The #6 class in '17, #8 class in '18, and the only reason the '19 and '20 classes weren't ranked higher is because the classes were small. This was all prior to NIL that offset the advantages that  coaches like Cal had because they are huge cheaters. 

Cal would likely land more talent than some coaches at Texas but you're kidding yourself if it would be a huge advantage over other coaches. Musselman, Oats, Miller, Cronin would all land insane talent here with NIL. 

I'm not sure you understand the difference between the #1 class in college basketball vs. the, say, #6 class. 

You're spouting football recruiting rhetoric in here and football vs. basketball recruiting is very different. 

Getting the #3 player in the country vs. the #7 player can be the difference between making the elite eight and winning a national title. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure you understand the difference between the #1 class in college basketball vs. the, say, #6 class. 

You're spouting football recruiting rhetoric in here and football vs. basketball recruiting is very different. 

Getting the #3 player in the country vs. the #7 player can be the difference between making the elite eight and winning a national title. 

Maybe 5 years ago. Personally, I think NIL is much better spent on transfers. You buy 2 big recruits each cycle and then 3 or 4 big transfers each cycle.

It's pretty much what Beard was doing. This is another reason why I'm not a huge fan of Calipari's approach. Bringing in 4 or 5 top recruits every cycle is not the model for success these days with the portal. 

Landing the #6 to #8 class with 2 or 3 big transfers > the #1 class with 5 or 6 top recruits. It's a big reason why I think Cal is failing at Kentucky. Cal continues to prioritize HS talent which is fine if landing the #1 class gets you excited. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

2017 Kentucky class : https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

2017 Texas class : https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

Do you see the disparity? Like ztejas hit on there is a big difference between a #6 class in football and a #6 class in basketball. Texas' 2nd rated player that year was just a couple of notches above Kentucky's lowest rated player. Six 5 stars while Texas had one. It's undeniable Shaka did pull in some talent, but he can't hold a candle to what Cal was pulling in year in and year out. Even with the NIL Kentucky is set to sign a monster class, so I'm not sure what your argument is?

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is another reason why I'm not a huge fan of Calipari's approach. Bringing in 4 or 5 top recruits every cycle is not the model for success these days with the portal. 

Landing the #6 to #8 class with 2 or 3 big transfers > the #1 class with 5 or 6 top recruits. It's a big reason why I think Cal is failing at Kentucky. 

Why don't you just start with this argument because this is a much better angle. 

You may have a point here. One of my concerns with Calipari would be that he's potentially getting a little lazy and letting the game/landscape pass him by a bit. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It’s the difference between Evan Mobley and Greg Brown. I think we all can agree those guys are very different 

2017 Kentucky class : https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

2017 Texas class : https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits/

Do you see the disparity? Like ztejas hit on there is a big difference between a #6 class in football and a #6 class in basketball. Texas' 2nd rated player that year was just a couple of notches above Kentucky's lowest rated player. Six 5 stars while Texas had one. It's undeniable Shaka did pull in some talent, but he can't hold a candle to what Cal was pulling in year in and year out. Even with the NIL Kentucky is set to sign a monster class, so I'm not sure what your argument is?

Yeah because Shaka sucked and that was pre-NIL. 

If the #6  to #8 class was the floor with those circumstances what do you think it's going to be with a good coach and NIL? The point isn't that Shaka can recruit like Cal. It's that Shaka was still landing talent here. Any coach is going to land talent here with more favorable conditions. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You may have a point here. One of my concerns with Calipari would be that he's potentially getting a little lazy and letting the game/landscape pass him by a bit. 

My biggest concern with Cal. Even his fantastic recruiting hasn’t gotten him a Final Four since 2015. All that talent lost to St Peters in the first round 

• Hook 'Em 1

I refuse to believe the administration would actually hire Calipari, the sleaziest basketball coach in the history of the sport, IMO. 

He's also not a good coach. 

Not that it means anything, but I won't be able to follow Texas basketball with that guy as head coach. He makes me sick on every level. As far as I'm concerned he's the worst kind of scumbag. I mean, I'm having a rough enough time with Rodney Terry in charge (who is no scumbag), and I only put in the bare minimum in Shaka Smart's last 4 years, so it's not like I'm some kind of true fan who has reached the end of his rope. 

Honestly, Calipari is very close to being a completely amoral psychopath. Not the serial killing kind, but absolutely the kind with no conscience, who has to mimic other people so he can pretend he has any level of empathy towards others whatsoever. Might as well hire a reptile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I refuse to believe the administration would actually hire Calipari, the sleaziest basketball coach in the history of the sport, IMO. 

He's also not a good coach. 

Not that it means anything, but I won't be able to follow Texas basketball with that guy as head coach. He makes me sick on every level. As far as I'm concerned he's the worst kind of scumbag. I mean, I'm having a rough enough time with Rodney Terry in charge (who is no scumbag), and I only put in the bare minimum in Shaka Smart's last 4 years, so it's not like I'm some kind of true fan who has reached the end of his rope. 

Honestly, Calipari is very close to being a completely amoral psychopath. Not the serial killing kind, but absolutely the kind with no conscience, who has to mimic other people so he can pretend he has any level of empathy towards others whatsoever. Might as well hire a reptile. 

No offense but no one here gives a fuck whether you continue to follow Texas basketball or not. 

In fact it might save us 10,000 words of server space every 3 pages. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My biggest concern with Cal. Even his fantastic recruiting hasn’t gotten him a Final Four since 2015. All that talent lost to St Peters in the first round 

This is true, he wouldn't be my #1 pick. Sampson would be that guy if it wasn't for his age, but if he would bring a championship in within five years I'd say fuck it hire him for the short term.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No offense but no one here gives a fuck whether you continue to follow Texas basketball or not. 

In fact it might save us 10,000 words of server space every 3 pages. 

Yeah, wasn't meant as some kind of alarm. I admitted as much. Just posting my thoughts. It would be a gigantic mistake. This guy will leave in a very ugly way. Not as ugly as a domestic violence arrest, mind you, but ugly nonetheless. 

I still don't believe he's a real candidate. Way more likely this is being put out there by his side - the way he always does - than any legitimate interest being shown by UT. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, wasn't meant as some kind of alarm. I admitted as much. Just posting my thoughts. It would be a gigantic mistake. This guy will leave in a very ugly way. Not as ugly as a domestic violence arrest, mind you, but ugly nonetheless. 

I still don't believe he's a real candidate. Way more likely this is being put out there by his side - the way he always does - than any legitimate interest being shown by UT. 

I don't really want to hire him either. And sorry if I was a bit direct I was mainly busting your balls. 

His morality probably bugs me a bit less but I have some serious question marks about Cal at this point in his career. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't really want to hire him either. And sorry if I was a bit direct I was mainly busting your balls. 

His morality probably bugs me a bit less but I have some serious question marks about Cal at this point in his career. 

If there's one thing that's never going to bug me, it's someone commenting on the length of my posts. Don't care. 

Cal does several things very well. He's an amazing salesman. I mean, Mack Brown level, except way less genuine. He knows how to sell. He's a shark, and he's the type who feels like he has dominance over someone else when he's able to convince them to do what benefits him. Exactly like a con man. Like I already said, he's a psychopath. He loves to feel like he's getting something over on someone else. 

He's also as good as anyone I've seen at getting belligerent players to bond together based on an "us against the world" "we're disrespected" type of mentality. I think part of his issue at Kentucky lately is that the players aren't buying into it. It was a heck of a sale when he was at Memphis with the best talent in the country, and early at Kentucky, but lately it's gone beyond nearly impossible and crossed over the line to where players simply aren't buying his messaging any more. Since all he cares about is talent and getting the best players in, and doesn't worry about culture fit, or overall character, it's brought him problems where the team as a whole is simply not as good as the sum of its parts. But his only answer to that is to go out and get more talent. That's his only solution to anything. 

He creates no loyalty among his staff or players. They are all aware he's out for himself. He can't hide that. He doesn't generate trust. The most he can do is convince the people around him they're all embattled by the mysterious enemy out there, so they need to stick together to stick it to all those doubters. He's a gross human being. If he comes to Texas I'll root against him as strongly as I have anywhere else. I hope he fails miserably at everything he does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, exactly. he's not about to spurn them again after having been back for all of two seconds.

Maybe or Miller knows he can't win anything substantial at Xavier. 

Thad Matta, Sean Miller, and Chris Mack all left Xavier for a better job. Seems like Xavier isn't a very attractive job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe or Miller knows he can't win anything substantial at Xavier. 

Thad Matta, Sean Miller, and Chris Mack all left Xavier for a better job. Seems like Xavier isn't a very attractive job. 

so you believe that sean miller would leave xavier 3.5 months from now for the Texas job? 

Edited by shadow_operative