UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

13 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

We really are in a shit hole if peopIe are really talking about that slime ball, underachieving, washed up Calipari.

Dear lord, people.

No one here is talking about Calipari. It’s pretty clear his camp is the one leaking it for whatever reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I’m not gonna hope we lose. Sorry. I just can’t do it. This is one of our more promising teams in a long time. 

Who's rooting for us to lose?  If Rodney gets us to a Final Four then I'll take the "penalty" of him getting the permanent gig.

I don't think there's much risk of that.

6 hours ago, BigTEAMLittleme said:

I still think Tang would be a brilliant hire. CDC probably won’t do it, though. 

"a brilliant hire". 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865gyvdar7cov7dbgz84

steve kerr would be a brilliant hire. jerome tang is a bottom of the barrel option; a last resort. i still cant believe how many of our fans have absolutely zero clue as to what kind of job this is. this is a job that top flight coaches aspire to have. this is not a job where you sign a guy who has, to this point, a resume comprised of one impressive half season as a HC. he is so far below what we should aspire to hire that our fans claiming he'd be a "brilliant" hire is seriously fucking aggravating.

let's also address the, "he'd be a great hire because he's a great family man" take. who gives a shit if he's a kickass husband? what the hell does that have to do with anything? shaka smart seems like a great family man and he sucks dicks for quarters as a high level cbb coach. meanwhile cheaters and scumbags continue to win national titles all of the time. i don't give a shit about a guy being a great family man. that's not a reason to pay someone $5M/yr to coach what is essentially a pro sports team. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"a brilliant hire". 

steve kerr would be a brilliant hire. jerome tang is a bottom of the barrel option; a last resort. i still cant believe how many of our fans have absolutely zero clue as to what kind of job this is. this is a job that top flight coaches aspire to have. this is not a job where you sign a guy who has, to this point, a resume comprised of one impressive half season as a HC. he is so far below what we should aspire to hire that our fans claiming he'd be a "brilliant" hire is seriously fucking aggravating.

let's also address the, "he'd be a great hire because he's a great family man" take. who gives a shit if he's a kickass husband? what the hell does that have to do with anything? shaka smart seems like a great family man and he sucks dicks for quarters as a high level cbb coach. meanwhile cheaters and scumbags continue to win national titles all of the time. i don't give a shit about a guy being a great family man. that's not a reason to pay someone $5M/yr to coach what is essentially a pro sports team. 

C8BAD862-0F79-4B69-8A43-706AB4D1A0FC.gif.1c4e61a4b4b7060e29a5cf52c44760ac.gif

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"a brilliant hire". 

I didn't know who the fuck Tang was until his name started getting brought up here. 

Calipari would probably be a great hire (unless he’s on the outs with worldwide Wes). 
he’s got a great record, he’s obviously gotten stale at Kentucky, and they are probably ready for a change from each other. 
I assume if he and Kentucky broke up he’d go on a starvation diet for a while, work out 10 times a week and maybe get a boob job and some liposuction. You don’t have an ego like that and not take this as a kick in the ass to get better. He’d likely kill it here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Calipari would probably be a great hire (unless he’s on the outs with worldwide Wes). 
he’s got a great record, he’s obviously gotten stale at Kentucky, and they are probably ready for a change from each other. 
I assume if he and Kentucky broke up he’d go on a starvation diet for a while, work out 10 times a week and maybe get a boob job and some liposuction. You don’t have an ego like that and not take this as a kick in the ass to get better. He’d likely kill it here. 

Yeah, in a limited pool of candidates Cal ticks a lot of the important boxes. As stated before there are issues including his age but we are going to lose most of our team at the end of the year and we need a strong presence to keep recruits and pull in portal players. He would also possibly bring some Wildcats with him and he has coached well enough to win a Nat’l. Not too many guys with that on the resume.

I think there are bigger hires out there, but the bigger they are, the less possible they seem.

I could certainly get behind a long term “up-and-comer” but Cal would be the type of splash hire that would absolutely keep the party from hitting pause.

The game last night is a great reason why you don't want Cal here. His 1 and done team would have lost last night. Texas and TCU are both long on experience and leadership. When we were down 19, the kids never gave up. When we cut the lead down to 2 points, TCU ran off an 8-0 run in about a minute. But our kids never gave up and neither did TCU.  The mental side of the game is as important as the physical side of the game.

And to the little t shirt guy who said who cares if someone is a good family man, evidently the U of Texas does and incredibly they outrank even you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

The game last night is a great reason why you don't want Cal here. His 1 and done team would have lost last night. Texas and TCU are both long on experience and leadership. When we were down 19, the kids never gave up. When we cut the lead down to 2 points, TCU ran off an 8-0 run in about a minute. But our kids never gave up and neither did TCU.  The mental side of the game is as important as the physical side of the game.

And to the little t shirt guy who said who cares if someone is a good family man, evidently the U of Texas does and incredibly they outrank even you. 

I'm gonna be honest and say I gave up. My bad guys.

Fail Ewan Mcgregor GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So I guess since cal and others aren’t options and muss isn’t leaving Arkansas then Oates from bama it is? Meh but better than terry.

Why meh on Oats?

.664 winning % at Bama
Won the SEC in 2021 and went to the Sweet 16
Won 2 NCAA games at Buffalo with a .691 winning %

2019 class was #20
2020 class was #12
2021 class was #14
2022 class was #3
2023 class is #23

He can play the transfer game too (Sears, Quinnerly, Pringle, Burnett)

Just beat Arkansas at Arkansas last night
He's 2-0 versus Sampson the last 2 years, including a win on the road
Absolutely smoked Kentucky this year at home

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Although Berque has done a good job keeping the team ranked in the top 15 these past few years,

Berque won a freaking national title with men's tennis in 2019. How he does long term, remains to be seen. But that title should count for something. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

let's also address the, "he'd be a great hire because he's a great family man"

Nobody said he was a great hire because he is a good family man. It implies he doesn’t come with the grenades that Cal, and apparently Beard had.  Beard’s grenade blew up and might set UT Basketball back years. Texas can’t afford to repeat that again.

Texas isn’t hiring some unstable artist to do a one and done rock show. They are hiring someone that needs to be a great coach and that includes the intangibles of not having a personal life that gets you fired well before your contract is up.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

playing devils advocate here, but the only other time a head coach was fired due to scandal/arrest under CDC was Coach Center (men’s tennis) and instead of doing a proper coaching search , CDC decided to promote the assistant coach (Berque) to permanent head coach. Although Berque has done a good job keeping the team ranked in the top 15 these past few years, he has accomplished that primarily with players Center recruited. The jury is still out on Berque until we see how his team does over the next couple of years with just the guys he brought on. 

To be fair, he made that choice AFTER Berque won the National Championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Why meh on Oats?

.664 winning % at Bama

2019 class was #20
2020 class was #12
2021 class was #14
2022 class was #3
2023 class is #23

Yep.  I'd take Oats at UK in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Why meh on Oats?

.664 winning % at Bama

2019 class was #20
2020 class was #12
2021 class was #14
2022 class was #3
2023 class is #23

Because he isn’t a sexy name and I’m an idiot. But that sold me what you posted haha.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

let's also address the, "he'd be a great hire because he's a great family man" take. who gives a shit if he's a kickass husband?

I think Coach Beard has just proved why the absence of a stable personal life can be highly detrimental to success.

It would be interesting to do a comparison of coaching success with the metric being stable personal lives (think Coach K's wife who was a very visible, contributing partner) vs unstable personal lives (think Coach Beard and Rick Petino)

I like Oats & Mussleman as well, but judging by how most of us viewed Shaka's offense I'm not sure we'd stomach a lot of what Oats and Musseleman do much better when we're watching them up close night after night. They're teams like to launch the 3 with reckless abandon as well and can get stagnant with their movement when they're not hitting from outside. The only they do that is somewhat different from Shaka is get to the free throw line (this is particularly true of  Oats and less so of Mussleman). And of course they do what Shaka is doing now, but didn't do here for whatever reason which is force the tempo. 

i'm watching PTI on my dvr and they are *crushing* UK fans for booing Cal, for the Please Go To Texas sign, and for the gofundme they've started to pay his buyout. they essentially said, "he's given you three final fours, a national title, and half the players in the nba, and you boo him? you want him to go to texas? i hope he DOES go to Texas, cuz he'll be right back in the SEC and he can beat them at Rupp Arena." wilbon said UK could go the way of Nebraska football if they do fire Coach Cal. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I like Oats & Mussleman as well, but judging by how most of us viewed Shaka's offense I'm not sure we'd stomach a lot of what Oats and Musseleman do much better when we're watching them up close night after night. They're teams like to launch the 3 with reckless abandon as well and can get stagnant with their movement when they're not hitting from outside. The only they do that is somewhat different from Shaka is get to the free throw line (this is particularly true of  Oats and less so of Mussleman). And of course they do what Shaka is doing now, but didn't do here for whatever reason which is force the tempo. 

I like Oats but his teams can be a bit undisciplined at times.  Bama has had some good/great teams in the past hard to believe they’ve never snuck into a FF, same goes for Tenn. 

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Every program is a coach or two or three away from a deep slide.

Except UK is one of at least 3 programs that has never really demonstrated that. UCLA would be the 4th but they've had 2 separate 15-year Final Four droughts post Wooden. 

Even Duke's history is fairly unassailable granted most of it is just one coach. They just don't have the pre 1960s success that the other BBs do. 

TLDR: excuse me while I weep for Kentucky basketball. 

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I like Oats but his teams can be a bit undisciplined at times.  Bama has had some good/great teams in the past hard to believe they’ve never snuck into a FF, same goes for Tenn. 

i was shocked when i found out that tennessee has been to the EE *once* in their history, and that's it. they've been ready to get rid of barnes on such a semi-annual basis you would think that they had hung a few banners.