Pope Francis tweets dumb shit

bernorange

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I am in favor of any religious person pushing back on the bizarre overlap we have these days between Christianity and guns. 

God loves the AR platform, hippie.  Get a hair cut.

24 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I am in favor of any religious person pushing back on the bizarre overlap we have these days between Christianity and guns. 

I’m sympathetic to your point. But I’m even MORE in favor of Christians not co-opting the government to accomplish their goals, whatever they are. I know expecting the pope (or most anyone since Constantine) to see things that way is a pipe dream, but I think it’s in keeping with the example of Jesus.

Consider that, if weapons of war were somehow banned, that has to be enforced somehow. Who does that? People with weapons.

Is enforcing your point of view, however well-intentioned, effectively at gun point consistent with the example of Jesus?

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I’m sympathetic to your point. But I’m even MORE in favor of Christians not co-opting the government to accomplish their goals, whatever they are. I know expecting the pope (or most anyone since Constantine) to see things that way is a pipe dream, but I think it’s in keeping with the example of Jesus.

Consider that, if weapons of war were somehow banned, that has to be enforced somehow. Who does that? People with weapons.

Is enforcing your point of view, however well-intentioned, effectively at gun point consistent with the example of Jesus?

I think he speaking more aspirationally than about the logistics of implementation. 

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think he speaking more aspirationally than about the logistics of implementation. 

I think that’s largely true. But he did use the word “ban” which implies some authority to do the banning and some enforcement mechanism to implement it.

A number of Popes from the Middle Ages (i.e. Leo IX (1049-1054)) led armies into battle and actually fought in combat.

So yeah, When Frankie over there actually gets hisself in a war, I'll listen more to him.

• Haha 1

The Pope says a lot of crazy shit. Well, maybe it isn't so crazy.

https://www.franciscanmedia.org/peace-dialogue-held-hostage-by-nuclear-weapons-threat-pope-says/

Pope Francis told the group that the “essential” witness of survivors of the bombings in Japan as well as those suffering the effects of nuclear weapons testing are prophetic voices that serve “as a warning, above all for coming generations.”

In his speech, the pope said that when it comes to the ideal of a nuclear-free world, a “certain pessimism” exists and brings with it “considerable expense” as nations modernize their nuclear arsenals.

“As a result, the real priorities facing our human family, such as the fight against poverty, the promotion of peace, the undertaking of educational, ecological and health care projects, and the development of human rights, are relegated to second place,” he said.

Weapons are one of the first humanoid constructs. As far as the pope goes, Cain used a jawbone.  Boom, murder before you get out of chapter 4 in the first book of the Bible. Are we going to ban all asses from having jawbones???

28 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Wow.  It’s hard to believe the Pope of all people could believe something so ludicrous.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

AMDG

Solid.

And where'd he get a wacky idea like that?

Oh yeah...

He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.

Silly pope, echoing scripture.  Who does he think he is, a religious leader?

Last night I had the strangest dream I've ever dreamed before.

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Weapons are one of the first humanoid constructs. As far as the pope goes, Cain used a jawbone.  Boom, murder before you get out of chapter 4 in the first book of the Bible. Are we going to ban all asses from having jawbones???

I think you're getting stories mixed up. The ass turned when he saw the Lord standing with a sword.

When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, it turned off the road into a field.

Edited by Mole

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Solid.

And where'd he get a wacky idea like that?

Oh yeah...

Silly pope, echoing scripture.  Who does he think he is, a religious leader?

In quoting that scripture, more of a millennialist.  It's not a call to de-arm, it's a statement that humanity will have no choice when the post-apocalyptic reign of Christ begins.

14 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

In quoting that scripture, more of a millennialist.  It's not a call to de-arm, it's a statement that humanity will have no choice when the post-apocalyptic reign of Christ begins.

It is indeed a vision of the coming Kingdom.

If you want to go simple new testament....

Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Jesus was a hippie pacifist.  I'm good with Christian leaders calling for the same.

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Historically, and as late as late 1800s, popes were also kings and went to war pretty much all the time. Popes have historically had no problems with guns and weapons-- most wielded them, themselves.

Bible in one hand, weapon in the other. How do you think most of the world was converted?! lol

9 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Historically, and as late as late 1800s, popes were also kings and went to war pretty much all the time. Popes have historically had no problems with guns and weapons-- most wielded them, themselves.

Bible in one hand, weapon in the other. How do you think most of the world was converted?! lol

Are you autistic? 

Me: hm. Should I have a banana for lunch?

Rain man: Bananas are indiginous to tropical climates and grow in bunches of 18 to 84.  

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It is indeed a vision of the coming Kingdom.

If you want to go simple new testament....

Jesus was a hippie pacifist.  I'm good with Christian leaders calling for the same.

Jesus also told his disciples to sell their cloak and buy a sword if they didn't already have one during the last supper. But it's all the rage these days to only quote the stuff that makes Jesus sound more like you want him to sound.

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Jesus also told his disciples to sell their cloak and buy a sword if they didn't already have one during the last supper. But it's all the rage these days to only quote the stuff that makes Jesus sound more like you want him to sound.

Quoted for irony.

13 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

2 swords for 13 men. Which he then explicitly told Peter not to use.

There’s more going on there.

20 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah....you might wanna read the next coupla verses:

And when those who were around him saw what would follow, they said, “Lord, shall we strike with the sword?” 50 And one of them struck the servant[h] of the high priest and cut off his right ear. 51 But Jesus said, “No more of this!” And he touched his ear and healed him. 

If you read the New Testament and come away with Warrior Jesus instead of Pacifist Jesus....well, you're DEFINITELY just reading what you want to read.

There are actually many pacifist conducts that Jesus tells his disciples in the context of individualism; but while Jesus never condoned or condemnedwar, He clearly made it understood that warfare was a governmental responsibility, and they shouldn't get the two mixed up. He clearly understood that wars were fought, it's just that He advocated individual path pacifism while not condemning government militarism.  "Render..."etc. Lotsa verses on thats stuff.

It should also be noted that the first recorded Gentile convert was a Roman Centurion.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....you might wanna read the next coupla verses:

If you read the New Testament and come away with Warrior Jesus instead of Pacifist Jesus....well, you're DEFINITELY just reading what you want to read.

Jesus was referring to after his death and resurrection as the time when the disciples would need a sword, which is why he pretty much shook his head when they quipped that they had two. They were soon to be on the run and vulnerable to highway robbers and the like. While Jesus never condones violence for violence' sake, he never condemns self defense. 

32 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Jesus was referring to after his death and resurrection as the time when the disciples would need a sword, which is why he pretty much shook his head when they quipped that they had two. They were soon to be on the run and vulnerable to highway robbers and the like. While Jesus never condones violence for violence' sake, he never condemns self defense. 

He was also never resurrected. So there's that.