2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Disagree on Odorizzi - a 2 year/$20mm deal for a guy who’s been a decent SP in recent years, to a contending team who just found out it’s best starter was going to miss significant time, was a reasonable signing. That’s not an unreasonable salary commitment for an average-ish SP. 

Its tough to compare to Lunhow because they started under almost opposite circumstances. Regarding CC - it isn’t always easy to get out of those contracts. Shit, look at the Angels this past decade - they flat out lit money on fire with the contracts they gave Pujols, Hamilton, CJ Wilson…hell maybe Rendon now. They couldn’t have unloaded those contracts on anyone. The Marlins gave Stanton away instead of paying him, which isn’t as bad but still an undesirable outcome. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to lock up CC, and I think he’ll continue to be a good player, but there is risk involved in any long-term lucrative deal. 

If Correa sucks and your competitive window is over you send 80% of the money with him to a contending team for a rosin bag and call it a day- while you are operating a forty million dollar payroll. Nobody is gonna her hurt on CC’s 13/330 deal from the Astros perspective as long as he’s very good to excellent then next 5 years. Which is his absolute prime to slight decline years. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Correa sucks and your competitive window is over you send 80% of the money with him to a contending team for a rosin bag and call it a day- while you are operating a forty million dollar payroll. Nobody is gonna her hurt on CC’s 13/330 deal from the Astros perspective as long as he’s very good to excellent then next 5 years. Which is his absolute prime to slight decline years. 

If he sucks (or is just not great and misses significant time due to injury) nobody is trading for his age 32-39 seasons, even if they only had to pay him $5mm annually. And if they did, they aren’t giving you high-end prospects, which is the only reason you’d would be willing to eat the money. So under this scenario the club would be paying him $160mm to play elsewhere and wouldn’t come away with any guys likely to make a difference. That’s the risk. Look at Lindor and the Mets…he has a 102 OPS+ this season, year 1 of 11. If he is around there for the next 4 years, nobody is trading for his next 6 after that, as defense and speed typically decline with age and you can likely match that level of production with guys making the league minimum.

Anyway, I’m with you in that I’d love for him to sign. I’m not particularly optimistic though. I don’t think he’ll quite get 13/330, maybe 10/275 or thereabouts. And I do think he’d be worth that deal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:
Jake Meyers is a professional fielder. 

He made that play look easy

Really impressed with how he runs to spots and gets running starts on his throws. He is like a fundamentals clinic and better yet he has serious athleticism too. Too often you get one or the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

IMO, he looks a lot better although his fastball appears to be quite hittable now. Slider and change both look really good. 

He looks to have lost around 4 mph on it and it wasn't that hard to hit when he was sitting at 98 and 99.

Edited by kevwun

11 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Still blows me away that Luhnow got Bregman and Tucker, both MVP caliber talents, in the same round of the same fucking draft. Lmao. 

That's because he Goatfucked the Aiken deal the year before and MLB rules saved his ass.  Well that and the Diamondbacks not drafting Bregman.

35 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

That's because he Goatfucked the Aiken deal the year before and MLB rules saved his ass.  Well that and the Diamondbacks not drafting Bregman.

I'd say we dodged a massive bullet on that one..

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902125

Cleveland Indians pitching prospect Brady Aiken is taking time away from baseball, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com. The club is unsure if the left-hander will come back in time for spring training.Dec 10, 2019

I

12 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Still blows me away that Luhnow got Bregman and Tucker, both MVP caliber talents, in the same round of the same fucking draft. Lmao. 

That was an amazing draft. Even in hindsight, they had 2 of the 3 best 1st round picks in 2015 and it’s not even close. Walker Buehler is the only other player even in the same breath. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Hah, was just about to post how Tucker has basically been the best hitter in the AL over the 2nd half of the season.

Post ASB:

.342/.401/.652 (181 OPS+)

5.2 WAR despite a horrid April where he hit .180.

Career numbers for guess who...

.344 /.482(!)/.634

A ways to go but getting there....that arcing bomb Tucker hit the other net must have cracked a smile on Ted's frozen head. He was a big fan of the slight uppercut in your swing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Hah, was just about to post how Tucker has basically been the best hitter in the AL over the 2nd half of the season.

Post ASB:

For the year he's 7th in SLG and 11th in OPS - not in the AL but all of MLB.  

54 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Post ASB:

What's funny about that is he wasn't bad at all in April, his results just sucked.  He hit into more bad luck than anyone in baseball that month.  Had nothing to do with how he was hitting the ball. IF he had a lucky April he would be clear cut 3rd in AL MVP balloting behind only the Japanese Babe Ruth and Vladdy Jr. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He and Alvarez are the best hitters on the team right now. Bregman (.377/.435/.574) has been hot since he returned from the IL, perhaps finally healthy.

Ideally you have to have those 3 guys hitting in the top 4 spots. Altuve should be moved to 5th or 6th next year. Lineup is going to be really deep if everyone is healthy. Legitimately 8 deep until Korey Lee gets the call sometime next year.

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I'd say we dodged a massive bullet on that one..

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902125

Cleveland Indians pitching prospect Brady Aiken is taking time away from baseball, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com. The club is unsure if the left-hander will come back in time for spring training.Dec 10, 2019

I mean the dude hasn't thrown an entire of complete inning of baseball in 3+ seasons so the career is officially over.  Not that anyone should be surprised after the medical exam came out.   I was wanting us to draft Carlos Rodon at the time but in retrospect given the compensatory pick went to Bregman I think it worked out for the Astros in the long run.

Now Mark Appel in the 2013 draft that was a Phil Nevin level bust.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I mean the dude hasn't thrown an entire of complete inning of baseball in 3+ seasons so the career is officially over.  Not that anyone should be surprised after the medical exam came out.   I was wanting us to draft Carlos Rodon at the time but in retrospect given the compensatory pick went to Bregman I think it worked out for the Astros in the long run.

Now Mark Appel in the 2013 draft that was a Phil Nevin level bust.

And what’s funny is we could have taken Bryant and still picked Bergman and Tucker. 
Damn, that 2019 team might have been GOAT if that would have happened. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And what’s funny is we could have taken Bryant and still picked Bergman and Tucker. 
Damn, that 2019 team might have been GOAT if that would have happened. 

I mean if you were to re-do the drafts in a vacuum where the best player was taken in each pick it would probably go something like this...

2012 Correa
2013 Bryant
2014 Chapman
2015 Benintendi

Obviously Bryant and Chapman play the same position so you'd have have done some trade to make room since I doubt you'd want to platoon/DH.

We came out ok but yeah 2013 is the wart.

16 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I mean if you were to re-do the drafts in a vacuum where the best player was taken in each pick it would probably go something like this...

2012 Correa
2013 Bryant
2014 Chapman
2015 Benintendi

Obviously Bryant and Chapman play the same position so you'd have have done some trade to make room since I doubt you'd want to platoon/DH.

We came out ok but yeah 2013 is the wart.

Sure, but for me I thought it was obvious to go with Bryant in 2013. I was pounding the table for that over Appel and I barely ever have an opinion on shit like that.  I'm trying to stay plausible and not engage in too much hindsight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure, but for me I thought it was obvious to go with Bryant in 2013. I was pounding the table for that over Appel and I barely ever have an opinion on shit like that.  I'm trying to stay plausible and not engage in too much hindsight.  

Oh no doubt it was a brain dead selection and the one genuine fuckup of the Luhnow era.

• Hook 'Em 1