2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

So glad to finally get the clinch over and done and watch the boys celebrate at MMP.

The past week has been stressful as hell watching this team. Been sleeping like shit and waking up pissed. Though it was extremely unlikely we'd fail to win the division, it would have been the worst collapse in baseball history, IMO. 

This team isn't on the level of 2017-2019, but we're still damn good and have some of the best players to ever wear the Astros uniform. Let's see how far we can go. First step is locking down homefield for ALDS.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

This team isn't on the level of 2017-2019,

I'd disagree but that's my opinion. We were one game away last year in 2020 from a WS appearance. that was fucking impressive. This year, I honestly see us at least making it as far as last year. I like KoolAid though and Ive been drinking

8 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

So glad to finally get the clinch over and done and watch the boys celebrate at MMP.

The past week has been stressful as hell watching this team. Been sleeping like shit and waking up pissed. Though it was extremely unlikely we'd fail to win the division, it would have been the worst collapse in baseball history, IMO. 

This team isn't on the level of 2017-2019, but we're still damn good and have some of the best players to ever wear the Astros uniform. Let's see how far we can go. First step is locking down homefield for ALDS.

I don't think we're that far off.  No we don't have a JV/Cole and we had a slew of injuries but when healthy our bats are on par with any of those teams.

Ford and Sparks were hilarious at the end of the loss the night before last....

After they apprehended that fan on the field, Sparks said

"How much money would it take to get you to do that, Rob?"

"No amount of money. I just wouldn't do it."

"Really?"

"Yep, wouldn't do it. Here's the kick and the pitch, Altuve looks at a strike."

"What about $5000?"

"Nope, wouldn't do it. Altuve is 3-for-9 against Cruz in his career with two doubles. Here's the pitch, cutter low and away."

"$10000?"

"No, Steve not even for $10000. Congrats to Yuli Gurriel -- that diving grab of Wander Franco's smash in the fifth inning was our Daniel's Jewelry Gem of the Game. Kick and the pitch, Altuve chase a slider low and away. He's really had trouble laying off that pitch, Steve."

"Yeah. What about $20,000. Final offer."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

McTaggart has us taking 12 pitches and Grienke out of the bullpen, Stubbs being left off in favor of Siri, and Javier and Odorizzi left out of the pen

What could the postseason roster look like?
C: Martín Maldonado, Jason Castro
1B: Yuli Gurriel
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Alex Bregman
SS: Carlos Correa
IF: Aledmys Díaz, Marwin Gonzalez
DH: Yordan Alvarez
LF: Michael Brantley
CF: Jake Meyers
RF: Kyle Tucker
OF: Chas McCormick, Jose Siri
SP: Lance McCullers Jr., Framber Valdez, Luis Garcia, José Urquidy
RP: Ryan Pressly, Kendall Graveman, Ryne Stanek, Phil Maton, Zack Greinke, Yimi García, Brooks Raley, Blake Taylor

Dusty, re-sign him :

“He’s Big Game Carlos to me,” Baker says amid the on-field postgame fun. “The guy comes through time and time again. He believes he’s going to come through. You take his defense for granted. I’m just hoping there’s a way that we can retain him and sign Carlos because he’s a big part of this team. Not only on the field. But he’s one of the real leaders on this team.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Dusty, re-sign him :

“He’s Big Game Carlos to me,” Baker says amid the on-field postgame fun. “The guy comes through time and time again. He believes he’s going to come through. You take his defense for granted. I’m just hoping there’s a way that we can retain him and sign Carlos because he’s a big part of this team. Not only on the field. But he’s one of the real leaders on this team.”

I Hope Please GIF

I have to think after last night's division clinching winning performance, Lance McCullers becomes a dark horse CY award candidate.

2nd in AL in era

1st in winning percentage.

But of course, Gerrit Cole will win it. Be great if the Rays knock the Yankees out of the postseason.

But I think we want 

TOR to go 3-0

BOS and SEA to go 2-1

NYY to go 0-3

4 way WC tie.

Edited by HtownHorn

Glad I was wrong about Yuli.  I thought he was pretty much done since he looked like shit last season (yeah I know a lot of people did, but with his age I thought that was the beginning of the end for him).  Told my buddy in March that I thought he would be pretty bad this season.  

Hoping he holds on and wins it 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

We aren't wanting to see him is my thought.  If he comes in it is because we are getting our dicks knocked in the dirt and need someone to eat some innings.  

I don't think he has much value on a playoff roster 

Particularly against the RHB dominant White Sox. His numbers this year against rightys are atrocious.