2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Here are the top 2022 FA starting pitchers

Trevor Bauer (opt-out), Dylan Bundy, Johnny Cueto (club option), Zach Davies, Kevin Gausman, Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Eduardo Rodriguez, Carlos Rodón, Max Scherzer, Marcus Stroman, Noah Syndergaard, Justin Verlander

bummer, i hoped there would be some big names. 

Trevor Bauer (opt-out), Dylan Bundy, Johnny Cueto (club option), Zach Davies, Kevin Gausman, Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Eduardo Rodriguez, Carlos Rodón, Max Scherzer, Marcus Stroman, Noah Syndergaard, Justin Verlander

Jeff-Luhnow-sues-Astros-22-million.jpg?q

That's a whole lot of old, suck, or hurt all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Saw a possible replacement option for Correa is Trevor story? Any of you daily know it all posters number 1 foam finger hotshots can give some feedback on that..

His Home/Road splits are bad. HOF at Coors, JAG on the road. I just don't see the Astros investing long term money at the position outside of Correa, because of Leon and Pena.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

100% odorizi will have to start. 

Odo 1-1 against Boston this year.

3 IP, 3 ER, 2 K, 3 BB (L 1-5)

5 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 6 K, 1 BB (W 8-3)

Let's keep scoring a shit ton of runs and he can give up 3 and it won't make a shit. 

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

to me this list needs to begin and end with marcus semien.

change my mind.

I've laid out the numbers for why you could easily give Correa 30 million a year indefinitely. If the thing truly is about years Semien is old enough that this shouldn't be a big deal at all to sign him. Give him 5 years at 30 or 32 million and call it a day I guess. You still have money to sign Tucker to a 5/110 and Alvarez to a 5/90 type deal to buy out 2 years of FA. I can't imagine Altuve doesn't extend.  That means you have a core of:  Lee, Altuve, Semien, Bregman, Tucker, Alvarez, Myers, Pena and Leon for as long as you have LMJ, Urquidy, Garcia, Javier, almost all of Framber's time and Whitley. That team fucks. But Semien is super important to that team unless Lee turns into Buster Posey or Leon turns into a Cuban George Springer.  That's enough pitching if the lineup is good. Bummed about LMJ likely being done for the year. Glad it's not a bad long term prognosis.  Whatever. Next dude up. If the offense keeps scoring 8 runs it won't matter.  Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Greinke, Framber Garcia Urquidy.  Garcia only pitches at home where he's been much better. Odo and Javier tandem with Garcia and Urquidy.  We pray Greinke has a Billy Chapman turn back the clock game in him.  Bash their fucking brains in.  

Shit gets ugly if that's your rotation against the Dodgers. Hopefully they get bounced.  Worry about that when we get there.  Dust ourselves off.  It's all small sample size luck seemingly anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I've laid out the numbers for why you could easily give Correa 30 million a year indefinitely.

we could, but we won't.

i have a whole correa manifesto but i'm going to wait to discuss.  the short version is - i love correa, but we won't keep him, and we'll be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we could, but we won't.

i have a whole correa manifesto but i'm going to wait to discuss.  the short version is - i love correa, but we won't keep him, and we'll be just fine.

If we sign Simein for 5/150 or something I won't like it but it will be ok. If we go cheap or do more dumb shit like ODO I will burn down MMP.  Story would be a dumb ass signing.  Get him out of Coors and he's a spare. 

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

thank god we're still doing sketchy things on the home and on the road or this would be a real inconvenience.

I still think it’s really odd that nobody close to the Astros has reported a thing on this. It’s just been this national guy and some local podcast kids. Not a word from Berman, McTaggert, etc…

Information gets out in ways beyond the team's control with stuff like this.  The local guys will sit on it because they know the Astros want them to.  Berman is the go to guy for every Houston team releasing info because of that reason.  The national guys dgaf.

Edited by kevwun

54 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we could, but we won't.

Same with Springer last year, without him the Astros are still in the ALCS. There are enough FA SS's on the market to get a decent replacement, and you also have 2 in the minors, Pena is likely a half a season at AAA from being ready. I'd rather go get pitching than spend money on the SS position, you need to starters and 3+ in the bullpen.

40 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I still think it’s really odd that nobody close to the Astros has reported a thing on this. It’s just been this national guy and some local podcast kids. Not a word from Berman, McTaggert, etc…

Likely because they like the access they get, and there is now some strategy into holding off the announcement as long as possible.