2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I thought this was going to be about Brandon Backe

After Backe got in that brawl, Lance Berkman was on one of the sportstalk shows and I think Zierlein asked him some question like "What is Backe's deal? How do you end up fighting cops at a wedding reception?"

"Well, the thing you have to remember about Brandon," Berkman replied, "is that Brandon is not an American. He is from Galveston."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Gourmand said:
3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:
Speaking of “wtf is he doing.”
McHugh has allowed 3 ERs since April 17… in 53 IP. 0.51 ERA since mid-april
good god man.

McHugh and CFM sure would've looked nice in an Astros uniform in 2021.

Every single pitcher in baseball should want to play for our organization, even if just for a short while.  We are the "Bama coaching rehab program" of MLB pitchers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And really 5 since they gots to beat us since we win a tie with h2h

Lulz well Detroit baseball just posted a 3 spot on the ChiSox so all they need to do is give up 2 or less runs over the next 6 outs and that jumps to 5.5

I'm honestly far more concerned we will catch the Rays than finish behind those clowns.  Let the AL East have an automatic bid to the ALCS by having to cannibalize to get there seems like the best solution.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Lulz well Detroit baseball just posted a 3 spot on the ChiSox so all they need to do is give up 2 or less runs over the next 6 outs and that jumps to 5.5

I'm honestly far more concerned we will catch the Rays than finish behind those clowns.  Let the AL East have an automatic bid to the ALCS by having to cannibalize to get there seems like the best solution.

Yep. That's pretty much my take. The only team likely to get in that I'd rather play than Chicago is Boston. I think they are ass.  But that means 2/3 chance of Yanks or Jays and I'd just assume the pale hosers.  We still owe them for 2005.

BTW- Detroit is good.  Since an awful april they have been above 500 and sort of getting better by the day. If I were them I'd make a big offer to Correa and offer JV something like 3/75.  They've got the money after years of rebuild and with Miggy coming off the books next year I think? None of their guys make dick. JV would be a good example for the next generation- and I'm pretty sure he will still be a badass too. Correa is self explanatory. IF they did that I'd expect them to win 90 games next year and have a pretty damn good chance at the playoffs. I'd also expect them to have a pretty nice window.  Lots of people talk about the Royals are getting ready to get good but of all the teams that did a tear down/rebuild (multi year) in the Majors in the last 5 years (AZ, White Sox, Baltimore, Rangers, Pirates, Marlins, Royals, Tigers, Mariners) I like the Tigers long term prospects the best.  Then you had Boston, Chicago, STL, Washington, do 1 year re-sets.  Boston I think planned for 2 but they had a good year this year sort of by surprise but I don't love any of those teams long term futures.  

Competitive windows with current rosters looking to close (so they might throw big FA money at it to try to keep together): Yanks, Oakland (not big money but competitive window getting ready to get moved with re-tool in the offseason),  Twins (that was a depressingly short window and pointless if so), Giants (wtf are they doing?), can't think of anyone else.

Then- you have the great now, stacked for the forseeable future- at least a 5 year window contending for championships: Tampa, Toronto, Chicago, Houston, LA Dodgers.  If everything went right for Detroit and we break Chicago and they add 3 or 4 pieces and their guys keep developing they could elbow out Chicago.  

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. That's pretty much my take. The only team likely to get in that I'd rather play than Chicago is Boston. I think they are ass.  But that means 2/3 chance of Yanks or Jays and I'd just assume the pale hosers.  We still owe them for 2005.  

i understand fearing the jays lineup, but the yankees are not a good baseball team.  they have one good starter (great) and he's been uneven lately against ~ competition.  their bullpen is tattered, and their lineup is all or nothing, which is what they've been for a while.  only this season, lemahieu and other annoying hitters haven't been as good.  assuming they throw cole in a wc game and win, i would love to face them.  other than a crazy 13 game winning streak, they're basically a .500 team.

the white sox have some cold hitters and their pitching has been lost lately (and banged up) but the talent is there.  it's a toss up at best, but i don't understand not wanting to catch the rays.  take that shit to the rangers thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i understand fearing the jays lineup, but the yankees are not a good baseball team.  they have one good starter (great) and he's been uneven lately against ~ competition.  their bullpen is tattered, and their lineup is all or nothing, which is what they've been for a while.  only this season, lemahieu and other annoying hitters haven't been as good.  assuming they throw cole in a wc game and win, i would love to face them.  other than a crazy 13 game winning streak, they're basically a .500 team.

the white sox have some cold hitters and their pitching has been lost lately (and banged up) but the talent is there.  it's a toss up at best, but i don't understand not wanting to catch the rays.  take that shit to the rangers thread.

I'm fine with catching the Rays. I'm fine with not.  I just don't want to open on the road, obviously, which looks like it would require a major fuck up to happen.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the Yanks. I think they are extremely dangerous.  And we are 2-4 against them on the year.  One of the few winning teams we have a losing record against.  Maybe that's coloring my perception.  Or the struggle to get through them in 2017 and 2019 when we were really fucking great, wheras I think this team is merely really good. 

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm fine with catching the Rays. I'm fine with not.  I just don't want to open on the road, obviously, which looks like it would require a major fuck up to happen.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the Yanks. I think they are extremely dangerous.  And we are 2-4 against them on the year.  One of the few winning teams we have a losing record against.  Maybe that's coloring my perception.  Or the struggle to get through them in 2017 and 2019 when we were really fucking great, wheras I think this team is merely really good. 

i feel you.  and my vote, of course, would be the yankees not even making the postseason.  but this is just how i see it.

as for 2017/2019, i will offer that 2018 and 2019 were superior (maybe even far superior) to the 2017 champs.  they just were monsters.  the 2017 offense was prolific but man it went through some dry spells*, including most of the games in that yankee series.  we were clutch in that postseason, but didn't seem to stomp on teams offensively as we have in other series.

*dry spells for us, but nothing compared to what the bags/bidge stros went through holy hell.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i feel you.  and my vote, of course, would be the yankees not even making the postseason.  but this is just how i see it.

as for 2017/2019, i will offer that 2018 and 2019 were superior (maybe even far superior) to the 2017 champs.  they just were monsters.  the 2017 offense was prolific but man it went through some dry spells*, including most of the games in that yankee series.  we were clutch in that postseason, but didn't seem to stomp on teams offensively as we have in other series.

*dry spells for us, but nothing compared to what the bags/bidge stros went through holy hell.

19 was undoubtedly the best Astros team ever and if they would have won game 6 or 7 would go down as no worse than a top 20 all time team, but I’d argue top 10 (and too 5 of the divisional era). I think I’d take the 17 team over the 18 team but it’s really fucking close. I’d take all 3 of those over this team, but I also think the Yankees are worse. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

19 was undoubtedly the best Astros team ever and if they would have won game 6 or 7 would go down as no worse than a top 20 all time team...

Also, I will forever remain convinced that had the Astros won the 2019 WS, Mike Fiers never crawls out of the sewer and spits the cheese out of his cheeks to run his mouth to that butthurt bitchass ex-Chron employee Evan Drellich. Howie Kendrick's lucky ass HR changed history in so many ways......

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

19 was undoubtedly the best Astros team ever and if they would have won game 6 or 7 would go down as no worse than a top 20 all time team, but I’d argue top 10 (and too 5 of the divisional era). I think I’d take the 17 team over the 18 team but it’s really fucking close. I’d take all 3 of those over this team, but I also think the Yankees are worse. 

i'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the 2019 team.

that said, after we won game 1 of the 2018 alcs in boston, i thought we were never losing another game ever again ever. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Also, I will forever remain convinced that had the Astros won the 2019 WS, Mike Fiers never crawls out of the sewer and spits the cheese out of his cheeks to run his mouth to that butthurt bitchass ex-Chron employee Evan Drellich. Howie Kendrick's lucky ass HR changed history in so many ways......

I blame Fiers for the pandemic, January 6, the fall of Afghanistan, and much more. After all, all that shit has happened after he fucking squealed. It ruptured the Baseball Code and the butterfly effect has been awesomely terrifying. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Every single pitcher in baseball should want to play for our organization, even if just for a short while.  We are the "Bama coaching rehab program" of MLB pitchers.

The Rays seem to be doing something right themselves