Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

That guy is a jackass, but you guys can’t help but keep giving him attention by pasting his worthless takes here. Can’t we just all agree to remove the oxygen from this asshats shitty little fire at this point?

No. I think it's funny watching a reasonably smart person pathologically refuse to have any fun. You should have seen his Tweets comparing DKR to Schembechler today.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

That guy is a jackass, but you guys can’t help but keep giving him attention by pasting his worthless takes here. Can’t we just all agree to remove the oxygen from this asshats shitty little fire at this point?

If we removed oxygen from every asshat’s shitty little fire, then Surly would cease to exist. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

No. I think it's funny watching a reasonably smart person pathologically refuse to have any fun. You should have seen his Tweets comparing DKR to Schembechler today.

It's funny but I think it has little to do with being "negative." 

BWG has just drawn a line in the sand with Beard and he refuses to admit he was wrong. I still have a ton of questions about Beard's offense but jesus it's alright to admit he's doing a good job of building a roster. 

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Honestly. It’s fucking stupid. If you hate him why even bring him up or give him your time of day?

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There’s a point of diminishing returns on the funny. He gets posted here A LOT.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Tried for a while, but it’s impossible not to laugh at someone whose brain has been so irreparably damaged by a college basketball coach. He gets 0 engagement on Twitter, it’s not like we’re growing his platform or anything 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

There’s a point of diminishing returns on the funny. He gets posted here A LOT.

Part of the issue is that compared to football, there aren't a lot of guys writing about UT basketball besides the completely flavorless beat reporters. It's like if Wescott was the only guy who tweeted about UT football.

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's funny but I think it has little to do with being "negative." 

BWG has just drawn a line in the sand with Beard and he refuses to admit he was wrong. I still have a ton of questions about Beard's offense but jesus it's alright to admit he's doing a good job of building a roster. 

I had some questions about Beard’s offense too, but now we’re going to have a a starting lineup where everyone can space the floor while Allen gets to work the post inside 1 on 1 on a small forward. This team is going to be lethal and Beard’s never had a team that can shoot anywhere near this. 

This roster was looking to be a total shit show and then he brought in 5 guys that are P5 starter quality or better, 3 of whom are all-conference level, in one fucking offseason. And there may still be another guard coming. 

This guy fucks.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Part of the issue is that compared to football, there aren't a lot of guys writing about UT basketball besides the completely flavorless beat reporters. It's like if Wescott was the only guy who tweeted about UT football.

And for the record, you also post every Wescunt tweet that you know will get a rise out of Surly. What is the point of us not following him on Twitter only to see it here?!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

And for the record, you also post every Wescunt tweet that you know will get a rise out of Surly. What is the point of us not following him on Twitter only to see it here?!

We need a bit of chaos sometimes or it's just an echo chamber. And it's nice to know what the most pessimistic of our fans are thinking. Especially with satya going weeks between posts.

I don’t know how anyone can foster any pessimism in this thread right now.

A couple months ago I thought we were doomed for another season of Shaka while we really let the wheels come off before axing him. We’ve upgraded to a championship head coach and he’s recruited the best roster I can remember at Texas. The Chris Beard era is fucking here. Hook em

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We need a bit of chaos sometimes or it's just an echo chamber. And it's nice to know what the most pessimistic of our fans are thinking. Especially with satya going weeks between posts.

Go easy on him. He’s been having a hard time lately. Sark’s got that new coach shine, Beard’s recruiting every elite transfer under the sun, baseball’s the highest seed in Omaha, and our athletic department is going to win the Director’s Cup. It’s a very difficult time to be satya right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

A couple months ago I thought we were doomed for another season of Shaka while we really let the wheels come off before axing him. We’ve upgraded to a championship head coach and he’s recruited the best roster I can remember at Texas. The Chris Beard era is fucking here. Hook em

A couple months ago we were faced with a lame duck Shaka, some freshman and Brock Cunningham.  Everyone else bolted. What a turnaround. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A couple months ago we were faced with a lame duck Shaka, some freshman and Brock Cunningham.  Everyone else bolted. What a turnaround. 

I’m sure you guys have discussed, but it’s just dawned on me that Beard may’ve told those that bolted to start looking around, or at the very least ,”Well. bye” all while knowing he’d just raid the portal in that “chess not checkers” way he’s done…

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Holy shit.   I’m not sure how frontcourt minutes are going to get divvied up (I wouldn’t have expected Bishop or Disu to transfer and then be ok coming off the bench), but this could be a top 5 team next year.

So we are looking at a starting 5 of Ramey, Jones, Allen, Disu, and Mitchell. Bishop is your 6th man, Askew is your 3rd guard. Then you have Benson and Cunningham for situational defensive minutes, and Tyson and Febres filling in at the 2/3 positions to bomb away.

With high min. players 1-7, I see that rotation working for the most part. Tyson will be developed at a good pace considering the experienced depth in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So we are looking at a starting 5 of Ramey, Jones, Allen, Disu, and Mitchell. Bishop is your 6th man, Askew is your 3rd guard. Then you have Benson and Cunningham for situational defensive minutes, and Tyson and Febres filling in at the 2/3 positions to bomb away.

With high min. players 1-7, I see that rotation working for the most part. Tyson will be developed at a good pace considering the experienced depth in front of him.

Especially if we land guard x. Experienced depth there would be nice for a change and upgrading one of Ramey/Jones puts you in the top 5 conversation, imo. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I thought we were fucked even after Shaka left, the roster was such a disaster. I was prepared to give whoever became the next coach a freebie in the first year. Never imagined Beard or anyone else would have this level of success in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Could someone give me an estimate on the starting five and maybe the top three off the bench?

Hard to say a starting 5 at this point, but our main rotation will be something like:

Guards: Jones, Ramey, Askew (possibly one more transfer who could mix in and lead to more 3 guard lineups). Febres seems like the clear 4th option right now. 

3: Allen. Cunningham and Tyson as subs.

4: Disu, Bishop

5: Mitchell, Bishop

we also have that Tech transfer who can get some grit minutes. Allen’s naturally more of a 4, but he can defend threes and his game pairs extremely well with Disu and Mitchell who can both spread the floor.

I’d say our guards are good not great right now. A lot will depend on how much Askew improves form last year, but we might have one of the best frontcourts in the country, if not the best. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So apparently Gerry Hamilton was hinting at the transfer guard being a player that was ranked as the #1 transfer by Jeff Goodman at one point. Anybody else read that over at IT? 

If so, that would almost have to be Marcus Carr. I thought he signed with an agent though? Maybe there was confusion on the agent stuff and he didn't sign? 

If we added Carr I don't know how we wouldn't be the #1 preseason team in the country. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

So apparently Gerry Hamilton was hinting at the transfer guard being a player that was ranked #1 by Jeff Goodman at one point. Anybody else read that over at IT? 

If so, that would almost have to be Marcus Carr. I thought he signed with an agent though? Maybe there was confusion on the agent stuff and he didn't sign? 

If we added Carr I don't know how we wouldn't be the #1 preseason team in the country. 

It's Marcus Carr.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

So apparently Gerry Hamilton was hinting at the transfer guard being a player that was ranked #1 by Jeff Goodman at one point. Anybody else read that over at IT. 

If so, that would almost have to be Marcus Carr. I thought he signed with an agent though? 

I don’t know much about Carr, but from looking at his advanced stats, he’s an extremely inefficient scorer. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t know much about Carr, but from looking at his advanced stats, he’s an extremely inefficient scorer. 

There's some truth to that but Carr is very good. Almost everyone thinks Carr is one of the top 3 transfers in the country. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I googled Marcus Carr. I don’t see any indication he signed with an agent. He did NOT receive an NBA combine invite. He did receive an invite to the G League Elite camp this weekend. 50 players got invited and you can earn an NBA combine invite from there. It looks like he’s a big long shot to be drafted at all. I have no insight in to what he will do if not invited to combine or how he fits with UT. 

3 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I googled Marcus Carr. I don’t see any indication he signed with an agent. He did NOT receive an NBA combine invite. He did receive an invite to the G League Elite camp this weekend. 50 players got invited and you can earn an NBA combine invite from there. It looks like he’s a big long shot to be drafted at all. I have no insight in to what he will do if not invited to combine or how he fits with UT. 

http://sportsagentblog.com/2021/05/11/marcus-carr-signs-with-life-sports-agency/

21 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This is the 97 Florida Marlins.   Beard is going to be a recruiting/transfer portal juggernaut.

You sonofabitch, you stole my line.  But yeah, I got that feeling awhile back.  Only, I think we'll have some of these guys for more than a year......which is nice. 

His use of the portal right now is phenomenal - he inherited a roster of Ramey (barely) and Brock and rebuilt it in less than 3 months.

He will be selective with it going forward since his recruiting looks like it's going to be legit.  And Texas leveraging these recruits with the NLI stuff - we are going to be rocking and rolling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

His use of the portal right now is phenomenal - he inherited a roster of Ramey (barely) and Brock and rebuilt it in less than 3 months.

He will be selective with it going forward since his recruiting looks like it's going to be legit.  And Texas leveraging these recruits with the NLI stuff - we are going to be rocking and rolling. 

Right around 10 weeks to build a top 10-15 roster. Just getting started too, this is going to be fun.

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Right around 10 weeks to build a top 10-15 roster. Just getting started too, this is going to be fun.

You really think it is 10-15? I think this roster is better than that and I'm a pessimist. Last year in March, Texas (19-7, 11-6 Big 12) was ranked #9 and was the No. 3 seed in the NCAA East Region before we got our asses handed to us by Abilene Christian who might not have had a single player good enough to start at Texas. This roster seems better than last year's at most positions.

(Gerry Hamilton) Arterio Morris talks Texas visit

Spoiler

Chris Beard will have a top 10 ranked team entering his first season in Austin, and a staff that can now fully focus on the 2022 recruiting class after juggling roster building and recruiting since arriving the first week of April.

One of the top handful of targets on the board in the 2022 class is point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy). The 6-foot-3 explosive lead guard made his way to Austin on Monday for an official visit along with his mother, and could not have been more impressed.

“Man, it was great,” Said Morris. “They showed me the facilities, the university, where the players stay and I spent time with guys on the team.”

The message from members of the Texas team was simple.

“The team told me how much they like Coach Beard. How hard the coaches push them to be the best they can be. And how bad Coach wants to win.”

Morris said he and Beard hit it off, and are developing a great relationship.

“Coach and the staff took the time to get to know me as a person. Not just a player. Coach wanted me to bet that if Jerrance Howard beat me in one-on-one that I had to go to Texas. You know I won.”

If losing the bet didn’t hurt Beard, the highlight of the visit according to Morris may have.

“The coaches took me to ride go-karts. I ran into Coach pretty good. I think his shoulder is still sore (laughing). He’ll be alight.”

According to the Dallas Kimball transfer, there is one uber important thing he has in common with Beard that is a must with his head coach at the college level.

“I’m very competitive. Coach is very competitive. We are very much alike. I love to win. That’s where we connect the most. He told me that if I come to Texas, we will compete every day and win together.”

Morris was accompanied by his mother on the visit, and she was all smiles.

“My mom’s favorite color is orange. So she was all happy about wearing the burnt orange.”

The one-time Memphis verbal doesn’t intend to rush a second commitment, so while the Longhorns are in a very good spot the visit process will go on with a decision planned prior to his senior season.

“I think Kansas will be my next visit, and then Georgia. I think Kansas will be in June.”

Morris is considered a consensus four-star prospect, but Inside Texas has the point guard rated as a five-star prospect and No. 2 in the state behind his high school teammate Keyonte George.

Texas official visitors in June:
SG Keyonte George, 6-4 (iSchool Academy) - June 4-6
CG Anthony Black, 6-6.5 (Coppell High) - June 9-11
PF Kijani Wright, 6-8.5 (Windward School/CA) - June 11-13
PG Arterio Morris, 6-3 (iSchool Academy) - June 14-16
C Kel’el Ware, 6-11 (North Little Rock) - June 20-22

Possible official visitors:
C Felix Okpara, 6-11 (Hamilton Heights/TN)
SF Emoni Bates, 6-8 (Ypsi Prep Academy/MI)
C Vince Iwuchukwu, 7-0 (La Lumiere via San Antonio)
CG Cason Wallace, 6-3 (Richardson High)

Unofficial visitors in June:
PF Yohan Traore, 6-8.5 (Prolific Prep/CA) - June 13
PF Zuby Ejiofor, 6-8 (Garland) - June 28

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Gerry Hamilton) Arterio Morris talks Texas visit

Reveal hidden contents

Chris Beard will have a top 10 ranked team entering his first season in Austin, and a staff that can now fully focus on the 2022 recruiting class after juggling roster building and recruiting since arriving the first week of April.

One of the top handful of targets on the board in the 2022 class is point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy). The 6-foot-3 explosive lead guard made his way to Austin on Monday for an official visit along with his mother, and could not have been more impressed.

“Man, it was great,” Said Morris. “They showed me the facilities, the university, where the players stay and I spent time with guys on the team.”

The message from members of the Texas team was simple.

“The team told me how much they like Coach Beard. How hard the coaches push them to be the best they can be. And how bad Coach wants to win.”

Morris said he and Beard hit it off, and are developing a great relationship.

“Coach and the staff took the time to get to know me as a person. Not just a player. Coach wanted me to bet that if Jerrance Howard beat me in one-on-one that I had to go to Texas. You know I won.”

If losing the bet didn’t hurt Beard, the highlight of the visit according to Morris may have.

“The coaches took me to ride go-karts. I ran into Coach pretty good. I think his shoulder is still sore (laughing). He’ll be alight.”

According to the Dallas Kimball transfer, there is one uber important thing he has in common with Beard that is a must with his head coach at the college level.

“I’m very competitive. Coach is very competitive. We are very much alike. I love to win. That’s where we connect the most. He told me that if I come to Texas, we will compete every day and win together.”

Morris was accompanied by his mother on the visit, and she was all smiles.

“My mom’s favorite color is orange. So she was all happy about wearing the burnt orange.”

The one-time Memphis verbal doesn’t intend to rush a second commitment, so while the Longhorns are in a very good spot the visit process will go on with a decision planned prior to his senior season.

“I think Kansas will be my next visit, and then Georgia. I think Kansas will be in June.”

Morris is considered a consensus four-star prospect, but Inside Texas has the point guard rated as a five-star prospect and No. 2 in the state behind his high school teammate Keyonte George.

Texas official visitors in June:
SG Keyonte George, 6-4 (iSchool Academy) - June 4-6
CG Anthony Black, 6-6.5 (Coppell High) - June 9-11
PF Kijani Wright, 6-8.5 (Windward School/CA) - June 11-13
PG Arterio Morris, 6-3 (iSchool Academy) - June 14-16
C Kel’el Ware, 6-11 (North Little Rock) - June 20-22

Possible official visitors:
C Felix Okpara, 6-11 (Hamilton Heights/TN)
SF Emoni Bates, 6-8 (Ypsi Prep Academy/MI)
C Vince Iwuchukwu, 7-0 (La Lumiere via San Antonio)
CG Cason Wallace, 6-3 (Richardson High)

Unofficial visitors in June:
PF Yohan Traore, 6-8.5 (Prolific Prep/CA) - June 13
PF Zuby Ejiofor, 6-8 (Garland) - June 28

This is my favorite recruit in this class, hope we can get him.

• Hook 'Em 1