Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

SIAP:

image.thumb.png.23bd18947fe5d5b092119242a2d6b7b3.png

Wesley Yates talks Texas Longhorns ahead of visits

Gerry Hamilton•about 18 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

2023 4-star Wesley Yates (photo cred- Dan Fritz)

Beaumont, Texas – Wesley Yates sat down with Inside Texas Wednesday to provide his thoughts on the Texas Longhorns ahead of official visits the next two weekends.

The On3 Consensus 4-star and No. 29 overall in the 2023 cycle will make an official visit to LSU this weekend, followed by a trip to Texas September 17.

The official visit to Texas comes six weeks after an unofficial visit. Yates’ thoughts haven’t changed since the unofficial.

“The best thing you can show is energy, and they showed that in the practice I watched,” Yates said Wednesday. “The new arena is really, really nice. How they explained everything was nice. And the all-around campus was really nice. Seeing all the players work out was good to see.”

Watching the team up close was extremely important for the Golden Triangle star.

“The energy was good the whole practice. A lot of clapping, a lot of communication and just a lot of positive energy.”

Chris Beard getting on members of the team for not being aggressive enough up close is key in the Longhorns recruitment of Yates.

“They allow guys to play. They can get up and down. They have a couple of shooters, and they let them shoot the shots they want to take. He (Chris Beard) got on the guys for not being aggressive enough, and I liked that. He got on people for not calling for the ball, and being aggressive. And I loved that.”

Beard’s message to Yates

Texas head coach Chris Beard had a simple message to Yates. Come in and be the difference for the program.

“Come in and be a dawg. Come in and compete and play, which is what I do. Be one of the best guys.”

The fact that Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice will be out of eligibility following the season helps Texas’ cause. The duo is expected to combine for over 50 minutes per game on average this season.

“It definitely helps. You don’t just want to go in and sit on the bench, when you feel like you can have an impact. You have to be sure you can either beat guys out, or walk into an opportunity where you go in and play. Why not take the opportunity is what I say.”

John Reilly and Brandon Chappell have key roles in the recruitment

Wesley Yates is a prospect that takes nutrition serious at an early age. He is specific down to the pound of what he wants to weigh headed into the season. That means Texas strength and conditioning coach John Reilly is playing a key part in the recruitment.

“He’s one of the best that I have ever seen. They workout without shoes. He said something about impact with the ground, and absorbing more power or something like that. I have heard it before, but it was great getting more clarification what it was all about. Just everything they do. I do some of that with my training, but it made me trust my training even more seeing some of the stuff they have in there. It makes me feel like he is going the right way with his players, and I’m going the right way with my body.”

The hire of assistant coach Brandon Chappell has been another shot to the arm in the Yates recruitment for Texas. Chappell played at Beaumont Ozen High, has coached in the area and has been close with Yates for years.

“Yeah, it helps. He came from the crib. It helps that we have a good relationship. He’s always been there since I was a freshman in high school, so it helps a lot.”

According to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies, Yates is the No. 28 overall prospect, No. 4 shooting guard and No. 2 prospect in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

SIAP:

image.thumb.png.23bd18947fe5d5b092119242a2d6b7b3.png

Wesley Yates talks Texas Longhorns ahead of visits

Gerry Hamilton•about 18 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

2023 4-star Wesley Yates (photo cred- Dan Fritz)

Beaumont, Texas – Wesley Yates sat down with Inside Texas Wednesday to provide his thoughts on the Texas Longhorns ahead of official visits the next two weekends.

The On3 Consensus 4-star and No. 29 overall in the 2023 cycle will make an official visit to LSU this weekend, followed by a trip to Texas September 17.

The official visit to Texas comes six weeks after an unofficial visit. Yates’ thoughts haven’t changed since the unofficial.

“The best thing you can show is energy, and they showed that in the practice I watched,” Yates said Wednesday. “The new arena is really, really nice. How they explained everything was nice. And the all-around campus was really nice. Seeing all the players work out was good to see.”

Watching the team up close was extremely important for the Golden Triangle star.

“The energy was good the whole practice. A lot of clapping, a lot of communication and just a lot of positive energy.”

Chris Beard getting on members of the team for not being aggressive enough up close is key in the Longhorns recruitment of Yates.

“They allow guys to play. They can get up and down. They have a couple of shooters, and they let them shoot the shots they want to take. He (Chris Beard) got on the guys for not being aggressive enough, and I liked that. He got on people for not calling for the ball, and being aggressive. And I loved that.”

Beard’s message to Yates

Texas head coach Chris Beard had a simple message to Yates. Come in and be the difference for the program.

“Come in and be a dawg. Come in and compete and play, which is what I do. Be one of the best guys.”

The fact that Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice will be out of eligibility following the season helps Texas’ cause. The duo is expected to combine for over 50 minutes per game on average this season.

“It definitely helps. You don’t just want to go in and sit on the bench, when you feel like you can have an impact. You have to be sure you can either beat guys out, or walk into an opportunity where you go in and play. Why not take the opportunity is what I say.”

John Reilly and Brandon Chappell have key roles in the recruitment

Wesley Yates is a prospect that takes nutrition serious at an early age. He is specific down to the pound of what he wants to weigh headed into the season. That means Texas strength and conditioning coach John Reilly is playing a key part in the recruitment.

“He’s one of the best that I have ever seen. They workout without shoes. He said something about impact with the ground, and absorbing more power or something like that. I have heard it before, but it was great getting more clarification what it was all about. Just everything they do. I do some of that with my training, but it made me trust my training even more seeing some of the stuff they have in there. It makes me feel like he is going the right way with his players, and I’m going the right way with my body.”

The hire of assistant coach Brandon Chappell has been another shot to the arm in the Yates recruitment for Texas. Chappell played at Beaumont Ozen High, has coached in the area and has been close with Yates for years.

“Yeah, it helps. He came from the crib. It helps that we have a good relationship. He’s always been there since I was a freshman in high school, so it helps a lot.”

According to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies, Yates is the No. 28 overall prospect, No. 4 shooting guard and No. 2 prospect in Texas.

Gerry Hamilton is the best, with the best access. We’re very lucky to have him covering Texas basketball. 

I will be more broken hearted if Yates goes elsewhere than any other recruit. I don’t know that he’s the most important. Really need some big men from somewhere. But he’s a fantastic fit that Texas has a lot of advantages in recruiting. I’d love to see an early commitment from him to get on the board with this class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What’s the biggest threat for peja son? I used to love watching peja play. Fucking assassin from downtown.

That Rick Adelman coached Kings team should have won the 2002 NBA Championship. The refs fixed Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals by giving the Lakers 24 or so FT attempts in the 3rd quarter. Peja ended up getting a title in 2011 with the Mavs as a bench player. But man watching that Kings team pass the ball in the Princeton offense was a thing of beauty.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Peja is huge.  For some reason I remembered him being like 6’6 or 6’7, not 6’10.

How many high school scholarships vs. portal spots are we expecting for this class?  It seems likes Yates, Holland, and Stojakovic are the guys mentioned most as targets, but there are a handful of other guys we seem to be pursuing at least to some extent.  

Same. I don't see where the internet is getting that Peja is 6'10" now. I definitely recall seeing his height listed at 6'6" during his Kings days. He was the starting SF. PF was Chris Webber and C was Vlade Divac. Yeah, he's not 6'10".

Edited by UDontKnow

41 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That Rick Adelman coached Kings team should have won the 2002 NBA Championship. The refs fixed Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals by giving the Lakers 24 or so FT attempts in the 3rd quarter. Peja ended up getting a title in 2011 with the Mavs as a bench player. But man watching that Kings team pass the ball in the Princeton offense was a thing of beauty.

Same. I don't see where the internet is getting that Peja is 6'10" now. I definitely recall seeing his height listed at 6'6" during his Kings days. He was the starting SF. PF was Chris Webber and C was Vlade Divac. Yeah, he's not 6'10".

Guys lied about their height all the time if it would help them play the position they wanted to play. Shorter guys would say they were taller if they wanted play the 4 or 5, and taller guys would say they were shorter if they wanted to play the 3.

Durant used to be listed as 6’9, and that dude is absolutely 7 ft. He finally admitted as much a few years ago.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

image.thumb.png.824644ecbebf3d4f0be3639c69732863.png

Vlade is listed as 7’1”, which is probably accurate, so Peja & Webber are probably 6’8.5” to 6’9”.

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

I guess he just recently decided to make the move to Montverde. He was at John Paul II in Plano through last season. I'm glad Tre Johnson has decided to stay at Lake Highlands at least for the upcoming season. 

Gerry in response to percentages on priorities

I think Texas takes 4 HS prospects, unless Beard determines to stretch it to 5. That's not his M.O. with the portal and wanting to marry experience with very talented freshmen, but we shall see.

I'll go somewhat conservative on guys as visits are still ongoing ...

Ron Holland - 53%
AJ Johnson - 52%
Andrej Stojakovic - 50%
Samson Aletan - 50%
Wesley Yates - 50%

Elmarko Jackson - 33%

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry in response to percentages on priorities

I think Texas takes 4 HS prospects, unless Beard determines to stretch it to 5. That's not his M.O. with the portal and wanting to marry experience with very talented freshmen, but we shall see.

I'll go somewhat conservative on guys as visits are still ongoing ...

Ron Holland - 53%
AJ Johnson - 52%
Andrej Stojakovic - 50%
Samson Aletan - 50%
Wesley Yates - 50%

Elmarko Jackson - 33%

The only for sure fire guys returning would be Rowan Brumbaugh and Alex Anamekwe. Followed closely by Morris and then Hunter. Beard is going to need a huge HS and portal class if only the 2 freshmen return. After the 2023 class, I could see Beard closing in on a 4+2 typical recruiting class.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:57 PM, Chicken fried bacon said:

The coaches were at Sugar Land Clements this week to see 2024 Devine Ugo.  He is probably at backup plan if we miss on our top prospects.   

Hey my alma mater, we fucking sucked at basketball when I was there but still the only squad to beat TJ Ford in HS. Hakeem Olajuwon's son also goes to Clements

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hey my alma mater, we fucking sucked at basketball when I was there but still the only squad to beat TJ Ford in HS. Hakeem Olajuwon's son also goes to Clements

Every November my kids hear me talk about TJ’s crew terrorizing Houston, I’ve never witnessed anything like that traveling circus for hs basketball in TX. TJ with the ball in his hands was must watch.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

What did Peja do with all of his money?   Shocked that they live in Compton.   It exactly the best area of LA

Compton Magic are one of the most well known AAU teams in the country, literally dozens of NBA alumni. And AAU team=/=high school he goes to.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, RGBIII said:

Hakeem had a son that graduated last year and another one that is a freshman. I have heard from my kids that go to Clements the younger son is a stud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Hakeem had a son that graduated last year and another one that is a freshman. I have heard from my kids that go to Clements the younger son is a stud. 

I just looked it up because I was confused but Hakeem has one son named Abdullah. The rest per his wiki page are girls? Is this like a nephew maybe?