2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

I hate this move. Hate it. A team known for its defense, playing small, cutting hard into the paint, and flying up and down the court until you submit signs Boogie Cousins?? And you might have to wait until February to start integrating him in? I guess the logic is that he'll be a good fit when the game turns into a halfcourt battle in the playoffs, and, I mean, you have to sign him if he's willing to play for $5.3M ($20M+ extra in salary and taxes for them), but still. 

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I hate this move. Hate it. A team known for its defense, playing small, cutting hard into the paint, and flying up and down the court until you submit signs Boogie Cousins?? And you might have to wait until February to start integrating him in? I guess the logic is that he'll be a good fit when the game turns into a halfcourt battle in the playoffs, and, I mean, you have to sign him if he's willing to play for $5.3M ($20M+ extra in salary and taxes for them), but still. 

Stop trying to be magnanimous - we know you're giddy as a schoolgirl inside.

• Like 1

Another pointless fucking NBA season incoming. Just like last 2 seasons. No team will even touch the Warriors. It is July 2 and you can easily pick the 2019 champion just like the last 2 years. How exciting. 

GSW are -175 to win it all. And it’s a good bet. Stupid

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, you're going to get zero sympathy from anyone.  Boo fucking hoo, you just added an all-star for nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Stop trying to be magnanimous - we know you're giddy as a schoolgirl inside.

Check my posting history. Boogie might be my least favorite player in the league. If you don't think that this has at least some potential to go sideways, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by aggie08

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

i'm laughing. You just signed a top 5 big  for $5.3 million to a team that already has 4 or 5 other All Stars. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

Check my posting history. Biggie might be might least favorite player in the league. If you don't think that this has at least some potential to go sideways, I don't know what to tell you.

Biggie died bro. Maybe that news hasn’t hit yet in aggy land, I know y’all are like 10-15 years behind in pop culture news. Sorry man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Check my posting history. Biggie might be my least favorite player in the league. If you don't think that this has at least some potential to go sideways, I don't know what to tell you.

this isn't going sideways. The Warriors have more talent than the rest of the NBA could combine together at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let’s just hope boogie is fat as fuck come February after not playing for a year and won’t be the same player. 

Always a possibility.

Also possible is they signed him just to keep him from going to a potential playoff rival.  Actual playing time is something the Warriors haven't even processed.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Good lord you can stop this act now. The last 2 seasons, you try and downlplay this superteam you decided to root for. At every turn, you break down this team like they are so flawed and vulnerable. They are going to sleepwalk to another title. They are the greatest team put together in the history. No one is going to give you sympathy. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

i'm laughing. You just signed a top 5 big  for $5.3 million to a team that already has 4 or 5 other All Stars. 

A big that goes against most of their culture, both on and off the court. Yeah, it'll probably still work out because they're really fucking good. But they probably would have won it anyways, so it's a risk. A risk you can't pass up for the low cost of an MLE, but still a risk.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good lord you can stop this act now. The last 2 seasons, you try and downlplay this superteam you decided to root for. At every turn, you break down this team like they are so flawed and vulnerable. They are going to sleepwalk to another title. They are the greatest team put together in the history. No one is going to give you sympathy. 

I don't want your sympathy, you dumb fuck. I'm giving you legitimate basketball reasons why this might not be a slam dunk perfect fit.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

A big that goes against most of their culture, both on and off the court. Yeah, it'll probably still work out because they're really fucking good. But they probably would have won it anyways, so it's a risk. A risk you can't pass up for the low cost of an MLE, but still a risk.

Swaggy P and Javale went against the Warriors culture and Cousins is 20X the talent. 

"Cultural risks" is an overplayed narrative. Talent wins. Bottom line is you added another top 20 player to a roster with 4 or 5 more All Stars. This is over. Warriors are winning another tittle unless they suffer a few season ending injuries. Key word is "few" that's how stacked the Warriors are. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Biggest tv markets next year:

california

boston

houston

philly

okc

no fan of any team not named above will watch. I appreciate the nba letting players play and have fun but you can’t have the globetrotters vs the generals in 10 games a week and expect revenue to increase. I specially when one fan base is like 500k people max. 

Edited by Jhawk

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Swaggy P and Javale went against the Warriors culture and Cousins is 20X the talent. 

"Cultural risks" is an overplayed narrative. Talent wins. Bottom line is you added another top 20 player to a roster with 4 or 5 more All Stars. This is over. Warriors are winning another tittle unless they suffer a few season ending injuries. 

That's a perfectly fair opinion to have, and you're probably right. Talent rules the day. They probably still have a 90% chance to win it (maybe even slightly more now), but they introduced a 5% chance of locker room drama, grief over minutes, and very real on-court chemistry square peg-round hole situations that probably wasn't there yesterday.

I'll freely admit that I just hate it because it's Boogie, and his effort and focus is severely lacking even before the injury. If it was any other star (like Tyreke Evans), regardless of fit, I would be ecstatic. But I guess the achilles is why they can get a star for the MLE. 

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's a perfectly fair opinion to have, and you're probably right. Talent rules the day. They probably still have a 90% chance to win it (maybe even slightly more now), but they introduced a 5% chance of locker room drama, grief over minutes, and very real on-court chemistry square peg-round hole situations that probably wasn't there yesterday.

I'll freely admit that I just hate it because it's Boogie, and his effort and focus is severely lacking even before the injury. If it was any other star (like Tyreke Evans), regardless of fit, I would be ecstatic. But I guess the achilles is why they can get a star for the MLE. 

90%?  LOLOL

Sports fans are the dumbest humans alive when it comes to judging their own teams.  

Barring 3 season-ending injuries, the Warriors will 100% win the championship.  If Cousins doesn't work, they can throw him off the plane AND STILL HAVE FOUR FUCKING ALL-STARS IN THE LINEUP.  Stop being an idiot.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

The thing about locker room issues is that they arise when losing happens. The warriors are entering SAS culture territory with how they can integrate people. Boogie won’t give a shit if he gets to take 3/4 a year off and get to flush the ball when it comes to him. He’ll still get max dollars in 2019 and this will basically be simulated games for him to ease back into it. Not a chance he stays more than a year but to get a ring in a rehab year is insane. Brilliant really. Rather than chase a ring for 1.4mm in 10 years he will get his ring now and only sign max contracts for the next 12 years and make $350mm over his career. 

Sucks for the league and the fans but damn. Great deal for him and the warriors. 

32 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Even with no max salary, the players are making so much from outside of the league that it doesn't really matter. See Kawhi's situation and the rumors about the shoe companies pushing him to a bigger market. 

I'm not sure that I follow your logic. Kawhi is an example of someone who is willing to buck a great basketball situation in order to make more money. I think it tracks that he'd be interested in going to Orlando if they were offering him $55M/yr to play there.

And other than KD, Steph and LeBron all these guys are making more on the court than they are on endorsements. Would be truer if league took the cap off their earnings potential

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

90%?  LOLOL

Sports fans are the dumbest humans alive when it comes to judging their own teams.  

Barring 3 season-ending injuries, the Warriors will 100% win the championship.  Stop being an idiot.

I'm curious what you thought their chances were two months ago when they were down double-digits at half in consecutive elimination games, had Houston's best playoffs performer go down, had to depend on Kevon Looney as their only big outside of Green to play competent defense, and "lucked" into Houston having a historically bad, almost impossible run of missed 3's. Shit happens. Leaving 10% for the unknown (including injuries) isn't some crazy underselling.

Edited by aggie08

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The thing about locker room issues is that they arise when losing happens. The warriors are entering SAS culture territory with how they can integrate people. Boogie won’t give a shit if he gets to take 3/4 a year off and get to flush the ball when it comes to him. He’ll still get max dollars in 2019 and this will basically be simulated games for him to ease back into it. Not a chance he stays more than a year but to get a ring in a rehab year is insane. Brilliant really. Rather than chase a ring for 1.4mm in 10 years he will get his ring now and only sign max contracts for the next 12 years and make $350mm over his career. 

Sucks for the league and the fans but damn. Great deal for him and the warriors. 

That's actually probably a pretty on-the-nose analysis of the thinking behind this.

Houston isn't winning 65 games, probably 55 imo and I'm a rocket fan. They had a magical run last year and missing Ariza is a glue guy, is big.  

But there is some truth to Aggie08. Lebron with scrubs should have beat theim in Game 1 and , if so, probably split in CLE and the series goes 6 or 7.  I think KD disrupts their flow but he does produce, but when he's off, GS is beatable in that game alone.

Even without Cousins, I had Houston as not as good, so GS wins the west and then beats Boston in a competitive series. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If he turns out to be a locker room problem they just waive him,  no harm done.