ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

18 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I haven't read in depth about core design on SMRs yet, but at the end of the day it's just a hot rock that makes water into steam and that steam makes a turbine spin making electricity 

Eh sort of - the Seadrift reactor will be gas cooled - high temp helium - that will carry the heat to an exchanger to create steam. But the point being - there's no cooling fluid to get too low, or sudden phase change to contend with. Since the helium goes through a ~500° temp gradient, the design uses the increase in temp to drive the fluid convection to circulate fresh He through the core. 

It is more or less the same cycle, but it's also significantly different from PWR operation due to physical material differences. Hell, just having a neutron-invisible cooling fluid that doesn't react with your fuel makes the whole system much more predictable compared to a legacy gen2/3 PWR

Edit: the NRC filing from the recent approval has most the info I'm talking about here, it's where I'm sourcing from

Edited by Captainant

13 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

What is % of relatively clean coal to relatively dirty coal

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Doesn't much matter, as there isn't much anthracite being burned in the US these days.  So, comparing to the menu of the reasonably available generation options, I gave you the numbers.

Yup. Percentage difference isn't changing much. Natural gas releases between 46% and 56% as much co2 per million btu.  

kg co2/million btu

Anthracite 103.69

Bituminous 93.24

Subbituminous 97.13

Lignite 98.16

Coke 113.67

Natural Gas 52.91

(https://www.eia.gov/environment/emissions/co2_vol_mass.php)

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Eh sort of - the Seadrift reactor will be gas cooled - high temp helium - that will carry the heat to an exchanger to create steam. But the point being - there's no cooling fluid to get too low, or sudden phase change to contend with. Since the helium goes through a ~500° temp gradient, the design uses the increase in temp to drive the fluid convection to circulate fresh He through the core. 

It is more or less the same cycle, but it's also significantly different from PWR operation due to physical material differences. Hell, just having a neutron-invisible cooling fluid that doesn't react with your fuel makes the whole system much more predictable compared to a legacy gen2/3 PWR

Edit: the NRC filing from the recent approval has most the info I'm talking about here, it's where I'm sourcing from

They work the same.  Heated water under high pressure goes into an exchanger to low pressure water to make steam.  It's just heated gas.  The hot leg vs a cold leg of a PWR can have a 140 degree delta T.  

You keep saying SMRs so I got confused.  All that is is a pebble bed helium cooled reactor.  It's not anything new.  The only thing new about that report is the XE-100 fuel.  That's a xenon poison coated fuel.  But right now read the stuff on the bottom.  Where it says not tested.  That's where it is important.  It looks like all of the stuff is computer modeled.  Put something of substance out before jumping to scale.  That SMR also only addresses the primary side.  What happens after it makes steam.  All of that stuff is not included in the magic box.

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably should go in the trivial things that annoy you thread but I don’t get why people leave their outside lights on 24/7.  I drive around my neighborhood and probably 1/3 or more of the houses have all their porch/garage floodlights on during the day.  Turn that shit off or get smart devices.  Every little bit helps.  

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Probably should go in the trivial things that annoy you thread but I don’t get why people leave their outside lights on 24/7.  I drive around my neighborhood and probably 1/3 or more of the houses have all their porch/garage floodlights on during the day.  Turn that shit off or get smart devices.  Every little bit helps.  

Even at night, there's gross overuse of outdoor lighting. Almost every house in my hood keeps lights blasting (front and back yards) all night long, like it will keep the boogeyman away. One down side to energy efficient lighting is that since it doesn't impact the electric bill much anymore, there's no incentive to use restraint.

We need laws to prevent light trespass--light your own property if you want, but if your neighbors can see direct glare from your unshielded fixtures you are doing it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Now let's talk about perfect green grass lawns in Central Texas. I want to make round up bombs. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Even at night, there's gross overuse of outdoor lighting. Almost every house in my hood keeps lights blasting (front and back yards) all night long, like it will keep the boogeyman away. One down side to energy efficient lighting is that since it doesn't impact the electric bill much anymore, there's no incentive to use restraint.

We need laws to prevent light trespass--light your own property if you want, but if your neighbors can see direct glare from your unshielded fixtures you are doing it wrong.

I don't think a lot of people realize that those lights make it easy for burglars to case out doors/windows/etc. and in some cases, leaving the lights on without them being turned off regularly when you go to bed, etc., can make burglars think that nobody is home.  If you feel the need to have a light on, have it on a timer inside.  And steal some home security system signs from your neighbors and stick them near your doors.  

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

Another way to look at it is this. I know where the obstacles are. I can navigate my house and yard at night. 

Dickhead burglar does not. Run into the plants, make noise, that wakes ups the pups. I would rather have dogs than lights. 

I have blackout curtains in the bedroom since the neighbors in front of my insist on illuminating all the trees in their yard. And their lawn is perfect. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Are you guys talking about landscape lighting? My entire setup front and back uses like 50 watts.

I was talking more about porch lights and garage mounted floodlights.  Although people who have backyard lighting strung around their trees up high and leave them on all night also annoy me.  House a couple doors down does that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I was talking more about porch lights and garage mounted floodlights.  Although people who have backyard lighting strung around their trees up high and leave them on all night also annoy me.  House a couple doors down does that.  
Gotcha. I agree that there is a right way and a wrong way to do lighting. Most people do it wrong. One house around the corner has about 150 under eave lights and it's lit up like a prison. I'd be raging if I lived across from them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

ERCOT paid a crypto miner $31.7 Million to shut down during the heat wave.   They made more in these energy credits than they did in Bitcoin.  Truly remarkable business model our state government has enabled.  All subsidized by taxpayers.

Surly needs to setup a bitcoin operation to fleece somebody.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I guess I don't understand how Bitcoin miners benefit the state.

Did you read the part where a bill to curtail bit mining was stopped and replaced with two to encourage it?

It's called campaign contributions.

Texas has made itself an ally to the bitcoin mining industry through credits, but the financial incentives hit a snag in early 2023. A bill to cut off the mining industry from those credits – SB 1751 – passed the Texas State Senate in April, but ultimately stalled out in a House committee.

Instead, state lawmakers passed two mining-friendly bills expanding incentives and cutting red tape for the industry. Those went into effect on Sept. 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

ERCOT paid a crypto miner $31.7 Million to shut down during the heat wave.   They made more in these energy credits than they did in Bitcoin.  Truly remarkable business model our state government has enabled.  All subsidized by taxpayers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/06/texas-paid-bitcoin-miner-riot-31point7-million-to-shut-down-in-august.html

The agency also counts on bitcoin miners to soak up excess power when there’s too much supply, keeping prices in check high.

Fify. 

Conceptually, I understand what ERCOT is doing. It is just a really fucking stupid and inefficient way to pay for more capacity. 

Riot has about 450 MW of mining capacity in Rockdale at the old Alcoa plant. They plan on expanding to 750MW at that location. They are also currently in phase 1 construction of 250MW capacity in Navarro county and plan on expanding that to 1 GW.

In recent months the only money they have made is shutting down cpu’s and selling allotted electricity back to the grid instead. They have long term contracts to purchase at $0.02-0.03 kwhr and can sell back at much higher, all in the name of keeping the Texas grid stable.

C4DEBAD1-6FBD-49DB-891B-9EBFE6CCF41A.thumb.jpeg.cc30fa8b39a8296e6a2f2c98f3e0e52c.jpeg

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

Sunset?  He's blaming the Sunset?  The thing we've accurately tracked to the minute for 1000 years?  Wow, ERCOT.  When you're done gargling balls, lemme explain to you how I know what time the sun will rise tomorrow.  Jesus, how do you guys go along with this taint-gagging.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Riot has about 450 MW of mining capacity in Rockdale at the old Alcoa plant. They plan on expanding to 750MW at that location. They are also currently in phase 1 construction of 250MW capacity in Navarro county and plan on expanding that to 1 GW.

In recent months the only money they have made is shutting down cpu’s and selling allotted electricity back to the grid instead. They have long term contracts to purchase at $0.02-0.03 kwhr and can sell back at much higher, all in the name of keeping the Texas grid stable.

C4DEBAD1-6FBD-49DB-891B-9EBFE6CCF41A.thumb.jpeg.cc30fa8b39a8296e6a2f2c98f3e0e52c.jpeg

any chance they said how long they have these deals? If it’s 10-20 years, $RIOT should be a billion dollar company soon.

Trust Ventures--->2 prominent GOP legislators from water/electric cooperative districts just west of here--->former pUC folks----> crypto mining operations --->next session's proposed bills---->PuC guy's oversight of ERCOT before he leaves office.  I'd mention names but I like that the Governor's former Chief of Staff put me on the emergency circuit in our neighborhood so we're not part of blackouts, just fallen limbs.  They're not even trying to hide this shit anymore.  I'll send you some more detail offline if you want to get truly depressed.

I mean you’ve got to be fucking kidding me.  It is 2023 and I am telling my magat MIL that we can’t put the AC down to 67 where she wants it because ercot is threatening blackouts. And I can’t tell her that she should vote for different people so we could avoid this. Because truth hurts her brain and I get in trouble with my wife. What in the motherfuck is happening?!!??! 

Fuck this state. 

image.gif.6d12220411a09b6fdb246f880dbfb491.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Bitcoin Miners just living the Lloyd Dobler Dream

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fify. 
Conceptually, I understand what ERCOT is doing. It is just a really fucking stupid and inefficient way to pay for more capacity. 

Oh, also, it’s not stupid when you realize that our market design is not designed to accomplish the goal of delivering electricity to consumers. It is designed to transfer the maximum amount of dollars from those consumers to generators (donors). Electricity is just the vehicle to accomplish that goal.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Don’t worry. Bitcoin Pierre is certainly on the up and up. 

I’m pretty sure Bitcoin Pierre was that bastard stealing beaver out of my GGGgrandpas traps up on the Poudre in the 1830s.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1