Why does everyone who doesn't agree in lockstep with everything I do have to be right wing?

Celery Man

Republicans: "We need to infect everyone with this deadly virus that we have no built up immunity to!"

Democrats: "No we should not do that because it would kill shitloads of people!"

Wise men: "We must find the center between these two outrageous opinions!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Not at all. Just present coherent arguments. Downplaying the severity of what happened Jan 6 is going to go over poorly, for example. Defending all the cops that keep killing brown people is another.

You gotta be willing to admit when someone from your side does bad things. And lately, the fuck your feelings crowd has not been good at that.

I've never defended Jan 6. I don't defend all cops. I do defend some. But you guys would rather rage against the machine than discuss reality.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

God forbid we try to find some middle. Continue with the circle jerk, fellas. I'll go back to my hole. 

Hey friendo, you'll notice that you haven't been negged off the board. And in fact, the majority of your posts in this thread don't have any neg rep - and the ones that do are because you're being a bit of a bitch and leaning on empty rhetoric. 

Conservative posters don't get tarred and feathered, but intellectually dishonest goobers blindly repeating what they heard on AM radio certainly do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

God forbid we try to find some middle. Continue with the circle jerk, fellas. I'll go back to my hole. 

You have no desire to find any middle.   If you're arguing that the sun rises from the west and I'm telling you that the sun rises from the east, "finding the middle" is not agreeing that it rises from the south.  Enjoy your victimhood, though.  

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Hey friendo, you'll notice that you haven't been negged off the board. And in fact, the majority of your posts in this thread don't have any neg rep - and the ones that do are because you're being a bit of a bitch and leaning on empty rhetoric. 

Conservative posters don't get tarred and feathered, but intellectually dishonest goobers blindly repeating what they heard on AM radio certainly do. 

Fair. Let's put that to the test. I'll stick around and try to engage in good faith. I won't neg anyone. I won't shit post (unless I think its really funny). Let's debate and try to keep our minds as open as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You have no desire to find any middle.   If you're arguing that the sun rises from the west and I'm telling you that the sun rises from the east, "finding the middle" is not agreeing that it rises from the south.  Enjoy your victimhood, though.  

Thanks, you've been a big help. 

• Fuck You 2

I've never defended Jan 6. I don't defend all cops. I do defend some. But you guys would rather rage against the machine than discuss reality.

This is precisely what I was referring to. That’s exactly what you’re doing, yet here you are projecting your own faults onto those willing to call you on your own bullshit.

I think its hilarious that the posters here are convinced that there is a one-way disconnect from reality after some of the shit we have all seen over the last 5 years. 
Honest question... I would never say that the left doesn't have it's wingnuts, but what would you consider the left equivalent of the Q phenomenon? Before Obama, I always agreed with the bothsiderism, I could always see them equally disconnected. Since then, I just can't see it.
  • Like 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:
10 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Ok, present us with your arguments. Sounds to me like you're the one raging.

Are we talking about ACAB issue? A specific cop involved shooting? Jan 6? What are you wanting me to respond to? 

• Fuck You 2

What is the issue? Police shootings of minorities? 

Pick one. Tell me your honest opinion of what happened Jan 6. Why were they there and what was their goal?

I have no idea what their goal was. My guess is frustration on top of ignorance. The ones that entered the capital should be shown no mercy. I don't believe that woman had to die. I don't think that cop had to die. 

I do believe politicians and media have manipulated us to being at each other's throats, very dangerously so. And I believe both political parties, elites, and media are to blame. If you want to get into the details of how, I'd suggest we spinoff another thread or two to discuss that. 

• Fuck You 2

I have no idea what their goal was. My guess is frustration on top of ignorance. The ones that entered the capital should be shown no mercy. I don't believe that woman had to die. I don't think that cop had to die. 
I do believe politicians and media have manipulated us to being at each other's throats, very dangerously so. And I believe both political parties, elites, and media are to blame. If you want to get into the details of how, I'd suggest we spinoff another thread or two to discuss that. 

And this is why nobody takes you seriously. They were there to Stop the Steal. We all know it. Why won't you admit it? I bet you think the election was stolen, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Shaggy CR was much more right-leaning than Surly CR is left-leaning. Around 2016 when Trump became president, fewer and fewer of the right-leaning posters wanted to or could defend trump, so they retreated to other boards to repeat the same talking points as before in the CR, and to have cover to deflect any critique of what they're saying by saying "OMG CR TROLL!!!"

I ain't gonna read all 4 pages but this is pretty accurate. And it has to do with rep reset. All the insulation was gone. Swam was quickly sent packing. Rocko. FC and then drive-by Tahoe. It would have taken a massive effort to put a dent in the rep of any of them. Then suddenly we started at zero. FC didn't even try. I bet he saw the writing on the wall. He could have stayed in DT and probably survived. Oh well no guts.

I don't know if anyone else reported the thread that Kyle posted in DT. My report on the OP read, "Belongs in CR".  Blam. Done.

I've been reported. Got two warning points to show for it. Got a week long timeout. Earned both.

That knife cuts both ways.

Report their ass. 

11 minutes ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:
I think its hilarious that the posters here are convinced that there is a one-way disconnect from reality after some of the shit we have all seen over the last 5 years. 

Honest question... I would never say that the left doesn't have it's wingnuts, but what would you consider the left equivalent of the Q phenomenon? Before Obama, I always agreed with the bothsiderism, I could always see them equally disconnected. Since then, I just can't see it.

Not sure that there is an exact equivalent. Q is crazy AF and insanity. But if you don't also recognize that some of the shit pumped here by many of the same posters hypercritical of Q nonsense throws up a red flag on reality disconnect I am not sure what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

And this is why nobody takes you seriously. They were there to Stop the Steal. We all know it. Why won't you admit it? I bet you think the election was stolen, too.

They were there because they were ignorant and easily manipulated. Sound familiar? It should, because it's happening on both sides of the political spectrum. I don't care so much that anyone takes me seriously, but I really hope that most will realize what is happening and take it seriously. Very good topic for another thread if we can discuss it honestly. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure that there is an exact equivalent. Q is crazy AF and insanity. But if you don't also recognize that some of the shit pumped here by many of the same posters hypercritical of Q nonsense throws up a red flag on reality disconnect I am not sure what to tell you.

How about you give specific examples of this?  That's how you have, you know, "reasoned discussion," not by saying "if you don't realize this, I don't know what to tell you." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

They were there because they were ignorant and easily manipulated. Sound familiar? It should, because it's happening on both sides of the political spectrum. I don't care so much that anyone takes me seriously, but I really hope that most will realize what is happening and take it seriously. Very good topic for another thread if we can discuss it honestly. 

Right, but their goal was to stop the certification of the election. Why can't you admit that? And they were definitely Trump supporters. We know this because many have been arrested. These were not Antifa plants. I have not heard of a single Antifa person being arrested. But lots of Oath Keepers and Proud Boys have been.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

How about you give specific examples of this?  That's how you have, you know, "reasoned discussion," not by saying "if you don't realize this, I don't know what to tell you." 

You really want an accounting of all the right out nonsense clutched on to over the last 4-5 years?

50 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Seriously, I don't see why anyone dislikes you. You're a commie, and I can't hate how prideful of it you are. Annoying and disagreeable, yes, but unlikable, hell no.

It isn't communism my dude, it is realism.  There are the owners in this country/world and there are the rest of us content to pick up the scraps.  Some of us get more scraps, some get less.  And the owners are very content to divide us into two teams that pay lip service to what we want to hear while continuing to take from us and give to themselves and their very small circle.  You'll note how Pelosi tore up Trump's notes and then voted for everything he wanted, for example. 

Now, in my opinion, one side of the two teams has gone off the rails.  That side believes in "fake news" and "alternative facts."  But the owners are (have been) already adjusting to this by keeping the other team in line as it keeps moving to the right.   To keep my ramblings a tad bit more concise, the division is intentional and it is effective.  The worst thing that could ever happen to the owners would be for folks on both sides to wake up to the reality and what it would take to change that reality.   But at my age I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen. Not in my lifetime.  I think there was the potential at one point with the Occupy Wall Street thing, at least to raise awareness.  But they shot that down pretty well.  The money always wins.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Right, but their goal was to stop the certification of the election. Why can't you admit that? And they were definitely Trump supporters. We know this because many have been arrested. These were not Antifa plants. I have not heard of a single Antifa person being arrested. But lots of Oath Keepers and Proud Boys have been.

Sure, a portion of them were probably there thinking they could stop the certification. Some were probably there for muh guns. Some were probably racists. A decent chunk were probably there because they believed democracy was being usurped, however misguided that might be. 

You are talking about the fringe of the fringe. Shall we go into BLM or Antifa riots and poll their motives? Or should we try to discuss how we got to this point of hating each other and having nothing but binary beliefs on politics? 

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The domestic terrorism that lasted 6 months and watched cities burn, businesses looted and over 100 lives lost was ten times worse than the afternoon of the 6th. 

US District Judge disagrees:

“The defendants stand charged with seeking to steal one of the crown jewels of our country, in a sense, by interfering with the peaceful transfer of power,” said U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly, a Donald Trump appointee, during a hearing Monday.

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So let me get this straight.  Because some of us (including myself) are hypercritical of Q, then we're as ungrounded as they are?  We balance them out somehow?   Because we find and lash out at the lunacy pushed and believed by the Q people as surreal and dangerous, then somehow we are as disconnected from reality as they are?   

That's juicy.  That's like saying we are fringe lunatics for pointing out all the fake championships claimed by aggy.   

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Elite Theory of Democracy:

3.1.1 Elite Theory of Democracy
Some modern theorists of democracy, called elite theorists, have argued against any robustly egalitarian or deliberative forms of democracy on these grounds. They argue that high levels of citizen participation tend to produce bad legislation designed by demagogues to appeal to poorly informed and overly emotional citizens. They look upon the alleged uninformedness of citizens evidenced in many empirical studies in the 1950s and 1960s as perfectly reasonable and predictable. Indeed they regard the alleged apathy of citizens in modern states as highly desirable social phenomena. The alternative, they believe, is a highly motivated population of persons who know nothing and who are more likely than not to pursue irrational and emotionally appealing aims.

Spoiler

Joseph Schumpeter's assertion that the “democratic method is that institutional arrangement for arriving at political decisions in which individuals acquire the power to decide by means of a competitive struggle for the people's vote” (1956, p. 269), still stands as a concise statement of the elitist view. In this view, the emphasis is placed on responsible political leadership. Political leaders are to avoid divisive and emotionally charged issues and make policy and law with little regard for the fickle and diffuse demands made by ordinary citizens. Citizens participate in the process of competition by voting but since they know very little they are not effectively the ruling part of the society. The process of election is usually just a fairly peaceful way of maintaining or changing those who rule.

On Schumpeter's view, however, citizens do have a role to play in avoiding serious disasters. When politicians act in ways that nearly anyone can see is problematic, the citizens can throw the bums out. So democracy, even on this stripped down version, plays some role in protecting society from the worst politicians.

So the elite theory of democracy does seem compatible with some of the instrumentalist arguments given above but it is strongly opposed to the intrinsic arguments from liberty, public justification and equality. Against the liberty and equality arguments, the elite theory simply rejects the possibility that citizens can participate as equals. The society must be ruled by elites and the role of citizens is merely to ensure smooth and peaceful circulation of elites. Against the public justification view, ordinary citizens cannot be expected to participate in public deliberation and the views of elites ought not to be fundamentally transformed by general public deliberation. To be sure, it is conceivable for all that has been said that there can be an elite deliberative democracy wherein elites deliberate, perhaps even out of sight of the population at large, on how to run the society. Indeed, some deliberative democrats do emphasize deliberation in legislative assemblies though in general deliberative democrats favor a more broadly egalitarian approach to deliberation, which is vulnerable to the kinds of worries raised by Schumpeter and Downs.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/democracy/

Sure, a portion of them were probably there thinking they could stop the certification. Some were probably there for muh guns. Some were probably racists. A decent chunk were probably there because they believed democracy was being usurped, however misguided that might be. 
You are talking about the fringe of the fringe. Shall we go into BLM or Antifa riots and poll their motives? Or should we try to discuss how we got to this point of hating each other and having nothing but binary beliefs on politics? 
I can tell you how we got there. Social media and tribalism. Everyone has their team and their echo chamber. And it's only getting worse.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Good for you man. Making a difference!

You're doing an outstanding job with this:

47 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

Fair. Let's put that to the test. I'll stick around and try to engage in good faith. I won't neg anyone. I won't shit post (unless I think its really funny). Let's debate and try to keep our minds as open as possible. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I can tell you how we got there. Social media and tribalism. Everyone has their echo chamber. And it's only getting worse.

I absolutely agree. I've followed this board for over a decade and through the name changes. The CR is an echo chamber now and nobody wants to admit it. So is Texags. That bothers me. I know there is much more productive and thoughtful conversation to be had here. Texags...that's just who they are. 

As far as sports related forums, surly is brighter than most. Open this thing up. Get rid of rep in CR. Don't tolerate shit posting, and lets talk about how we fix the shit that is wrong with this country. My kids and grandkids will have to live here after I die. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Ridingtosunset said:

I absolutely agree. I've followed this board for over a decade and through the name changes. The CR is an echo chamber now and nobody wants to admit it. So is Texags. That bothers me. I know there is much more productive and thoughtful conversation to be had here. Texags...that's just who they are. 

As far as sports related forums, surly is brighter than most. Open this thing up. Get rid of rep in CR. Don't tolerate shit posting, and lets talk about how we fix the shit that is wrong with this country. My kids and grandkids will have to live here after I die. 

You have literally yet to make a productive or thoughtful post in this thread.  

19 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

It isn't communism my dude, it is realism.  There are the owners in this country/world and there are the rest of us content to pick up the scraps.  Some of us get more scraps, some get less.  And the owners are very content to divide us into two teams that pay lip service to what we want to hear while continuing to take from us and give to themselves and their very small circle.  You'll note how Pelosi tore up Trump's notes and then voted for everything he wanted, for example. 

Now, in my opinion, one side of the two teams has gone off the rails.  That side believes in "fake news" and "alternative facts."  But the owners are (have been) already adjusting to this by keeping the other team in line as it keeps moving to the right.   To keep my ramblings a tad bit more concise, the division is intentional and it is effective.  The worst thing that could ever happen to the owners would be for folks on both sides to wake up to the reality and what it would take to change that reality.   But at my age I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen. Not in my lifetime.  I think there was the potential at one point with the Occupy Wall Street thing, at least to raise awareness.  But they shot that down pretty well.  The money always wins.

I personally think the government is the enemy of the people, not business owners. Hell, a bunch of reddit autist with diamond hands hurt the rich by using the power of capitalism. Everyone was on their side, and some poorer people made some money out of it.