Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

On 12/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, victory88 said:

I find it hard sometimes when the casual fan can pin point problematic areas yet coaches can't see the glaring problems. 

Fans pinpoint just about everything as a glaring problem at one time or another. Every once in awhile they're right.

It's a numbers game. Vanity makes us remember only the times we were correct.

• Hook 'Em 3

HudsonStandish

After not signing with the Georgia Bulldogs in the early signing period, Texas has been in contact with 2022 Kinkaid ATH Dillon Bell.

Bell, who committed to Georgia on August 2nd over offers from Michigan, Texas A&M, and Penn State caught up with On3's @timverghese after a training session in Houston yesterday.

"The schools that have reached out have been Florida, Michigan, Houston, and Texas," said Bell. "I decided not to sign in the early period after talking with my coaches."

While some have speculated that Bell might get processed from the 2022 Georgia class, the On3 high three-star maintains he's locked in with the Dawgs.

"I'm locked in with Georgia still," Dillon Bell told On3. "I have a great relationship with Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach (Cortez) Hankton, Georgia definitely feels like home."

Dillon's younger brother 2023 ATH Micah Bell recently picked up an offer from Texas, and Dillon shared what advice he's given since Micah's recruitment got started.

"The main three things are to remain patient, trust God, and keep working out every day," said Bell. "Get up early and don't get lazy, that is what will prepare you for the next level. We push each other every day."

A source told Inside Texas that the Horns are pushing for Dillon to take a visit to Austin with his family in January. If that visit takes place things should start to pick up with the 6-foot-2 athlete out of Houston. In addition to the Horns, Florida and Michigan are both pushing hard for visits to get a NSD2 flip.

I will say one thing on Cam Williams.. he is a big basketball player who happens to have started playing football, not the other way around. He's a terrific athlete and according to Dallas area coaches he is a borderline 5 star player not a 3 star type. Many think he will be ready to play day one with a good coach. Plus Derrius Terrell who coaches at desoto has said that hes a legit 6'7 and he might still grow and that he is the biggest heaviest person he's ever seen who does not have any knee problems. He pointed out that Willams doesn't wear a knee brace. Also, Terrell said that Neto might be an elite center prospect, not sure if i've seen anyone mention that before. This O-Line haul is unreal.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I will say one thing on Cam Williams.. he is a big basketball player who happens to have started playing football, not the other way around. He's a terrific athlete and according to Dallas area coaches he is a borderline 5 star player not a 3 star type. Many think he will be ready to play day one with a good coach. Plus Derrius Terrell who coaches at desoto has said that hes a legit 6'7 and he might still grow and that he is the biggest heaviest person he's ever seen who does not have any knee problems. He pointed out that Willams doesn't wear a knee brace. Also, Terrell said that Neto might be an elite center prospect, not sure if i've seen anyone mention that before. This O-Line haul is unreal.

I think some have mentioned he may jump into the On3 top 100 with their next update. Guess we will see.

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I've been wondering if any of the Campbell, Neto, and Agbo group crosstrain at center, as a potential way to get the best five onto the field in the future. We already think that Robertson and Hutson will work at center, but I'm wondering if one of the others does too?

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I've been wondering if any of the Campbell, Neto, and Agbo group crosstrain at center, as a potential way to get the best five onto the field in the future. We already think that Robertson and Hutson will work at center, but I'm wondering if one of the others does too?

That's an interesting thought. Campbells athleticism from the C position would allow some really cool stuff to happen offensive scheme wise.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The question is whether he sees Burke at #4 as an indictment on the class. It also depends on where he sees All-conference, starters, contributors and others being laid out. That’s really the analysis he should be providing giving he probably didn’t watch most of these kids himself to make a true list. Having Blue and Murphy at those two positions would make me think he hates this class. If he says otherwise, he is trying to have it both ways. 

I think you've missed the mark by quite a bit. I think almost anyone would put Murphy back a little based simply on how big of a project he is. Then factor in that Bobby may not believe he actually ever starts at Texas (or for long), not because he won't be good enough, but because Arch will be the one who ultimately succeeds Ewers. These are all factors Bobby considers, I'm sure.

As for the Burke point, why can't the guy just really like a kid that continued to dominate en route to a 6A state championship, and who will most likely finish a 4 star? We're acting like the kid's a *PWO or something.

*he's for sure not a prisoner of war.

Edited by UncleBuck

The thing to like with Burke is he has a clean projection in this defense playing on the edge once he adds 25-30 pounds (which will be easy for him). A guy like Finkley is going to be able to play earlier and may be ranked higher, but he's a tweener who will need to avoid the buffet line in the dining hall.

15 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Terrell was also a huge fan of Hayden Connor and thought he would surprise some. He was right on in that evaluation.

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think you've missed the mark by quite a bit. I think almost anyone would put Murphy back a little based simply on how big of a project he is. Then factor in that Bobby may not believe he actually ever starts at Texas (or for long), not because he won't be good enough, but because Arch will be the one who ultimately succeeds Ewers. These are all factors Bobby considers, I'm sure.

Counting them chickens, I see. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed. Any chance he offered some commentary on any of the players he ranked for this class?

Corona distorted the cycle and the rankings likely have more variability in them than most across all of the recruiting sites. Burke is a guy that would have been covered much earlier in a normal cycle. 

Burke at 4 is easy. Think of how long his wingspan is going to be when he puts on some weight. Easy 84", maybe 90". Gonna have to get the guy some gloves from his knuckles dragging on the ground like some sort of ape. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Counting them chickens, I see. 

Not me counting. But if Bobby does believe that Arch is in the '23 class, then I can see him forecasting out his opinion on Murphy's value at Texas. I mean, even in his explanations further down he mentions how much can happen in the time between players signing and when it comes time for them to be getting their chance.

Edited by UncleBuck

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

As for the Burke point, why can't the guy just really like a kid that continued to dominate en route to a 6A state championship, and who will most likely finish a 4 star? We're acting like the kid's a POW or something.

As one of his first cheerleaders after the crystal ball, I can see the high ceiling. But he and Maalik are pretty similar prospects and therefore really odd to have them that far apart. Maalik led a bad team pretty far in the playoffs. They both have a lot to overcome to become starters. To say that Burke has no obstacles would be dumb. It just seems like he said two different things about the same type of prospect. Maybe because he  saw one more than the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

As for the Burke point, why can't the guy just really like a kid that continued to dominate en route to a 6A state championship, and who will most likely finish a 4 star? We're acting like the kid's a POW or something.

Just imagine what happens to this kid when he starts getting 3 meals a day

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's an interesting thought. Campbells athleticism from the C position would allow some really cool stuff to happen offensive scheme wise.

Robertson is a true center. Hutson is an EE and will get every opportunity to take the spot right away. Literally everyone else in this class save Agbo could theoretically give it a try. I’m interested to see if Angilau moves to Center in order to give Neto/Campbell/ Williams/Karic/Conner/ Or maybe even C.Jones? a shot to play guard. I know he’s a returning starter but it’s hard for me to see Majors starting next year unless he freaking kills it in the weight room this offseason. Hutson is a mauler and is already 320 pounds, so we shall see… all of a sudden it seems like we have an abundance of riches in the O line or at the very least, some real competition. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

As one of his first cheerleaders after the crystal ball, I can see the high ceiling. But he and Maalik are pretty similar prospects and therefore really odd to have them that far apart. Maalik led a bad team pretty far in the playoffs. They both have a lot to overcome to become starters. To say that Burke has no obstacles would be dumb. It just seems like he said two different things about the same type of prospect. Maybe because he  saw one more than the other.

This is where I'm at. I think Bobby is anchoring to the Tyrone Swoopes experience and Maalik is a much more polished prospect that Swoopes was at this stage. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

From what I know about Bobby, small chance he's being that regarded.

I think very highly of him as well but he's not immune to being biased. I have no problem with Burke being higher because he has an easier road to start (just eat and weight room) but to have the gap be that big is a head scratcher. Neither of them are ready to play until at least after a redshirt year. 

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think very highly of him as well but he's not immune to being biased. I have no problem with Burke being higher because he has an easier road to start (just eat and weight room) but to have the gap be that big is a head scratcher. Neither of them are ready to play until at least after a redshirt year. 

I guess I just don't see them being as comparable as you guys do. That's fine, I guess.

38 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

image.thumb.png.fe87f2e6d24104a8645155a5339da98f.png

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is where I'm at. I think Bobby is anchoring to the Tyrone Swoopes experience and Maalik is a much more polished prospect that Swoopes was at this stage. 

image.thumb.png.4ae079ed5d99443e23cd5f5536e9f831.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Burke at 4 is easy. Think of how long his wingspan is going to be when he puts on some weight. Easy 84", maybe 90". Gonna have to get the guy some gloves from his knuckles dragging on the ground like some sort of ape. 

Part of my doubts on him is they also have  DE that many feel is better. The idea of Westlake having 2 Kids that are national prospects at DE seems unlikely to me. The other issue is positional fit. I dont see him as a guy that can play OLB in PK's system. I dont see that kind of athleticism. 

Edited by Codaxx

17 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

What game do they play after the state championship? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Robertson is a true center. Hutson is an EE and will get every opportunity to take the spot right away. Literally everyone else in this class save Agbo could theoretically give it a try. I’m interested to see if Angilau moves to Center in order to give Neto/Campbell/ Williams/Karic/Conner/ Or maybe even C.Jones? a shot to play guard. I know he’s a returning starter but it’s hard for me to see Majors starting next year unless he freaking kills it in the weight room this offseason. Hutson is a mauler and is already 320 pounds, so we shall see… all of a sudden it seems like we have an abundance of riches in the O line or at the very least, some real competition. 

Hutson is an EE and is physically ready, but playing in the flexbone means he likely has quite a bit of technical growth ahead of him before he's ready to take a spot right away 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hutson is an EE and is physically ready, but playing in the flexbone means he likely has quite a bit of technical growth ahead of him before he's ready to take a spot right away 

Thats why coming in early is so huge, hes already there as a run blocker, nobody knows what he's like in pass pro but at his size that shouldn't be an issue at Center. Junior Angilau was in the exact same spot as Hutson, Big Nasty maulers in an option offense with no pass pro exp and early enrollees. Angilau has been a day one starter. I think Hutson could do the same.

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Thats why coming in early is so huge, hes already there as a run blocker, nobody knows what he's like in pass pro but at his size that shouldn't be an issue at Center. Junior Angilau was in the exact same spot as Hutson, Big Nasty maulers in an option offense with no pass pro exp and early enrollees. Angilau has been a day one starter. I think Hutson could do the same.

Angilau didn't have have to beat out an entrenched starter at a position he's never played before 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Angilau didn't have have to beat out an entrenched starter at a position he's never played before 

Majors is far from an "entrenched starter" He was just our only option man. He played so poorly at times that if there was another viable option I promise he would have been benched. His play during the OU-Okie lite- Baylor stretch of the season was piss poor. He got bullied. There's hope that Flood will continue to develop him and that he will grow from his experience this year and make strides in the weight room this offseason, but I promise you that nobody in the coaches office is penciling him in as a starter right now. He's going to have to compete to with that job in the fall.

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Majors is far from an "entrenched starter" He was just our only option man. He played so poorly at times that if there was another viable option I promise he would have been benched. His play during the OU-Okie lite- Baylor stretch of the season was piss poor. He got bullied. There's hope that Flood will continue to develop him and that he will grow from his experience this year and make strides in the weight room this offseason, but I promise you that nobody in the coaches office is penciling him in as a starter right now. He's going to have to compete to with that job in the fall.

If his competition is Hutson, then yes he's penciled in as a starter

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is why we need to go after the Virginia Center in the portal IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Anyone know how fast Jaydon Blue is? Everyone says he has great hands. I wonder if he has the ability to play slot for us?

Has a PR of 10.7 in the 100m - so, yes, he's plenty fast enough to play out of the slot.  Though I'd rather keep him in the backfield and use him to exploit the defense in the passing game from there.

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Anyone know how fast Jaydon Blue is? Everyone says he has great hands. I wonder if he has the ability to play slot for us?

I know how fast he was. No idea if he's kept his speed after fucking off for about a year 

If you're talking about lining him up in the slot from the running back position, then yes he has that ability. If you're talking about moving him to WR full time, I think we're better off trying to land elite WR prospects and playing them in the slot

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting