Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

35 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The year is 2029....Its opening day at Death Valley, and the stadium is filled to its 126,843 capacity. All in orange. All waving orange flags. They cheer for their Tigers, celebrating the back to back national championships, and 4 out of the last 8 national championships. They are a dynasty. The media speculates "is this the greatest team ever?" Clemson, synonomous with "college football", is the envy of every other program in America.

The Four Horseman, Cherone Peak, Martravias Bryant, Mike Bellamy and of course Sammy Watkins, are in attendance. Dabo has always credited them with being the Spark that turned around Clemson’s fortune. Though Clemson never actually won a national title while they were there, the 3 ACC championships they won put Clemson squarely back in the mix for the national title hunt from their perch on top of the ACC.

Watkins, being Clemson's first Heisman Trophy winner and first #1 pick was greeted with roar, many still wearing his retired #1 jersey. Bellamy, a two-time NFL MVP and first ballot Hall of Famer raised his hand to the crowd, and nearly blinded all from the shine of his 4 super bowl rings. Peake and Bryant recently retired from the NFL as annual pro-bowlers and defining Clemson's new reputation as "Wide Reciever U".

Just beside the four horseman, are three former Tiger walk-ons: Will Swinney, Drew Swinney, and Clay Swinney. Will is now an assistant coach at Alabama. Drew, a successful attorney in Atlanta. And Clay, who defied the odds and is now a starting wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans. They stand there, in awe. Tears flowing from their face as they think back to all the practices, hours in the weight room, and tough victories over ACC foes. They are all champions. It has all come to this. This one moment. They know this is what they worked for. They know what it feels like to achieve your dream.

Then...an announcement is made, and a banner is dropped...

The West Zone will be renamed...the Dabo Swinney Zone. Suddenly, 126,843 chant "Dabo! Dabo!" at the top of their lungs, and thank God that they were patient with Dabo. He asked for patience. He delivered.

Clemson.

Silly as this is, at least Clemson did go on to win multiple national championships and Dabo will get his name on some shit around campus. They're so much closer to this outcome than any normal human would have predicted.

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is must watch. I laughed my ass off watching this 

I gosh, me too. A lot of those guys he's abusing look small, but I guess everyone does compared to him.

Can't say I've ever seen an OL murdering people so hard that his helmet keeps flying off.  Mercy.

2 hours ago, cdain3 said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'm no expert, obviously far from it but he's got pretty impressive balance for his size, moves well (the play where he flares out to kick out the edge), and has violent hands.  Obviously as big as he is he can just wait for people to come to him but seeing him seek and destroy on the second level, drop into a pass blocking stance and catch the rusher and then plant him on the ground and generally bully people warms my heart.  I honestly felt a little bad for the defenders he pancaked repeatedly.  He's likely a guy that still has a pretty high ceiling in terms of functional strength and needs to reshape his body a little but there's no reason to think he's really a starting right tackle or possibly a guard in 2023.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He seems to like contact.  If he needs technical work fine, but I love the idea of using him as a blocking fullback on a goal line set and sending him through the hole while some poor bastard tries to take him on.

Banks or Campbell would be much better as an OL playing FB.  Both of them are very fast for their size.  Williams isn’t fast at all. 

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The clip starting at 38 seconds where the defender literally runs all the way to the opposite sideline just to get away from Williams (even though the play is a counter handoff back to the other side) and then ends up getting pancaked anyway just became my favorite highlight of all time.

So Gabe Brooks has watched these highlights. He has seen how big, strong, and agile (for his size) Williams is.

He has intentionally kept Williams a 3 star because maybe his tremendous wingspan is because his shoulders are wide. Spoiler: his shoulders are not disproportionately wide for his height. 

Look, forecasting OL is hard. Especially a guy like Williams because you don't know if he'll be committed enough to S&C, etc. But that is not a 3 star. Those opponents are in DFW 6A football. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Mike at Night: Thoughts on prospects from Texas state championship week

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts on prospects from Texas state championship week

Mike Roach

Cameron Williams, OL, Duncanville

I’ve always been somewhat skeptical of Williams because of his massive size, but he proved two things to me this year. Williams dropped a good bit of weight and started to re-shape his body, and he showed improved flexibility. While Duncanville struggled against the defensive front of North Shore, I thought Williams was a bright spot often moving to the second level. If the Texas strength staff can continue to re-shape his body, they’ve got a mountain of potential to work with.

Omari Abor, EDGE, Duncanville

Abor is an absolute menace at times and he proved that several times as he put the pressure on the North Shore offense. Abor is probably at his best playing in a stand up role on the edge where he could stay a bit more out of the fray and use his athleticism to run sideline-to-sideline.

Kristopher Ross, DL, North Shore

Ross has been an incredibly solid player every time I’ve seen him on the field. A versatile playmaker who can play up and down the line, Ross showed a great motor to go along with that athleticism as the North Shore defense pushed around a vaunted Duncanville offensive line. Ross was strong once again moving across the front and showed a little bit of everything.

Connor Robertson, OL, Austin Westlake

Westlake’s offensive line struggled a bit in the first half, but they picked it up in the second. Robertson was solid once again paving openings in the running game and showing good pass-blocking ability. Robertson has been banged up all year with several different injuries, and some time off to heal will do him some good.

Ethan Burke, EDGE, Austin Westlake

Burke was an absolute menace pressuring the Guyer offense. A long and twitchy prospect, Burke will need some time in the weight room once he gets to college, but he showed the athleticism and quickness to stay on the edge. He and teammate Colton Vasek were impossible for Guyer to block.

Again, how is he only a 3* on 247?

Kristopher Ross, DL, North Shore

Ross has been an incredibly solid player every time I’ve seen him on the field. A versatile playmaker who can play up and down the line, Ross showed a great motor to go along with that athleticism as the North Shore defense pushed around a vaunted Duncanville offensive line. Ross was strong once again moving across the front and showed a little bit of everything.

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, RabidM said:

He is a freakish athlete for his size.  He can definitely play outside with good S&C.  That would allow Campbell and Neto to form one of the most athletic pulling guard combos in the country.  That is not a 3 star player. 

Cam has elite feet for a guy that big, and dudes bounce off of him like he is made of rubber. My only complaint is that he plays way too high, likely because he doesn't need to get his pad level down when you weigh 100 lbs more than everyone else. Flood will need to coach that up, but otherwise this kid has a chance to be a difference maker when he cleans up the technique. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The clip starting at 38 seconds where the defender literally runs all the way to the opposite sideline just to get away from Williams (even though the play is a counter handoff back to the other side) and then ends up getting pancaked anyway just became my favorite highlight of all time.

My favorite highlight of the year is Banks pulling like he was shot out of a cannon and putting the blitzing linebacker into a fetal position at midfield. 

1:02 mark of this:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11699844/61ada994dfd826071c9ef4bb

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Cam has elite feet for a guy that big, and dudes bounce off of him like he is made of rubber. My only complaint is that he plays way too high, likely because he doesn't need to get his pad level down when you weigh 100 lbs more than everyone else. Flood will need to coach that up, but otherwise this kid has a chance to be a difference maker when he cleans up the technique. 

Learning assignments and blocking progression after blowing up the guy across from him would be a plus well. Banks is far ahead of him in overall awareness.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Can we do a dline club for me to donate another $10 a month?  At some point the big money hobnobs will help because this shit is working and I covet Abor!  We need to kill the OPPOSITION!

Well I mean defensive ends can be burnt ends, too. I'm in for another $50/month.

57 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah, that's what I see.  He moves well for his size and delivers a devastating punch but he's way too high.  He rarely seems to get low, lock onto his man, and drive.

56 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Can we do a dline club for me to donate another $10 a month?  At some point the big money hobnobs will help because this shit is working and I covet Abor!  We need to kill the OPPOSITION!

We'd need a lot more buy in.  The TE's make pretty good money, more now that there's fewer players and no new additions.  However, there's nowhere near enough for DL too.  We need to get the other message board communities more involved.  There's at least three other large UT message board communities which probably aren't contributing much right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We'd need a lot more buy in.  The TE's make pretty good money, more now that there's fewer players and no new additions.  However, there's nowhere near enough for DL too.  We need to get the other message board communities more involved.  There's at least three other large UT message board communities which probably aren't contributing much right now. 

Does this mean we have to invite echeese? Fuck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fuck, it’s almost cheaper to buy them out…

22 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Would be lovely to kill two birds with one stone and convince folks to send their 9.95 to players rather than Ketch et al.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting