Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Finkley seems way more excited about this trip than his others, so I suspect it was his mom with the positive feedback. And I can’t forget Justice’s reaction to a Michigan crystal ball: he simply tweeted “LOL.”:

(And I’ve seen at least three defensive players wearing jersey #1 in their photos: first one to commit gets the number? 😆)

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Finkley seems way more excited about this trip than his others, so I suspect it was his mom with the positive feedback. And I can’t forget Justice’s reaction to a Michigan crystal ball: he simply tweeted “LOL.”:

(And I’ve seen at least three defensive players wearing jersey #1 in their photos: first one to commit gets the number? 😆)

New ncaa rule says that players can wear the same number and be on the field at the same time as long as the numbers are in different fonts. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Danimal said:

This makes 3 silents from recent recruiting weekends, correct? I believe there were 2 silents given a previous weekend this month

Not sure, I don’t know if it’s a silent necessarily. Hopefully it’s a commitment that is going public soon. Just waiting on a edit or peak Twitter hours or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not sure, I don’t know if it’s a silent necessarily. Hopefully it’s a commitment that is going public soon. Just waiting on a edit or peak Twitter hours or whatever. 

I think Gerry said 2 a few weeks ago.  From the group of Cheeks/Hutson/Sexton.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach updates

Spoiler

Sunday 1:50 p.m. : Just spoke with Devon Campbell who is leaving campus now. He said the trip went great and he felt like a huge priority for Texas. He sat in on coaching meetings with Kyle Flood yesterday and got a feel for his coaching style and knowledge. He called Flood’s style unique and was impressed by his knowledge. He also hung out with former Bowie OL Tope Imade. He met once again with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood this morning. Campbell will return in the fall for an official visit.

Sunday, 2:03 p.m. : I haven’t yet connected with Duncanville OL Cam Williams, but a source near him told me the visit went extremely well for Texas. He will announce his decision this week and I think Texas benefitted from having the last trip.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach updates

Reveal hidden contents

Sunday 1:50 p.m. : Just spoke with Devon Campbell who is leaving campus now. He said the trip went great and he felt like a huge priority for Texas. He sat in on coaching meetings with Kyle Flood yesterday and got a feel for his coaching style and knowledge. He called Flood’s style unique and was impressed by his knowledge. He also hung out with former Bowie OL Tope Imade. He met once again with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood this morning. Campbell will return in the fall for an official visit.

Sunday, 2:03 p.m. : I haven’t yet connected with Duncanville OL Cam Williams, but a source near him told me the visit went extremely well for Texas. He will announce his decision this week and I think Texas benefitted from having the last trip.

young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

(Greg Biggins) Four-Star DB Larry Turner-Gooden talks recent visit to Texas, sets four official trips

Spoiler

Mission Hills (Calif.) Alemany athlete Larry Turner-Gooden said his commitment to Arizona State remains strong but he recently visited Texas and is planning to take all five official trips in the fall.

Turner-Gooden, who recently transferred in to Alemany after playing at Playa Del Rey (Calif.) St. Bernard a year ago, committed to Arizona State back in late February and said

“My commitment to ASU is still strong,” Turner-Gooden said. “Obviously I’m watching what’s going on over there right now but I still feel good about my commitment and I have a great relationship with the coaches.

“I always wanted to take my trips though. That was always part of the plan, even when I committed, I wanted to take all my trips and they were totally fine with that.”

Turner-Gooden said he loved his visit to Texas and plans to be back for an official.

“It was a great trip, I really liked it there,” Turner-Gooden said. “I loved the atmosphere, it’s really family oriented and the coaches were great with me. I spent a lot of time with coach Gideon (DB coach) and talked with coach Sark as well.

“I did a workout with coach Gideon and got some great feedback from him. They told me they love me as a player and would love to have as part of the team. It was cool to see and talk with those guys in person. I've been talking with coach Gideon for awhile now but it was good to actually meet him face to face and connect that way."

Turner-Gooden said he didn’t get the full facility tour but still saw a lot of the campus.

“They’re upgrading the facilities right now so there’s a lot of construction going on,” Turner-Gooden said. “I still loved what I saw and can only imagine how nice it will look when it’s all done.

“I walked the campus though and I liked the city of Austin as well. I’m going back for my official when they play Oklahoma State (Oct. 16) and I’m definitely looking forward to it.”

Turner-Gooden has three other official trips locked in as well.

“ I’m going to Penn State when they play Auburn (Sept, 18),” Turner-Gooden said. “My visit to ASU will be when they host USC (Nov. 6) and I had Oregon set up but I have to move the date so I'll get that locked in soon here. 

“For that last visit, I would love to check out LSU and they’re talking to me a little bit right now. Colorado and UCLA are in there too. Right now, I’m just building relationships with the coaches. After I got committed, a lot of the schools stopped recruiting me but Texas is still coming hard. They’re recruiting me the hardest right now outside of ASU so that’s why I have real interest in them.”

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

best-cube.gif

But he's, like, a really fucking big cube.

What OL position does Cam Williams play in college? I'm thinking OG but I can't say with certainty which side. He can certainly clog defensive lanes into the backfield, but can he develop quick feet?

I guess taking him means that Sarkisian/Flood want 6 OL? 

Theoretically:

OT: Kelvin Banks, Jacob Sexton

OG: Devon Campbell, Cole Hutson, Connor Robertson (knowing full well the latter two will receive cross training at Center)

So that's 5 OL right there with an outside chance at Kam Dewberry. Maybe Connor Robertson makes it interesting by picking Stanford?

OL recruiting is becoming exciting after a long ass time. 

Edited by UDontKnow

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

What OL position does Cam Williams play in college? I'm thinking OG but I can't say with certainty which side. He can certainly clog defensive lanes into the backfield, but can he develop quick feet?

I guess taking him means that the Sarkisian/Flood want 6 OL? 

Theoretically:

OG: Devon Campbell, Cole Hutson, Connor Robertson (knowing full well the latter two will receive cross training at Center)

So that's 5 OL right there with an outside chance at Kam Dewberry. Maybe Connor Robertson makes it interesting by picking Stanford?

How did you leave Williams out of your analysis when you started off talking about him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Theoretically:

He's gigantic and Flood loves enormous right tackles.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How did you leave Williams out of your analysis when you started off talking about him?

Not really. Williams + 5 OL with more certain positions = 6 total OL for the class. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's gigantic and Flood loves enormous right tackles.

Good to know that about Flood. Big Cam will be a college RT? I will be gruntled if it happens.

Nick Harris on Anderson

Spoiler

Sunday, 2:55 p.m.: Just spoke to a source who said that Bryce Anderson’s visit is going “really well.” Anderson just wrapped up meeting with the track & field staff and did a photoshoot with them as well. They’ll have dinner tonight and then meet with Steve Sarkisian one last time before departing campus around 10:00 p.m.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Not really. Williams + 5 OL with more certain positions = 6 total OL for the class. 

Well, Dewberry or Neto or some West Coast dude or the midwest fat dude would make 7 and we ain't taking 7.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, Dewberry or Neto or some West Coast dude or the midwest fat dude would make 7 and we ain't taking 7.

Right, I didn't think 7 would be taken. Dewberry was cited nominally even though he is a tad overrated and most likely going aggy. Connor Robertson is still a Stanford threat. If CTJ is on point on Neto, then it doesn't seem like the staff would prioritize him considering all the other straightforward OL options.

But I think it's looking more and more evident that there will be 6 OL taken with 3 realistic OT options (maybe Sexton can man both OT positions?).   

58 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Brown tweeted that Saturday night during his official visit to Baylor?  Hope that is not good news for Baylor.  

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach updates

Hide contents

Man, that was dangerous. Roach got really close to actually making a prediction on a guy that other 9.95ers are implying is already in. Good thing Roach didn’t get too carried away there. 

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Theoretically:

I think the staff views him as a RT. Flood has no qualms about playing really heavy guys at RT as long as they are tall and have long arms. He seems to prefer a road grader over a dancing bear at that spot based on previous recruiting. 

I also don’t think we take more than 5, barring someone like Neto or one of the West Cost elites wanting in late. 

You don’t have to throw as many numbers at the position as you used to with the transfers portal now being an option. Seems possible that the staff only has one spot for Sexton/Williams (assuming we get Banks), but it’s hard to say since we’ve never seen a full cycle with them before. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

He's a guard. He is a little short for tackle and slow feet don't eat but at guard he can drive and thrive

https://247sports.com/player/cameron-williams-46085065/

He's listed at either 6'5" according to 247 or 6'7" on his highlight film. He's not too short for tackle. I agree his feet might be questionable for tackle.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting