Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

What OL position does Cam Williams play in college? I'm thinking OG but I can't say with certainty which side. He can certainly clog defensive lanes into the backfield, but can he develop quick feet?
I guess taking him means that Sarkisian/Flood want 6 OL? 
Theoretically:
OT: Kelvin Banks, Jacob Sexton
OG: Devon Campbell, Cole Hutson, Connor Robertson (knowing full well the latter two will receive cross training at Center)
So that's 5 OL right there with an outside chance at Kam Dewberry. Maybe Connor Robertson makes it interesting by picking Stanford?

OL recruiting is becoming exciting after a long ass time. 

I think Williams probably projects at tackle based purely on size/frame, particularly given Flood’s preference for size at RT, but that could be TBD based on how the roster fills out in his first couple years on campus. I think he’s certainly going to be a guy that needs a couple years of S&C work before playing regardless.

I don’t think they take more than five unless it’s an unexpected elite prospect you can’t turn down. With Williams I’d think it looks like Campbell, Banks, Hutson, Robertson, and Williams. Pretty nice haul.

48 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://247sports.com/player/cameron-williams-46085065/

He's listed at either 6'5" according to 247 or 6'7" on his highlight film. He's not too short for tackle. I agree his feet might be questionable for tackle.

Haven't watched him but his 3 star rating doesn't jive at all with his offer list. OU, Oregon, tOSU, LSU, UGA, USC and more. Never know what's committable but that's a high 4-star list.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Haven't watched him but his 3 star rating doesn't jive at all with his offer list. OU, Oregon, tOSU, LSU, UGA, USC and more. Never know what's committable but that's a high 4-star list.

He took a huge drop in the last Rivals update, which would indicate he went from an OU lean to Texas lean.  Was a composite 4* before that.

Spoiler

More Notes

*** I am told the visit season at Texas has been very impressive by a couple of recruits. From conversations with a couple of highly-touted prospects, the presentation and atmosphere of Texas visits has rivaled that of Alabama, Texas A&M and Ohio State from those who have visited around.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that while the visit itself was impressive, there was a notable change in practice tone from Texas to Texas A&M. One athlete that is strongly considering both schools said there was a notable difference at the A&M practice/workout in tone and general feel on the field.

I would assume part of that is due to Texas still getting accustomed to Sark and staff, but it is notable nonetheless.

Found this bit interesting from TFB open post this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:
  Hide contents

More Notes

*** I am told the visit season at Texas has been very impressive by a couple of recruits. From conversations with a couple of highly-touted prospects, the presentation and atmosphere of Texas visits has rivaled that of Alabama, Texas A&M and Ohio State from those who have visited around.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that while the visit itself was impressive, there was a notable change in practice tone from Texas to Texas A&M. One athlete that is strongly considering both schools said there was a notable difference at the A&M practice/workout in tone and general feel on the field.

I would assume part of that is due to Texas still getting accustomed to Sark and staff, but it is notable nonetheless.

Sark and Jimbo are extraordinarily different human beings. Makes sense.

Spoiler

More Notes

“Notable” may be the least descriptive adjective they could have chosen, so naturally they use it half a dozen times.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

“Notable” may be the least descriptive adjective they could have chosen, so naturally they use it half a dozen times.

Just trying to figure out if is being viewed as a positive or negative but of course TFB only leaves that one line about Texas still getting acclimated to Sark/staff.

There was a long discussion about it on the paywall side. CJ Vogel clarified:

Spoiler

The source kinda described it as more lively. A more fun environment with high level football still being emphasized. I imagine Sark only being here for a couple months has something to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark and Jimbo are extraordinarily different human beings. Makes sense.

Yeah, I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case to be honest. Sark is a west coast guy that’s coached in the NFL. Jimbo is Appalachia/deep south and has never been in the NFL. One came up under Pete Carroll, one under the Bowdens and Nick Saban. They have very different backgrounds.

I was also going to mention the age difference but I googled it and Jimbo is only 55. Would’ve pegged him well into his 60s.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach updates

Reveal hidden contents

Sunday, 4:43 p.m. : Two really big updates from sources on the weekend came in at the same time. A source I spoke with felt the visit for Jamarion Miller was a homerun and Texas is now very much in that race, if not the favorite. I’ll do a little more digging there before a Crystal Ball prediction.

I was also told the staff was very pleased with how things went regarding Justice Finkley. I was told the parents responded very well to the all around pitch they were given on athletics and academics. A source who was once negative regarding this recruitment now feels Texas has a great shot.

Errybody

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case to be honest. Sark is a west coast guy that’s coached in the NFL. Jimbo is Appalachia/deep south and has never been in the NFL. One came up under Pete Carroll, one under the Bowdens and Nick Saban. They have very different backgrounds.

I was also going to mention the age difference but I googled it and Jimbo is only 55. Would’ve pegged him well into his 60s.

His wife probably aged him at least a decade.  Actually, a lot of wives do.

Edited by runthebone

Wells on Miller

Spoiler

The 2022 Tyler Legacy four-star tailback took his official visit to Austin this weekend. It was long overdue.

As loyal IT readers know, this recruitment went off the tracks earlier this year, but Sarkisian and Drayton seem to have put it back in place.

The Miller family loved the trip and I can see Texas right back in this. Top to bottom, UT did well here this weekend.

Competition;
Alabama - Might not be a take for Saban, but they acted like he was.

Oklahoma State - He canceled his Stillwater official this weekend to see UT.

Texas A&M - New to the bunch and trying to stake a claim.

The Key;
Jamarion’s mother. Win her and you probably win him. She wants him close.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

that's because he's getting shorter.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

While Sarkisian had a problem with alcoholism, Jimbo's appearance in the last few years kinda says he drinks a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry

Spoiler

Defensive tackle Aaron Bryant (Southhaven, MS) began the June visit process with Georgia the team to beat over Texas A&M and Texas. Now entering the dead period, this one is seemingly headed more towards a Texas A&M vs. Texas decision per a source close to the recruitment. IT isn't ready to completely shut the door on Ole Miss yet, as there are family connections.

IT also spoke to a source close to Marlin defensive tackle Jaray Bledsoe. To say the visit blew away Jaray and his mom would be an understatement. That was expected, however, as the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder hadn't been on a visit in June due to summer school. Barring a major change of plan, the Texas staff will have to just keep hanging around the rim as this one plays out with OV's in the fall. Of course, Bo Davis may have a hand way above the rim right now after an impactful unofficial visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells on Miller

Hide contents

The 2022 Tyler Legacy four-star tailback took his official visit to Austin this weekend. It was long overdue.

As loyal IT readers know, this recruitment went off the tracks earlier this year, but Sarkisian and Drayton seem to have put it back in place.

The Miller family loved the trip and I can see Texas right back in this. Top to bottom, UT did well here this weekend.

Competition;
Alabama - Might not be a take for Saban, but they acted like he was.

Oklahoma State - He canceled his Stillwater official this weekend to see UT.

Texas A&M - New to the bunch and trying to stake a claim.

The Key;
Jamarion’s mother. Win her and you probably win him. She wants him close.

Is Bama seriously gonna try to take 3 RBs? Surely they don't have room for that many.

Crystal Ballin: New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Longhorns

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Longhorns

Mike Roach

Coming out of the last official visit weekend of the summer for Texas, the Longhorns are looking to start cashing in on some of these visits. After gathering intel over the weekend, I've decided to enter a new Crystal Ball prediction for Texas.

The pick is for Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller. The four-star prospect visited Austin over the weekend on a trip that came together quickly. After Texas seemed to lose traction with him, Miller came back around and decided to see Austin after all. I'm told that the visit went exceptionally well, and it could be enough to put Texas over the top. Though Alabama and Oklahoma State had the most momentum in the spring, it became clear that Miller would like to stick closer to home. Texas A&M made a big impression early in the summer, but Texas has been going all out to show how much they want him.

A source near Miller told Horns247 that the feeling out east is Texas did enough on the visit to close the deal. I was also told a decision could come together pretty quickly for Miller who doesn't do much on social media and doesn't care for the recruiting process. If Texas lands Miller, they'd pair him with top back Jaydon Blue to make for a lethal combination in the backfield.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks describes Miller in the following way:

"Plays stronger than listed size suggests. Possesses adequate height with limited frame. Built like a ball of muscle with compact, concentrated center of gravity. Runs with good pad level and consistently finishes runs. Finds nooks and crannies in traffic to gain extra yards. Strong enough to run through arm tackles. Vision is a plus. Quick feet in the hole to make the first man miss. Dangerous stretch option as a one-cut back with big-play top-end speed. Faster than most backs of his size and build. Ran an 11.06 100 as a freshman and long speed reflects that. Has shown encouraging pass-catching ability, at times lining up as an outside receiver in certain packages. While agility is above average, gears down sometimes when redirecting. Very good between-the-tackles hole-puncher and cutback runner, but does limited frame change that at the next level? Great combination of running hard and running fast. Among the top backs in Texas in the 2022 class as a legitimate high-major prospect who could play beyond college."

At 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, Miller is ranked as the No. 14 running back in the country and No. 31 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting