Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Nick Harris, on Perkins.

Spoiler

Cypress (Texas) Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins set Twitter and message boards on fire Monday afternoon with a series of tweets alluding to a possible commitment. After some digging by GigEm247's Brian Perroni, he was able to confirm that his announcement would be a commitment and that it would come on Tuesday at 10 a.m.

After talking to a key source close to the situation, fans should not be expecting a school commitment tomorrow morning. It seems as though Perkins is looking to flip his All-American Bowl selection. Sources at multiple contending schools are caught off-guard by the tweets, which also leads me to believe that it will be a bowl game flip.

Perkins was initially set to play in the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando on January 7 where he was also planning to make his commitment. The other bowl game that could be contending for his services is the All-American Game in San Antonio on January 8, as the two overlap with practices throughout the week.

That being said, when checking with sources today when it was initially thought that this could be a school announcement, one source said that LSU was in a good spot while the source that indicated this could be a bowl game announcement said that Texas was in a good spot. Texas A&M obviously has done a great job recruiting Perkins, which further indicates that this is shaping up to be a much closer race with all three schools heavily involved. I do still expect Perkins to make his decision in January at this time.

247Sports Midlands Region Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks compares Perkins to Dylan Moses in the following evaluation:

"Assembled well with a lean, athletic build. Not overly long but good height and has some space to add mass in college. Dynamic two-way player for high school team. Could be a P5 running back prospect in addition to elite linebacker recruit. Outstanding tester in a combine setting (4.49 40). Athleticism jumps off the screen. Flashes home run-hitting speed as a ball carrier that translates to terrific pursuit ability on defense. Shows traits that work as a traditional off-ball linebacker, as well as edge-bending athleticism as a pass-rusher. Could fit multiple roles and is the type of defensive prospect with whom a staff can great creative. Generally a sure tackler who can provide the big hit. Honing coverage technique will enhance positional and situational flexibility as a defender. Among the top prospects in Texas for his class. Potential multi-year impact starter at the high-major level with long-term NFL Draft upside."

52 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’m going to laugh if it’s a commitment to an all star game.

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Nick Harris just said he thinks this is it and that it's "according to a source"

Welp, I am in fact laughing. This fucks with aggy more than it does with us, so I’m fine with it.

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Welp, I am in fact laughing. This fucks with aggy more than it does with us, so I’m fine with it.

What's also funny is that some Aggy mods said they thought it would be LSU so now the Ags get to think about that on a guy they've been told they were getting

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, if anyone had any doubts about how terrible Perroni is at what he does, here's unassailable proof. He even spoke to the guy and didn't pick up the clues that maybe this wasn't a commitment to a school. He's a hack, a plagiarist, and an incompetent.

No offense to your kid as I'm sure she has the decency to be a 2%er, but you could've just called him an aggy.

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, if anyone had any doubts about how terrible Perroni is at what he does, here's unassailable proof. He even spoke to the guy and didn't pick up the clues that maybe this wasn't a commitment to a school. He's a hack, a plagiarist, and an incompetent.

well yeah, he's an aggy

Gerry

Going to keep this one simple. IT continues to believe that Texas is the favorite over Texas A&M for elite offensive tackle Kelvin Banks.

Harold Perkins is not expected to commit to a college Tuesday, His decision timeline remains most likely for December or during an All-Star game in early January. For those wondering if Texas made top ground in Perkins' mind, the answer is yes. In fact, the 6-foot-2.5, 210-pound ultra athletic linebacker prospect is very intrigued about being in Austin (big lively city) for college. Perkins mom prefers smaller college town of College Station. With that said, IT was told by a source close that the mom will sign off on wherever her son wants to go among the in-state programs, if he chooses to stay close to Houston where she lives.

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t feel like this board has approached that level of hand wringing yet. The doom and gloom over Broughton and Collins was something.

No, the Broughton vibe was that he was all aggy after his visit by the aggy 9.95ers, and for the life of them couldn't see him going to Texas.

I think the board is different because unlike that year Texas is actually recruiting contingency plans as if they were priorities.

Gerry...in regards to Sexton not being in the class.

Spoiler

withers said:
Has Texas reduced contact with him, or otherwise let him know that they likely won't have room for him?

What if one of the five projected other OL on the "wish list" doesn't commit, would Texas try to get him or are there other possibilities of getting another OL?

Yes. It's known.

Edited by HtownHorn

Wells

Spoiler

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX) - 2022:

When the 6-foot-1, 185-pound four-star receiver de-committed from OU recently, Texas had the door cracked wide open. And following an official trip to SMU, Hudson hit Austin last week for a one-day unofficial.

"Man, it was good," said Hudson. "Coach B (Brandon Harris) took real good care of me. I had fun, went down and took pictures, and just touched all the bases with the staff. The Hall of Fame was something serious. The Kevin Durant part is so cool. I'm a big KD fan. I liked all of it."

What about that SMU visit?

"It was great," said Hudson. "They're in my Top 3 and enjoyed seeing the campus and stuff."

Hudson is set to announce on July 4th, and I believe SMU will be his choice on Independence Day. But he tells IT he'll be back to Austin for a game and official visit this fall, so his final choice might not happen until closer to Thanksgiving or before Christmas.

Texas just needs to stay the course and recruit through the whistle. They did well during the unofficial venture, and just need to build on that, regardless of July 4th.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) - 2022:

The state's top offensive tackle prospect has had his eyes on Texas since Sarkisian and company shortly joined the club. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound five-star composite also knew he had a busy June ahead of him. Now that he's seen all the places he's wanted, it's decision time.

"It was crazy," said Banks, about June. Now, he gets to pick his spot. Banks gave IT a rundown of his visits.

On Oregon: "Great people there and also the weather is nice."

On LSU: "I have family that live in Louisiana, plus they have great facilities."

On Texas A&M: "Great people, more of a chill town."

On Texas: "The staff and people were great, and loved the new facilities (South End Zone, etc)."

I believe UT was the pace setter going into the visits, and think this'll come down to UT vs A&M. He still wants to announce in July, so we're right around the corner.

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS) - 2022

With 20 offers in hand from the best in the SEC and beyond, the 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive lineman took his official to Austin over the weekend. The feedback was positive.

“It was great,:" said Bryant. "Coach (Bo) Davis really stood out to me. This was the only visit that I’ve been on that I felt like I was better at football when I left without even practicing. It was just great to be able to learn some things that I can work on and how Coach Davis will develop me.”

Bryant has seen a handful of spots including Georgia and Texas A&M, who we believe to be UT's top competition. At the end of the day, the Horns made one hell of an impression.

“I was extremely impressed with Coach (Bo) Davis and Coach Sark, along with the rest of the staff," said Bryant." I can definitely see why Coach Davis has had so much success in his profession. I feel like Texas Football will definitely be back to it’s old status under Coach Sark.”

Bryant says he doesn't have a hard timeline for a decision, but hearing Georgia might not have room makes this a Texas-Texas A&M battle.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry...in regards to Sexton not being in the class.

Hide contents

withers said:
Has Texas reduced contact with him, or otherwise let him know that they likely won't have room for him?

What if one of the five projected other OL on the "wish list" doesn't commit, would Texas try to get him or are there other possibilities of getting another OL?

Yes. It's known.

Didn't quite follow this. Is this Gerry saying that "it's known" as in they've told Sexton we likely won't have room for him? 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Didn't quite follow this. Is this Gerry saying that "it's known" as in they've told Sexton we likely won't have room for him? 

Yes. Follows with my earlier post about Sexton.

They don't have room for Sexton and have communicated that to him at this time, which means they (UT coaches and IT) think they are to bat 1.000 on Banks, Robertson, Huston, Campbell, and Williams.

• Hook 'Em 6

Gerry:

IT was able to grab a thought from Marlin 2022 DT Jaray Bledsoe following his two day unofficial visit to Texas with his mom.

"Texas definitely left a big impact in my decision making later on down the line by making me feel very comfortable and welcoming. I was able to see myself there in the future."

IT can also report that Blesdoe's mom had similar thoughts about the impact of the visit for Texas.

Bledsoe will make official visits in the fall, and Texas is expected to receive one along with Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and possibly LSU.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I have personally never doubted the homer rubism from anyone associated with that outfit on any level. Especially when it comes to generating clicks from a desperate fan base indoctrinated to the false narrative that aggy is of national relevance when it comes to brand and actual accomplishments since birth going on close to 90 years. Looch is the current keeper and driving force behind the perpetuation of that narrative and guys like Perroni and others associated with that claptrap are a reflection of such. The cuck contract and unabashed commitment to the bag game evidences the desperation underlying the core of failure and insecurity that permeates the aggy history. And I, for one, find it immensely entertaining as a rubbernecker would a Houston freeway accident.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teryor said:

Only caught this because Bruce Feldman followed him. This would be the absolute funniest recruitment we should have a legitimate shot at winning (assuming Sark is our coach in 5 years).

Burnt orange flags. Calculator. 

54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is the full context of the comment:

image.thumb.png.c0091fbd8f5e7b32c5b293615d59bd14.png

Sexton knows if they don't get Williams, Banks, Campbell, Robertson, and Hutson then they will have a spot for him is what I gather from that exchange.

My read is that he's responding to the first question like @HtownHorn said but it's not clear. 

Also isn't Sexton a pure OT? Williams and Banks may be the only ones that affect him having a spot

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

And yet, probably the classiest and most ethical of the aggy mods.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting