Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Eric Nahlin) Cameron Williams to Oregon and what lies ahead

Reveal hidden contents

Gross.

The Keahnist Thompson miss was a meh. The staff was late to move and already had a number of good options in play at Jack. Plus, UCF had proximity and the promise of playing tight end on its side.

Terrance Brooks was a much tougher loss, but while UT checked a lot of boxes, it didn’t check #1, a track record for development. UT did all it could and was set to be the bridesmaid to Bama right before that trashy trollop Ohio State showed up and went home with the groom.

The Cameron Williams (OL Duncanville) miss is more disappointing because it reveals some flaws in process. Texas offered on May 5th — as in less than two months ago. That’s well after the staff had its sea legs under it. Even more puzzling, that’s surely well after Kyle Flood was familiar with him given he recruited the state while at Bama. Maybe given Cam’s size they wanted to see him in person, but that doesn’t square given the giants Flood signed out of North Shore in back to back classes (Damieon George and Jaeden Roberts).

Even if they had good reason, it doesn’t matter. Mario Cristobal is one of the best o-line coaches in the country and he offered in January…of 2020.

The Cam Williams miss guarantees this staff will be evaluating film well into senior seasons, not so they can be diligent and say they did, but to be vigilant and fill needs. It also guarantees the staff will continue to play the long game with in-state and out-of-state long shots. It also becomes even more imperative, if that’s possible, they land Kelvin Banks and Devon Campbell.

Texas should receive good offensive line recruiting news in the coming days with Connor Robertson (Austin Westlake) and Cole Hutson (Frisco) set to announce tomorrow. Fans should always want coaches to land their priorities and these two are in fact priorities. Hutson was offered while Flood was at Alabama and Robertson was an early surprise offer from Flood upon his arrival to Austin. These are good foundational pieces, each with interior versatility.

Williams would have filled a different role. He represented upside as a mammoth sliding wall right tackle, or a mauling guard. In looking around the state, there aren’t many of those.

Remaining known targets besides Robertson and Hutson:

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): Texas is in a good spot currently. For your sake, hopefully the staff proves it can win an extremely hard fought recruitment for an elite before Campbell decides.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX): Long shot and Flood hasn’t proven to be Quigley Down Under while at Texas.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA): Long shot.

OL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA): Longer shot.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): The same written about Campbell goes for Banks. The only problem is he’s set to announce in three weeks and Jimbo Fisher has more experience as a head coach closing these types of recruitments out.

Addendum (posted later) : 

If we thought Banks was going to A&M, we’d state it plainly like we’ve done hundreds of times throughout the years. I have no problem hurting y’all‘s feelings.

This should sound like the staff needs to get more aggressive and close better and because we have some mild concern growing in that department, it should affect how we view their ability to close out Banks.

OT Kam Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): Long shot.

OT Josh Conerly Jr., Rainier Beach (Seattle, WA)

Expect this list to expand in the coming months.

By no means is it time to hit the panic button, but let’s see if these guys get more aggressive when it comes to offering and closing.

Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood aren’t in Tuscaloosa anymore.

And the Banks hedging begins.

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

any Foreword to white boy friday CTJ?

I think we can all assume carnage and disappointment. Apparently Sarkisian can't close. Hutson is a silent and has a mother who has been a Texas honk his entire recruitment. Robertson's family would prefer he stay here and don't see a dramatic difference in degree upside from Stanford versus what he'll pursue at Texas or some shit. I think the family has a strong network. Maybe early enrollment is a thing on that one as well. Hell, I can't remember. Both are tough dudes on the field, so fucking great, let's get them. If Texas whiffs on either guy, fuck me, fuck you, fuck them, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah. 

As of right now, I'd say there are multiple things working against Texas in the recruiting realm. Some, like payola infrastructure, I don't really give a fuck about because I honestly believe Texas is going to be a king on the NIL front for its players. Other shit, like shit that other teams can spew about Sarkisian or UT? I don't know what can happen in that regard other than winning and Sarkisian proving over the duration of a season that he's not on the sauce.

Make no mistake, these other staffs are throwing everything they can at badmouthing UT and they have a metric ton of shit that is viable in one form or another that they can use - EOT, Booze, NFL Draft Picks, Winning, you name it. Some of it we may disagree with, but our perception is not a recruit or a recruit's family's perception. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

And maybe don't tell Sexton he doesn't have a spot unless his spot is actually taken.

If the reporting is accurate, this would be the second time the staff has done this in the past two weeks. It ended up working out at RB, but that’s still ridiculous.

Gonna go out on a limb and say this staff should stop counting people as in before they make a public commitment.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

At this point I’m just gonna be prepared for them to not choose Texas 

It’s the 49th and 77th best composite player in the state. We could land them both, and it doesn’t turn the needle for anyone.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think we can all assume carnage and disappointment. Apparently Sarkisian can't close. Hutson is a silent and has a mother who has been a Texas honk his entire recruitment. Robertson's family would prefer he stay here and don't see a dramatic difference in degree upside from Stanford versus what he'll pursue at Texas or some shit. I think the family has a strong network. Maybe early enrollment is a thing on that one as well. Hell, I can't remember. Both are tough dudes on the field, so fucking great, let's get them. If Texas whiffs on either guy, fuck me, fuck you, fuck them, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah. 

As of right now, I'd say there are multiple things working against Texas in the recruiting realm. Some, like payola infrastructure, I don't really give a fuck about because I honestly believe Texas is going to be a king on the NIL front for its players. Other shit, like shit that other teams can spew about Sarkisian or UT? I don't know what can happen in that regard other than winning and Sarkisian proving over the duration of a season that he's not on the sauce.

Make no mistake, these other staffs are throwing everything they can at badmouthing UT and they have a metric ton of shit that is viable in one form or another that they can use - EOT, Booze, NFL Draft Picks, Winning, you name it. Some of it we may disagree with, but our perception is not a recruit or a recruit's family's perception. 

Is Jimbo playing the EOT or NFL draft cards on us? Because I don't see how he could play either but to your point, it's a recruit's perception, not mine

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Eric Nahlin) Cameron Williams to Oregon and what lies ahead

Hide contents

Gross.

The Keahnist Thompson miss was a meh. The staff was late to move and already had a number of good options in play at Jack. Plus, UCF had proximity and the promise of playing tight end on its side.

Terrance Brooks was a much tougher loss, but while UT checked a lot of boxes, it didn’t check #1, a track record for development. UT did all it could and was set to be the bridesmaid to Bama right before that trashy trollop Ohio State showed up and went home with the groom.

The Cameron Williams (OL Duncanville) miss is more disappointing because it reveals some flaws in process. Texas offered on May 5th — as in less than two months ago. That’s well after the staff had its sea legs under it. Even more puzzling, that’s surely well after Kyle Flood was familiar with him given he recruited the state while at Bama. Maybe given Cam’s size they wanted to see him in person, but that doesn’t square given the giants Flood signed out of North Shore in back to back classes (Damieon George and Jaeden Roberts).

Even if they had good reason, it doesn’t matter. Mario Cristobal is one of the best o-line coaches in the country and he offered in January…of 2020.

The Cam Williams miss guarantees this staff will be evaluating film well into senior seasons, not so they can be diligent and say they did, but to be vigilant and fill needs. It also guarantees the staff will continue to play the long game with in-state and out-of-state long shots. It also becomes even more imperative, if that’s possible, they land Kelvin Banks and Devon Campbell.

Texas should receive good offensive line recruiting news in the coming days with Connor Robertson (Austin Westlake) and Cole Hutson (Frisco) set to announce tomorrow. Fans should always want coaches to land their priorities and these two are in fact priorities. Hutson was offered while Flood was at Alabama and Robertson was an early surprise offer from Flood upon his arrival to Austin. These are good foundational pieces, each with interior versatility.

Williams would have filled a different role. He represented upside as a mammoth sliding wall right tackle, or a mauling guard. In looking around the state, there aren’t many of those.

Remaining known targets besides Robertson and Hutson:

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): Texas is in a good spot currently. For your sake, hopefully the staff proves it can win an extremely hard fought recruitment for an elite before Campbell decides.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX): Long shot and Flood hasn’t proven to be Quigley Down Under while at Texas.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA): Long shot.

OL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA): Longer shot.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): The same written about Campbell goes for Banks. The only problem is he’s set to announce in three weeks and Jimbo Fisher has more experience as a head coach closing these types of recruitments out.

Addendum (posted later) : 

If we thought Banks was going to A&M, we’d state it plainly like we’ve done hundreds of times throughout the years. I have no problem hurting y’all‘s feelings.

This should sound like the staff needs to get more aggressive and close better and because we have some mild concern growing in that department, it should affect how we view their ability to close out Banks.

OT Kam Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): Long shot.

OT Josh Conerly Jr., Rainier Beach (Seattle, WA)

Expect this list to expand in the coming months.

By no means is it time to hit the panic button, but let’s see if these guys get more aggressive when it comes to offering and closing.

Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood aren’t in Tuscaloosa anymore.

Oh he grumpy 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Is Jimbo playing the EOT or NFL draft cards on us? Because I don't see how he could play either but to your point, it's a recruit's perception, not mine

I don't think ATM is doing anything but throwing money at people and showing recruits Fisher's rings (OC and HC) and then claiming over and over until it's mantra that Texas doesn't win and can't develop players and the Big 12 sucks. It doesn't matter one bit if we know the actual facts around Fisher leaving FSU in ruin, ATM's pathetic history of performance, or that this staff hasn't lost a game at Texas yet - we aren't the audience.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I blame the monkey. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Every recruitment is different. That's a powerhouse small sample size move.

While your point is valid, I'm out of confidence along with everyone else at this point. I expect Flood to fuck up the Banks recruitment. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Mike at Night: What's next for cornerback, reason for optimism on recruiting trail

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: What's next for cornerback, reason for optimism on recruiting trail

Mike Roach

— Texas lost out on a major cornerback target in Terrance Brooks this week. The Longhorns hold a commitment from Jaylon Guilbeau and are still in the race for five-star corner Denver Harris. Texas also has an offer out to Arlington Seguin corner Xavion Brice who will likely be a riser in the rankings now that more teams are defining him as a defensive back. Aside from Brice, two guys to watch as options in state are The Woodlands College Park DB Marcus Scott and Little Elm cornerback Keyshon Mills. Both are raw prospects, but they both have exceptional length and speed. Mills performed very well at several Texas camps this summer and brings a 6-foot plus frame to the table. I should see him this weekend at Pylon 7v7 nationals.

— Since I wasn't around, I thought I'd provide a little background on Jamarion Miller. Though there were times it seemed Texas would never get the east Texas back on campus, Miller never closed the door to the Longhorns. It turns out that their miscalculation in thinking they had DeAnthony Gatson was a blessing in disguise as the visit came together quickly. Once Miller got to Austin, the recruitment was pretty much over. Texas threw a ton of resources into this recruitment even though they continually struggled to get through to Miller early. While Stan Drayton worked the relationship with the family, Brandon Harris worked on Jamarion. Chris Gilbert came through to work on the relationship with high school coach Joe Willis. Miller was always a Texas fan going back to when his brother Damion was a signee, but something about that experience and the last staff's hesitancy with him left a bad taste in his mouth. He's excited to be part of a two-back class as well joining Jaydon Blue, and it sounds like the process is wrapped for him considering how much he hated it in the first place.

— I spoke to a source at Duncanville following the decision of Cam Williams.  Texas made up a ton of ground in the recruitment and seemed to have the edge following the visit, but they were ultimately "too late to the party."  The former staff didn't recruit Williams at all and this staff didn't offer soon enough to outlast the Ducks who had been building a relationship for quite some time.

— It's easy to focus on the negatives in recruiting, but the Longhorns now hold commitments from two of the top running backs in the country along with three strong defensive line commits, a quarterback with elite tools and one of the top safeties in the country. They are also in line for a few other guys including Cole Hutson and Connor Robertson who are both committing tomorrow. Kelvin Banks will commit later this month and Texas remains in the thick of that race as well. I'd also still characterize them as the leader for Devon Campbell at the moment. If they added those four players, it would be the best offensive line class the Longhorns have signed in the last few years. Throw in players like Harold Perkins, Bryce Anderson, Evan Stewart, Brenen Thompson and the many other guys they are still pursuing, and this has the makings of a strong group. They currently sit at No. 6 nationally, and could easily rise. This is a far cry from where Tom Herman's class sat at this point last year.

image.thumb.png.8d4911af018f8a98b91a7e02ea95dfc7.png

Sark has been a great recruiter for his entire career. Seems weird that two bad days in June/July means he’s incapable of closing and needs to go to recruiting school. 

Frustrating days for sure but just as much I blame the $9.95ers for setting a definitive narrative and then being dead-ass wrong about them. 

• Like 2

Haha, i just had a chance to come back to the site and see the reactions from my post last night. Now, it seems like a lot of you are coming around to seeing what i have said months ago. You take pleasure in picking on little things like "official" vs. "Unofficial" instead of seeing the problem right in front of you because you feel like you won an argument. There is no cure for homerism.

We deserve all of what we have been getting for years. I have two degrees from Texas, been a long time donor and go to games whenever I can. I am ecstatic with what CDC has done with other programs but i wasn't happy with the Sark hire. He may work out but the odds are not that great.

This board is full of dudes who like to live in a bubble. You like to make fun of other boards but i am convinced their collective intelligence is far superior to yours. If you're in a bubble with a herd, you are never wrong and are never challenged. That's what you want. Good luck to us. Hope Sark can do great things. I will be watching games and following recruiting whenever i can but this is my last post in this board, which should please most of you. :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 58

Haha, i just had a chance to come back to the site and see the reactions from my post last night. Now, it seems like a lot of you are coming around to seeing what i have said months ago. You take pleasure in picking on little things like "official" vs. "Unofficial" instead of seeing the problem right in front of you because you feel like you won an argument. There is no cure for homerism.
We deserve all of what we have been getting for years. I have two degrees from Texas, been a long time donor and go to games whenever I can. I am ecstatic with what CDC has done with other programs but i wasn't happy with the Sark hire. He may work out but the odds are not that great.
This board is full of dudes who like to live in a bubble. You like to make fun of other boards but i am convinced their collective intelligence is far superior to yours. If you're in a bubble with a herd, you are never wrong and are never challenged. That's what you want. Good luck to us. Hope Sark can do great things. I will be watching games and following recruiting whenever i can but this is my last post in this board, which should please most of you.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This board is full of dudes who like to live in a bubble. You like to make fun of other boards but i am convinced their collective intelligence is far superior to yours. If you're in a bubble with a herd, you are never wrong and are never challenged. That's what you want. Good luck to us. Hope Sark can do great things. I will be watching games and following recruiting whenever i can but this is my last post in this board, which should please most of you. :)

You’re right, that does please most of us.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Jokes on you. None of this is real. none of us went to UT. UT doesn’t exist. Football is a figment of your imagination. You’re now at your breaking point, here is your loss. 

Simulation is over.

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I wasn't involved with the beating you took last night, but I am all for this being your last post on this board. Thanks for the heads up and go get fucked elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Good. Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This board is full of dudes who like to live in a bubble. You like to make fun of other boards but i am convinced their collective intelligence is far superior to yours. If you're in a bubble with a herd, you are never wrong and are never challenged. That's what you want.

The guy whose only contribution was handwringing and being factually wrong is boasting about 2 degrees and propping up texags? 
Found the trash accounting degree. Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I wonder if Jacob Sexton is a realistic option. I am likely in the minority here, but I wanted him in the recruiting class. 

I don't think you're in the minority. I would have liked us to go after both him and Williams.

I think the ship has sailed. He's committing on Saturday.

So what is more likely, Cam sensed numbers were tight, and gave a silent to hold his spot at UT until he decided which school he really wanted to go to or the visit high wore off and he decided he really wanted to go to Oregon? Either way the staff can't allow this to happen, telling Sexton we have no room when this commitment was 100% in can't happen. I think it is probably always best to let a kid go home and think about it after wanting to commit while on a visit, or put a statute of limitations on a silent commit. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting