Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

So awful. What the fuck is it about soccer that makes it so much more likely for guys to die on the pitch? Seems like it happens way more than in really any other sport. 

I honestly thought them going to 5 subs was a step in helping get away from those/these types of events.

This happened recently with a Florida or Florida State basketball player I think but he was quickly revived and got through it just fine.

Doesn't seem like this was a quick resuscitation if one at all. 

Russell Westbrook had a teammate in high school collapse and die. Seems like basketball and soccer are the worst offenders. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This happened recently with a Florida or Florida State basketball player I think but he was quickly revived and got through it just fine.

Doesn't seem like this was a quick resuscitation if one at all. 

Yeah continued CPR and they shocked him. It didn't seem like it helped them.

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Dude, shut the fuck up with the arm chair diagnosis.

Stuff like this is not hard to diagnose and what he mentioned is easily the most likely offender. What do you think it was, terminal pancreatic cancer? 

1 minute ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Did I say that?  Why try to sit there and postulate what happened versus just hoping for the best for the player?

Why is everyone like this whenever something tragic happens? We'd like to know why it happened and this forum is for discussing things. It's a valid question. My MA advisor died suddenly when a pulmonary embolism burst while on a ladder in the archives in Italy reaching for a book. We all wanted to know why it happened. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hopefully everything turns out fine. That shit was terrifying, I mean, I got nauseous watching that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like that. Can’t imagine how his family and teammates were feeling. Prayers. 

21 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

do athletes at this level all get echos for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

It is not a universal policy, no.

But there is some merit to screening.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is reported historically as the most common cause of SCD in athletes younger than 35 years of age. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/)

Usually if someone has a past or family history of HCM (or HOCM) then you screen with echocardiograms.

A more layman friendly resource: https://www.nm.org/conditions-and-care-areas/cardiovascular-care/center-for-heart-failure/hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It is not a universal policy, no.

But there is some merit to screening.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is reported historically as the most common cause of SCD in athletes younger than 35 years of age. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/)

Usually if someone has a past or family history of HCM (or HOCM) then you screen with echocardiograms.

A more layman friendly resource: https://www.nm.org/conditions-and-care-areas/cardiovascular-care/center-for-heart-failure/hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

He's been with Ajax, sold to Tottenham and then to Inter Milan. I can't imagine him not going through every screening and test possible over that last 10 years.