Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Maybe.  I dunno.  Sometimes the other team wins in the Euros.  Sorry for the shit-talking, I know European football is a very polite sport with no room for smack talk.  My apologies for rooting for some squads and against others.  I get predictions wrong all the time in sports, everybody does.  I hate England, Belgium, Italy, France, Russia, and a bunch of others.  Those Spaniards, they seem nice.  It's been a great tourney so far, I'm enjoying it and look forward to more face-fucking.  

Lol. It wasn't you in particular. A lot of folks have been low on England and I've never been quite sure about that. They are talented and I feel like got the monkey off their back a bit at the last WC.

so on müller’s miss.....  no one is talking about it..... bbc totally ignoring it.... only mcmanaman disney postgame for a split second placed the blame and hypermumbled the name of the responsible party that NO ONE ELSE is mentioning......  and it should  have been and would have been a totally different outcome.

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so on müller’s miss.....  no one is talking about it..... bbc totally ignoring it.... only mcmanaman disney postgame for a split second placed the blame and hypermumbled the name of the responsible party that NO ONE ELSE is mentioning......  and it should  have been and would have been a totally different outcome.

i don't understand why so many guys, especially someone as experienced and talented as Mueller, refuse to just chip the keeper there. you know he's going to ground; just chip the ball even 1-2 feet off the ground and it's a goal 10/10. but no. so many guys try to slot it home perfectly, despite the fact that the keeper is *so* far off his line. seriously guys- just. chip. the. keeper. it doesn't have to be some beautiful panenka. just do this:

it's actually a huge pet peeve of mine in case you cant tell lol. 

Edited by shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

D2FC7B0F-4F5C-4F7C-973E-64112D682D09.jpeg

And it should. That is the nature of competitive sports.

I have a friend who played for the Browns and he was in both AFC title game losses to the Broncos. And even those those games were heartbreakers he told me once that the game that still gets him was losing a state high school playoff game to Beaver Falls H.S. while playing for a team that was better than the year before team that won the state title.

if Belgium can get just 45 minutes of a serviceable KDB against Italy, that would be big.  in one of the group stage matches, Belgium looked like shite in the first half.  KDB came in to start the second half and they were a totally different team.  he's the engine.  hope he can play and be mostly fit.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

So what’s to talk about? We agree the game changes if he makes that because it’s level and 10 minutes to play. No one questions it.

But he didn’t make it, so … what do we talk about?

Sports are full of what if’s. What if Kane had a better first touch right before the half? What if … 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

if Belgium can get just 45 minutes of a serviceable KDB against Italy, that would be big.  in one of the group stage matches, Belgium looked like shite in the first half.  KDB came in to start the second half and they were a totally different team.  he's the engine.  hope he can play and be mostly fit.

KDB is Belgium’s Obi Wan.   It’ll be Italy’s to loose if he can’t play or isn’t fully fit. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s kind of the essence of national futbol rivalries.

No doubt. Is it cuntish? Sure. Did the kids parents die in a fire? Nah. She's crying because her footy team lost. Now she's a meme. If her parents were smart, they'd print t-shirts and sell them in Trafalgar Square.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

No doubt. Is it cuntish? Sure. Did the kids parents die in a fire? Nah. She's crying because her footy team lost. Now she's a meme. If her parents were smart, they'd print t-shirts and sell them in Trafalgar Square.

Might help pay for her therapy. 

Well, I mean, “cuntish” may well be the Engerland futbol motto….
  • Hook 'Em 1

Um, considering the determination in her eyes.  and the shitty art projects I've seen at her primary school are surpassed by her engineer prowess...if I'm English...I might tap the brakes on taunting her right now.  I've seen this movie before. 

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I still laugh every time I see that crying ou kid from like 15 years ago.  And I hope he's having a shitty day.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

England 2-0 Germany: Fans cheered when crying German girl appeared on the big screen

960.jpg

...As the English fans went delirious, many Germans were probably sneaking out.

But not one young family.

Deep into stoppage time, Wembley was at fever pitch as Thomas Muller was substituted. As he was walking off the pitch, the cameraman at Wembley focused on a young German girl in tears being comforted by her two parents.

And when that image came up on the big screens inside the stadium, a loud cheer of delight was let out by many England fans.

And if you think they were cheering for Muller being substituted, you're mistaken. 

690.jpg

690.jpg

690.jpg

690.jpg

690.jpg

690.jpg

You’ve got to feel sorry for the poor girl, being mocked by 40,000 English supporters.

But fans of the Three Lions have shed many tears themselves down the years and will know exactly how she’s feeling.

She’ll no doubt experience a German World Cup win at some point in her life - something many England fans inside the stadium on Tuesday haven’t witnessed.

https://www.givemesport.com/1714289-england-20-germany-fans-cheered-when-crying-german-girl-appeared-on-the-big-screen

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't understand why so many guys, especially someone as experienced and talented as Mueller, refuse to just chip the keeper there. you know he's going to ground; just chip the ball even 1-2 feet off the ground and it's a goal 10/10. but no. so many guys try to slot it home perfectly, despite the fact that the keeper is *so* far off his line. seriously guys- just. chip. the. keeper. it doesn't have to be some beautiful panenka. just do this:

it's actually a huge pet peeve of mine in case you cant tell lol. 

rewatching and actually digesting yesterday's match i carefully reviewed the sequence

sterling committed the error that very nearly negated his goal and he will remain a risk because he does sterling things

regarding the non-chip, it's only 100% when the keeper goes to ground and pickford didn't do that

as a pool fan it's difficult to praise pickford, but he did what a full international keeper is supposed to do: close the distance to meet the attacker just outside the box, but don't go to ground until the leg is cocked

it's a very difficult skill to match all of the vectors at speed, but if done right, no keeper can chip you

in the video you posted, the keeper goes to ground early making the chip 100%

pickford didn't do that

oh, and once again, 3-goal sterling created the blunder and was apoplectic surrender cobra watching muller run in

england got lucky

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57674875

Euro 2020: 'Fighter' Raheem Sterling praised by England boss Gareth Southgate

England boss Gareth Southgate has praised Raheem Sterling's "incredible resilience and hunger" after the Manchester City forward's standout performances at Euro 2020.

Sterling has scored three goals, including the opener in Tuesday's 2-0 win over Germany, to help the Three Lions reach the quarter-finals.

Sterling has netted 15 goals in his past 20 England games, having gone 27 without scoring before that.

"He is a fighter," said Southgate.

"He has got an incredible resilience and hunger.

"He has developed over the last couple of years this real hunger to score.

"Even in the games where the the ball has flashed across the box earlier in the tournament, he has been in between the posts.

"He is finding himself in these areas and yes, his drive is fantastic, we know the journey he has been on with England and I am so happy for him to be able to deliver the performances he has."

Germany win 'redemption' for Southgate

England win over Germany watched by more than 20m on BBC

Southgate also said he is happy for fans to continue to ask questions about the 26-year-old, who he feels uses criticism as motivation.

"To deliver them at Wembley will have been really special for him and, as you said, the goals return is incredible," added Southgate, who highlighted Sterling's two-goal performance in England's Uefa Nations League win over Spain in October 2018 as a "real lift-off moment" for the former Liverpool winger.

"Absolutely incredible, really, but yes, please keep asking the questions because if we cannot motivate him everyone else will certainly be able to."

England travel to Rome for the Euro 2020 quarter-final against Ukraine on Saturday in a bid to reach the semi-finals of the tournament for the first time in 25 years.

Victory over Andriy Shevchenko's side would set up a last-four encounter with Denmark or the Czech Republic.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/30/a-downward-spiral-that-began-in-2016-german-media-reacts-to-englands-win

‘A downward spiral that began in 2016’: German media react to England’s win

Press criticises outgoing coach Joachim Löw for selection and tactics, tempered with praise for opponents’ ‘efficiency’

For England, Tuesday’s 2-0 win ended a 55-year jinx against a side they had repeatedly failed to edge past in the knockout rounds of major tournaments. But for Germany, too, the defeat at Wembley marked the end of an era.

“The Euros were meant to be a dignified send-off for national coach Joachim Löw,” said Boris Büchler in a comment for broadcaster ZDF. In his first 10 years in charge of Germany’s national team, Löw had taken his sides at least to the semi-final of every tournament they participated in. In 2014, he came home from Rio de Janeiro with the World Cup.

Yet the dignified send-off was not to be, wrote Büchler. “Instead, the exit in the last 16 is the logical consequence of a downward spiral that began in 2016.”

For Süddeutsche Zeitung, the nature of Germany’s defeat had an uncomfortably familiar feel. “Yes, of course there were two historic outliers, the World Cup victory in 2014 and the group-stage disaster of 2018 – but all of Löw’s other tournaments followed the same pattern: every time, Germany’s last match in the competition left us with the feeling that with a little bit more courage, determination and toughness, there could have been more.”

Other newspapers put it in more scathing terms. The match against England, wrote Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, ended a period of “self-deception” in which Löw and the German FA had indulged themselves in the belief that they could rebuild the team after the retirement of the golden generation that had lifted the trophy in 2014.

“With the 2014 World Cup, Jogi Löw built himself a monument,” commented the broadcaster Heiko Neumann on ARD television after the match. “Since then, he has spent seven years tearing it down again.”

The website of Der Spiegel criticised Löw’s tactics and team selection. “This team has players of a high calibre, many of them are star performers for international top clubs,” wrote Peter Ahrens. “But as a team of 11 players the national side hasn’t clicked for some time, and the coach has to take some blame for that.

“His choice to remove Joshua Kimmich’s driving force from the centre of midfield did not pay dividends. He didn’t have a lucky hand in the choice of his strikers. Leroy Sané disappointed against Hungary. Against England, Löw pulled Timo Werner off the pitch after an hour.”

While many in Germany will greet the coach’s departure with relief, Spiegel warned of the challenges facing his successor and former assistant, Hansi Flick: “There are many exceptionally talented players in German football, but most of them were also at this tournament.”

In the grand postmortem of the Löw era, England had only a bit part to play, even if Gareth Southgate’s team were praised as the deserving winners of the night. “England was too clever,” wrote Die Welt. “In an incredibly tight match, it was efficiency that made the difference,” commented Kicker magazine, upending stereotypes of old.

“The English didn’t even need an outstanding performance to edge this tie in a completely deserved manner, with their fourth victory without conceding,” wrote Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. “For England the fairytale may continue,” wrote taz (Die Tageszeitung). “For us and Jogi, meanwhile, it is finished.”

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.republicworld.com/sports-news/football-news/kevin-de-bruyne-injury-update-belgium-star-misses-training-major-doubt-for-italy-game.html

Last Updated: 30th June, 2021 18:38 IST

Kevin De Bruyne Injury Update: Belgium Star Misses Training, Major Doubt For Italy Game

Kevin De Bruyne injury update: The Manchester City midfielder missed Belgium's training session alongside Eden Hazard as the Red Devils prepare to play Italy.

Belgium were hit with a major injury setback ahead of their Euro 2020 quarter-finals against Italy as Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne did not train with the team ahead of their all-important clash against the Azzurri. They featured for Belgium in their 1-0 win over Portugal on Sunday evening to cement a spot in the Euro 2020 quarter-finals. However, the win came at a heavy cost as Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne were substituted during the game amid injury concerns. With the two Belgium players reportedly in a race against time to be with their team for the upcoming matches, we have a look at Kevin De Bruyne injury update and answer the question, "Will De Bruyne play against Italy?"'

Eden Hazard injury update: Real Madrid star unlikely to return soon, admits team head coach

Belgium captain Eden Hazard had a wonderful outing against Ronaldo & co. in Belgium’s last-16 tie in the ongoing Euro 2020. The Real Madrid attacker suffered a niggle as he pulled up in the second half of the match due to a leg muscle problem. He was seen limping off the field with some discomfort in his hamstring as Roberto Martinez decided to immediately call him off and substitute him around the 84th-minute mark. Yannick Carrasco took to the field and replaced the former Chelsea star.

READ | Copa America quarter-final fixtures, schedule and predictions

Following the win over Portugal, Hazard was seen wearing a strap on his right leg as the Red Devils celebrated their massive win over Portugal last week. Speaking with the media right after the game, Belgium manager Roberto Martinez was quoted saying that De Bruyne took a really bad tackle and how they will have to wait for any diagnosis.  

Roberto Martinez shared across a Kevin De Bruyne injury update revealing how the Manchester City star will follow down Eden Hazard and will not be able to participate in the quarter-final on Friday. The 30-year-old midfielder suffered an ankle injury while featuring for Belgium against the Euro 2016 winners as De Bruyne was hit by a strong challenge from Joao Palhinha in the dying minutes of the first half.

The Manchester City star tried to shrug it off but was unable to continue and had to be substituted just 3 minutes after the start of the second half. However, the Red Devils head coach was also quick to add that he is optimistic about seeing the duo getting back and playing for Belgium if they manage to progress in the ongoing Euro 2020. 

READ | Cristiano Ronaldo transfer news: Portugal captain not negotiating new deal with Juventus

Belgium vs Italy predicted lineups

Italy: Gianluigi Donnarumma, Giovanni Di Lorenzo, Leonardo Bonucci, Alessandro Bastoni, Leonardo Spinazzola, Nicolo Barella, Jorginho, Manuel Locatelli, Domenico Berardi, Ciro Immobile, Lorenzo Insigne

Belgium: Courtois; Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen; Meunier, Tielemans, Witsel, T Hazard; Y. Carrasco, D. Mertens, Lukaku, 

READ | Germany captain Manuel Neuer holds back tears after defeat against England in Euro 2020

55 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ITALY predicted lineup: Gianluigi Donnarumma, Giovanni Di Lorenzo, Leonardo Bonucci, Alessandro Bastoni, Leonardo Spinazzola, Nicolo Barella, Jorginho, Manuel Locatelli, Domenico Berardi, Ciro Immobile, Lorenzo Insigne

BELGIUM predicted lineup: Courtois; Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen; Meunier, Tielemans, Witsel, T Hazard; Y. Carrasco, D. Mertens, Lukaku, 

READ | Germany captain Manuel Neuer holds back tears after defeat against England in Euro 2020

As a person who spent my first 2 months in Argentina living in the family home of an Argentine who came to the country from Italy when he was 14 years old with the name "Luigi Macchiavelli", I am a big fan of really Italian names. I am quite pleased with 9 of the 11 first names of this predicted starting 11.

Gianluigi (I mentioned "Luigi" already)
Giovanni (Reyna's name... and the last name of a brat from when I was a camp counselor for kids from the "Tri-State Area".)
Leonardo x 2
Alessandro
(Italian grad student also in the home my first two months in Buenos Aires)
Nicolo (ice cream shop name near my flat from 2010-13)
Domenico
Ciro
Lorenzo
(I bought my first leather jacket at the market in San Lorenzo plaza in Florence, Italy)

Just fucking quality Tano* names.

*"Tano" is Argentine slang for Italian.
"Gallego" (pronounced "Gah-SHAY-go") for someone from Spain.
"El Pirata" for someone from Great Britain... especially English, because England rose to prominence through government organized piracy through their navy.
"Yanqui" (pronounced "SHANK-ee" for someone from the USA.

• Hook 'Em 1

1. create strategically timed calendar items overlapping superiors all day tomorrow

2. wait for gaps to fill in

3. re-arrange time/length of said meetings for visuals because reasons

4. create calendar traps

5. spring calendar traps

6. allow situations to play out (they're fluid....)

7.  ?????

8. fingers crossed free bandwidth to watch quarterfinals on the friday before long weekend

Guest Lobo
3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Wish they were Sat/Sunday for the Drinking, but I've got that bottle here in my desk so...

Dude, nobody works Friday afternoons in the Summer.  If you need me to write you a note, I got that kinda power.  early liquid lunch on Friday with Spain/Switzerland.  Followed by some euro-nationalist slurs on here to upset Ztejas.  Probably work during Italy/Belgium honestly so I can not feel like I have anything to do workwise over the holiday weekend.  Then find a happy hour spot for the early Copa match.  Then wait until Independence Day to drink and make more slurs on here to bother Ztejas.  Monday's gonna be the shitty day, hangover, no football matches, and I'm the only sucker probably working that day with everybody else rolling their holiday over.