Summer Transfer Window 2021 –

406W30th

that would be incredible if he and ramos get together on psg.  hell, why not just drop neymar's scrub ass off the team, move messi to left wing, mbappe to right wing, and just go sign up ronaldo to play the 9 at this point?

i think messi should take a long look at everton.  perfect landing spot.

29 minutes ago, sidis said:

that would be incredible if he and ramos get together on psg.  hell, why not just drop neymar's scrub ass off the team, move messi to left wing, mbappe to right wing, and just go sign up ronaldo to play the 9 at this point?

i think messi should take a long look at everton.  perfect landing spot.

I'm waiting to see how Messi affects Sargent's possible Norwich move as well. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I'm good with Messi not in the Premier League playing for Pep.

Going to PSG makes the most sense. 

1) Pochettino came up through Newell's Old Boys in Rosario. Messi came up through Newell's Old Boys in Rosario before leaving for HGH in Barcelona when he was about 13.

2) Between playing for Espanyol & managing Espanyol, Pochettino spent 12 years (or more) living in Barcelona. Messi has spent over 20 years in Barcelona.

3) Di María & Messi have won the U-20 World Cup, the Olympic Gold, and finally the Copa America together (and might have won the World Cup if not for Di María's injury) and so winning the Champions League together before trying to go for a World Cup would be a nice capper.

4) Mauro Icardi would be jettisoned, most likely, because Messi doesn't like Icardi.

5) Neymar and Messi are close friends from their time together (with Suarez) in Barcelona. [see article below]

6) Qatar Sports Investments would pay out the ass in endorsement contracts leading up to the 2022 World Cup, just like they already do to Neymar, to get around financial fair play.

7) Messi could go a little easy at times and wouldn't have to always start in Ligue 1, which would be much easier on his 34 year-old body than getting roughed up in the EPL where wins weren't guaranteed.

8 ) Argentine's don't care for English weather. Plus, Parisian culture is much closer to Barcelona's culture. They're not identical, but the experience for his wife & kids would be much better if they are going to live with him in his city of choice and it's much closer via flight (1hr 50 mins, 15+ times/day) vs Manchester (2hr 25mins, 1-3 times/day).

9) Man City just jettisoned Messi's good body Agüero. He wouldn't then sweep into Manchester to show that he could win the Champions League with Citeh, but Agüero couldn't. That's not what Messi does to his buddies.

One of the 2 main newspapers in Argentina had an article about Messi & Neymar after the Copa America and it was all about how the start to their friendship was rough, but they became 2 of the 3 amigos of the Southern Cone playing together in Barcelona. I will post the start in Spanish and then the Google Translates translation.

Messi y Neymar, el mensaje contracultural de dos amigos charlando en cueros

Símbolos de Argentina y Brasil, regalaron una imagen poco usual entre dos selecciones enfrentadas desde el fondo de la historia

12 de julio de 202115:27
Ir a notas de Andrés Eliceche
LA NACION

Messi charla con Neymar tras la final de la Copa América, en el estadio Maracaná. La imagen recorrió el mundo.
Ricardo Moraes / Reuters - REUTERS

“Tu brasilerito no arranca, ¿eh?”. El invierno de 2014 congelaba Catalunya y Neymar no terminaba de entrar en calor. Para febrero, cuando cumplió 22 años, una lesión en el tobillo lo tenía fuera de la cancha pero, sobre todo, lejos del círculo de confianza de Lionel Messi, el autor de aquella frase, un dardo que se clavó en el pecho de Sandro Rossell, el presidente del Fútbol Club Barcelona, que había comprado ese diamante seis meses atrás al Santos. No alcanzaban las muestras de adulación del paulista: “Quiero que Messi gane el Mundial”, llegó a decir en esos días, antes de Brasil 2014. Pero no había caso. En el fondo, un argumento de peso tenía enojado al súper crack: había descubierto que el recién llegado tenía un contrato superior al suyo, algo que leyó como una falta de respeto de parte del club. Pataleó hasta que recalcularon sus números. ¿Cómo podía ser que el “brasilerito”, que tenía todo por hacer, cobrara más dinero que él, que ya había hecho todo?

Pero Neymar no tenía mucho que ver con esos manejos turbios de Rossell, años después condenado por la justicia por administración fraudulenta. Él quería genuinamente a ese argentino que le esquivaba la mirada. El mismo que un día, aburrido de los elogios, lo encaró firme: “Dejá de decir que soy tu ídolo y ponete a jugar”, casi que le ordenó. Tal vez, en ese momento se sembró la semilla de una amistad que acaba de tener su muestra pública más grande...

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/futbol/messi-y-neymar-el-mensaje-contracultural-de-dos-amigos-charlando-en-cueros-nid12072021/

ENGLISH TRANSLATION from Google:

Messi and Neymar, the countercultural message of two friends chatting naked (Shirtless?)

Symbols of Argentina and Brazil, gave an unusual image between two teams facing each other from the bottom of history

7YD7JLUE4VF5DJHCDQGJ53AA54.jpg

Messi talks with Neymar after the final of the Copa América, at the Maracana stadium. The image traveled the world.Ricardo Moraes / Reuters - REUTERS

"Your little Brazilian won't start, huh?". The winter of 2014 frozen Catalonia and Neymar did not finish warming up. By February, when he turned 22 years old, an ankle injury had him off the court but, above all, far from the circle of confidence of Lionel Messi , the author of that phrase, a dart that stuck in Sandro Rossell's chest , the president of Fútbol Club Barcelona, who had bought that diamond six months ago from Santos. The samples of flattery of the Paulista were not enough: "I want Messi to win the World Cup," he came to say in those days, before Brazil 2014. But there was no case. Deep down, a weighty argument had the super star angry: he had discovered that the newcomer had a higher contract than his, something that he read as a lack of respect on the part of the club. He kicked until their numbers were recalculated. How could it be that the "little Brazilian", who had everything to do, charged more money than he, who had already done everything?

But Neymar had little to do with Rossell's shady dealings, years later convicted by the courts for fraudulent administration. He genuinely loved that Argentine who avoided his gaze. The same one that one day, bored with the praise, he faced it firmly: “Stop saying that I am your idol and start playing”, almost that he ordered. Perhaps, at that moment the seeds of a friendship were sown that has just had its largest public display.

M5PGBN2BFVGING5TC6MNR5JQ4A.JPG

The greeting of Lionel Messi and Neymar before the final.Wagner Meier - Getty Images South America

Two friends naked (Shirtless?) , stretching their legs after a dive in a dirt paddock. That was, in that conversation at the foot of the Maracana, much more than two gems of brutally commercialized football. Although they had just played the first final in history between Brazil and Argentina in that temple . The outbreak of their initial cries - of joy and sadness - were beginning to subside. The truth flowed, the most authentic of the night, even if they had not proposed it. Football in its purest form. Virgin. Oscar Ruggeri indoctrinated a thousand timesfrom TV that he never changed his shirt with a Brazilian, that is not done. As if being Argentine (or being Brazilian) needed to reaffirm himself with those haughty gestures. Tribunes. As if soccer is more important than people. As if life were a ball.

Tite says it all the better, a gentleman whose values do not alter with a result: “There is greatness in defeat and in recognizing the rival. Perhaps, the image that was seen between Messi and Neymar after the game is a message that we have to give. It has the human side, education and friendship that transcends. There are opponents, not enemies ”, the Brazilian coach pondered after the final, with the smell of the lost final just permeating his skin. That is why it is worth more. Neymar himself wrote it in his social networks, after a night in which he will have slept little: “Losing hurts me, it hurts me ... it is something with which I have not yet learned to live. Yesterday when I lost I went to give a hug to the biggest and best in history that I saw play. My friend and brother MESSI. I was sad and I said 'fdp* you beat me'. I am very sad that I lost. But this guy sucks! I have great respect for what he has done for football and especially for me. I HATE TO LOSE !!! But enjoy your title, football was waiting for you for that moment! CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER HDP** ”. Thus, with Messi in capital letters and insults that are really nods to the intimacy that they knew how to build.

* "fdp" = "filjo da puta" (Portuguese for "HDP")
**"HDP" = "Hijo de Puta"

HJD43F5R4RGXRNW2ZDCMUVSTSA.JPG

The first days in Barcelona together were not always friendly, although the photo suggests otherwise.Manu Fernandez - AP

They are separated by five years (Messi 34, Neymar 29), different roots and lifestyles that have nothing to do with it. Messi is surrounded by the family sobriety of Castelldefels, his Catalan refuge away from the noise of the city. Neymar, in those four years they shared in Barcelona, lived his single life in Pedralbes, near the heart of the scene. They were joined, in part, by the one who arrived last: Luis Suárez, the other member of “Los tres sudacas” , the WhatsApp group that they created then and still keeps them connected. Roasts became a shared religion, and together they won Barcelona's last Champions League, in 2015. Neymar became a hero one night at the Camp Nou, when Barcelona came back from an incredible series against PSG with two decisive goals of his own. But his glory was also his downfall : the imperial figure of Messi, celebrating in front of the people, caught the attention of all the media around the world. It was always said that it was then that the Brazilian made the decision to move away: to be number 1 he had to stop being in the shadow of 10.

His friend didn't stop him. The other way around: she encouraged him to go where he was happy. Nothing would alter the relationship they had invented. Neymar returned to Barcelona from time to time, and two years ago Messi pressured the leadership to bring him back to the club: "Come here, I'll make you win the Ballon d'Or" , he invited him, definitely light years away from that icy start between the two . It didn't happen then, but somehow it will happen now: Neymar has just bought a house in Tibidabo, the mountain west of the city, for his son and mother to live there. You will travel even more frequently on the air route between Paris and your favorite city in Europe. There will be new roasts. And if Suárez comes down from Madrid, the party will be complete.

"Football is more than winning or losing," Barcelona wrote in their networks on Sunday, with the video of the hug that went around the world. Argentina won, Brazil lost. Or not. The "brasilerito" and the "shit" wrote their own triumph together . The iconic photograph of the Copa América is not of a goal: they are two friends laughing, naked (Shirtless?). Forever.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/futbol/messi-y-neymar-el-mensaje-contracultural-de-dos-amigos-charlando-en-cueros-nid12072021/

Edited by Napoleon

Damn, this sucks if true.  I was thinking that his return was a done deal at about a 50% reduction in salary but I read an article just this morning about how Barca still needed to dump a lot of salary to make it work and were having trouble finding anybody to take their other big salaries off their hands.  Barca with Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta was the team that finally got me into soccer.

On the bright side it will be even more hilarious watching PSG choke in CL.

Edited by WBT

16 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Well.  Furk.

I was reading some stuff this morning, comparing and contrasting this deal and Kane's situation. Grealish is represented by Jonathan Barnett, while Kane is represented by his brother. Grealish had clear language (fee, circumstances, etc) that would trigger a release clause. Kane thinks he has a "gentleman's agreement."

Kane isn't the only one, but way too many soccer players have poor representation, brothers, fathers, friends, etc. It's a real head scratcher. The case of Emiliano Sala, the player that died in the plane crash a few years ago was scrutinized because of similar poor rep, who was the same guy who hired the fateful flight.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i didn't think anything of it when Neymar posted this two days ago:

F8787FB0-A421-4287-94E8-A1EAE7917E2D.jpeg

Is Veratti the midget on the far right? 

The size checks out, but the face looks slightly different. If it is, everyone could wear their federation's gold medal from this summer so that Neymar could see what one looks like.

UPDATE: Just did a tattoo search, that's Veratti.

Also, on the US Transfer Front... Gianluca Busio to Venezia is official. Base fee of $6M with a ceiling of $11M.

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Also, on the US Transfer Front... Gianluca Busio to Venezia is official. Base fee of $6M with a ceiling of $11M.

well, with Busio and Tessmann, looks like i've got a Serie A team to root for.

unfortunately, Serie A just moved from ESPN to CBS Sports, i.e., Paramount Plus.  i don't have that streaming service.  but with Champions League there, i'll probably pony up to watch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

unfortunately, Serie A just moved from ESPN to CBS Sports, i.e., Paramount Plus.  i don't have that streaming service.  but with Champions League there, i'll probably pony up to watch.

I'll watch some Venezia as well.  Gotta get caught up on my ancestral home team as well, Napoli.   

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I appreciate Venezia's approach to jersey unveiling.

I walked by their stadium when I was in Venice a few years ago - it's charming and very Venetian, but wild to think of it as a top-level sports environment. Its capacity is under 7.5k.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

A front three of Mbappe, Messi, and Neymar might score some goals.

I would think that they would look to get rid of Icardi and then perhaps bring in a different Argentine #9 to come off the bench.

NBC Sports

Report: Aguero wants to leave Barcelona after Messi’s departure

Andy Edwards
Fri, August 6, 2021, 4:08 PM

Here’s the thing about everything that’s going on at Barcelona right now: It is undoubtedly going to get worse (perhaps much worse) before it gets better (even a little bit), as evidenced by multiple reports that Sergio Aguero now wants to leave in the wake of Lionel Messi’s unexpected departure.

Aguero only just arrived at Barcelona a few days ago, yet he now wishes to leave the club and has instructed his lawyers to examine his contract to determine the legalities of doing so. Aguero signed a two-year contract as a free agent this summer after 10 legendary seasons at Manchester City.

It was widely reported that much of the draw for Aguero to join Barcelona was the opportunity to play with Messi, a dear friend of at least 15 years, under assurances that the Barca legend would be staying at the club. This point further illustrates that Messi and Barcelona truly had worked through all of their differences and everyone involved believed with absolute certainty that… a miracle would occur and La Liga would turn their heads while Barcelona president Joan Laporta scribbles Messi’s name on a piece of paper behind La Liga president Javier Tebas’s bat.

In short, the individuals presently running Barcelona remain in denial over the severity of the challenge they face.

There are also potential questions over the validity of Aguero’s contract, given that Barcelona are not currently able to register him or either of their other free signings this window, Memphis Depay and Eric Garcia. Barcelona’s finances are not currently within the salary cap limits set forth by La Liga, therefore no new players can be added until the club’s total wage bill is under the limit.

A number of senior figures — Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets and Sergi Roberto — previously agreed up to 50-percent wage reductions to help the club reduce its astronomical wage bill, but even still the problem persists. Messi had also agreed to halve his wages at the start of the new contract he recently agree with Barcelona.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-aguero-wants-leave-barcelona-210805845.html