Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

Yeah even that Tennessee Tech Super Regional was pretty on edge.
Of course nobody could do much against them except Kody. Hopefully our team shows a little more spark this time.

That TnTech squad was full of mashers and piss/vinegar, especially after how they fought back for game 7 vs ole miss in Oxford.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I think people forget how good that Tennessee Tech team was. 

That was far from a cakewalk. They were a top 15 RPI team. Anything can happen in college baseball but USF and South Alabama are nowhere close to the caliber of that Tennessee Tech team. 

I was just trying to think of a 2-0 Super Regional. The 2014 Super against Houston was also pretty straightforward but still pretty intense. Unless you are blowing out the other squad just what is at stake make it very not boring.

The only easy Super I can remember is 2004 when we just torched Vandy with huge blowouts both games. Man that 2004 team was on fire going into the CWS.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I think people forget how good that Tennessee Tech team was. 

That was far from a cakewalk. They were a top 15 RPI team. Anything can happen in college baseball but USF and South Alabama are nowhere close to the caliber of that Tennessee Tech team. 

Tennessee Tech beat us in game 1. That was no cakewalk. 

The expectations of the baseball program and basketball program are insane when you think of moments like this. We would now be disappointed with a "sweet 16" finish in baseball and would have extended Shaka just for getting there. Hopefully soon both teams will see a sweet 16 as the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The expectations of the baseball program and basketball program are insane when you think of moments like this. We would now be disappointed with a "sweet 16" finish in baseball and would have extended Shaka just for getting there. Hopefully soon both teams will see a sweet 16 as the floor. 

There are some oddball exceptions, like were all pretty pleasantly surprised with making it to the regional finals against Long Beach State in 2017 just because of how bad things had been, but generally if you are not in the College World Series it is a disappointing season for this program. All the great things the 2010 team did just don't matter after...well...that thing happened which I don't want to discuss.

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

E3Qd-27XoAEXRYS?format=png&name=360x360

Maybe I am misremembering but while watching, I thought the MVP would be going to Cam Williams....   He was on fire and played some great defense as well.   Nothing against Zubia.... that was just my thought through the regional.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, bluto said:

Agreed, there’s a chance for action if antico is on 3rd

you called it, not third, but 1st to 2nd.  I think I heard on the telecast their starting C was hurt, so maybe he's got a quip about throwing a bean back to the mound.  At this level I would hope they would just slide over a middle infielder to back up an errant throw.  Added a ton of time to the ab clock waiting on that rainbow 200 times a game

53 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

True. I think USF and South Alabama are probably both very similar to Fairfield in talent/ability. 

The only difference is Texas will get USF or South Alabama's best arms in this setting. 

South has a R1 pick in LF, doubt Fairfield has a player of that quality.  Dude can rake, if we get them, that will be no easy out.  Their HC has a natty under his belt as Pitching coach at South Carolina.  We'll have our hands full if they advance. 

1 minute ago, Damor said:

Thanks @Valmy77, just scored tickets behind the dugout, row 5.  Unbelievably excited to make it back to the Disch.

Yeah I just saw some available on row 4, sec 1. I pre-registered for this super. If my tickets aren't comparable to that, I'ma be pissed..

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

South has a R1 pick in LF, doubt Fairfield has a player of that quality.  Dude can rake, if we get them, that will be no easy out.  Their HC has a natty under his belt as Pitching coach at South Carolina.  We'll have our hands full if they advance. 

I don't know about "easy out" and anything can happen in college baseball. 

But South Alabama was #58 in RPI coming into this weekend and 9-8 against Q1 and Q2 teams. They've been a meh team almost all year and wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason without the auto bid. 

58 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

There are some oddball exceptions, like were all pretty pleasantly surprised with making it to the regional finals against Long Beach State in 2017 just because of how bad things had been, but generally if you are not in the College World Series it is a disappointing season for this program. All the great things the 2010 team did just don't matter after...well...that thing happened which I don't want to discuss.

Thanks for ruining my morning 

This’ll get me in a better mood 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Maybe I am misremembering but while watching, I thought the MVP would be going to Cam Williams....   He was on fire and played some great defense as well.   Nothing against Zubia.... that was just my thought through the regional.

I think besides Daly, any of our starters could lay claim to MVP

Yeah the late start time sucked, especially knowing that we were going to be facing a pitching staff running on fumes, leading to lots of walks and pitching changes.  I feel like that kind of sucked the energy out of the crowd.  Also, the fact that it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a competitive game by early in the 2nd inning.

Guest Lobo

Even with our baseball brand, I don't think ESPN is gonna put a game featuring South Alabama or South Florida in primetime.  The slots on Friday are 11, 2, 5, and 8.  4 Supers will start Friday, 4 will start Saturday.  Everybody will play Saturday, and most will play Sunday.  Usually 2, maybe 3, Supers will continue thru Monday (which time slots are 12, 3, and 6).  I know Tenn. Tech put the fear in us in '18, but I don't see USA/USF being of that caliber.  I dunno.

FWIW-I think we start Friday and we start during the day (5pm slot at the latest)

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Yeah the late start time sucked, especially knowing that we were going to be facing a pitching staff running on fumes, leading to lots of walks and pitching changes.  I feel like that kind of sucked the energy out of the crowd.  Also, the fact that it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a competitive game by early in the 2nd inning.

If that was an afternoon game we would have been into it despite the shitty pitching on Fairfield's part. But yeah it being 10PM on Sunday night and us being way ahead kind of killed the atmosphere.

Still loved that moment where we cheered Pete Hansen though. Dude deserved it for his performance.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Even with our baseball brand, I don't think ESPN is gonna put a game featuring South Alabama or South Florida in primetime.  The slots on Friday are 11, 2, 5, and 8.  4 Supers will start Friday, 4 will start Saturday.  Everybody will play Saturday, and most will play Sunday.  Usually 2, maybe 3, Supers will continue thru Monday (which time slots are 12, 3, and 6).  I know Tenn. Tech put the fear in us in '18, but I don't see USA/USF being of that caliber.  I dunno.

FWIW-I think we start Friday and we start during the day (5pm slot at the latest)

I was gonna say Friday at 2 or 5 is likely. 

once I saw the game was at 8p I had to waive off from attending.   knew that I wouldnt get home till midnight or later and I had an early shift today.

You tell us to delay the game 1 hour so we can be on more "national" TV  and instead at the last minute,  OK I get it.

Then, without any notes or warning (My Spectrum guide showed it was supposed to be on ESPNU) it gets switched back to LHN....   so we waited a whole fucking hour to start later to play on the same damn channel we could have been on at 7 on anyway.

CDC better figure that shit out asap.

Guest Lobo

I'm also looking at some of the potential Super Regional matchups for TV purposes.  It could get weird.  Now we, as college baseball fiends, know these programs play great baseball, but some of these are gonna be tough for ESPN to slot, if they come to fruition:

UC-Irvine @ Texas Tech, Dallas Baptist @ Old Dominion, even East Carolina @ Vanderbilt (both awesome programs) is hard to get eyes on nationwide outside of a few southern fanatics.  Obviously ESPN will get with the NCAA and stagger 1 no-name Super to start on Friday, one to start on Saturday.  The flagship is carrying the 11am on Friday so that could be a bigger name series like ours, with the other 3 being on ESPNU.  Bias aside, I really don't see our series going 3 games, so it'd be foolish for ESPN to bake Monday around us going to a third game.  If the unthinkable happens, best to have it happen on Sunday when ESPN can flip coverages around (2 games are slotted for reach time slot on Sunday between ESPN2 and ESPNU at 11, 2, 5, & Eight) and put us on midday without throwing off rest of programming. 

The nighttime games this weekend, I would assume, are being saved for west coast Supers in Arizona.  Or games with two marquee names like Arkansas/Nebraska v. N.C. State, possibly Texas Tech v. Stanford, Tenn v. LSU/Oregon, and possibly Miss. State v. Notre Dame.  Saturday is 11, 1, 2, 6, 8, and 9.  The 9 is for Arizona, plain and simple.  There's no other PDT or MDT option to put there.  Unless there's some weird rule whereby if Oregon State advances with Old Dominion or Virginia, they get to host.  8:00p both weekend nights will go to one of those above series I mentioned.  We could possibly get one 5 or 6pm slot over the weekend, but I'm guessing 11 & 2 in our future.

The Fairfield catcher? Dude could barely get the ball back to the pitcher.

True. But that dude easily had the hardest job all weekend. Wild pitches, balls constantly in the dirt, scrambling almost every pitch. Pretty damn impressive how few balls actually got past him. Not hard to imagine why he was completely gassed and couldn’t put a lot into his throws.

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

once I saw the game was at 8p I had to waive off from attending.   knew that I wouldnt get home till midnight or later and I had an early shift today.

You tell us to delay the game 1 hour so we can be on more "national" TV  and instead at the last minute,  OK I get it.

Then, without any notes or warning (My Spectrum guide showed it was supposed to be on ESPNU) it gets switched back to LHN....   so we waited a whole fucking hour to start later to play on the same damn channel we could have been on at 7 on anyway.

CDC isn't some television overlord. He's at the mercy of the networks just like everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Machinator said:

CDC isn't some television overlord. He's at the mercy of the networks just like everyone else.

All the weather delays and long games bleeding into TV times is not his fault.

JFC, what do you want him to do, run ESPN too?  ESPN wanted us Sunday morning, but weather fucked us over. 

Cam got the MBP, most bruised player award
  • Haha 1

I was gonna say Friday at 2 or 5 is likely. 

Is it randomized? Or do they take into consideration when teams last played? Like, if SBama forces two games today, having our game Friday will be pretty brutal. One extra day of rest isn’t going to make everything better for them, but it’s something

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Is it randomized? Or do they take into consideration when teams last played? Like, if SBama forces two games today, having our game Friday will be pretty brutal. One extra day of rest isn’t going to make everything better for them, but it’s something

Pretty sure ESPN only cares about maximizing eyeballs.  

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

They'll simply stagger 4 to start Friday and 4 to start Saturday based on how they can structure the TV slots.  Obviously an extenuating travel scenario would be taken into account, but having to play a double header Monday and resume play on Friday afternoon isn't gonna move the needle much.  ESPN is looking at probably two very "Non-household" name Supers coming up this weekend...so they'll likely stick one on Friday daytime and one on Saturday daytime (we're not one of the BTW, but we're in the next tier of TV question marks).  The later spot (8/9p start CT) will likely be held back for Arizona as the lone PDT/MDT site left (Oregon State may have a goofy road to hosting a Super, but ain't nobody holding their breath on that but the Beavers). 

I still think we start Friday afternoon, but obviously way too many question marks remain.  My advice to many of you is to take off work Friday afternoon.  We're not gonna end up with the 8:00p primetime spot that night, so worse case...we don't start until Saturday.  Then whoops, sorry you got to take off a nice spring Friday afternoon to drink and watch great college baseball.  Between the way they're slotting some of the "lesser-name" series this season, and I doubt we'd even get to a game 3 with USA/USF, I wouldn't count on any UT action on Monday.  If that 10% chance comes to fruition, then my best wishes on a speedy recovery from your upcoming bout of 24-hour food poisoning Sunday night that caused you to have to skip work Monday.  

Yeah I'd say the primetime candidates are:

Stanford-Tech (if Stanford advances)
Arizona-TBD (due to time zone)
Oregon-Tennessee (due to Oregon)

I think we are a mid-afternoon candidate.  I could see ODU/Virginia-DBU being a morning timeslot but ODU/Virginia-Oregon State getting a late-afternoon timeslot due to the Beavers. 

Vandy-ECU could be a morning or early afternoon.  

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know about "easy out" and anything can happen in college baseball. 

But South Alabama was #58 in RPI coming into this weekend and 9-8 against Q1 and Q2 teams. They've been a meh team almost all year and wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason without the auto bid. 

My friend that got swept by them (and has a top 20 schedule strength so he’s seen Florida, Vandy, GA Tech, Tenn, Kentucky, USCe, GA and WVU said they are pretty legit- not on that level- and very old/experienced.  They are basically the definition of a very solid mid major. Think like the Missouri valley team in the NCAA tournament that’s a 7 seed in hoops). That’s nothing to sneeze at but it’s a gift at the super regional level. 
USF is likely worse. 

47 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

So I see we are still holding CDC responsible for shit he has absolutely no control over.  🙄

• Hook 'Em 3