2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Agreed with that. But I assume the earliest Bednar could go would be Wednesday, right? MSU is going to have to find someone that can compete. I'm just not convinced they have it. 

Vandy is also better rested so there's that. Bit of a tainted title in my eye.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Vandy is also better rested so there's that. Bit of a tainted title in my eye.

And not just a little bit better A LOT better.  Played their game Friday afternoon, MSU plays us until 1:30 AM, Vandy doesn't play next day like they should have and MSU turns around and goes again with us at 6pm.  There were claims Vandy wasn't throwing Leiter on Saturday, not sure I buy those but MSU sure as fuck had to throw their guy and if he comes back again it will be on shortened rest.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

There were claims Vandy wasn't throwing Leiter on Saturday, not sure I buy those

Yeah. Not sure I buy it either. I don't think they would have started him. But if it had've been close coming down the stretch I bet he gets a couple innings.

Whatever. Texas didn't win so fuck it. We aren't going away and never have gone away. 

24 minutes ago, TxTower said:

No shit. This is why a game 1 win is so important in the CWS. You lose and you have to fight your way back thru the losers bracket only to face the same ace that beat you in game one.

It’s the unwritten rule in the CWS - win game one at all costs. Texas is well aware of this after so many appearances in Omaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest question: isn’t game two as important as game one? A game two loss puts you in the losers bracket just the same.

47 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

This is beautiful. Fuck off MSU. Stick your Horns down up your asses.

Yes, sir. Horns down doesn't bother me much despite it being a clear sign of disrespect.

Our two teams had a solid 3 games with MSU pulling out two close games to advance. Great battle between two good teams.

Our boys earned respect with a good showing at Omah and their fans didn't have the class to give it.

They can get swept and continue their ineptitude.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Terry Silver said:

Honest question: isn’t game two as important as game one? A game two loss puts you in the losers bracket just the same.

You play one less game with your back against the wall.  Plus you can't play in that "winners" game without game one in hand.  

Texas had the pitching depth, defense and some clutch hitting to be one of the outliers that made it out of the losers bracket to the finals. So close but no cigar.

It’s a testament to this team how close they came despite the rain delays other shit that got thrown at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Anchor Down. 

Wow, they are trying really, really hard to come up with something.

That's been Vanderbilt's "thing" forever.

It's weird though, that Cornelius Vanderbilt continued to be referred to as "Commodore" and that that became the mascot of the university.  I think he was really far more well-known and wealthy as a railroad tycoon.  And most of his shipping money came from riverboats.  Not terribly nautical.

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's been Vanderbilt's "thing" forever.

It's weird though, that Cornelius Vanderbilt continued to be referred to as "Commodore" and that that became the mascot of the university.  I think he was really far more well-known and wealthy as a railroad tycoon.  And most of his shipping money came from riverboats.  Not terribly nautical.

Wut?

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

We did face tonight's MSU starter, by the way, in Arlington.

MacLeod, Christian - Pitching Statistics
Date Opponent W/L IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR WP BK HBP IBB NP SCORE W L SV G-ERA S-ERA
2/20/2021 vs Texas W 4.0 6 1 1 0 7 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 73 8-3 0 0 0 2.25 2.25

Yep... He's completely fallen apart but so has fristoe. Couldn't throw hootie. couldn't throw bednar. Had to take a chance. It went as bad as possible. 

Hootie goes tonight and hopefully can beat their #3 and Sims can finish the game off if needed. Win tonight, have Bednar on 3 days rest and see what we can do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

Yep... He's completely fallen apart but so has fristoe. Couldn't throw hootie. couldn't throw bednar. Had to take a chance. It went as bad as possible. 

Hootie goes tonight and hopefully can beat their #3 and Sims can finish the game off if needed. Win tonight, have Bednar on 3 days rest and see what we can do. 

What? You only have two starting pitchers? Well lucky us I guess.

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

That's tough with Harding also being on 3 days rest tonight.  Wonder how long he can go?

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

That's tough with Harding also being on 3 days rest tonight.  Wonder how long he can go?

Goal would be to get 4 at best. He's not a long starter thru out the year and used more in long relief typically but is very consistent.

5 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Goal would be to get 4 at best. He's not a long starter thru out the year and used more in long relief typically but is very consistent.

You...have to send out all your dudes on short rest because you don't have any fucking pitchers?

I am feeling a lot of rage right now. There is just no justice. This is Virginia's bullpens fault.

We had plenty of guys ready to face Vandy. Goddamnit.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

What? You only have two starting pitchers? Well lucky us I guess.

Fristoe was the 3rd guy all year but hit the freshman wall around the start of May.  

Hootie was our midweek starter till conference play and feel in to bridge to sims or long relief. once Fristoe hit the wall he's been the guy. 

Now CMac has gone to absolute crap.. so yea technically you could say we only have 2 starters we trust. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

You...have to send out all your dudes on short rest because you don't have any fucking pitchers?

I am feeling a lot of rage right now. There is just no justice. This is Virginia's bullpens fault.

Rage should be at NC State and the NCAA... once Kendall posted the timeline, NC State should of been kicked out of the tourney after Monday. 

Instead vandy gets an extra day of rest and not burn Leiter... 

and we have ourselves to blame for not beating yall on thursday.. and therefor having to burn Bednar till Wed. 

It is what it is.. as long as Houston gives us 3/4 good. we can bring in Cade Smith again for another 2. Brandon Smith for another one and then either someone else or Sims depending on what happens with the game. Our bullpen is good. Remember what they did last time CMAC blew up against UVA, they strung together 7 2/3, 7 hit. 1 run. Last night, taking out the first inning and we held vandy to 7 innings, 2 hits, 1 run. 

Houston blows up, we just move forward Cade smith and try to stretch him to 3. 

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Its not a whole lot different than starting Madden on 4 days rest on Friday and Stevens on 3 days rest on Saturday.  You do what you have to do at this stage.

Who do you think would've started these three games for Texas?  

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Its not a whole lot different than starting Madden on 4 days rest on Friday and Stevens on 3 days rest on Saturday.  You do what you have to do at this stage.

Who do you think would've started last night's game for Texas?  

Hansen 

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Who do you think would've started these three games for Texas?  

Kubichek-Hansen-Madden

8 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Rage should be at NC State and the NCAA... once Kendall posted the timeline, NC State should of been kicked out of the tourney after Monday. 

Instead vandy gets an extra day of rest and not burn Leiter... 

Oh Vandy even being there is outrageous, no question.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

No it wouldn't.

Fletch was saying Hansen for game 1.   He started Thursday. That's 3 days rest.  

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Kubichek-Hansen-Madden

So pretty much what MSU is doing with one extra day rest.   Game 1 starter - full rest.  Game 2 and Game 3 starters on short rest.   Not exactly a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh Vandy even being there is outrageous, no question.

You want even more rage at nc state? evidently if nc state had beat vandy on friday and eliminated them,  we would of been playing each other for the NC. 

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Fletch was saying Hansen for game 1.   He started Thursday. That's 3 days rest.  

So pretty much what MSU is doing with one extra day rest.   Game 1 starter - full rest.  Game 2 and Game 3 starters on short rest.   Not exactly a huge difference.

I don't think Fletch meant Hansen on Monday. You just assumed that. And don't make me answer for what Fletch said, talk to Fletch about that.

And a 4 day rest instead of a 3 day rest for every single pitcher is a pretty fucking huge difference. Do you think a 2 day rest and a 3 day rest is exactly the same because they are both not a week?

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I don't think Fletch meant Hansen on Monday. You just assumed that. And don't make me answer for what Fletch said, talk to Fletch about that.

And a 4 day rest instead of a 3 day rest for every single pitcher is a pretty fucking huge difference. Do you think a 2 day rest and a 3 day rest is exactly the same because they are both not a week?

I know what Fletch said because he responded to a different question than you did. I edited my post. He responded before. You responded after. You can see in the quotes. 

And I absolutely agree 4 days is better than 3. But both are short rest (by 2-3 days for these guys) so to act like MSU is desperate for “having to send all your dudes out on short rest” when Texas 1) just did the same thing and 2) would do it again, is silly. 

6 minutes ago, msudawg said:

You want even more rage at nc state? evidently if nc state had beat vandy on friday and eliminated them,  we would of been playing each other for the NC. 

Look beat Vandy. Do that and I will feel better.

I have at least been telling myself at least we lost to a really great team. If you turds were a bunch of pretenders who squeezed through I will be pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I know what Fletch said because he responded to a different question than you did. I edited my post. He responded before. You responded after. You can see in the quotes. 

And I absolutely agree 4 days is better than 3. But both are short rest (by 2-3 days for these guys) so to act like MSU is desperate for “having to send all your dudes out on short rest” when Texas 1) just did the same thing and 2) would do it again, is silly. 

I mean 4 days rest is normal for the CWS and the Regionals and has been for 60 years. Calling that short rest is silly. But hey if somebody passed a law that said we couldn't do that, then sure we had Lucas and other guys who could have gone who I think could have easily beat whomever Vandy had who was forced to rest one week.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean 4 days rest is normal for the CWS and the Regionals and has been for 60 years. Calling that short rest is silly. But hey if somebody passed a law that said we couldn't do that, then sure we had Lucas and other guys who could have gone who I think could have easily beat whomever Vandy had who was forced to rest one week.

I don't disagree.  Its all hands on deck at this point.  The only person who seems to have rage about "dudes starting on short rest" is you.  You do what you have to do.  Just like Texas starting Stevens on Saturday on 3 days rest.  Must win game, so you do what you have to do.  They have as much time to rest as they want in a few days.

24 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

No it wouldn't. Nobody would have gone off 3 days rest. Not Hansen, Not Stevens, Not Madden.

Idk, I could see Hansen going 3-5 innings depending on his pitch count then let Witt in and have Nixon on standby then Gordon for emergencies 

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I don't disagree.  Its all hands on deck at this point.  The only person who seems to have rage about "dudes starting on short rest" is you.  You do what you have to do.  Just like Texas starting Stevens on Saturday on 3 days rest.  Must win game, so you do what you have to do.  They have as much time to rest as they want in a few days.

This. You don't have a guy on short rest throw 100 pitches but try and get an inning or two. All hands on deck.

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok maybe Kubicheck starts with the shortest leash ever. I mean, it would be typical Texas baseball for a dude who hasn’t pitched in like 5 weeks to just start game 1 of the title series and give us 6 innings while allowing 1-2 runs. But I feel like it probably would’ve been Hansen for 4-6 innings and yeah 

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ok maybe Kubicheck starts with the shortest leash ever. I mean, it would be typical Texas baseball for a dude who hasn’t pitched in like 5 weeks to just start game 1 of the title series and give us 6 innings while allowing 1-2 runs. But I feel like it probably would’ve been Hansen for 4-6 innings and yeah 

Waste Hansen against Leiter and then bring out short rest guys the rest of the way vs send Hansen out there on full rest with a game he should win and then send Madden out there on full rest?

And Kubicheck could have handled Vandy's line up. And Hansen went like two weeks between starts, it didn't hurt him much.

Anyway I am just pissed MSU had only two starting pitchers that were good and somehow got to the CWS finals anyway, at our expense no less. We had more than just two guys. MSU better not suck again damnit.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Waste Hansen against Leiter and then bring out short rest guys the rest of the way vs send Hansen out there on full rest with a game he should win and then send Madden out there on full rest?

And Kubicheck could have handled Vandy's line up. And Hansen went like two weeks between starts, it didn't hurt him much.

Anyway I am just pissed MSU had only two starting pitchers that were good and somehow got to the CWS finals anyway, at our expense no less. We had more than just two guys. MSU better not suck again damnit.

Yeah I could see it going either way. And yeah dude I’m getting pretty pissed at the would’ve/could’ve shit. All good. We’ll be playing for all the marbles next year. A lot of young guys got some great experience this year. They’ve seen it what it takes

• Hook 'Em 2