The 01-06-21 Select Committee Thread

Satchel

26 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Of course it is, just like Pelosi getting off her old wrinkled ass and holding anyone accountable is.

The overreaction to Pelosi gets a little tedious. As always, the Republicans can get away with anything but if the Democrats aren’t just exactly perfect in living up to your expectations for everything they do then they suck too. Pelosi deserves whatever criticism she deserves but the Republicans hate her because she’s mostly good at her job. Criticizing her for not turning the few Republicans who aren’t part of the Trump cult into Democrats is foolish and unrealistic. You might as well criticize mathematicians for not letting us divide by zero. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

The old (literal) guard of politicians stunts this nation's growth. I am not sure a majority of them understand how much has changed in this nation since the 30's, 40's and 50's when they grew up. It keeps us locked in a sclerotic system where little is done by Congress.  There are exceptions, of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

37 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The old (literal) guard of politicians stunts this nation's growth. I am not sure a majority of them understand how much has changed in this nation since the 30's, 40's and 50's when they grew up. It keeps us locked in a sclerotic system where little is done by Congress.  There are exceptions, of course. 

I agree. Watching Senator Feinstein fawn over Lindsay Graham while he works to destroy her party made me sick. Some of these old timers are shells of their former selves and are attached to a bygone era that will never return

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There needs to be age limits for elected officials. If you want to serve your country, go build houses with Jimmy Carter. 

I’ll take them limits. 
Actually got a mailer this week about a petition to have a term limit amendment. Had a picture of pelosi and Schumer signing a document, and I wondered if they use that one for some people and McConnell or someone else for other addresses based on precinct voting results. But they wanted to limit to 3 terms for a two and 2 for a senator, and that’s not long enough to accomplish stuff in our government. 
I’d go for 10 years for a rep and 18 for a senator. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think it needs to be at least 70 and below. I’d argue even younger but I’m trying to be nice. Or same age as retirement age. 

I understand the temptation but voters need to stop electing people too old to perform their jobs. 

New discrimination laws are not a good answer nor do I think they would last long. 

• Like 1

The China Communist Party is kicking our ass. And using capitalism as a moneymaker to fund their command economy.

• That's a problem for every American.

Sitting President encouraging an armed insurrection to disrupt/prevent completion of the election. 

• That's a problem for every American

Continued deflationary headwinds, with the more popular worried about bogeyman high inflation.

• Potential enormous problem:
    • The emergency boosters are lit and performing as designed to pull demand.
    • We are still in the inflate or die moment of the recovery.
    • The world is not pretty and is still feeling the waves from the pandemic. 
    • Covid remains a fierce deflationary headwind for much of the world as we reopen.
    • TLDR: Follow the plan.

This needs to be a clean investigation. No speeches. Questions and Answers. They need a professional or two. 

Edited by washparkhorn
my 2021 July 4 State of the Union - problems identified.
  • Like 2

The age argument is real.  But they stick around so long for the power they get from climbing the committees ladders.  And from that power they gain wealth, themselves and through family.

While age certainly takes a toll, its greed that fucks us.  Greed for money and power, lust for fame and fawning.

This bullshit about McCarthy and his coal millions, McConnell and his mega rich wife, Loeffler and Weinstein on insider trading has got to stop.

I would bet the money spend on NFL, NBA and MLB players, staff and coaches dwarfs what we pay our representatives in DC.    

Pay them right, pay their staff right, put in ethics laws with teeth and increase the watchdog efforts.  Reduce the flow of money from lobbyists and kick in that bill that keeps elected officials from jumping to lobbying right out of the Capitol.  Pay these people to do their job of representing us, and build a system to keep score on how they are doing.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Fuck that. Put in the ethics laws with serious teeth, increase the oversight 1,000% AND drop their salaries to that of the median worker and get rid of their pensions and primo healthcare. 

The argument is that we wouldn’t have good candidates run for office. My counter argument is we already have shitty representation so we lose nothing in that regard. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fuck that. Put in the ethics laws with serious teeth, increase the oversight 1,000% AND drop their salaries to that of the median worker and get rid of their pensions and primo healthcare. 

The argument is that we wouldn’t have good candidates run for office. My counter argument is we already have shitty representation so we lose nothing in that regard. 

You’re advocating to make things worse. With rising wealth disparity it only motivates people to think, ‘Why should that corporate exec make billions when I make so little?’ That would apply to anyone who serves in a public role from politicians to members of the military to the people who protect our borders. There’s no way that wouldn’t result in more corruption.

Tax the ultra-rich more, (or, make them actually pay taxes), pay everyone else more, and get money out of politics. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re advocating to make things worse. With rising wealth disparity it only motivates people to think, ‘Why should that corporate exec make billions when I make so little?’ That would apply to anyone who serves in a public role from politicians to members of the military to the people who protect our borders. There’s no way that wouldn’t result in more corruption.

Tax the ultra-rich more, (or, make them actually pay taxes), pay everyone else more, and get money out of politics. 

If Americans really wanted money out of politics, they would be pressuring Congress to pass the For the People Act. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

If Americans really wanted money out of politics, they would be pressuring Congress to pass the For the People Act. 

We should start by overturning Citizens United so our voices count more than money. One person, one vote, and corporations AREN’T people, my friend. (Fuck Mitt Romney. Like Liz Cheney, just because he opposes Trump doesn’t mean he doesn’t still suck.)

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/3/2021 at 2:14 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

You might as well criticize mathematicians for not letting us divide by zero. 

Damned straight. Just lazy, if you ask me. I've seen the proof that if you can divide by zero, you can prove 1=2, and to my mind that is a long overdue opening up of mathematical possibilities. Just because they wouldn't know how to grade midterms  under such a scenario is no excuse for lazy math-ing.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, washparkhorn said:

This take is just completely and fundamentally wrong. Prior to Newt Fucking Gingrich, the old white dudes in Congress pretty reliably got plenty of shit done, and across the aisle no less. I mean for the love of god, in 1984 Ronald Regan carried 49 states, 59% of the popular votes cast, and 525 electoral college votes (and the state he lost was Mondales home state of Minnesota, and he only lost that state by .18%!!!!). Bi-partisan politics worked passably well in this country from the end of WW2 right up until Newt. Goddammit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

This take is just completely and fundamentally wrong. Prior to Newt Fucking Gingrich, the old white dudes in Congress pretty reliably got plenty of shit done, and across the aisle no less. . . .Bi-partisan politics worked passably well in this country from the end of WW2 right up until Newt. Goddammit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/newt-gingrich-says-youre-welcome/570832/

I was speaking of today and tomorrow. Here is the fundamental imbalance in color.

FT_21.02.05_CongressGenerations_3b.png?w=640

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/02/12/boomers-silents-still-have-most-seats-in-congress-though-number-of-millennials-gen-xers-is-up-slightly/ft_21-02-05_congressgenerations_3b/

The fucking Silents are setting a bad precedent for the Boomers who will never give up their seats. That's their identity.

Boomers not getting out of the way will remain a dangerous intersection in our society. Some need to understand the role of the  emeritus politician - sages who are not forgotten, but not in the way of getting this economic system up to speed for what we face ahead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

If this isn’t the opening line from the committee chair on the first day of testimony then what are they even doing?

599b97e1da855de5b70c07fc62eb806c.jpg

I’ve never read a sentence that summarizes Trump’s culpability so succinctly and logically.

That's a damn good point.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm guessing that Fox News will need to be talking about Hunter's laptop when the hearings are running.

Did Fox News downplay the armed attack on Congress while it was happening? I don't remember.

I don't know if there is much news left at Fox News. It's an entertainment-driven channel. Entertainment pays the bills. 

They have a big silo of Americans locked up in their credibility. I hope they have the honor to treat the proceedings with respect for the nation that allows them to speak to Americans. Media malpractice is a drain on society.

News has one job. To inform. The media walls are rising at an inopportune time, but I guess that's the business of journalism these days. To lock in audiences.

I need to do a better job supporting informative journalists - dependent or independent. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:26 PM, Nolacycling said:

Are Congressional subpoenas issued by a select committee worth the paper they're written on?

I seriously do not know after all the refusals to testify we've seen.

When they are directed to current executive branch officials, basically no.  There is no judicial mechanism for resolving a dispute over such a subpoena because the court will treat it as a political question.

As mentioned above, any subpoenas here will be directed to "civilians," and former officials, presumably.  In that case, the full gamut of enforcement mechanisms is available: arrest by Sergeant at Arms, district court actions for contempt of Congress, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, capnamerca said:

This take is just completely and fundamentally wrong. Prior to Newt Fucking Gingrich, the old white dudes in Congress pretty reliably got plenty of shit done, and across the aisle no less. I mean for the love of god, in 1984 Ronald Regan carried 49 states, 59% of the popular votes cast, and 525 electoral college votes (and the state he lost was Mondales home state of Minnesota, and he only lost that state by .18%!!!!). Bi-partisan politics worked passably well in this country from the end of WW2 right up until Newt. Goddammit.

Newt’s a fucking wildebeest who fancies himself a lion. He’s not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'd say boycott Kmart and Sears, but chances are you already are:

Sears and Kmart? Seems like Target might be more appropriate....

(I'm so going to hell....)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

On 7/3/2021 at 12:25 PM, Satchel said:

I agree. Watching Senator Feinstein fawn over Lindsay Graham while he works to destroy her party made me sick. Some of these old timers are shells of their former selves and are attached to a bygone era that will never return

Feinstein is senile as fuck.  Calling her a shell of herself is generous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He deliberately picked them, knowing Pelosi would shoot them down.

Pelosi’s starting point should be to demand McCarthy pick from the 35 Republicans who voted for the original 1/6 Commission.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/15/politics/donald-trump-kevin-mccarthy-meeting/index.html

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy is expected to meet with former President Donald Trump on Thursday, as the California Republican is considering which members of his conference to appoint to a special committee tasked with investigating the deadly January 6 riot at the US Capitol. 

"Kevin McCarthy will be meeting with me this afternoon at Trump National in Bedminster, N.J. Much to discuss!" Trump announced in a statement Thursday.

According to a GOP source familiar with the meeting, McCarthy will sit down with Trump at his New Jersey golf club to discuss upcoming special elections, vulnerable Democrats in 2022 and the GOP's record-breaking fundraising numbers. But the announcement of the meeting comes the day after the select committee investigating the Capitol riot said that it will hold its first public hearing on July 27, essentially setting a deadline for McCarthy to make his picks as to who will represent the GOP on the commission. Sources tell CNN that McCarthy intends to announce his selections before the first hearing.

The GOP is definitely the party of cucks.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy is expected to meet with former President Donald Trump on Thursday, as the California Republican is considering which members of his conference to appoint to a special committee tasked with investigating the deadly January 6 riot at the US Capitol. 

Holy shit lol.