2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The biggest difference is last year we had two guys who could go multiple innings out of the bullpen (Witt and Quintanilla) AND a shutdown closer. We didn’t lose that last game due to being thin. We had a fully rested Quintanilla out there. Having 6 reliable arms on a pitching staff in the postseason is damn good in college baseball.

Hansen hasn’t been a lesser version of himself this year. He’s been just as good as last year and Gordon has been just as good as Stevens was last year. Biggest difference is we don’t have guys who can reliably go multiple innings out of the bullpen. You have to flip a coin anytime Harrison, Nixon, Johnson or Southard come into a game. You didn’t have to worry about consistent strikes with Quintanilla or Witt last year (and Nixon for that matter).

Having Stevens potentially settle down in the closers role is great but we are still missing the setup men we had last year who got us to the 8th and 9th innings when the starter only went 6 or 7. Along with also missing a 3rd starter.

Hansen and Gordon will have to go 7 innings and Stevens 2. Very little room for error.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Very little room for error.

Our hitting makes up for some of it. Probably not giving us more room for error than last season but you never know. We couldn't hit shit in the B12 tourney last year and went 1-2 I think? 

The biggest difference is last year we had two guys who could go multiple innings out of the bullpen (Witt and Quintanilla) AND a shutdown closer. We didn’t lose that last game due to being thin. We had a fully rested Quintanilla out there. Having 6 reliable arms on a pitching staff in the postseason is damn good in college baseball.
Hansen hasn’t been a lesser version of himself this year. He’s been just as good as last year and Gordon has been just as good as Stevens was last year. Biggest difference is we don’t have guys who can reliably go multiple innings out of the bullpen. You have to flip a coin anytime Harrison, Nixon, Johnson or Southard come into a game. You didn’t have to worry about consistent strikes with Quintanilla or Witt last year (and Nixon for that matter).
Having Stevens potentially settle down in the closers role is great but we are still missing the setup men we had last year who got us to the 8th and 9th innings when the starter only went 6 or 7. Along with also missing a 3rd starter.

3 bullpen guys that you will use is thin. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great. Doesn’t mean you can’t have success, but another 1-2 guys that can give you an inning is significant.

Cole Quintanilla only went longer than 2 innings twice. He only went beyond 3 once. Guess which one? Guess the result? The other time he went 3? We lost. The only two games he went more than 40 pitches. It’s not that he wasn’t fully rested it was that he was the only one rested.

Aaron Nixon in 2021 after March 28th only went 2 innings once. He pitched the next day and we lost. Incidentally he pitched two days after 3/28. A loss. He rarely pitched more than 1 inning. His two longest outings other those mentioned? Virginia and MSU, both 1.2 innings. His 34 pitches vs MSU was his most since 3/28. That might be an indication that he needs shorter outings.

Witt was extended in both his CWS appearances. The first one being is longest outing by 25 pitches.

All 3 guys were extended in the CWS. It absolutely impacted our pitching choices because we didn’t have or wouldn’t use a guy to steal an inning in there. All 3 guys went longer than at any point in the season or in the case of Nixon than he had in months. And they were high intensity situations too.

Witt gave up 10 ERs in his last 6 games over 18+ innings. Take out that UTenn game, and he was a coin flip. And on Nixon, that has been my contention for a long time set him up and let him finish the 9th. There’s no Indication he’s a hold, setup then close guy.

Hansen had fewer starts last year, but only gave up 3 runs one time. This year 4 times. 8 quality starts last year. 7 this year. His ERA is a run higher.

You are right. The guys last year were more trusted. That largely comes down to Quintanilla, but he was a 1-2 inning guy. Witt pitched way more innings and has tremendous upside, but he also had some ups and downs.

Had Stevens performed like last year, it would have helped tremendously. I don’t think he has closer stuff. His value to this team is versatility. Ability to start, if needed. Long relief, if needed. Spot closing maybe. Even just some short relief.

Southards performance is skewed by that two out, wind aided after a damn near strike grand slam versus A&M. Olivarez has an ERA under 1. Harrison has 6 appearances of 2 plus innings allowing 1 run or less. Only two appearances giving up more than 1 run. LeBarron 15 outings, 1 with more than 1 earned run. Nixon ERA is mid 3s with his worst game being 3 runs scored with him watching someone else throw the meat pitch. Control has been a problem no doubt. The ability to perform is there as well though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

3 bullpen guys that you will use is thin. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great. Doesn’t mean you can’t have success, but another 1-2 guys that can give you an inning is significant.

Cole Quintanilla only went longer than 2 innings twice. He only went beyond 3 once. Guess which one? Guess the result? The other time he went 3? We lost. The only two games he went more than 40 pitches. It’s not that he wasn’t fully rested it was that he was the only one rested.

Aaron Nixon in 2021 after March 28th only went 2 innings once. He pitched the next day and we lost. Incidentally he pitched two days after 3/28. A loss. He rarely pitched more than 1 inning. His two longest outings other those mentioned? Virginia and MSU, both 1.2 innings. His 34 pitches vs MSU was his most since 3/28. That might be an indication that he needs shorter outings.

Witt was extended in both his CWS appearances. The first one being is longest outing by 25 pitches.

All 3 guys were extended in the CWS. It absolutely impacted our pitching choices because we didn’t have or wouldn’t use a guy to steal an inning in there. All 3 guys went longer than at any point in the season or in the case of Nixon than he had in months. And they were high intensity situations too.

Witt gave up 10 ERs in his last 6 games over 18+ innings. Take out that UTenn game, and he was a coin flip. And on Nixon, that has been my contention for a long time set him up and let him finish the 9th. There’s no Indication he’s a hold, setup then close guy.

Hansen had fewer starts last year, but only gave up 3 runs one time. This year 4 times. 8 quality starts last year. 7 this year. His ERA is a run higher.

You are right. The guys last year were more trusted. That largely comes down to Quintanilla, but he was a 1-2 inning guy. Witt pitched way more innings and has tremendous upside, but he also had some ups and downs.

Had Stevens performed like last year, it would have helped tremendously. I don’t think he has closer stuff. His value to this team is versatility. Ability to start, if needed. Long relief, if needed. Spot closing maybe. Even just some short relief.

Southards performance is skewed by that two out, wind aided after a damn near strike grand slam versus A&M. Olivarez has an ERA under 1. Harrison has 6 appearances of 2 plus innings allowing 1 run or less. Only two appearances giving up more than 1 run. LeBarron 15 outings, 1 with more than 1 earned run. Nixon ERA is mid 3s with his worst game being 3 runs scored with him watching someone else throw the meat pitch. Control has been a problem no doubt. The ability to perform is there as well though.

All far points. But it really comes down to the fact that last years team has 3 quality starters and 3 quality bullpen arms. This team has 2 quality starters and 3 or 4 coin flip bullpen arms. You can get by with 2 quality starters (see Mississippi State last year) but you better have someone who can put out fires at any point in a game (Landon Sims type guy that Mississippi State had). We don’t have that right now. Maybe Stevens turns into that the next few weeks. Would be a huge development. 

I would give anything for this years team to have a Quintanilla right now.

Edited by Hookem2147

16 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

A&M as a top 8 seed is laughable. Their RPI is 20 and the SEC already has Tennessee and Vandy. They do not deserve a super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy isn’t going to be a top 8. Losing SEC record. 

Southard has 17 walks in 22.2 innings. Batters are hitting freaking .133 against him.

Nixon has 24 walks in 30.1 innings (gave up 10 walks in 34 innings last year). Guys are hitting .185 against him.

Stuff isn’t the problem with either guy. When they are in the zone they are pretty much unhittable. The problem is neither guys can stay in the zone for back to back batters and you can’t be rolling the dice in the postseason with those type of guys. 

Nixon, Quintanilla and Witt had a combined 131 innings last year and only walked 46 batters between them. Nixon and Southard alone this year have combined for 41 walks in about 80 less innings.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

A&M as a top 8 seed is laughable. Their RPI is 20 and the SEC already has Tennessee and Vandy. They do not deserve a super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggy will probably get top 8. Aggy has a better shot at 8 then Vandy. 

15 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Vandy isn’t going to be a top 8. Losing SEC record. 

I understand they won their (weaker) division in the best conference and aggy won the h2h series away, that makes sense. But Vandy’s RPI is 6 and Aggy is 20 for a reason. The difference in their conference performance was 5 games - their schedule was almost identical except Vandy played Tenn and Florida while A&M played Alabama and Miss St. And A&M had a much weaker non-con. If A&M won the tourney or was the undisputed best of the SEC, sure. But its a gilden win to say you “won your division in the best conference” when you dodged the two other best teams in the conference.

My point is that you can’t have a soft NC and then lean on the SEC if you aren’t the absolute best - RPI cuts through that and Vandy and Florida both are better. If your division was soft, tough, play a real team non con or win your tourney.

All far points. But it really comes down to the fact that last years team has 3 quality starters and 3 quality bullpen arms. This team has 2 quality starters and 3 or 4 coin flip bullpen arms. You can get by with 2 quality starters (see Mississippi State last year) but you better have someone who can put out fires at any point in a game (Landon Sims type guy that Mississippi State had). We don’t have that right now. Maybe Stevens turns into that the next few weeks. Would be a huge development. 

I would give anything for this years team to have a Quintanilla right now.

Last years 3 bullpen guys were elite no doubt. Q was a big loss. It may have been you that pointed out awhile back that Q was not always that guy.

The biggest difference may be Stevens because he could get us to the later innings as opposed to this years Stevens.

I never intended to imply this years pen was as reliable or good as last years. Probably not as talented, but they aren’t without talent. It’s something else.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Southard has 17 walks in 22.2 innings. Batters are hitting freaking .133 against him.

Nixon has 24 walks in 30.1 innings (gave up 10 walks in 34 innings last year). Guys are hitting .185 against him.

Stuff isn’t the problem with either guy. When they are in the zone they are pretty much unhittable. The problem is neither guys can stay in the zone for back to back batters and you can’t be rolling the dice in the postseason with those type of guys. 

Nixon, Quintanilla and Witt had a combined 131 innings last year and only walked 46 batters between them. Nixon and Southard alone this year have combined for 41 walks in about 80 less innings.

Well this aged even worse 5 hours later.

Nixon can’t be used right now. I don’t care how dire the situation. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The issue with both Southard and Nixon right now is when they miss they aren't even close. Nobody is even going to chase the shit they throw up there when they are missing.

This.  

Wild in the zone is one thing, but these guys…

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Last years 3 bullpen guys were elite no doubt. Q was a big loss. It may have been you that pointed out awhile back that Q was not always that guy.

The biggest difference may be Stevens because he could get us to the later innings as opposed to this years Stevens.

I never intended to imply this years pen was as reliable or good as last years. Probably not as talented, but they aren’t without talent. It’s something else.

I would argue that this years bullpen is as physically talented as last years.  It is something else.

Harrison is going to be an animal.

Stehle(sp) is just inexperienced and hasn't developed the mental reserve needed to compete at this level. There is no explanation for a dude throwing almost all strikes for 2 innings to throwing 0 strikes the next. Same for Stewart and Blair.  They just need innings.  I know I shit on Blair earlier in the season but he looked good yesterday when there was no pressure.  So did Stewart.  

I liked Cobb a lot better before we decided to change his slot.  Those curveballs look impressive and frisbee like on TV but they are flat as shit and easy to pick up for the hitter.

Nixon's implosion is confounding.  I think he may have real arm issues.  He hasn't had a "live" arm any outing this year that I recall. He located well last year with FB up to 95.  He is still hitting mid 90s but he cant locate it at all. I mean, when he does throw a mid-nineties strike, which is rare, its a cock-shot.  In my opinion, rather than "pitching" he is throwing every pitch as hard as he is capable because his arm is fucked.   Nixon hasn't "pitched" an inning this year.  He is just throwing the baseball toward the plate.  He misses a lot and gets his shit packed a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Too bad the offense has been taking the day off when our pitching does.   It'd be nice to be able to count on them on days like today.

For sure. We should be able to put up 10 against a depleted OU staff.

But we are cold hitting this whole tournament. Getting back home will hopefully help.

I would argue that this years bullpen is as physically talented as last years.  

I won’t necessarily disagree with the above. I do think Witt has the potential to be special. Q was more mature than the guys you reference. Nixon is no less talented now than then. For the other guys, maturity is needed.

With regards to Nixon, he hasn’t been hit hard, but his control has cost him. I understand the hesitation and frustration but bringing him in mid-inning, down several runs is terrible choice. He hadn’t pitched in over a week. His Ks/9 is high. His hits/9 is low. His BB/9 is way high. He’s given up 1 HR in 30 innings. He’s given up 6 ERs when the next guy gave up a Jack. His ERA is just now higher than our team ERA. It is still lower than Stevens. We had lower pressure situations in this tourney to get Nixon in and didn’t. Bringing him in in an unfamiliar situation with no upside is not very useful.

Baseball history is littered with guys serving a particular role and excelling when they didn’t in other roles.

43 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I won’t necessarily disagree with the above. I do think Witt has the potential to be special. Q was more mature than the guys you reference. Nixon is no less talented now than then. For the other guys, maturity is needed.

With regards to Nixon, he hasn’t been hit hard, but his control has cost him. I understand the hesitation and frustration but bringing him in mid-inning, down several runs is terrible choice. He hadn’t pitched in over a week. His Ks/9 is high. His hits/9 is low. His BB/9 is way high. He’s given up 1 HR in 30 innings. He’s given up 6 ERs when the next guy gave up a Jack. His ERA is just now higher than our team ERA. It is still lower than Stevens. We had lower pressure situations in this tourney to get Nixon in and didn’t. Bringing him in in an unfamiliar situation with no upside is not very useful.

Baseball history is littered with guys serving a particular role and excelling when they didn’t in other roles.

Nixon has cost this team more games than any other pitcher. I agree that bringing him into unfamiliar situations isn't ideal. However, he has been bad even when he was called on to close a game. I get that his ERA may be low, but when I enter a game and then give up a base clearing double, those runs aren't charged to me. But it was my poor pitching that led to those runs. He is a complete shell of himself from last year and it is obvious to everyone.  If it were up to me he would not appear in a game where there were more than 3 outs left. 

He is a head case and needs to be shelved or he is hurt and needs to be shelved.

• Hook 'Em 5

Yeah I don't give a shit what Nix' ERA is dude has been a disaster. If you're telling me he's better or more reliable than Stevens I'm going to laugh in your face (not accusing anyone of saying that, btw). There's been plenty of innings where he's put guys on and then gotten out of it - which - credit to him - but ERA doesn't reflect that. 

I honestly don't want to see him for the rest of the season. Especially with how some other guys pitched this week. He single-handedly fucked us today and like Strawberry said it isn't the first game he's blown for us this season. 

I don't know what's wrong with him but he needs an offseason to figure it out before he takes the mound again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And Southard...man. He came in and got us through a couple of innings yesterday but he walked four guys in those two innings. 

That is just not fire we need to be fucking with in post-season. Any of these guys Pierce sends in there needs to be on a very short leash. If they start lobbing garbage up there, they need to be pulled. We can't sit there while Travis walks two guys on eight pitches. We do have guys who can come in and give a good inning, just not consistently and not for long. He coached it right yesterday but left Travis in too long today.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I don't give a shit what Nix' ERA is dude has been a disaster. If you're telling me he's better or more reliable than Stevens I'm going to laugh in your face (not accusing anyone of saying that, btw). There's been plenty of innings where he's put guys on and then gotten out of it - which - credit to him - but ERA doesn't reflect that. 

I honestly don't want to see him for the rest of the season. Especially with how some other guys pitched this week. He single-handedly fucked us today and like Strawberry said it isn't the first game he's blown for us this season. 

I don't know what's wrong with him but he needs an offseason to figure it out before he takes the mound again. 

what, 3 hits, a walk, zero outs on 15 pitches doesn't do it for you?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

ERA is one indicator. And it’s a good one. You know who the shittiest pitcher was in our shittiest game? Do you know who probably had the shittiest performance all year? Stevens in both cases. Stevens didn’t give us a chance versus TCU. He was sorry versus OSU. He was awful versus Tech.

We were behind when Nixon entered right? Stevens allowed 3 runs to cross right? The offense got 1 run. There was nothing singlehanded about that.

Nixon hasn’t been good. Neither has Stevens. We need them both.

I scanned quickly so take it was a grain of salt, but today Stevens allowed more inherited runs to score than Nixon. Nixon has allowed very few inherited runners to score on the season actually. He hasn’t really had that many. And I misspoke earlier, but 5 of his scored on Homers given up by someone else.

Stevens has 3 saves. A 4 run lead going to the 9th (he got an out in the 8th up 3). Two 3 run leads. One of them was a 3rd of an inning. That’s as low pressure as gets. He even gave up a HR in one. In one he walked his first hitter. And our starters had shut the opponents down so they had no momentum. These don’t really show you much.

As best I can tell, Nixon blew 3 saves. One was an attempt at 2 2/3 innings with inherited runners on 1st and 2nd. One was a 1 run lead after we (not him) blew a 4 run lead in the 8th. The other a 2 run lead versus Air Force. These latter two games the opponents combined for 26 runs on 30 hits so everybody was struggling. He lost one (out of his 3 losses) of those and won one. His other two losses were versus Tech (he and Hansen were equally productive) and OSU (not a blown save and they scored quite a few). That big collapse versus OSU? No part in it. Nixon has not blown a game with more than a two run lead all year. The only time he’s given up more than 2 runs is in part cause the guy who came in gave up a homer.

You want your closer back on track then give him chances to succeed. Pierce has royally screwed that up. Give him those low pressure save chances that were given to Stevens. Don’t waste Stephens yesterday with the game over. Give that inning to Nixon. Stevens should have been long relief today and probably the first guy out of the pen. You simply do not put in a guy who has had control issues mid-inning after not having pitched for 8 damn days in a role he’s not accustomed to.

We need Nixon. We need him to close because you need Stevens to get innings. Their experience is needed. Stevens will throw strikes so there absolutely are situations he’s better suited for.

And for heavens sake relievers should get about two batters to show something then pull em. But not for these guys who have struggled with control.

I’m not trying to change anyones mind. Everybody is frustrated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I scanned quickly so take it was a grain of salt, but today Stevens allowed more inherited runs to score than Nixon.

Gee, I wonder who Tristan inherited those runs from? Nixon came on with a man on 2nd with 0 outs, Texas down 3-1 and exited with runners on first and second with 0 outs, Texas down 5-1. Stevens comes on, throws one shitty pitch, then records 9 outs without putting a man on base.

Stevens was poor as a starter and has excelled out of the pen. Nixon has been shit out of the pen all season. If you think they are comparable in terms of what can be expected from them at this point in the season then I don't know what to tell you. Nixon needs to be shelved and Stevens will be someone we rely on in high pressure situations out of the pen in the postseason. 

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You want your closer back on track then give him chances to succeed. Pierce has royally screwed that up. Give him those low pressure save chances that were given to Stevens. Don’t waste Stephens yesterday with the game over. Give that inning to Nixon. Stevens should have been long relief today and probably the first guy out of the pen. You simply do not put in a guy who has had control issues mid-inning after not having pitched for 8 damn days in a role he’s not accustomed to.

With all due respect to Nixon, we’ve given him plenty of chances. We’ve given him low pressure appearances, we’ve given him save chances, we’ve given him clean innings. There’s no more “getting him back on track”. He can not be used right now and he is not the closer on this team. He can’t throw the ball over the plate. Just last week we brought him in against the last place team in the conference in a save situation and he loaded the bases twice in the last two innings.

We’ve done all we can to try to right through ship with him. He’s had the low pressure outings against the midweek cream puffs, he’s pitched in middle relief and in the 9th. It’s not working. We need to stop trying to bend over backwards to make it work.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

With all due respect to Nixon, we’ve given him plenty of chances. We’ve given him low pressure appearances, we’ve given him save chances, we’ve given him clean innings. There’s no more “getting him back on track”. He can not be used right now and he is not the closer on this team. He can’t throw the ball over the plate. Just last week we brought him in against the last place team in the conference in a save situation and he loaded the bases twice in the last two innings.

We’ve done all we can to try to right through ship with him. He’s had the low pressure outings against the midweek cream puffs, he’s pitched in middle relief and in the 9th. It’s not working. We need to stop trying to bend over backwards to make it work.

Yep. Shut him down. 

Gee, I wonder who Tristan inherited those runs from? Nixon came on with a man on 2nd with 0 outs, Texas down 3-1 and exited with runners on first and second with 0 outs, Texas down 5-1. Stevens comes on, throws one shitty pitch, then records 9 outs without putting a man on base.
Stevens was poor as a starter and has excelled out of the pen. Nixon has been shit out of the pen all season. If you think they are comparable in terms of what can be expected from them at this point in the season then I don't know what to tell you. Nixon needs to be shelved and Stevens will be someone we rely on in high pressure situations out of the pen in the postseason. 

He hasn’t been shit out of the pen all season. Quit making up shit. Just like him losing more games than anyone. That was wrong. Emotional bullshit. Stevens has given up 6 ERs in 13 relief innings. At least two HRs. That is not excelling. And in one game, it shows 1 ER when he allowed 8 runners over a 1.1 innings. And he allowed both inherited runners to score. In relief versus WVU in game 3, he promptly came in and gave up the lead and took the loss. The only game he entered with a lead in which we led less than 3 runs was Houston Baptist. We weren’t losing that. One was tied (we lost, he lost). One we were behind (yesterday).

Is it consistent to think Stevens deserves more opportunities but not Nixon? No, that’s inconsistent bullshit. One has swing and miss stuff. One doesn’t. One has given up 20 XBH in 70 innings. One has given up 6 in 30. Is it wrong to think Stevens can be trusted more at this point? Not necessarily. Again, Nixons two really crappy outings were finished off by another dude coming in and giving up a Jack. He’s had quite a few mediocre outings.

Nothing about yesterday’s game said we were winning Nixon or no Nixon.

Half the damn staff has the same issue as Nixon. Southard, Morehouse, Stehle. They’ve all done enough to warrant to chances, but control issues get them in trouble. They all need to start with a clean inning. If their control is suspect after two batters, pull em. And don’t replace them with another who struggles with control.

He may be best on the team in Ks/9, hits/9, and HRs given up/9. But sure never let him step foot on the mound this year. Especially since we have no 3rd starter, we have no designated setup man, our closer has never closed a high pressure situation and only have 4/5 reliable guys.

There is no consistency in Pierces approach to him. That’s my point. He could come in the 7th, 8th or 9th for a save chance. He could enter late behind In the game. He could enter early without having pitched in a week. He could be middle relief. I gave you a rundown last of last year. He’s a 1 inning pitcher with an occasional extension beyond that but he’s never proven to be 2+ inning guy or extended + back to back guy, meaning go 2 innings then come back next day.

His two crappiest games this year. Saturday versus Tech. He went 2+ Friday then immediately came back but only cause we blew a 4 run 8th inning lead. (Not due to him). I understand why Pierce brought him in. There absolutely is legitimacy to discounting that appearance. And again Duplantier gave up the Jack.

His other crappy game was yesterday. How often has he entered a game in the 3rd when we are down? Add in that he didn’t start the inning. Add in he hasn’t pitched in over a week (less than ideal for control issues). Yes, if I’m evaluating, I’m disappointed with the effort, but I’m also discounting it for these reasons. Also ask yourself if he was looking to go multiple innings because if so that changes his mental approach.

I realize you cannot take those games out but otherwise he’s had 23 appearances given up 8 runs in 30 innings. Only given up runs in 6 of 23 games.

Stevens has 3 saves with a 3 run or more lead. One was a third of an inning. The longest outing 1.1 innings. The other teams were so hot they had scored 5 runs on 13 hits in those 3 games. Nixon never had a single save opportunity with a 3 run lead. He had several multiple inning chances and multiple 1 run chances. And the opponent was hitting the damn ball. Air Force 24 runs in two games (and about 60 in their next four). OSU scored 32 in 3 games. Tech scored 16 in that one game.

I believe you highlighted his struggles versus KU. The objective is to not allow runs. He gave up 1 in 2 innings that game. The same game Stevens gave up 2 runs in 1.1 and allowed 8 base runners. When Nixon entered it was a multiple inning save with only a 2 run lead. He also pitched a clean inning the day before. So two days, 3 innings, 1 run. He did his job.

Refer to my post just now to ztejas (or not) for more info.

It was previously pointed out that he blew fewer saves than people believed. Perception versus reality. Again, it’s frustrating. But there’s too many positives and too little consistent depth to throw Nixon on the trash heap for the remainder of the season.

For any that have read, sorry for being too long winded. It’s part frustration but part education of myself.

Just win baby. Whatever it takes.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There is no consistency in Pierces approach to him. That’s my point. He could come in the 7th, 8th or 9th for a save chance. He could enter late behind In the game. He could enter early without having pitched in a week. He could be middle relief. I gave you a rundown last of last year. He’s a 1 inning pitcher with an occasional extension beyond that but he’s never proven to be 2+ inning guy or extended + back to back guy, meaning go 2 innings then come back next day.

His two crappiest games this year. Saturday versus Tech. He went 2+ Friday then immediately came back but only cause we blew a 4 run 8th inning lead. (Not due to him). I understand why Pierce brought him in. There absolutely is legitimacy to discounting that appearance. And again Duplantier gave up the Jack.

His other crappy game was yesterday. How often has he entered a game in the 3rd when we are down? Add in that he didn’t start the inning. Add in he hasn’t pitched in over a week (less than ideal for control issues). Yes, if I’m evaluating, I’m disappointed with the effort, but I’m also discounting it for these reasons. Also ask yourself if he was looking to go multiple innings because if so that changes his mental approach.

I realize you cannot take those games out but otherwise he’s had 23 appearances given up 8 runs in 30 innings. Only given up runs in 6 of 23 games.

Stevens has 3 saves with a 3 run or more lead. One was a third of an inning. The longest outing 1.1 innings. The other teams were so hot they had scored 5 runs on 13 hits in those 3 games. Nixon never had a single save opportunity with a 3 run lead. He had several multiple inning chances and multiple 1 run chances. And the opponent was hitting the damn ball. Air Force 24 runs in two games (and about 60 in their next four). OSU scored 32 in 3 games. Tech scored 16 in that one game.

I believe you highlighted his struggles versus KU. The objective is to not allow runs. He gave up 1 in 2 innings that game. The same game Stevens gave up 2 runs in 1.1 and allowed 8 base runners. When Nixon entered it was a multiple inning save with only a 2 run lead. He also pitched a clean inning the day before. So two days, 3 innings, 1 run. He did his job.

Refer to my post just now to ztejas (or not) for more info.

It was previously pointed out that he blew fewer saves than people believed. Perception versus reality. Again, it’s frustrating. But there’s too many positives and too little consistent depth to throw Nixon on the trash heap for the remainder of the season.

For any that have read, sorry for being too long winded. It’s part frustration but part education of myself.

Just win baby. Whatever it takes.

Man, no one wants players on this team to succeed more than I do. It’s tournament time now. There is a circle of trust in the postseason and Nixon is not in it and we all need to accept it. If he was in the circle of trust he would have thrown in one of the first 4 games this week. There’s a reason he goes a week between appearances. He can not be trusted. He can’t throw strikes man. I know the ERA and all that stuff is important but he has walked almost 1 batter an inning. That is not sustainable at any level of baseball. 

I am not giving up on him. Maybe he presses the reset button this offseason and returns to form. But it isn’t happening this year man. We are 61 games in. Our eyes don’t lie.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

That was an amazing Regional though we all had to stay up until like 1:30am central time to watch the games.

Fucking Cantu 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Also remember in like the 7th(?) or so, we had 2 on 1 out and Kacy and Boswell due up. They both went down looking. That fucking hurt. Hey! At least we get Gordon back next year. Nick Kennedy just exploded onto the scene for about 2  and half months then bailed.