Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

6 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I am surprised given all the Cuban players that Major League Baseball has been so silent in support of the Cuban people. It is not like it has a policy against making political statements.

Risky to assume all Cuban players are in support...I remember watching some of the Tiananmen goings-on with a Chinese student at UT and to all of our shock he was rabid n support of the gov't, saying shit like "these people need to be crushed." Yeah, that was a smaller uprising, relatively speaking, but to assume that it's the gov't and the secret police vs everybody is dangerous.

14 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I am surprised given all the Cuban players that Major League Baseball has been so silent in support of the Cuban people. It is not like it has a policy against making political statements.

They also have family in Cuba.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Any news today on what is happening on the ground in Cuba? @atomheartbevo @Xian @Nicole44 thanks for sharing news. Hook 'em

Only one we have been able to get in contact with is my SiL who lives near the  Havana embassy district. She has some way to get on internet due to her location (I assume hotspots set up by foreign governments).  She is staying at home due to her young kid, but the rest have gone dark due to lack of internet and phones. 

hoping for the best 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Risky to assume all Cuban players are in support...I remember watching some of the Tiananmen goings-on with a Chinese student at UT and to all of our shock he was rabid n support of the gov't, saying shit like "these people need to be crushed." Yeah, that was a smaller uprising, relatively speaking, but to assume that it's the gov't and the secret police vs everybody is dangerous.

The issue is that they all have family still in cuba.   They don’t want to risk them by coming out against the government. 

loon what Yuli had to go through when coming here.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm 99.9999% certain the Cuban government knows where every one of their families live.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ballsy move for the MLB players would be to find a way to get home and stand beside your family in the revolution.  Probably not going to happen.  The worst move would be to criticize the government from afar so your grandparents and cousins can be rounded up and tortured/executed.  Not shocking that most are taking the middle ground.  I would bet a bunch of them are stocking the boats in Miami trying to head south.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

True, but it is not like every player (MLB and other leagues) support their respective political statements.

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The ballsy move for the MLB players would be to find a way to get home and stand beside your family in the revolution.  Probably not going to happen.  The worst move would be to criticize the government from afar so your grandparents and cousins can be rounded up and tortured/executed.  Not shocking that most are taking the middle ground.  I would bet a bunch of them are stocking the boats in Miami trying to head south.

Some of the players have issued some hot sports opinions individually. I wish MLB had their courage.

2 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Do you think anything worse than occurred when they defected?

That’s a reasonable opinion, but I’m guessing the retribution for trying to overthrow the government would be a little more severe than hopping on a boat to go play pro baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s a reasonable opinion, but I’m guessing the retribution for trying to overthrow the government would be a little more severe than hopping on a boat to go play pro baseball.

Also a reasonable opinion. Given some high profile players individual actions, the risk some already present: Chapman and Garcia (incidentally the only bright spot in the dumpster fire of a season) as well as Puig (what happened to that guy?).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cuban-mlb-players-show-support-for-protests-taking-place-in-cuba/ar-AAM9YDc

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Also a reasonable opinion. Given some high profile players individual actions, the risk some already present: Chapman and Garcia (incidentally the only bright spot in the dumpster fire of a season) as well as Puig (what happened to that guy?).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/cuban-mlb-players-show-support-for-protests-taking-place-in-cuba/ar-AAM9YDc

Good for them.  That’s a hard choice that I hope I don’t ever have to make.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Also, some of that MLB money is flowing back into Cuba, and into the pockets of various government officials (have to use American bucks to get the good stuff in some cases).

9 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I can imagine those players have been paying certain officials heavily for “protection “ back home all this time, but now the “protectors” may have a different set of demands.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You really can’t have any half measures here. They could topple the government but they have to go all out. The moment there is a back down it breaks, the government rounds everyone up and it’s a firing squad. 
Our founding fathers understood this well. We all stand together or hang apart. 
that was a 33/33/33 type of thing which I assume isn’t too far off from where they are. If the people that want change are resolute they will get it. If not they will be disappeared soon. 
God bless them and good luck. Mans natural state of longing Is for liberty. 

liberty in case you've forgotten, is a soul's right to breathe. And when I cannot take a long breath, laws are girdled too tight

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Are Will Smith and Martin Lawrence busy?

We need to send in the big guns on this.  People who actually know Cuba.

Where the Hell is James Bond in all of this?  How about Michael Corleone or even Hyman Roth?? 

Jeezzz...I'd even send in Ricky Ricardo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

This, especially when the gov't knows money will be coming back to the island, thus taking (however minimal) a family somewhat off the tit.  Not trying to go all CR

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Must have missed it then.  Either way, it seems the coverage of this is rather "meh"

It really is.  I know CNN has become a joke, but at least they seem to cover the important shit, both domestic and foreign.  But if you've looked at its website over the past week there's barely a mention of Cuba. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Must have missed it then.  Either way, it seems the coverage of this is rather "meh"

There's something like 150 dead in the South Africa kerfuffle, and hundreds are dead in German flooding (including people dying on live TV).  And there's some political stuff about something that happened between November and January that is taking up a lot of screen real estate.

And there's not many American journalists on the ground who are willing to risk their lives to get video and blast it out.  That one AP photographer goes from covering the hurricane to looking like he went a few rounds with Hurricane Carter..

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's something like 150 dead in the South Africa kerfuffle, and hundreds are dead in German flooding (including people dying on live TV).  And there's some political stuff about something that happened between November and January that is taking up a lot of screen real estate.

Sure, there's lots going on.  But this is the most significant uprising in quite some time in a nearby country in which the U.S. has had keen political interest over the past half century.  To me that merits a lot more bandwidth than the mainstream media has been giving.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My Spanish is rusty and I am not going to run this through a translator since I'd have to type it (it's a screenshot of a text message), but it sounds like they are calling on students to protest tomorrow

E6bEJ0rWYAAjjXO?format=jpg&name=large

I believe "atencion" means attention.  Beyond that, I think there's mention of a keg party, but my Spanglish isn't so good.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Sure, there's lots going on.  But this is the most significant uprising in quite some time in a nearby country in which the U.S. has had keen political interest over the past half century.  To me that merits a lot more bandwidth than the mainstream media has been giving.

!00% agree, but unfortunately our media is hyper-focused on some book(s) that just came out (or pretending said books didn't come out), and European media is focused on the massive flooding and South Africa.  Haiti is taking up a bunch of screen real estate, because it's got lots of sexiness - assassins trained in America, etc.  And the Delta covid variant is starting to stir shit back up and put people in hospitals.

And the Cuban government, to their credit, didn't start slaughtering people (yet).  A handful of dead is not going to get a lot of attention right now.

It's like how Elgato announced their Stream Deck, a device to help YouTube/Twitch/etc. streamers, on the same day as Valve announced their Steam Deck, a portable PC gaming device.

The CNN guy in Havana is basically retweeting the war of words between the US and Cuban governments.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Right.  It's on own backyard as well.  I have my own cloaky thoughts on why so many try to make this about embargos, and medical issues, etc.  Sure those all play a part, but this seems more to be about six decades of repression and anger spilling over.  I just pray the bloodshed is minimal, but if history teaches us anything.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the Cuban government, to their credit, didn't start slaughtering people (yet).  A handful of dead is not going to get a lot of attention right now.

They are playing it "smart" in a Machiavellian way by making people just disappear....which is much more sinister, and to their credit, effective.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They are playing it "smart" in a Machiavellian way by making people just disappear....which is much more sinister, and to their credit, effective.  

It gets better.  The government is claiming those folks who disappeared are hiding in the mountains.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Right.  It's on own backyard as well.  I have my own cloaky thoughts on why so many try to make this about embargos, and medical issues, etc.  Sure those all play a part, but this seems more to be about six decades of repression and anger spilling over.  I just pray the bloodshed is minimal, but if history teaches us anything.....

Read through this guy's tweets.  He's got a very nuanced view of things (and it's plenty of politics, so I'm not going to quote it here).  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It gets better.  The government is claiming those folks who disappeared are hiding in the mountains.

Read through this guy's tweets.  He's got a very nuanced view of things (and it's plenty of politics, so I'm not going to quote it here).  

Sums it up well:

Cuba is admirable in many ways and I've always said this. The United States is to blame for a lot when it comes to Cuba. Yet that doesn't mean Cuba hasn't mismanaged it's economy and upheld repressive policies.

It’s not like we can work out any deal with their govt. “stop oppressing the fuck out of your people and we will give you aid…” we will lift the embargo if you stop starving and oppressing your people…” I realize we can’t and/or we won’t conduct a military op… the citizens have to topple the government. I hope they can do it…

• Hook 'Em 1