Why is GTA 6 taking so gd long to make and release?

usmc0331horn

How many consoles ago was GTA V and they aren't even close to a new one? What a weird era in gaming.
GTA V continues to make buckets of money. To a lesser extent, they would probably like to let the next gen consoles expand into more homes.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
5 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:
How many consoles ago was GTA V and they aren't even close to a new one? What a weird era in gaming.

GTA V continues to make buckets of money. To a lesser extent, they would probably like to let the next gen consoles expand into more homes.

People keep playing it? Like get a new universe please.

GTA Online has been pulling in damn near a BILLION(!!!) dollars each year on microtransactions, so R* doesn't really have much of a reason to put effort into a new GTA game. Shit, even RDR online is doing pretty well. I'm with ya, I'd love another massive single player GTA in a new location, but there's a much better business case for just turning the MTX money crank

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

GTA Online has been pulling in damn near a BILLION(!!!) dollars each year on microtransactions, so R* doesn't really have much of a reason to put effort into a new GTA game. Shit, even RDR online is doing pretty well. I'm with ya, I'd love another massive single player GTA in a new location, but there's a much better business case for just turning the MTX money crank

I'm old and not really an online gamer so I don't really know how any of that works. They pay for new extensions and then in-game purchases constantly? I just don't even remotely understand playing the same game doing new missions for years and years and years but  then again when I was more into games they'd have a new one come out every other year or so.

57 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

I'm old and not really an online gamer so I don't really know how any of that works. They pay for new extensions and then in-game purchases constantly? I just don't even remotely understand playing the same game doing new missions for years and years and years but  then again when I was more into games they'd have a new one come out every other year or so.

It's not my bag either, but online is where the money is at these days.  They aren't paying for more single player campaigns, online is a giant sandbox full of actual players engaging in a lot of anarchy.  The purchases are generally going to be upgrades to your character/equipment.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:44 AM, LonghornSean said:

Yep. I'm sure they are working on it to some degree, but GTA V online continues to rake in cash. So there's no hurry. Wish I had gotten into Red Dead online, but buds and I mainly play Warzone and Rocket League, so I'm waiting for the next GTA to get us all in a crew.

Why in the hell do people want to keep playing a game they beat 8 years ago?

10 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

There's a massive online community of folks playing GTA:Online. It's a surprisingly active role playing scene, in addition to people just liking the hamster-wheel-esque progression

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 9:46 PM, usmc0331horn said:

You don’t “beat” or “finish” the online part. They put out new DLC’s about twice a year and the DLC’s are free. That’s how the game is lasting this long. And believe it or not, new people are playing it every day. Think I saw something like 150 million “units” have been sold across all the consoles. Unreal. 

and I bet for those waiting until GTA6 to finally start playing again, y’all will be waiting another 2-3 years. Covid hasn’t helped speed the process up either. 

I keep feeling like I'm missing out and then I hop on and remember that I want to be able to pause and I don't want to interact with other real life people who are going to pop in and blow my shit up. So I go fuck around in single player and go offroading or make the cops chase me to the airport, steal a plane, etc. I don't think a new game every 5 years is too much to ask, come on.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, Celery Man said:

I keep feeling like I'm missing out and then I hop on and remember that I want to be able to pause and I don't want to interact with other real life people who are going to pop in and blow my shit up. So I go fuck around in single player and go offroading or make the cops chase me to the airport, steal a plane, etc. I don't think a new game every 5 years is too much to ask, come on.

Fucking A. 

I get that kids to 20 somethings would be into that aspect of the game but im just not into the real other people participance because, well, people are sorta shitty. They snipe you or plant a prox mine on your car when you hop into a clothing store. I just dont have 4hrs to fuck around, I’d like to play the game and have a more reliable experience. 

I still fuck around with Madden (I can say this with no ego, I’m fucking really good) but people get so fucking mad when you beat them or just cut power to their console to try and avoid the loss, then there’s the whole social hierarchy aspect too that I’m not into. In all the years (>15) I’ve played while mic’ed I’ve only made like 4 actual gamer friends who are pretty fun to play with. The rest is usually just a stream of below average shit talking and racial slurs. Also, for some reason people usual assume I’m black which if nothing else will give me a keyhole into the crazy racial prejudice that exists for black guys on live

Edited by Doc Reeves

OR, get better and just enjoy getting revenge on them. That's what i do lol

but i have been running into more "god mode" players lately. That can be aggravating but i just change rooms. Just be sure to stay out of the Middle Eastern rooms. I have a gamer friend in China and when i join him we get into those rooms. Boy, what a clusterfuck those are haha

I downloaded a program (forgot the name) that you start up before you start your game and it keeps you in a solo online lobby. It just kicks people out before they can even get in. So I could run my cocaine or weed sales without being bothered, it was great. 

*Edit* It's called Guardian, I think. I haven't played in at least a year and a half, so I don't even know it it still works.

Edited by Sandman

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I downloaded a program (forgot the name) that you start up before you start your game and it keeps you in a solo online lobby. It just kicks people out before they can even get in. So I could run my cocaine or weed sales without being bothered, it was great. 

*Edit* It's called Guardian, I think. I haven't played in at least a year and a half, so I don't even know it it still works.

You used to be able to go into your Xbox settings and test your NAT and it would kick everyone out. They fixed that glitch about a month ago. Too bad cause jumping room to room to find one with less that 10 people sucks. 

On 8/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, Celery Man said:

I know that remastering games is tired but man if they’re coming out with remastered 3, VC, and SA on switch in the coming months I’m excited. I have an <1 year old kid, will get mileage out of that and I was just thinking how I’d love to revisit Vice City

Good to teach the kid young about carjacking and beating up prostitutes 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:51 AM, Celery Man said:

I know that remastering games is tired but man if they’re coming out with remastered 3, VC, and SA on switch in the coming months I’m excited. I have an <1 year old kid, will get mileage out of that and I was just thinking how I’d love to revisit Vice City

Yea I've been thinking of getting a switch for a long while and I think this might have sealed the deal.

I'm here for a Vice City remake.  It was that game that got me to buy a PS2 - played it once at a friend's house and went out and got a new console the next week.  I think that's the only GTA game that I got to 100% completion.  Hopefully they adopted the later games engine for riding a motorcycle.  I loved flying around on those things in Vice City, but if you even nicked any kind of obstacle you were going to get yeeted across the map.  I'm pretty sure I could hop in a car in Vice City right now and still fly around all over the map.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I'm here for a Vice City remake.  It was that game that got me to buy a PS2 - played it once at a friend's house and went out and got a new console the next week.  I think that's the only GTA game that I got to 100% completion.  Hopefully they adopted the later games engine for riding a motorcycle.  I loved flying around on those things in Vice City, but if you even nicked any kind of obstacle you were going to get yeeted across the map.  I'm pretty sure I could hop in a car in Vice City right now and still fly around all over the map.

sort of a wild thing to think about - you can play that game on the phone in your pocket now

• 5 months later...

The last one was so good.  I was never a giant fan of the franchise even though I got them all, I had never finished one before the last one.  RDR is their best franchise.  I'd love to see them do an RPG in a more traditional RPG setting.  I'm sure it would be epic.

• 7 months later...

it is just fucking maddening. Between 2001 and 2013 we had GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, Lost and the Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, and GTA V. And fucking nothing for a decade.  I can't believe they haven't even given us some single player expansion stuff a la LATD or BOGT. Buying shit for online gaming has ruined gaming.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...