What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
With all of the road rage incidents, I'm going to ramp up the defensive driving and not honking my horn.
How much do bulletproof doors and windows cost?

The best defense is a good offense shoot first!

Reminds me of the early 90s Houston Oilers.

It's getting harder and harder to defend this city. I walked with some NAPE out of towners from Pastry Wars to Vic & Anthony's last night. Some highlights : 

- At least two homeless people camped out on every single corner. 

- Dozens of homeless people on Texas Avenue. 

- Port o johns our progressive city government installed for the homeless. 

- A mangey rat the size of a small cat. 

Other than Astros/Rockets games, I see absolutely no reason to go back. 

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's getting harder and harder to defend this city. I walked with some NAPE out of towners from Pastry Wars to Vic & Anthony's last night. Some highlights : 

- At least two homeless people camped out on every single corner. 

- Dozens of homeless people on Texas Avenue. 

- Port o johns our progressive city government installed for the homeless. 

- A mangey rat the size of a small cat. 

Other than Astros/Rockets games, I see absolutely no reason to go back. 

EVERY city has a problem with homeless so unless you want to move to Flatonia, there is some level of dealing with it. We can't even agree on the objectives of dealing with homeless so the chance of tactics being universally agreed upon is zero.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

EVERY city has a problem with homeless so unless you want to move to Flatonia, there is some level of dealing with it. We can't even agree on the objectives of dealing with homeless so the chance of tactics being universally agreed upon is zero.

It's MUCH better in Dallas and Fort Worth because they have laws against panhandling. 

If you allow them to be there, and give them port o johns, they're going to stay. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's MUCH better in Dallas and Fort Worth because they have laws against panhandling. 

If you allow them to be there, and give them port o johns, they're going to stay. 

We're probably not far apart. I'm more critical of people that give money to the panhandlers. They're only asking for money because people are paying them.

• Hook 'Em 2

Re schools, you can do the magnet deal, you know. My daughter lives about five blocks from Westbury HS but goes to Lamar. Back when i was still driving her around, her friends lived all over the place. Some did some shady shit to get bogus addresses in the Lamar hood but others did it thru the program.

I know a well-off dude who came from redneck trash but attended the science magnet at Booker T Washington back when the idea of gentrification in Independence Heights was laughable. He survived.

Getting in the program can be a hassle but you don't absolutely have to live in a neighborhood zoned to one of the hot schools to get your kid in one of those schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not exactly the same thing but the cops and the asset forfeiture squad are going after those idiots who take over parking lots and intersections to do burnouts. To seize an asset it must be used in a felony, and doing burnouts does not qualify. That's only "deadly conduct,' a class A misdemeanor. So the cops dig up the social media of these idiots and they usually find them setting up a burnout meetup, thereby creating a criminal conspiracy to commit deadly conduct: feloniously conspiring to commit misdemeanors.

Something like a quarter of these assholes drive Dodge Chargers or Challengers. The cops seize several weekly. I've followed a few of the cases all the way through and it looks like what ends up happening most often is the county sells you your car back for $1500, and they peel off all stickers and maybe the plates too, so you have to redo all that shit. This is on top of your fines, probation, and possible jail time for the other two charges. (Or more -- sometimes there are drugs, guns or even small children in these cars.)

I'd rather they auctioned the cars off and i am not sure why they don't. Maybe there just aren't enough assholes in the market for Chargers that may (or may not, i don't know) have been sitting idle on an impound lot for months. 

I think a high-publicity murder like this one will bring down a shitrain on the ATV crowd 

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Re schools, you can do the magnet deal, you know. My daughter lives about five blocks from Westbury HS but goes to Lamar. Back when i was still driving her around, her friends lived all over the place. Some did some shady shit to get bogus addresses in the Lamar hood but others did it thru the program.

I know a well-off dude who came from redneck trash but attended the science magnet at Booker T Washington back when the idea of gentrification in Independence Heights was laughable. He survived.

Getting in the program can be a hassle but you don't absolutely have to live in a neighborhood zoned to one of the hot schools to get your kid in one of those schools. 

This. 

15 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's not exactly the same thing but the cops and the asset forfeiture squad are going after those idiots who take over parking lots and intersections to do burnouts. To seize an asset it must be used in a felony, and doing burnouts does not qualify. That's only "deadly conduct,' a class A misdemeanor. So the cops dig up the social media of these idiots and they usually find them setting up a burnout meetup, thereby creating a criminal conspiracy to commit deadly conduct: feloniously conspiring to commit misdemeanors.

Something like a quarter of these assholes drive Dodge Chargers or Challengers. The cops seize several weekly. I've followed a few of the cases all the way through and it looks like what ends up happening most often is the county sells you your car back for $1500, and they peel off all stickers and maybe the plates too, so you have to redo all that shit. This is on top of your fines, probation, and possible jail time for the other two charges. (Or more -- sometimes there are drugs, guns or even small children in these cars.)

I'd rather they auctioned the cars off and i am not sure why they don't. Maybe there just aren't enough assholes in the market for Chargers that may (or may not, i don't know) have been sitting idle on an impound lot for months. 

I think a high-publicity murder like this one will bring down a shitrain on the ATV crowd 

It’s also likely that the police discover the murderers relatively soon. One of them will get picked up for a crime that would put them in prison and will turn on their friends in a second.

And you’re right that I bet the cops are beefing up patrols and finding excuses to stop people that look like the suspects in terms of age, race and vehicles.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s also likely that the police discover the murderers relatively soon. One of them will get picked up for a crime that would put them in prison and will turn on their friends in a second.

And you’re right that I bet the cops are beefing up patrols and finding excuses to stop people that look like the suspects in terms of age, race and vehicles.

There's an asshole in every crowd who ruins all the "fun."

But this reminds me of one of the scariest sights I ever saw in Houston...An uncle of mine died of AIDS when I was a senior in HS and i had the keys to his house on Yupon, one block north of Westheimer. This was the tail end of the age of cruising Westheimer, when Friday and Saturday nights, you'd have gridlock from Bagby to Kirby and sometimes all the way to the loop. 

My buddy fixed some drinks and went down to check out the action on foot. So we were sitting there on the curb and this gang of about six vatos came wading through the traffic on foot and I don't know what transpired, but they just descended on this dude behind the wheel of a white convertible. Just beating the shit out of him....they pulled him out of the car so they could have more area they could pummel on this dude...Meanwhile his girlfriend's over there screaming in the shotgun seat. We were scared we were next but I don't think these dudes saw us, and they just continued walking east down Westheimer laughing and high-fiving and leaving that dude behind a bloody mess. 

Oil Bust Houston man. We were giving New Orleans a run for their money there for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

There's an asshole in every crowd who ruins all the "fun."

But this reminds me of one of the scariest sights I ever saw in Houston...An uncle of mine died of AIDS when I was a senior in HS and i had the keys to his house on Yupon, one block north of Westheimer. This was the tail end of the age of cruising Westheimer, when Friday and Saturday nights, you'd have gridlock from Bagby to Kirby and sometimes all the way to the loop. 

My buddy fixed some drinks and went down to check out the action on foot. So we were sitting there on the curb and this gang of about six vatos came wading through the traffic on foot and I don't know what transpired, but they just descended on this dude behind the wheel of a white convertible. Just beating the shit out of him....they pulled him out of the car so they could have more area they could pummel on this dude...Meanwhile his girlfriend's over there screaming in the shotgun seat. We were scared we were next but I don't think these dudes saw us, and they just continued walking east down Westheimer laughing and high-fiving and leaving that dude behind a bloody mess. 

Oil Bust Houston man. We were giving New Orleans a run for their money there for a while. 

Some people are just looking to cause trouble. Reminds me of the old saying that “ nothing good happens after ________” I don’t believe that to be totally true but it’s always good to keep an eye on the situation around you.  Not that you can avoid trouble in every situation.

13 hours ago, Stella Link said:

2 shot at Galleria-area restaurant (Grotto), suspects on the run, HPD says

https://abc13.com/grotto-restaurant-shooting-suspects-on-the-run-westheimer-galleria-area/10966600/

Unreal. 

Imagine coming to Houston for a getaway, from NOLA of all places, and getting shot and killed while just eating dinner.

Fuck.

Coincidentally, my wife and I were driving through that area at the time and were actually in an argument because she decided to flip someone the bird.  SMH

This one seems fishy. A couple of robbers would have better odds of a bigger score if they simply went a couple of blocks west and waited for some unsuspecting housewife to waltz out of Tiffany or something. Doing it in daylight when the odds of them being identified would be higher, also seems odd.

I wonder if it was a hit on the cop with a few wallets/watches/whatever lifted in the process to provide a smokescreen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Player said:

This one seems fishy. A couple of robbers would have better odds of a bigger score if they simply went a couple of blocks west and waited for some unsuspecting housewife to waltz out of Tiffany or something. Doing it in daylight when the odds of them being identified would be higher, also seems odd.

I wonder if it was a hit on the cop with a few wallets/watches/whatever lifted in the process to provide a smokescreen.

Obviously none of know if there is more to this other than a robbery/killing but the fact that the victim is a police officer needs to be looked at. It wouldn’t be unprecedented that there is more to the motive. 

robbing a few people on a restaurant patio might only earn you less than $100. Not to mention that you could find yourself boxed in a small parking lot. But criminals can also be very stupid.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Obviously none of know if there is more to this other than a robbery/killing but the fact that the victim is a police officer needs to be looked at. It wouldn’t be unprecedented that there is more to the motive. 

robbing a few people on a restaurant patio might only earn you less than $100. Not to mention that you could find yourself boxed in a small parking lot. But criminals can also be very stupid.

Small parking lot, tons of traffic at all times of day/night, and there’s usually police officers directing traffic nearby in Highland Village. Pretty brazen. 

I’m guessing dumb ass young thugs, but... you never in Houston with police officer shootings. 

4 hours ago, Player said:

I agree - most criminals might be stupid but this one doesn't add up. The fact that a police officer was killed and that it occurred on one of Fertitta's properties leads me to believe the culprits will definitely be caught, but I wouldn't be surprised if their punishment gets administered outside a court of law.

There are some nice spots on that corner but if you get out and walk around Westheimer at Fondren is sketch as fuck....A friend of mine has this belief that it is the hottest spot in Houston, literally. It's so surrounded by concrete and asphalt and bathed in exhaust its about ten degrees hotter there than what the weatherman says. All up and own Westheimer from the Galleria to bumfuck there are hidden colonies of bums and those apartment complexes are hives of scum and villainy, along with some nice hardworking immigrant families. It's happy hunting ground for Houston's Gypsies and their wobbly wheel tricks and other scams; sugar babies prowl the steakhouses. About half the time you are tootling around there oblivious somebody's got their eye on you to see what you might be good for. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

There are some nice spots on that corner but if you get out and walk around Westheimer at Fondren is sketch as fuck....A friend of mine has this belief that it is the hottest spot in Houston, literally. It's so surrounded by concrete and asphalt and bathed in exhaust its about ten degrees hotter there than what the weatherman says. All up and own Westheimer from the Galleria to bumfuck there are hidden colonies of bums and those apartment complexes are hives of scum and villainy, along with some nice hardworking immigrant families. It's happy hunting ground for Houston's Gypsies and their wobbly wheel tricks and other scams; sugar babies prowl the steakhouses. About half the time you are tootling around there oblivious somebody's got their eye on you to see what you might be good for. 

You basically just described 90% of Houston within the beltway.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And this is where Uncle Boobs eats?

Late to the game, but the Grotto shooting sure looks like a professional hit. Dead cop was a narc. Plenty of bad guys out there with motive. 5:15 PM. Westheimer at 610. I can’t think of worse place to commit a random robbery. Also, there must have been five other guys on that same patio that would look like easier and more affluent marks to any crook.

My first thought was the dead cop did something stupid like try to grab his own gun, but witnesses say different. Buddy of mine ate there tonight. Spoke to manager. Manager said perps yelled, “Hands up.” Cop and friend complied. Then shooting started. No video camera coverage of the patio.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It’s simpler to name the parts of Houston that aren’t sketchy as fuck. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta? Worse than Detroit?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Sounds like something Joe Friday would say at the opening of a Dragnet episode....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Is this going to be included in a short story, novel or a original movie script?

Sounds much like part of a David Lindsey novel.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With the NOPD connection, I’d definitely say the gumbo is rotten on this one.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bernard said:

Late to the game, but the Grotto shooting sure looks like a professional hit. Dead cop was a narc. Plenty of bad guys out there with motive. 5:15 PM. Westheimer at 610. I can’t think of worse place to commit a random robbery. Also, there must have been five other guys on that same patio that would look like easier and more affluent marks to any crook.

My first thought was the dead cop did something stupid like try to grab his own gun, but witnesses say different. Buddy of mine ate there tonight. Spoke to manager. Manager said perps yelled, “Hands up.” Cop and friend complied. Then shooting started. No video camera coverage of the patio.

Bernard

this is where i'm at...doesnt add up. plenty of better licks in both directions... and in typical fashion, traffic. you aint getting out of that intersection anytime soon. this was a hit.

23 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

poetry 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Looked at a property in the Pecan Grove/Richmond area today. A big middle finger to Harris County and Houston may coming soon. 

Houston is shifty, so I’ll move somewhere shittier???? Nice logic. 🙂

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Haha 1