Reservation Dogs

Scary Stranger

So we bailed on S1 after E1 to go back to S1 and start over again. The first season means more knowing all the relationships shown in S2. The arc with Elena’s grandmother dying, the girls trip to the convention, and the decolonization session are as powerful as they are funny. Bev’s emergence as a champion snagged is so funny.

I’m really hacked off we’re only getting three seasons. I want these adventures to continue as well as the glimpse into NA life. We’ll really miss it. A-Ho!

if you didn't stick around for the post-credits extended Big-Bev scene, it's hysterical

Holy shit that was awesome! You could everyone start to lose it as they kept going

Edit- just catching up, watched the IHS episode last night. Loved the crew together again. Also Cheese has those sweet moment, his “oh my you’re really beautiful!” when he puts his glasses on and sees her clearly for the first time.

It wasn’t my favorite but kinda cool to see their interpretations of all the elders.

The dudes who did Brownie and Bucky nailed them. I had to look them up to see if either of them might actually be related to Gary Farmer and Wes Studi…

It was an interesting look at what shaped the elders. Mabel wanting to raise a big family and doing so, Brownie being a basically the same and Rez Dog’s “Wooderson”, Bucky having cosmic aspirations and ending up being a cosmic artist. Even Irene (Cheese’s “adopted” grandmother got her little part and damn I love Quannah Chasinghorse, she is so damn hot.

I think the Maximus story was the odd-man out story, we just met him a couple of episodes ago and it kinda felt like he pushed himself to the outskirts, his problem with Fixico seems like self-inflicted. I also feel it helped shape Fixico from being a bad medicine man to his future as a medicine man for Okern…

But damn Quannah Chasinghorse is smoke. Makes me wish Mexico registered blood quantum as well!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, Speedtrucker said:

But damn Quannah Chasinghorse is smoke. Makes me wish Mexico registered blood quantum as well!

Amen. I was really digging the 70s hippie look, but I'm sure she pulls off anything. Those glasses did her well. 

I just went back to read the Rolling Stone review of this episode and catch up on who was who. I only caught Brownie (obvs the accent gave that away), but making the connections made this episode a lot better to me. It's definitely a show about the gang, but it's also a show about the Rez how it affects those within the boundaries. Putting the gang's situations into a deeper context and into perspective that their issues are very similar to those that came before them. I'm with it. Bear's experiences with the supernatural are kind of weird though. I'm not sure the point of having Bear face a "will he won't he turn into Maximus" situation.... but maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. 

I enjoyed the elders as kids episode a lot, probably because even though it wasn't the kids all playing off each other, it was the same spirit.

It always makes me feel old to realize that I'm the same age as the Aunties.  That episode where it starts off with them doing a choreographed dance to "Sittin' Up In My Room" is something I swear to Christ I saw girls I went to school with do on the playground, and probably had a 4th grade chub as a result.

I didn't like Maximus in the present tense, and I don't like him any more after knowing his backstory.  He's the quintessential self saboteur that didn't have to end up as fucking weird and awkward as they are, but some kind of fucked up sense of pride lead them into it.  I've had more of those guys enter my life than I'd like.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I liked the episode and would like it more if I had a family tree where I could know who was who instantly. I’ve looked and haven’t seen one.

I liked the 70’s scene as it really puts things in perspective of how the elders were shaped by their childhood and respective elders. I think that is part of the story here; that the primary dynamic of passing on traditions, ritual, beliefs, spirituality is incumbent on elders delivering to the children, basically grandparents teaching grandchildren, with parents responsible for working. It’s the same in every culture still focused on passing down and something we miss in our modern so iety

On 9/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I liked the episode and would like it more if I had a family tree where I could know who was who instantly. I’ve looked and haven’t seen one.

I liked the 70’s scene as it really puts things in perspective of how the elders were shaped by their childhood and respective elders. I think that is part of the story here; that the primary dynamic of passing on traditions, ritual, beliefs, spirituality is incumbent on elders delivering to the children, basically grandparents teaching grandchildren, with parents responsible for working. It’s the same in every culture still focused on passing down and something we miss in our modern so iety

This is absolutely how it worked in my family.  I learned far more about my heritage from my grandparents on either side than I did either of my parents, who were both super busy working while my time was mostly spent as either a latchkey kid or farm employee when not in school.

Haven't finished it up yet, but will soon.  Even though I can't relate to the Native experience, there's a lot in the show that any who grew up in the rural mid-part of this country can heavily identify with.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck me that was a powerful
Episode with great writing and acting. Elora and Ethan were so awkward and reticent to get the story out. Will Elora embrace her new family as she leaves for college?

Only one EP left. Fucking terrible this thing is ending. I really want to keep seeing how this story keeps progressing.

Ethan Hawke nailed that role. He immediately went from Ethan Hawke doing a cameo to just being some down and out Okie in flash. The chemistry worked great for it being a single episode.

Personally, I think Elora is going to embrace Rick and her siblings going forward. Unfortunately, we will not get to see the process of her intergrate into the family. Nor will we get to see Cheese have an awkward discussion about Willow with Rick.

So Sterling Harjo is done with the story and he is moving on. Originally I was respectful of that but now I’m just pissed off a him. The story is obviously not done and we are going to be left with a bunch of loose ends, what ifs, and but now what’s. I also hate that these remarkable actors are being turned out from this great ensemble and this great platform. I want so much more of this show.

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally caught up and watched the Ethan Hawke episode yesterday. I liked it very much but I think some of y'all are going way over the top WRT to that episode. (I'd put both the "Seven Fishes" and "Forks" episodes of The Bear well ahead of it.) Hawke was very, very good and I enjoyed seeing Elora tie her life together a little bit. This entire season has been fantastic but I think the episode with Rita and Cookie packed a harder emotional punch.  

I need to watch again as there are Easter eggs hidden. When Elora was leaving for school she was in her dad’s old truck he wanted to sell. Wife caught that one. I’m assuming she has continued to engage with her new family.

Hard to see but when Bev leads Big out of the woods she’s got him handcuffed on one wrist and she’s leading him with the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

This may just be "end of series" pablum, but I was encouraged? 

I do want to do spin offs. I’m already trying. As soon as we announced the ending, I was like, ‘I think I know of a great feature film that I could do, a Rez Dogs return.’ So, I’m already plotting. It’s just that this story needed to end. This story was about loss and grief and coming of age. And this was the arc that we wanted to tell. It doesn’t mean we can’t pick it back up. But there is not a continuation right now. It could easily come back, but it’ll be something else. And it will be later.

• Like 1

This may just be "end of series" pablum, but I was encouraged? 
I do want to do spin offs. I’m already trying. As soon as we announced the ending, I was like, ‘I think I know of a great feature film that I could do, a Rez Dogs return.’ So, I’m already plotting. It’s just that this story needed to end. This story was about loss and grief and coming of age. And this was the arc that we wanted to tell. It doesn’t mean we can’t pick it back up. But there is not a continuation right now. It could easily come back, but it’ll be something else. And it will be later.

I like that.

He could an anthology style series of different groups, families etc and I’d be down with that

I think my favorite was the elders asking Willie Jack to break ground, and then her speech. She was given the mantle of maintaining the traditions and passing them forward.

Very small but I liked that Jackie has grown up, got rid of her dye job, and was working in the kitchen with the women cooking. I think she and Bear build a life there in okern.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1