Reservation Dogs

Scary Stranger

Yay! Surly steers me to a great one. We raced through Season 1. It's simply brilliant the way the creators navigate the waters of comedy and first-rate drama. We're going to stretch out Season 2. 

I thought Willie Jack (Paulina Alexis) was a boy the first episode or two. Now the young man in me is totally enthralled by her. Every aspect of filmmaking is dead on. Great creative team & great cast.

I'll come back an read all the posts when I'm caught up. I likely wouldn't have tried it without the Longhorn rec.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are the bike rappers midgets?  I'm still a little confused by those guys, but they absolutely crack me up and add a great dimension to the show.  They remind me a little of J Rock and T in Trailer Park Boys.

That's LilMike and FunnyBone.  Brothers, not twins.  52" tall which puts them well under the 4' 10" mark for dwarfism.  Not sure if midget is an acceptable term any longer - but I always understood midget to denote short with proportional limbs as opposed to dwarfs.  I think its just Little People for everyone now - Lil' Peeps in the rapping world.

From the LPA 2015 press release to abolish the "M" word:  The dwarfism community has voiced that they prefer to be referred to as dwarfs, little people, people of short stature or having dwarfism, or simply, and most preferably, by their given name.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That's LilMike and FunnyBone.  Brothers, not twins.  52" tall which puts them well under the 4' 10" mark for dwarfism.  Not sure if midget is an acceptable term any longer - but I always understood midget to denote short with proportional limbs as opposed to dwarfs.  I think its just Little People for everyone now - Lil' Peeps in the rapping world.

From the LPA 2015 press release to abolish the "M" word:  The dwarfism community has voiced that they prefer to be referred to as dwarfs, little people, people of short stature or having dwarfism, or simply, and most preferably, by their given name.

I'm not sure on the term either, and certainly wasn't looking to disparage them. 

My main confusion was whether or not they were adults who were unusually short, or if they were still kids.  Looks like Mike is in his 40's and Bone is in his 30's.

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not sure on the term either, and certainly wasn't looking to disparage them. 

My main confusion was whether or not they were adults who were unusually short, or if they were still kids.  Looks like Mike is in his 40's and Bone is in his 30's.

You really thought those guys were kids?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

You really thought those guys were kids?

I wondered if they were the same age as the actors.  Not like little kids, but 15-18.

That's the age of the characters they're playing, right?  I got the impression they were supposed to be other Rez teenagers.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wondered if they were the same age as the actors.  Not like little kids, but 15-18.

That's the age of the characters they're playing, right?  I got the impression they were supposed to be other Rez teenagers.

No they’re pretty clearly burnout adults still trying to make the rap thing work, that’s kind of the joke.

21 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Yay! Surly steers me to a great one. We raced through Season 1. It's simply brilliant the way the creators navigate the waters of comedy and first-rate drama. We're going to stretch out Season 2. 

I thought Willie Jack (Paulina Alexis) was a boy the first episode or two. Now the young man in me is totally enthralled by her. Every aspect of filmmaking is dead on. Great creative team & great cast.

I'll come back an read all the posts when I'm caught up. I likely wouldn't have tried it without the Longhorn rec.

Skoden shitass

reservation-dogs-willie-jack.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Just caught the new episode. Shoutout to Amber MidThunder. Cool to see her as a typical Liberal Arts major/student leader after playing such a badass in Prey. That little conference reminded me of a few diversity retreats/seminars I went to in undergrad. The painful icebreakers and activities, the weird/inconsistent messaging, and overall the feeling of "why the hell are we here? We can only change so much, the people that need to hear this aren't here." 

That old undertone of grief was back too, and pretty strong. Bear and Elora are going through it, bad, and they don't seem to have anywhere to turn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Just caught the new episode. Shoutout to Amber MidThunder. Cool to see her as a typical Liberal Arts major/student leader after playing such a badass in Prey. That little conference reminded me of a few diversity retreats/seminars I went to in undergrad. The painful icebreakers and activities, the weird/inconsistent messaging, and overall the feeling of "why the hell are we here? We can only change so much, the people that need to hear this aren't here." 

That old undertone of grief was back too, and pretty strong. Bear and Elora are going through it, bad, and they don't seem to have anywhere to turn.

All of this.

Love the development of the conflict between Willie Jack and Jackie.

The entire NARD conference was ripe with comedy.  I am sure as a non-native I didn't catch even half of the underlying humor in those incidents.

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

This one was where having captioning on was a real plus to get the full joke as they spelled her name: MissM8ri@rch

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, NWBuck said:

"Dinosaur Nation" just killed me...

But before them were our Neanderthal relatives, so acknowledge them.  And before that, the Dinosaur Nation, Dinosaur Oyate, you know? Before that, the Star People.  Also, our reptilian relatives, above and below earth.

The faces Cheese and Willie Jack made were so good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Cheese is just kinds there all the time, in a good way, lol. Him asking the dork what the hell he was talking about cracked me up. And “that was really awkward for me” after Bear and Elora had it out, just funny timing in a serious scene, that’s serious writing talent.

Caught up on the last few episodes.  Maron was perfect for that role.  You gotta love Cheese.  Just a solid dude all the way around.

The previous episode was absolutely hilarious to boot.  Cheese trying to get them to explain how holding potatoes between their heads would actually get them to realize decolonization was brilliant.