What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

8 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Any idea why a damn helicopter is flying cicles over NW Hills for the past 15 mins?  It’s got the damn dog next door barking incessantly.

Keep the valuations in check so that you save on property taxes?

20 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Not a government issue, but what the hell?

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/peanut-allergy-lake-travis-high-school-students-football-teammate-severe-allergies

Whatever happened do TPing his yard, or putting icy Hot in his jock.  Hell, even dumping his head in the toilet is better than this.  At least that won't kill him.

Lake Travis, dude.  This probably doesn't crack the top ten list of terrible shit those entitled little twats did to each other in a locker room.   For anyone considering raising your children out there, I have two words:  Baker Mayfield.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, Modessit said:

Jorge Pastore was the SWAT officer who was killed.

On Sunday at around 1:15, we were getting on 183 at Burnet to head home.  Cops had all the ramps closed.  Took us a minute to figure out why, then the procession carrying his body came up 183, then headed onto Mopac heading south.  I presume they were heading to Cook Walden or Weed Corley.  Whole freeway was shut down for a few minutes.

Damned shame.  I do wish we'd hear some more about the actual crime victims at the home.  They matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, one of you "I have degrees in law, medicine, and engineering" types please explain how in the fuck that is possible given the look of the other cars around it.  Some kinda General Lee "ramp hidden under several bales of hay in the middle of an urban thoroughfare for no reason" bullshit or what?  

Also, no judgement on breeds (for another thread).  But hadn't taken the kids to the Book Festival proper in a few years.  When in the fuck did dozens and dozens of Austinites with no children with them decide that the 2 children's author tents was the best place to bring their big dogs?  The kids are there to see illustrators and hear authors...not see dogs.  Your dog is nowhere near as interesting as "Dork Diaries"  

On 11/12/2023 at 8:11 AM, Samson's Wig said:

Lake Travis, dude.  This probably doesn't crack the top ten list of terrible shit those entitled little twats did to each other in a locker room.   For anyone considering raising your children out there, I have two words:  Baker Mayfield.

Yeah- I’m not going to name anybody involved but as we speak multiple members of the football program are engaged in what can only be described as a multi-day anonymous cyberbullying campaign against a former teammate who goes to another school. It’s dishonorable and cowardly and speaks not only to the parents but a complete absence of leadership by the captains of the team and student leaders. I don’t care how they do in the playoffs. Assholes like that have nothing to be proud of.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

but as we speak multiple members of the football program are engaged in what can only be described as a multi-day anonymous cyberbullying campaign against a former teammate who goes to another school

Surly is not a football program per se, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not an educational institution.  So I say screw you, and let Surly continue to cyber bully Baker as we see fit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, Modessit said:

Jorge Pastore was the SWAT officer who was killed.

They just released the shooter's name, Ahmed Mohamed Nassar.  Just so happens one of the first hits is a graduate teaching assistant at UT.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100037802328798

I really hope that's not the shooter, and he didn't have ties with UT, but by the friends list, I can see some red flags there.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:16 AM, Brisketexan said:

On Sunday at around 1:15, we were getting on 183 at Burnet to head home.  Cops had all the ramps closed.  Took us a minute to figure out why, then the procession carrying his body came up 183, then headed onto Mopac heading south.  I presume they were heading to Cook Walden or Weed Corley.  Whole freeway was shut down for a few minutes.

Damned shame.  I do wish we'd hear some more about the actual crime victims at the home.  They matter.

Got a call from AISD a couple of hours ago that Officer Pastore's funeral procession will start tomorrow at 8 am at Mopac/2222, and staging will begin at 7. They're calling to give everyone a heads up because of traffic/school bus schedule delays. Does anyone know if the roads shut down at staging time or procession start time? 

6 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Got a call from AISD a couple of hours ago that Officer Pastore's funeral procession will start tomorrow at 8 am at Mopac/2222, and staging will begin at 7. They're calling to give everyone a heads up because of traffic/school bus schedule delays. Does anyone know if the roads shut down at staging time or procession start time? 

From what I've seen in the past, it's a rolling shutdown, but it's quite a big buffer.

We're leaving town tomorrow morning (from nearby, and we live along the route), but we're taking a back way out to avoid it altogether.  And I expect that it will be MUCH larger than the procession on Sunday.  For the funeral, there will be a law enforcement presence from all over the state - hundreds of cars.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

From what I've seen in the past, it's a rolling shutdown, but it's quite a big buffer.

We're leaving town tomorrow morning (from nearby, and we live along the route), but we're taking a back way out to avoid it altogether.  And I expect that it will be MUCH larger than the procession on Sunday.  For the funeral, there will be a law enforcement presence from all over the state - hundreds of cars.

Yeah, we live northwest off Mopac but my son's school is south of the river and tomorrow is my day for carpool. Is it normal to do this on a weekday at rush hour? Thankfully it's been a long time since an officer died in the line of duty so I don't remember what happened last time. 

14 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yeah, we live northwest off Mopac but my son's school is south of the river and tomorrow is my day for carpool. Is it normal to do this on a weekday at rush hour? Thankfully it's been a long time since an officer died in the line of duty so I don't remember what happened last time. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/map-funeral-procession-route-for-fallen-austin-police-officer/

image.thumb.png.ef78ff9a90485d854ecf2f128c6ca1d2.png

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, austingirl said:

IF you're heading south, you should be okay, as they are going north?

5 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Yeah, I think getting down there is going to be ok; it's the drive home that might be messy. Not a huge deal; it's just something I'm trying to plan for.

It is the Friday before Thanksgiving break right? Let the kids get a 24 hour flu or take them to Taco Bell for dinner. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is the Friday before Thanksgiving break right? Let the kids get a 24 hour flu or take them to Taco Bell for dinner. 

Yeah, I'd consider it if it was just my kid, but I'd still have to drive the other ones in carpool if he wasn't there. So we'll all be stuck in traffic together.

• Hook 'Em 1

7:20 this morning, they came flying down Bee Cave Rd.  TC Sheriff, BCPD, APD, like a 2 mile procession heading to the staging area.  Wasn't but a 2 minute delay, and my son was stoked to see that many motorcycles all lit up.  

Sucks for traffic, but sucks to lose the officer in that manner even more.  Glad the perp doesn't need to go to trial.

• Hook 'Em 1

So…I’ve been building a house for what seems like forever.

City inspections are a nightmare. I have one last thing which is making sure there’s an access panel in a certain spot for electrical.

That one item is the last thing needed for Certificate of Occupancy so I can move my family The Weeknd before Thanksgiving week.

The city inspector doesn’t return calls and told me earlier this week that he only works half days on Fridays because he’s pretty much retired. I called him twice this morning. 

He’s a no show and I can’t move my family in this weekend. What a massive dickhead.

• Rage+1 3

17 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

City inspections are a nightmare. I have one last thing which is making sure there’s an access panel in a certain spot for electrical.

That one item is the last thing needed for Certificate of Occupancy so I can move my family The Weeknd before Thanksgiving week.

The city inspector doesn’t return calls and told me earlier this week that he only works half days on Fridays because he’s pretty much retired. I called him twice this morning. 

He’s a no show and I can’t move my family in this weekend. What a massive dickhead.

Do you vote for or against your incumbent councilman/woman?  I think the fact this is a multi-decade complaint (and one in which pretty much everyone agrees SHOULD be better) justifies a vote against just by itself. 

8 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

We can't even hire more lifeguards.

It's certainly not a lack of tax collection causing these "shortages".    

Exactly. Also, keep in mind how much permitting and inspections cost. We are paying for them. More inspections is more money.

This city is so massively fucked in every possible way.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

He probably didn't want to deal with the funeral procession traffic. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

We had this issue too. Those fuckers will drive up and, if they don't think anyone is there, they'll just drive away. We had to have a person at the house constantly during working hours when they were supposed to show up so they couldn't pull that bullshit and actually do the inspection.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The city can't hire more inspectors? The fuck!

No, they can't. Just as an example (and this could have changed in the last few years, but I doubt it), plumbing inspectors must be master plumbers, but the City doesn't pay them anything close to what a master plumber makes. What master plumber wants that work? That's why so many inspectors are semi-retired and DGAF.

6 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

We had this issue too. Those fuckers will drive up and, if they don't think anyone is there, they'll just drive away. We had to have a person at the house constantly during working hours when they were supposed to show up so they couldn't pull that bullshit and actually do the inspection.

When our pool was built, we had to put a huge note on the front door (so there was no way it could be missed) saying it was ok for them to walk to the back yard.  Otherwise, one knock and gone.

Well, here’s the punchline, and it’s great.

So, all this hullabaloo about the motherfucking inspector not wanting to work on a Friday afternoon, and he pulled an even lazier move for the benefit of everyone.

He marks everything as complete and send the Certificate of Occupancy through the system.

He never showed up, he never returned calls, he never even went through the house for his final inspection.

I have cameras everywhere.

Thats just fine with me but I underestimated him. Just when I thought he couldn’t be any more worthless, he goes and approves everything without showing up at all.

Jesus titty fucking tap dancing Christ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Well, here’s the punchline, and it’s great.

So, all this hullabaloo about the motherfucking inspector not wanting to work on a Friday afternoon, and he pulled an even lazier move for the benefit of everyone.

He marks everything as complete and send the Certificate of Occupancy through the system.

He never showed up, he never returned calls, he never even went through the house for his final inspection.

I have cameras everywhere.

Thats just fine with me but I underestimated him. Just when I thought he couldn’t be any more worthless, he goes and approves everything without showing up at all.

Jesus titty fucking tap dancing Christ.

So, congratulations.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1